Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boon posted:

A Benjamin to ban someone.

There's a forum called "Genmay" that operates like this. They're not very popular these days.

When looking at these prices, keep in mind that 100 points = $1, and you can't buy less than 500 points at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Robot wars kicked loving rear end.

That was probably your first correct opinion. The only real one.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

These are still apparently going on. Which kind of illustrates my point about running out of ideas.

Modern Marvels: "Wood" :psyduck:

Is this the real reason behind term limits in politics, so we don't get this in our political structure?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KirbyKhan posted:

Guh, that involves going out to a movie theaters... and $12. Why can't my blog posts be just as good as currency?

That's what bitcoin is bro

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Modern Marvels is amazing and I will fight whomever says otherwise. :argh:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fishmech posted:

There's a forum called "Genmay" that operates like this. They're not very popular these days.

When looking at these prices, keep in mind that 100 points = $1, and you can't buy less than 500 points at once
Huh, that explains why those guys from Cybernations were like that.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

Also, the reason why the History Channel turned out the way it did is that you can only do stories about WW2 so many times and no one gives a poo poo about Random 1500s Central Asian Country so pretty quick you run out of content.

But that's okay, because all it says is that 24 hour cable channels are a terrible idea.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's just that ice road truckers and alien pawnshop hitler draw more viewers than just regular hitler rather than fresh content concerns.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's just that ice road truckers and alien pawnshop hitler draw more viewers than just regular hitler. Between ww2/vietnam in HD, modern marvels, leftovers from the hitler channel days and R Lee Ermy yelling, you've got enough material to run 24/7.

Vietnam was in HD? Where can I watch this?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Vietnam was in HD? Where can I watch this?

http://www.history.com/shows/vietnam-in-hd

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Interesting POLITICO article documenting the behind-the-scenes politicking in Paris. The US and the EU were essentially able to create a massive global alliance of hardball players that also tore Brazil away from the other developing nations so they could all gang press India+China+South Africa into not doing the usual "but now it's our turn to burn all the carbon" song and dance.

Also a minor wording error by the French almost accidentally made the agreement legally binding, causing a last-minute American freakout.

Moral of the story: Model UN is actually exactly like the real thing. :haw:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Interesting POLITICO article documenting the behind-the-scenes politicking in Paris. The US and the EU were essentially able to create a massive global alliance of hardball players that also tore Brazil away from the other developing nations so they could all gang press India+China+South Africa into not doing the usual "but now it's our turn to burn all the carbon" song and dance.

Also a minor wording error by the French almost accidentally made the agreement legally binding, causing a last-minute American freakout.

Moral of the story: Model UN is actually exactly like the real thing. :haw:

Right, "French almost accidentally"

I call bullshit. Those drat Frenchies knew what they were doing and were trying to undermine the Senate of the United States.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

computer parts posted:

Also, the reason why the History Channel turned out the way it did is that you can only do stories about WW2 so many times and no one gives a poo poo about Random 1500s Central Asian Country so pretty quick you run out of content.

But that's okay, because all it says is that 24 hour cable channels are a terrible idea.

There are about a billion PhDs each year willing to give their efforts to generating valuable, interesting content if the History Channel actually gave a poo poo. There are infinite awesome historical stories out there to be told.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

berzerker posted:

There are about a billion PhDs each year willing to give their efforts to generating valuable, interesting content if the History Channel actually gave a poo poo. There are infinite awesome historical stories out there to be told.

Isn't that what Drunk History is? All those phd candidates getting drunk because they're getting a phd in history?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

My Imaginary GF posted:

Right, "French almost accidentally"

I call bullshit. Those drat Frenchies knew what they were doing and were trying to undermine the Senate of the United States.

More power to 'em

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

duz posted:

Isn't that what Drunk History is? All those phd candidates getting drunk because they're getting a phd in history?

I've only seen a few episodes but I thought they recruited minor celebrities to retell sort of history.

Either way, better than the history channel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

berzerker posted:

My point is that audiences don't care about that. And they don't. Audiences care about : 1) Major things about their home country 2) things about other countries that tie into their home country 3) Jesus.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

#4 on that list is seeing a pawn broker with a Rolodex of every person ever

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

computer parts posted:

My point is that audiences don't care about that. And they don't. Audiences care about : 1) Major things about their home country 2) things about other countries that tie into their home country 3) Jesus.

They could though. There's no less drama or fewer interesting characters in the Civil Rights Movement, the Cuban Revolution, the Cultural Revolution, apartheid, early 20th century middle eastern imperial espionage, etc. Look at the hay various better channels have made from Rome, Spartacus, Deadwood, Manhattan, The Tudors, John Adams, Boardwalk Empire, etc. Go back a generation our two of TV and you have Roots. All those could be on a better version of the history channel if the station runners weren't idiots. It's not like what they're showing isn't fictionalized, at least they could do it well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berzerker posted:

I've only seen a few episodes but I thought they recruited minor celebrities to retell sort of history.

There's something magical about the quality of the reenactment being so fine as to include the drunken slurring (and in some cases vomiting) of the storytellers. I lost it in the first episode I watched where Woodward or Bernstein loving barfed on Deep Throat's shoes.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/1vcded/drunk-history-woodward---felt

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 13, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

computer parts posted:

You forgot aliens.

Noob.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Edit: Nevermind, it's not the day I thought it was.

Harik fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 13, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The Des Moines Register/Bloomberg shows that Iowa's now on Cruz control.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Walker, Bush, Fiorina, and Carson have all gone through the discovery>scrutiny>decline phases in their own ways with varying peaks. Above 30 points is quite good while to field is still so crowded, better than any of those four. It will be interesting to see if he will climb much higher before the deluge of "this guy is crazy, no, really" thinkpieces and investigations finally catch something he doesn't have a good answer to. Dude can handle reporters are least moderately well, and the best angle of attack would probably be to attack from the right, which will be... difficult. Although there was that attack ad earlier that linked him to ~*~Obama politics~*~ so maybe I'm again falling into the trap of thinking reality matters.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

A Bag of Milk posted:

Walker, Bush, Fiorina, and Carson have all gone through the discovery>scrutiny>decline phases in their own ways with varying peaks. Above 30 points is quite good while to field is still so crowded, better than any of those four. It will be interesting to see if he will climb much higher before the deluge of "this guy is crazy, no, really" thinkpieces and investigations finally catch something he doesn't have a good answer to. Dude can handle reporters are least moderately well, and the best angle of attack would probably be to attack from the right, which will be... difficult. Although there was that attack ad earlier that linked him to ~*~Obama politics~*~ so maybe I'm again falling into the trap of thinking reality matters.

You are correct that reality doesn't matter and there is plenty of time left for the next idiot in line, but they are almost out of remotely interesting idiots. Huckabee and Santorum are retreads and Iowans are not voting for a non-idiot candidate so Jeb/Christie/probably Rubio are also out. It's possible Rand catches on, I guess.

I'm seriously really bullish on Cruz right now. There is no scenario where Trump is taking 20% while Cruz is leading in which the party tries to knock him off the pedestal fast enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Adar posted:

You are correct that reality doesn't matter and there is plenty of time left for the next idiot in line, but they are almost out of remotely interesting idiots. Huckabee and Santorum are retreads and Iowans are not voting for a non-idiot candidate so Jeb/Christie/probably Rubio are also out. It's possible Rand catches on, I guess.

I'm seriously really bullish on Cruz right now. There is no scenario where Trump is taking 20% while Cruz is leading in which the party tries to knock him off the pedestal fast enough.

Yeah, the narrative I've seen thrown around a lot is that if Trump weren't grabbing all the attention and whipping the base into a frenzy, Jeb! would be doing far better. The thing is though, if Trump weren't doing it, Cruz would be, and we'd be in more or less the same position just with Cruz riding high instead. The most vocal segment of the Republican base wants crazy, and Jeb! isn't going to give it to them because he realizes that it'd be tantamount to forfeiting the general. Cruz has no such scruples, though.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

FourLeaf posted:

It's "A Birthday" by Esther Friesner.

Thanks, that's the one. It's basically exactly how sci-fi can be perfect for exploring social issues - take a "what if" question, add just a bit of plausible technology, and paint out the conclusion. If I remember right she doesn't rush straight to the point, either, but pulls you in bit by bit and then runs you over with an emotional freight train towards the end. Really powerful story.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Sydin posted:

Yeah, the narrative I've seen thrown around a lot is that if Trump weren't grabbing all the attention and whipping the base into a frenzy, Jeb! would be doing far better. The thing is though, if Trump weren't doing it, Cruz would be, and we'd be in more or less the same position just with Cruz riding high instead. The most vocal segment of the Republican base wants crazy, and Jeb! isn't going to give it to them because he realizes that it'd be tantamount to forfeiting the general. Cruz has no such scruples, though.

My excitement for Jeb! is getting stronger every day!

Jeb! is the Romney of this election and the Donald is just a hopeful monster, an extremely hardy non-Jeb. Someday you may briefly look back on the Donald's run as a unique moment in electoral history. You don't get a loose cannon like him very often, a candidate that just shoots off his mouth any which way.

ED: And there have been a lot of folks talking about what Cruz's perpetual expression on his face looks like. It looks to me like he is changing a diaper. Like he's somewhat revolted at what he himself is doing in order to reach for the attention he craves so badly.

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 13, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Cruz's strategy of becoming one of those fish that latch onto the underside of a shark has been pretty effective; Trump has demolished most of the other candidates who have rose up against him while Cruz quietly takes the scraps for himself. But now Trump is onto his game and he too plainly spelled out the bear hug strategy, so we'll probably see him be more aggressive next debate, especially with the media narrative so quickly solidifying around Cruz vs Trump; no doubt the moderators are going to set up openings for that.

Next debate has fewer people on the main stage this time, right? Rand might not even get on?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

berzerker posted:

They could though. There's no less drama or fewer interesting characters in the Civil Rights Movement, the Cuban Revolution, the Cultural Revolution, apartheid, early 20th century middle eastern imperial espionage, etc. Look at the hay various better channels have made from Rome, Spartacus, Deadwood, Manhattan, The Tudors, John Adams, Boardwalk Empire, etc. Go back a generation our two of TV and you have Roots. All those could be on a better version of the history channel if the station runners weren't idiots. It's not like what they're showing isn't fictionalized, at least they could do it well.
HBO figured out that beyond the basics of caring about just things from their own country or things related to their own country or Jesus, people are also interested in stories about sex, death, and betrayal.

It's something we seemingly forgot for a while in the TV industry, because Shakespeare had that figured out a long time ago

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

berzerker posted:

No, you are correct. I was making a joke that even a show called Drunk History doesn't offer jobs to history students.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

berzerker posted:

All of your examples are fictionalized dramas. The funny part is that you left out the actual History Channel series in that same vein, which is Vikings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)

And sure, that is a way to present a historical setting to the masses. But don't pretend it's actually a documentary, because it's not.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

computer parts posted:

A $35 expansion pack in 1995 would cost about $54 now, and I doubt many people would pay that much for something like Brood War (or maybe people would, going by the Starcraft 2 release plan).

People seem to forget just how expansive those expansion packs were back in the day. You were essentially getting a new full game that was using the art assets and engine of the previous game. For example the original Starcraft had 30 misssions and Brood War had 28.

With modern sales strategy you instead add a few more bells and whistles then you would have on expansion pack and release your product as an individual full priced title. So now you have things like Fallout 3 -> Fallout: New Vegas, or Call of Duty X -> Call of Duty X+1.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Alzion posted:

People seem to forget just how expansive those expansion packs were back in the day. You were essentially getting a new full game that was using the art assets and engine of the previous game. For example the original Starcraft had 30 misssions and Brood War had 28.

With modern sales strategy you instead add a few more bells and whistles then you would have on expansion pack and release your product as an individual full priced title. So now you have things like Fallout 3 -> Fallout: New Vegas

New Vegas is exactly what you're describing above though. It's probably longer than Fallout 3 is in terms of hours of content.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

On Terra Firma posted:

New Vegas is exactly what you're describing above though. It's probably longer than Fallout 3 is in terms of hours of content.

If anything, New Vegas could be considered an expand-alone (ie like an expansion pack but doesn't need the base game to run).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So a "privacy" group is trying to get a ballot measure on the California ballot in 2016 that would let you sue both businesses and people for "violating your privacy" by making you afraid to use the bathroom because there's a transgender person in there. Effectively a $4,000 bounty on reporting people using the "wrong" bathroom.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
New national poll out just now:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/263068-poll-trump-5-points-ahead-of-cruz-nationally

Trump 27
Cruz 22
Rubio 15
Jeb! 7
Fiorina 5

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Luigi Thirty posted:

So a "privacy" group is trying to get a ballot measure on the California ballot in 2016 that would let you sue both businesses and people for "violating your privacy" by making you afraid to use the bathroom because there's a transgender person in there. Effectively a $4,000 bounty on reporting people using the "wrong" bathroom.
This is the same garbage they tried to pass down here in FL. Exact same thing.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

If Jeb!'s dumbass would drop out Rubio would be at 22%

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh! They also caught the guy who threw the Molotov cocktail at the mosque in California. His parents said that he was a "antisocial loner" who was "caught up in social media" and also probably mentally ill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh! They also caught the guy who threw the Molotov cocktail at the mosque in California. His parents said that he was a "antisocial loner" who was "caught up in social media" and also probably mentally ill.

Do ya'll if this was a bunch of black people attacking mosques we wouldn't be talking about how black culture hates Muslims?

• Locked thread