Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I understand that this isn't really a gaming mouse question, but I know that Logitech dude posts in here, so... I've lost the receiver for a Logitech K260/M210 wireless keyboard and mouse combo and can't seem to find a replacement to buy anywhere... am I poo poo out of luck? Is there by any slim chance a way of making them work with a unifying receiver?

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

chippy posted:

I understand that this isn't really a gaming mouse question, but I know that Logitech posts in here, so... I've lost the receiver for a Logitech K260/M210 wireless keyboard and mouse combo and can't seem to find a replacement to buy anywhere... am I poo poo out of luck? Is there by any slim chance a way of making them work with a unifying receiver?

I'm not a logitech guy but it looks like that set doesn't work with unifying receivers:
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/article/18069?product=a0qi00000069v2bAAA

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest getting in touch with support. If they'll replace a mouse sight-unseen, they'll probably send a new dongle out in a bubble mailer.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Gave my old G500 work mouse to a coworker, so I could have an excuse to get a Naos 7000. Hope the LOD is small enough for my extreme office mousing. ;)

e: I'm using the mouse that came with an HP Stream Mini right now and it is really small and uncomfortable

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 9, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

After reading this thread and looking at the current mouse offerings, I hope my 7 year old MX518 never breaks. Or hopefully some Amazon or eBay reseller has still some new mx518's for sale.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ihmemies posted:

After reading this thread and looking at the current mouse offerings, I hope my 7 year old MX518 never breaks. Or hopefully some Amazon or eBay reseller has still some new mx518's for sale.

The G400 and G400S are the same size and shape as the MX518. They're no longer current but you can still find the G400S for purchase, last that I checked.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

taqueso posted:

Gave my old G500 work mouse to a coworker, so I could have an excuse to get a Naos 7000. Hope the LOD is small enough for my extreme office mousing. ;)

e: I'm using the mouse that came with an HP Stream Mini right now and it is really small and uncomfortable

It's a great mouse, takes about an hour to get used to being able to move the mouse so easily due to your whole hand being utilized as opposed to just your fingertips.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Ok, after a week using the G303 I've come to the conclusion that I can't hold out anymore. Its sheer accuracy, lightness, and M1/M2 button excellence is unparalleled, but even though I got used to the shape for my grip style, it's literally began cramping my entire forearm somehow. I guess it's all that cumulative movement without significant friction supports for either your thumbs or pinky finger, but it really adds up. Actual forearm pain when I use it within the last 48 hours, to the extent that it ironically lessens my ability to aim properly. This is the most flagrant double-edged sword/mouse I've ever used, lol

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Hey yall I've done a bit of a search in this thread but I'm wondering what the Razer Deathadder is like. Someone mentioned bad drivers or something?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Synapse has or at least used to have a bunch of unnecessary cloud poo poo. Razer also has a reputation for poor build quality. On the other hand some of the Razer hate is just because they sell a lot of mice; a lot of people use Deathadders and you can definitely do worse. But you should at least look at some similar, more reputable mice like Logitech G502, Roccat Kone Pure Military (my personal preference), Mionix Castor, or Zowie EC-A. Those should all be solid mice as far as the technical stuff goes and you can shop on features, shape, size, weight, etc.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey yall I've done a bit of a search in this thread but I'm wondering what the Razer Deathadder is like. Someone mentioned bad drivers or something?

Last death adder I got died in a month of use at work.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I used to have a Deathadder that lasted for a few years, replaced it with a Naga that lasted a few months before it broke, tried another Naga that lasted only a few months, got a new Deathadder and the scroll wheel broke on that within 2 months. Further there have been at least two major fight game tournaments where Razer fight sticks have failed mid match. I had a great first impression with Razer mice but then they all turned to dust in my hands.
That's my consumer electronics story thanks for reading. :tipshat:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I have a razer boomslang that is still working, but I can't really hang with the shape of it anymore. That thing is a tank. Had a copperhead from a few years ago (I think that was the name) that stopped working after a few months.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Hollenhammer posted:

It's a razer product and will therefore fall apart in a breathtakingly short amount of time. IF you want something with a similar shape take a look at the zowie mice; they've got better (no) drivers, best-in-class sensors and no loving leds.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

taqueso posted:

So I have the 7000. The shape is great, but I'm not sure about the switches. M2 feels nice and crisp but M1 sounds hollow and feels muddy. The sound of M1 is CHaaa-chuuunk and M2 is cli-ICK!.

Is this typical? Will clicking it a bunch maybe smooth things out? I feel like it should be better than it is for the money, so I think I will exchange it, but I need to decide if I'm going to get another naos or not.

e: Minor, but I wouldn't mind if this mouse weighed another 50g.

e2: The pinky shelf could stand to be a touch longer

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 11, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No, switches are generally the best they'll ever be when brand new. Click distance, travel time and register latency are big concern for bigtime carers, but they're not wrong.

Zowie just announced via Benq who I guess has acquired them now that they're releasing a refresh of some of their top models with Omrons instead of Huanos, which is getting a positive response because if there's one thing that isn't great about Zowie generally (besides questionable durability) it's that their click distance is pretty high as their shells all have fused M1/M2 buttons.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

What should I be looking at for alternatives to the Naos 7000? Palm-grip all the way. Something just a bit larger than the naos would be nice.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Get a G502 if you haven't already, especially since you prefer a heavy-rear end mouse (for some crazy reason)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I decided to exchange the Mionix for another of the same. If the buttons on the replacement don't feel right, I'll try a G502. I wish the 502 didn't look so much like a spaceship or I would just order one now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Get a G502 if you haven't already, especially since you prefer a heavy-rear end mouse (for some crazy reason)

502 is terrible for Palm ever since they shaved the back off the 500.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Zowie just announced via Benq who I guess has acquired them now that they're releasing a refresh of some of their top models with Omrons instead of Huanos, which is getting a positive response because if there's one thing that isn't great about Zowie generally (besides questionable durability) it's that their click distance is pretty high as their shells all have fused M1/M2 buttons.

apparently they're going to flood the market with a load of other peripherals as well according to this article.

it's hard to imagine this doing anything except devaluing the zowie brand - i've never wanted a benq... anything except maybe the odd monitor

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

What a coincidence, odd monitors were all they made!

ColHannibal posted:

502 is terrible for Palm ever since they shaved the back off the 500.
It was fine for my palm hybrid grip when I had one, I liked it more than the G500(s) I had for a very long time. It was just too drat heavy.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

this is like mid-2000s when i was still impressed with any old poo poo as longer as it was higher res than like 1024x768. i don't imagine i'll be buying a benq set of headphones any time soon

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

It was fine for my palm hybrid grip when I had one, I liked it more than the G500(s) I had for a very long time. It was just too drat heavy.

"Hello, Logitech? Send me the heaviest mouse you have!

"... No, that's too heavy."

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
So what kind of mouse does everyone prefer for fps games? I'm using some cheap 6 year old Kensington mouse, and I think its time for an upgrade.. I would prefer corded, but wireless is fine too.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

JohnnyCanuck posted:

"Hello, Logitech? Send me the heaviest mouse you have!

"... No, that's too heavy."

Ahahaha

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Constipated posted:

So what kind of mouse does everyone prefer for fps games? I'm using some cheap 6 year old Kensington mouse, and I think its time for an upgrade.. I would prefer corded, but wireless is fine too.

The biggest thing is how much you like the shape of the mouse. How do you (want to) grip the mouse?

This chart show grip types, but the mouse options are a bit out of date:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Constipated posted:

Grip style, size of your hands, if you are L/R handed, all important factors for deciding what to get. Also if you're playing twitch or competitive FPS in general, weight is a key factor.

For a weight example, G502 is great as a general purpose mouse and especially for MMOs or other games that need a bunch of extra buttons. However it's pretty heavy and when I play FPSs I absolutely feel that weight and want to use something else. Overwatch and Doom 4 both were killing me trying to use it. Keeping in mind though I run at 400DPI and generally default (medium) sensitivity in games. So for that kind of stuff I really prefer my Naos 7000 which is lighter.

If you have no real specific needs I'd say the Mionix Castor is a pretty solid bet overall. It's not ultra-light but it's down there in the medium-light range (93g) and it's a very solid mouse overall.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's time for me to retire my Logitech G5, but I really love the fit of it and don't want a mouse that's too high and bulky. The current crop of Logitech mice looks really unappealing, so I'm looking at a DeathAdder Chrome (which is better than DeathAdder standard, from what I gather).

Would it fit my right-hand palm grip well and be a good mouse overall? I haven't found any other compelling mice, especially with the dumb sensitivity scroll and weights and crap.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

It's time for me to retire my Logitech G5, but I really love the fit of it and don't want a mouse that's too high and bulky. The current crop of Logitech mice looks really unappealing, so I'm looking at a DeathAdder Chrome (which is better than DeathAdder standard, from what I gather).

Would it fit my right-hand palm grip well and be a good mouse overall? I haven't found any other compelling mice, especially with the dumb sensitivity scroll and weights and crap.

look at the zowie mice. do not buy razer products or anything with LEDs

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

look at the zowie mice. do not buy razer products or anything with LEDs
Interesting. Looks like EC1-A is the one to get for me with right-hand ergonomic palm grip and a big-ish hand.

Do I need to buy foot pads for it, or whatever you call it? I use an old SteelSeries felt pad, but I should probably get myself a new one.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 13, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

Interesting. Looks like EC1-A is the one to get for me with right-hand ergonomic palm grip and a big-ish hand.

Do I need to buy foot pads for it, or whatever you call it? I use an old SteelSeries felt pad, but I should probably get myself a new one.

if you mean the teflon feet on the mouse it comes with a replacement set in the box, and if you're using a fabric mousepad you shouldn't have to replace them for years. if you mean the mousemat; as long as it's flat, matte and dark you shouldn't have any problems

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Cool, I might go with that instead. Is it the build quality that's crap on the neon mice or what?

I assume the DPI and stuff is fine for 1337 gaming on the Zowie.

breaks
May 12, 2001

A literal "no LEDs" rule is dumb, the Logitechs have LEDs and if you don't mind the shape/size/appearance they are some of the best mice out there for example. But I think his point is that there are very few bad gaming mice with a more conservative look, because if it doesn't look appealing to children then it's only selling on performance, whereas there are a lot of bad Pro Gamer XXXtreme christmas tree mice.

As mentioned the Logitechs are a good choice. Zowies are good just stick to a relatively recent one, some of the oldest ones have lovely firmware and it can't be upgraded. Mionix is good though it's probably best to stick to the optical models (7000s, Castor). Some of the recent Roccat stuff is good, like the Kone Pure Military and the new Kova.

I'm sure there are some other good ones too, but that is a decent list of mice with good technical performance and fairly few problems with build quality, support, software, etc.

breaks fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 13, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Looks are obviously subjective, but anyone who likes the G5 really should give the G502 at least a shot. Functionally it's similar but an upgrade in almost every way - it replaced the G5 SE (version with 2 thumb buttons) as my favorite mouse.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ufarn posted:

If you palm, the 502 will feel small, Look into the Naos 7000.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

breaks posted:

A literal "no LEDs" rule is dumb, the Logitechs have LEDs and if you don't mind the shape/size/appearance they are some of the best mice out there for example. But I think his point is that there are very few bad gaming mice with a more conservative look, because if it doesn't look appealing to children then it's only selling on performance, whereas there are a lot of bad Pro Gamer XXXtreme christmas tree mice.

yeah the odd led is fine, particularly if it can be turned off like on the g502. i guess what i mean is don't buy anything just because it has flashy LEDs, e.g. the fairy light deathadder.

ngl i quite like the design of the deathadder; it's reserved but has some nice accents that make it unique, and i like the shape. even the lighting isn't too awful, though i'd prefer none (presumably you can turn it off). it's just a shame razer products are all so badly made

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 13, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I like my G5 for general use, but the grip on it is sorta weird for twitchy shooters, and I generally hold it in three different ways throughout the day. If I took up playing Overwatch on PC, I think I'd struggle a little.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

If you palm, the 502 will feel small, Look into the Naos 7000.

Naos is smaller than a G502

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Naos is smaller than a G502

You are thinking the castor, I can go get both and take a side by side if you don't believe me.

Also my favorite thing about the Naos is it does not have any slimy feeling soft touch plastic everybody keeps putting on the side of mice.