Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm moving house again and it's still my dream that I somehow find my copy of the US pilot so I can share it with the world. It's naturally on an unmarked disc and is the worst thing ever.

E: search called off! Someone has finally done the 'decent' thing and put it on YouTube as of a month ago (I periodically search for it but never found a copy other than the one I had). Don't think it's as good a copy as mine was, but given I couldn't even get through 5 minutes on both attempts that doesn't matter. Witness the horror of Big Bang Peep Show.

http://youtu.be/8Yredc3ayOE

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jesus.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, the whole point is both of them are just trapped in the status quo with one another.

If there was some big event in the finale that totally changed them, it'd be against the point.

Plenty of the other series end in a way that feels like a proper finale though. Especially the wedding! I think it's a shame if it doesn't end like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm moving house again and it's still my dream that I somehow find my copy of the US pilot so I can share it with the world. It's naturally on an unmarked disc and is the worst thing ever.

E: search called off! Someone has finally done the 'decent' thing and put it on YouTube as of a month ago (I periodically search for it but never found a copy other than the one I had). Don't think it's as good a copy as mine was, but given I couldn't even get through 5 minutes on both attempts that doesn't matter. Witness the horror of Big Bang Peep Show.

I love that it doesn't even attempt to use the central conceit that the show itself is named after.

Also how in the gently caress does something made post-2000 end up in that state? It looks like it was made in the early 90s and a VHS copy was filmed with a VHS camera.

wordbird
Jun 6, 2010
There's a joke in the episode with the bowling in series 1 which I never got where Mark meets Valerie (the teenage goth) at the party and he says something like "She's a teenage Mark, the menfolk will castrate you. Maybe shes's a.....oh god!"

What does Mark think Valerie is? I've starting rewatching the series and this is one thing that's always bothered me

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

He's worried she's underage.

"She's a teenager, Mark" not "She's a teenage Mark"

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

wordbird posted:

There's a joke in the episode with the bowling in series 1 which I never got where Mark meets Valerie (the teenage goth) at the party and he says something like "She's a teenage Mark, the menfolk will castrate you. Maybe shes's a.....oh god!"

What does Mark think Valerie is? I've starting rewatching the series and this is one thing that's always bothered me

I'm pretty sure he's about to say virgin. That's what I figured anyway.

Also that US pilot is so weird. It's like they didn't understand what made the show good at all and just crapped out a big pile of crap. The writers also did the US version of Men Behaving Badly with Rob loving Schneider. Amazing*.

*crap

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 12, 2015

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Is "That Mitchell and Webb Look" still on TV? Or will their TV careers end with Peep Show?
David Mitchell is set for life on panel shows. Would I lie to you, hignfy, qi. He's got his schtick down, it works well. Robert Webb doesn't do much, I haven't seen him in anything outside peep show in years. Though I did catch a really bizarre wedding movie called confetti which starred him and Olivia Coleman as a nudist couple. So if you've always wondered what jez's dong is like, wonder no more!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

EL BROMANCE posted:

Leonard is a terrible actor.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The joke that's dug itself deepest in for me is Super Hans' (new years?) party, where they meet out in the entrance and nobody wants to speak of the atrocities that are going on inside.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I loved it from the very first episode, and those horrible kids taunting Mark and his worry about being seen as a paedo. 'Oi Clean shirt, how d'you get your shirt so clean' is still an insult I use to this day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I remember watching the first episode as it aired, as we didn't have cable and C4 on a Friday night was usually reliable. Gonna text my old uni friends I used to enjoy it with to see if they still watch (probably not, but hey).

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I remember watching the first episode as it aired, as we didn't have cable and C4 on a Friday night was usually reliable. Gonna text my old uni friends I used to enjoy it with to see if they still watch (probably not, but hey).

Me too (watching it as it aired), there was loads of great comedy around that sort of time too, I think the Office, The Mighty Boosh and The League of Gentlemen were of a similar vintage also. There doesn't seem to be much around of that quality at the moment, unless I'm just out of touch a bit now. Catastrophe is pretty drat good, but humor atm seems to have gone back round to something a little more 'normal'

edit- Just remembered Toast too, that's quite special.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone edit together a gif of Jeremy's reaction to Mark calling Sophie's voicemail so I can post it as my reaction to that US pilot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the sheer output of watchable/decent/great US comedy really emphasises how British TV has just a handful of short episode series' and the rest are imports and panel shows. And it's been like that for years, which is why it's been good to see British names in US credits at least. Glad they're able to get the work.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is just painful. I've never understood the sort of adaptation that will even directly lift a joke but leave out the punchline -something this pilot does multiple times.
You could do peepshow without the first person perspective (but the name really would make no sense) although you'd lose a little bit of the cringe-y awkwardness.
That pilot just couldn't commit to anything, I almost wish it had gotten picked up just to see a season or so of the mediocre mess Peepshow would've been if it never went off the rails and stuck with the cliche setup it teases you with.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

At least it didn't get picked up; there's a US version of The inbetweeners that's a loving travesty and ran for a (12 part) season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked the US Inbetweeners, but I also thought the UK one was the most overrated thing on TV (not to say I didn't enjoy it, it was just proclaimed to be the greatest thing by so many people, when it wasn't. And the 2nd film was a loving travesty). They were smart in making the characters different enough to the UK original rather than forcing it. US Jay being so different to the UK one was a smart move, and the Will didn't drive me insane every time he opened his mouth.

I wonder if Peep Show USA would've been able to do have pulled off a The Office USA turnaround when it found it's feet. I'd say no, the production just looked cheap and amateur whereas at least The Office was just a bad script with good production. I haven't seen the early series' of Peep Show in so long that I can't remember what parts of the pilot were lifted and what was original, but I will admit that I chuckled a bit when he put the swastika post-it note down*, and one other bit I can't remember. The Axel-F bit would've been funny if they didn't treat the audience like an idiot and spelt the joke out for them.

* there's a US show called 'Kevin From Work' that has a similar post-it back and forth situation with the main character. I wonder if that idea was rescued from this.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I actually thought the second inbetweeners film was way better than the first, though still imperfect. The first film seemed to forget that what made the series good was its ruthless believability and lack of happy endings, but the second one reclaimed that.

I do think that to really get the inbetweeners in full you have to have the fairly specific experience of having been a British comprehensive schoolboy in the early to mid 2000s.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm pretty sure I saw Super Hans in my local Tesco today in the fresh meat aisle. I wasn't sure at the time but now I'm kicking myself for not asking him how the twins are.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear God, that's terrible. It's like a weird Langoliers universe where Peep Show isn't funny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ThomasPaine posted:

I actually thought the second inbetweeners film was way better than the first, though still imperfect. The first film seemed to forget that what made the series good was its ruthless believability and lack of happy endings, but the second one reclaimed that.

I do think that to really get the inbetweeners in full you have to have the fairly specific experience of having been a British comprehensive schoolboy in the early to mid 2000s.

From memory, the only part of the film that made me truly laugh was when Neil killed the dolphin (I think that's right? I've only got vague memories). The movie was killed for me by having the obvious dickhead you're supposed to dislike just be so goddamned obnoxious that it wasn't fun to watch. I enjoyed the first, because it followed the great tradition of British TV show goes on holiday for it's movie, and it felt like a spiritual successor to Kevin and Perry (which I loved when younger). The 2nd just felt like a cheap cash in and didn't have enough jokes that made me laugh, so I found it tiresome.

I agree that it mimics school life pretty well. Like a Grange Hill after the watershed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I was at school in the 90s and I thought it was pretty similar to my experience.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

From memory, the only part of the film that made me truly laugh was when Neil killed the dolphin

I didn't like that part because it was so...he killed a loving dolphin. There's no way Neil would Neil his way out of that one. Its not like he casually punched some jerk fish to death.

Conversely, I loved Will getting angry in that moron hippie song circle because it was a classic Will freak-out where he wasn't wrong at all.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

adamarama posted:

David Mitchell is set for life on panel shows. Would I lie to you, hignfy, qi. He's got his schtick down, it works well. Robert Webb doesn't do much, I haven't seen him in anything outside peep show in years. Though I did catch a really bizarre wedding movie called confetti which starred him and Olivia Coleman as a nudist couple. So if you've always wondered what jez's dong is like, wonder no more!

Webb really hates that film.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Webb is sometimes in Fresh Meat which is also by the Peep Show writers and is okay provided you don't find Jack Whitehall annoying.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cerv posted:

Webb really hates that film.

I think I remember coleman saying she hated it in an interview a while back. Something about the director reassuring them that the nude scenes would be filmed tastefully before releasing the thing with gratuitous full frontal nudity all over the place. I can see why they'd be annoyed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven't seen the early series' of Peep Show in so long that I can't remember what parts of the pilot were lifted and what was original, but I will admit that I chuckled a bit when he put the swastika post-it note down*

It's entirely lifted, with content from the first 2/3 UK episodes as source. It also bizarrely changed a few things that makes me think they might have changed direction slightly, or dragged the romance out longer.

Changing "something stupid like .... I like you" to just generic bad singing is a weird shift.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Khablam posted:

Changing "something stupid like .... I like you" to just generic bad singing is a weird shift.

The office politics stuff that turns Mark from a weirdo to an oppressed drone seems like a really stupid idea too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ras Het posted:

The office politics stuff that turns Mark from a weirdo to an oppressed drone seems like a really stupid idea too.

Yeah I think the only new jokes were the "Jez writes Axel-F" one, the TiVo thing, and a visual gag of "No place is hiring," said directly in front of a "now hiring sign" Everything else was just a tweaked punchline or way of making Mark seem more like a socially awkward normal guy, rather than a creeper.
The tone just falls flat and weird though, since some of the lifted jokes only work if you keep Mark and Jez broken. They even sorta acknowledged that and decided "Oh uh the swastika idea for the cartoon needs to come from the crazy roommate!"

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 14, 2015

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Well that didn't take long.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's equally a masterpiece written down.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Considering how abysmal other attempts at bringing British comedies across the pond have turned out, it's a miracle that the American version of The Office was as good as it was. I didn't even know there was an American Peep Show attempt, but I did know that there was one for The IT Crowd, and it was just as awful. That's in addition to the other shows people have posted here.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 14, 2015

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

American Office worked because it quickly realised it was getting nowhere trying to emulate the British one and went off waaaayyy in its own direction, turning into a comedic light soap.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I guess at least the American Office was set in an office whereas American Peep Show didn't even use first person. That said, I just couldn't get into American Office. Veep on the other hand... which itself is quite a feat since The Thick of It is pretty much my favourite thing ever (not just TV show, just, thing in general) so my expectations were astronomically high.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

thepokey posted:

I guess at least the American Office was set in an office whereas American Peep Show didn't even use first person. That said, I just couldn't get into American Office. Veep on the other hand... which itself is quite a feat since The Thick of It is pretty much my favourite thing ever (not just TV show, just, thing in general) so my expectations were astronomically high.

It's not really difficult to have a successful sitcom if you're just copying the setting and nothing else.

VEEP is at least written by Armando so it is quite easy to carry on the humour. That said it didn't really grab me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

It's entirely lifted, with content from the first 2/3 UK episodes as source. It also bizarrely changed a few things that makes me think they might have changed direction slightly, or dragged the romance out longer.

I thought it felt familiar. If I have time I might do an early series re-watch soon, it'll feel pretty fresh after not having seen them in so long.

Y-Hat posted:

I didn't even know there was an American Peep Show attempt, but I did know that there was one for The IT Crowd, and it was just as awful.

Yeah, I don't know anyone else who'd seen the the Peep Show pilot and it's why it bugged me that I lost my disc so long ago. It was bittersweet when my search the other day brought it up on YT. I've seen the Red Dwarf and IT Crowd ones too, but they've been floating around the web for ages, where Peep Show hadn't. I have no idea where my friend sourced my copy from. I'd love to see more pilots that crashed (in the words of Victor Lewis Smith).

Taear posted:

VEEP is at least written by Armando so it is quite easy to carry on the humour. That said it didn't really grab me.

How far through did you get? I really liked it from word go, but it really does get better as it goes on. I can't remember my exact season preference, but 2 is definitely better than 1 and 3 / 4 were both superb too. It's a pretty different show to TTOI, has a different flow to it. Which is why it works I think.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The latest two series of Veep are easily better than the half-arsed last The Thick of It series. Stronger characters, better writing, more laughs.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'd love to see more pilots that crashed (in the words of Victor Lewis Smith).

Quoting only to acknowledge the TV Offal love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Khablam posted:

If I could watch it in a quality that didn't look like 1980s bootleg VHS it might not be as bad, that being said literally everything about it was terrible. I think I laughed once and the rest of the time I was floored that someone was paid to write that.

• Locked thread