Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Dave Brookshaw posted:

You don't needit, but it's awfully spiffy. You don't have things like the explosion rules, chases, investigations, monster building...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEizJ-TWua0

You do know the way to a funhaver's heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
If anyone asks, it's "Sea of Dirac."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I have to admit that the monster building rules sound pretty awesome.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I love the new crafting/equipment stuff just for the whole abstracted planning stuff, where you build "a plan" as a piece of equipment that gives bonuses for making rolls relevant to what you planned to do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

How do you pronounce "CofD"? Is it "cee-oh-eff-dee"? Or is it "sof-da"? Or "cof-dee"?

Considering I used to say "En-Wad", I'm going with "Cough-Dee"

Rand Brittain posted:

If anyone asks, it's "Sea of Dirac."

So that's what ended the old world, the third impact!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kurieg posted:

It's also not a very unique abbreviation. Can't call it CoD because of Call of Duty. Can't call it 'Cee Oh Dee" because that's "Cash On Delivery". So the easiest way to refer to it and know what you're talking about is still going to be nWoD.

It looks like they are using "CofD" internally, according to one of the comments here: http://theonyxpath.com/announcing-chronicles-of-darkness/

e: whoops, I was beaten hours ago. I did provide a link, at least!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
This is terrible news because it makes it clear that any upcoming Paradox video games are going to be set in the bad one.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

This is terrible news because it makes it clear that any upcoming Paradox video games are going to be set in the bad one.

Or they're going to develop a new IP, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Ferrinus posted:

Sorry Ferrinus, the world we live in is too fallen for Magicka: the Awakening

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines was good, so I believe the new one can be good too.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Yes, but it would be better if it had the Ordo Dracul, Seers of the Throne, etc. Unfortunately, since Mage: the Awakening is an accurate description of the world we live in IRL and the Exarchs work ceaselessly to rain misery upon me, this will be forever denied us.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, but it would be better if it had the Ordo Dracul, Seers of the Throne, etc. Unfortunately, since Mage: the Awakening is an accurate description of the world we live in IRL and the Exarchs work ceaselessly to rain misery upon me, this will be forever denied us.

We have a wall to work upon!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ferrinus posted:

This is what you get for not joining the Seers, so you really have only yourself to blame.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I know I've pushed hard for the OWoD in this thread but really I love both. I was worried the NWoD was going away. CofD is fantastic news. Everyone wins!

Ferrinus posted:

Make mods.

Also this may not be true... there's nothing stopping anyone from licensing the NWoD. In fact it's possible it's more likely to happen now since there won't be any brand confusion.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

We have a wall to work upon!

The exarch known as "The Trump" Will use the sleepers to build a wall to keep the sleepers out of the supernal.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

While I would prefer a CofD videogame because I like the setting, i'm not shocked the plans are for an oWoD game. It's got a bigger fanbase and bloodlines has name recognition with gamers who don't know about tabletop stuff. Plus, bloodlines was super cool.

Maybe once they've made their money back on buying the IP, they'll make a CofD game. I still want vampire politics simulator in the style of CK2.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Clearly that should be their first one. An addon for CK2 that lets you play a vampiric lord of the night. Wanna keep your favourite Court Chaplain around? Time to Embrace.

Just hope he doesn't discover the Cainite Heresy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wait, oWoD still has the bigger fanbase? After all these years? How is that possible?

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Masquerade was massive, much more frequent publishing schedule, most larps are oWoD and see; D&D 3.5 vs 4e for grognard comparison.
I'm supremely glad the chronicles books are now standalone, as the corebook+splatbook approach put me off nwod when it was coming out, especially since it didn't have the online databases/resources that made book-bouncing less painful, see again 3.5.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I can only speak to the LARP side of things but the heyday of WoD LARP was during the Masquerade days and many, many more people have played Masquerade than Requiem.

Vampire's still the big thing, too- in the MES, at least, pretty much every city with a domain has Requiem and/or Masquerade, with some cities only having that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, oWoD still has the bigger fanbase? After all these years? How is that possible?

Role playing games are very small, and only one out of the two lines made the crossover to other kinds of media.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

More people know Masquerade exists for sure.

How many of them gave any interest in ttrpgs is anybody's guess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, it's easy to forget at one point White Wolf was about 30% of the gaming market during the '90s, especially during the gap that TSR was becoming absent and d20 hadn't landed yet. They've never had that level of success with the new World of Darkness Chronidark - not to say it wasn't successful, but it was nothing compared to the Vampire: the Masquerade CCG, LARPs, videogames, chess set...

... chess set? Chess set.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, during the 90's if you had a pie chart of gaming companies' share of the market, White Wolf would've been the only one other than WotC with a big enough slice to print the name on it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

WoD had three CCGs, a television series, two videogame franchises, and a pro-wrestler. It was pretty big.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, during the 90's if you had a pie chart of gaming companies' share of the market, White Wolf would've been the only one other than WotC with a big enough slice to print the name on it.

What happened to them then? Did the bubble burst or something?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They got dragged down with everyone else when the market fell apart. (which was mostly d20 license systems that caused it I believe)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Twibbit posted:

They got dragged down with everyone else when the market fell apart. (which was mostly d20 license systems that caused it I believe)

That, and they completely surrendered their position as second place in the market when they switched over from traditional publishing to PDF/POD-only. For all the arguments that traditional publishing is dead or dying or otherwise no longer viable, the fact remains that White Wolf's market share was second only to Wizards of the Coast's right up until WW/CCP dropped out of the market entirely.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The switch to nWoD also cost them a bunch of fans- there were a bunch of people who didn't want to buy Requiem and would've kept buying Masquerade but suddenly had nothing new to buy. And for all that RPG proponents like to go on about "all you need is the corebook for infinite adventures!" and so on, a game which isn't getting new books is going to bleed players. And of course when the corebook's no longer in print and prospective players have to hunt down used copies, your acquisition of new players is also headed down the shitter.

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it's easy to forget at one point White Wolf was about 30% of the gaming market during the '90s, especially during the gap that TSR was becoming absent and d20 hadn't landed yet. They've never had that level of success with the new World of Darkness Chronidark - not to say it wasn't successful, but it was nothing compared to the Vampire: the Masquerade CCG, LARPs, videogames, chess set...

... chess set? Chess set.

Am I crazy or was there not also a set of barware?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Depending on exactly which part of the 90's you're talking about, this speaks magnitudes about White Wolf's brand strength. WotC first acquired the D&D brand in 1997; prior to that White Wolf would have been competing with WotC's Magic: the Gathering entirely on the strength of their ability to mass-market RPGs to dissatisfied, pseudo-counter-culture teens and young adults.

gtrmp posted:

That, and they completely surrendered their position as second place in the market when they switched over from traditional publishing to PDF/POD-only. For all the arguments that traditional publishing is dead or dying or otherwise no longer viable, the fact remains that White Wolf's market share was second only to Wizards of the Coast's right up until WW/CCP dropped out of the market entirely.

Traditional publishing being dead is a truism that I suspect has a lot to do with who's saying it. If you're an Internet-savvy person, you can easily go on forums and discussion groups to proclaim how much easier it is for you to buy all the games that you're actively seeking out. Maybe you even have a fancy, expensive tablet so you can read PDFs as if they were a book, instead of having to lug your laptop (which is so old it lags when browsing game books on PDF) to the table. Or maybe you like paper books, and can afford to have them printed on demand and to pay for the exorbitant shipping costs.

It's probably not hugely a money thing, but all these claims about paper media being a dying medium because computers does it so much better ignores a lot about costs and opportunity costs. I can walk into a brick-and-mortar store, pick up a book that looks interesting, leaf through the entire thing to get an idea of the production values, and buy it because I kinda wanted to spend some money and I feel bad about going to hobby stores and not buying anything. A visited an RPG store and walked out with a copy of The Masks of Nyarlathothep that I wasn't even planning to buy because they had it in stock, I could get it right then and there, and if I didn't I'd have to wait weeks to get it. And, hey, I needed something to read on the 2-hour bus trip home.

moths posted:

WoD had three CCGs, a television series, two videogame franchises, and a pro-wrestler. It was pretty big.

Jyhad was actually a WotC project running on some sort of license scheme. In a bit of genius from WotC, making a CCG for Vampire for White Wolf meant that White Wolf was locked out from capitalizing on the popularity of their Vampire brand and CCGs.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

LatwPIAT posted:

Jyhad was actually a WotC project running on some sort of license scheme. In a bit of genius from WotC, making a CCG for Vampire for White Wolf meant that White Wolf was locked out from capitalizing on the popularity of their Vampire brand and CCGs.
And then White Wolf made Rage to try to capitalize on the Werewolf brand, where to this day I couldn't tell you how to actually play it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

LatwPIAT posted:

I can walk into a brick-and-mortar store, pick up a book that looks interesting, leaf through the entire thing to get an idea of the production values, and buy it because I kinda wanted to spend some money and I feel bad about going to hobby stores and not buying anything. A visited an RPG store and walked out with a copy of The Masks of Nyarlathothep that I wasn't even planning to buy because they had it in stock, I could get it right then and there, and if I didn't I'd have to wait weeks to get it. And, hey, I needed something to read on the 2-hour bus trip home.

I, on the other hand, can't, because there's no such store without making a two-and-a-half-hour drive. I feel like the shift to PoD has much less to do with the convenience of digital storefronts and a lot more to do with the fact that the non-digital storefronts are sinking.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

And then White Wolf made Rage to try to capitalize on the Werewolf brand, where to this day I couldn't tell you how to actually play it.

I thought I read somewhere that the rules weren't complete and it wasn't actually playable.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the rules weren't complete and it wasn't actually playable.
I distinctly remember that the instruction manual included with starter decks had a recursive loop in the index (term A says See Term B, B says see C, C says see A), and nowhere does it say whether you can play A combat card with a rage coster lower than or equal to your character's rage, you can play All the cards, some of the cards, how combos work (implicitly you're using multiple cards in a turn since they talk about what happens when using A after B, and you fill your hand for every combat), and so on and so on.

So you would be right to think that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This news has got me pretty excited!
Finally getting a GMC (Or CofD as it were) hardcover will be a day-one purchase for me.

For all OP employees reading this: Is there ANY chance there will be a printing option other than DriveThru? They are fine but since they are basically the only game in town, their quality doesn't have to be great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

The switch to nWoD also cost them a bunch of fans- there were a bunch of people who didn't want to buy Requiem and would've kept buying Masquerade but suddenly had nothing new to buy. And for all that RPG proponents like to go on about "all you need is the corebook for infinite adventures!" and so on, a game which isn't getting new books is going to bleed players. And of course when the corebook's no longer in print and prospective players have to hunt down used copies, your acquisition of new players is also headed down the shitter.

I remember the original nWoD lines selling pretty well, and a lot of enthusiasm in my local gaming community. It wasn't until the entire market collapse that everything fell apart a few years later (anecdocte and not data, but whatevs)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
When was this big collapse? Early 2000's?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Josef bugman posted:

When was this big collapse? Early 2000's?

My vague memories say around 2005/6, but who even knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I known people who feel pretty strongly about the opportunity cost of online-only shopping and I've talked to them at great length about it.

Buying a book on DRTRPG requires you to know what you want to buy. Impulse shopping is much harder. You don't know what the book looks likes in advance, returns have an extra effort involved, and if I'm not sure what I want I have to ask for advice.

By contrast walking into a store is easier. I'll make a purchase based on my confidence in the product and it's production levels. I don't need to seek advice - I can look at all the products and see what grabs me.

Remember we who debate 3 versions of Mage in the SA forums are a tiny minority. Most people don't have a support network to suggest what to buy and most support networks are poo poo anyway.

E: For many people a book that only exists online might as well not exist at all.