Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Really? I'd thought you might be able to bring her down with sufficient speed/power on your casts.

Edit: Oh, you've not gotten some of the endgame stuff yet (nor likely tampered with Bonfire Ascetics for the Bluestone +2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Going back to Dark Souls II after doing Bloodborne is sort of like driving an old civic after just trading in a camaro. They both work, but one is clearly faster than the other. I found myself making mistakes I shouldn't have made, that I wouldn't have made before Bloodborne.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah well I go from being pretty close to being able to no-death DS2 to getting dunked by the first boss of Bloodborne over and over again so a replay of Bloodborne isn't holding my interest. Death in DS2 is caused by getting too cocky or by mistiming an Estus sip (Or gravity. Don't forget gravity). Death in Bloodborne is caused by not twitching fast and precisely enough.

It's too much of a twitchfest where you have to develop muscle memory for every boss' attack patterns and I don't feel like playing a game that feels like it's doing everything in its power to aggravate the gently caress out of me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bloodborne is not a twitchfest

dark souls 2 is definitely easier tho. there's nothing like the dragonrider in bloodborne, that's for sure

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Faster doesn't mean better. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I'm saying they feel more different than I initially thought. Making the transition to Bloodborne from DS2 was actually easier than making the regression back.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

some of the mechanical changes can be hard to adjust to swapping back and forth between those two games

the heal button is different, l1 is used differently, the dodge step can be weird to gain/lose, you take way more damage in bloodborne than dks2 so you might get cocky and die, etc

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Mr Dog posted:

I don't feel like playing a game that feels like it's doing everything in its power to aggravate the gently caress out of me.

you know that part in particular is how i feel about dark souls 2. death is usually caused by it throwing tons of enemies at you at once, falling off bullshit ledges that lead to either instant death or incredibly unforgiving fall damage, enemies having ridiculous tracking, or unclear hitboxes/dodge frames. maybe i'm just more suited to the combat in bloodborne, but only 2 or 3 bosses took me more than a couple tries to beat and at least half i got on my first attempt. whereas in dark souls 2, i feel like i need summons to even have a chance with half the bosses, especially since half the bosses doubleteam you.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm fast losing patience with a NG+ run as STR/FTH wielding either craftsmans hammer and shield or red iron winblade - in FoTFG there are just SO MANY mobs which do SO MUCH damage I am being really turned off of it. Is there anything beyond red phantoms and better boss souls that I can expect from this play-through?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There are a few spots that add new enemies *inside* the boss fights, which can be kinda cool. Although there are only a few like that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the pigs in tseldora

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, so 'not much but a bit'. How does weapon scaling work at NG+? I was having duels rather than smackdowns by the end of the game in NG so I can't imagine it being too fun by the time I get to say, the Earthen Peak and need to do multiple hits on multiple enemies multiple times with poison/etc. all in the mix. I guess what I'm really asking is - should I bank my good-will towards the game for another NG run with a different archetype, or push on with NG+ ?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Southern Heel posted:

OK, so 'not much but a bit'. How does weapon scaling work at NG+? I was having duels rather than smackdowns by the end of the game in NG so I can't imagine it being too fun by the time I get to say, the Earthen Peak and need to do multiple hits on multiple enemies multiple times with poison/etc. all in the mix. I guess what I'm really asking is - should I bank my good-will towards the game for another NG run with a different archetype, or push on with NG+ ?
Do what you want

Now that you have seen everything the game has to offer (more or less), I'd say it's time to look up what you missed, and put that "I should have gone Dex for this!" thought to work.

Or your continue playing your NG+ char, because you want to explore more and you like that char. That's cool, too. I also do not really understand where your problems come from - I pushed through NG+ and way into NG++ to get all achievements, and at no point I felt incredibly overwhelmed. Sure, the enemies do more damage. So do you. The jump isn't that big. If you could deal with Amana on NG, there is no way the Forest enemies should give you any sort of trouble on NG+. What are you actually feeling overwhelmed by? Of course you need multiple hits on enemies, even the biggest club can't one-hit everything after a certain point in Dark Souls. That's perfectly normal. And trust me, I have used some big clubs.

EDIT: Weapon scaling doesn't change at all.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Is there an equivalent to http://smcnabb.github.io/dark-souls-2-cheat-sheet/ for Scholar of the First Sin? I'd like to do a proper completionist playthrough next time.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well right now I'm getting gangraped by the hollows by the crossbow-ambush room on the way to Pate. I have a parry/falchion character on the simmer so I may swap to that.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Southern Heel posted:

Well right now I'm getting gangraped by the hollows by the crossbow-ambush room on the way to Pate. I have a parry/falchion character on the simmer so I may swap to that.

Have you tried man mode-ing them? I just started NG+ on a STR/Hex guy and that's how I dealt with them. Edit: I was using the greatsword.

Edit #2: for more detail, I lured them out of that room and usually I could hit 2-3 of them at a time with a swing as they were coming out.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 10, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What does 'man-moding' them mean? I guess just a combo of high poise (or low poise damage) and having them all syncopate their attacks to smash through my guard/chase me through rolls.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

What does 'man-moding' them mean? I guess just a combo of high poise (or low poise damage) and having them all syncopate their attacks to smash through my guard/chase me through rolls.

You charge right the gently caress in and kill them all as they come out like a champ.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Southern Heel posted:

Become proficient.

On a real note, it might be useful to trigger them and then run back and up the ladder. Alternatively you could trigger them and then draw them into the big group of exploding barrels nearby. I've had more luck with the former.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fool_of_sound posted:

You charge right the gently caress in and kill them all as they come out like a champ.

They each have kinda this 'wakeup' animation so if you really just blitz the gently caress out of them it can work really well. But you have to be careful you don't miss one behind you or they'll go off and you'll get chain stunned to death.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

Primarily, it's about not caring about using a shield and smacking things with offense before they can smack you. Dark Souls 2 has at least a few enemy attacks to punish shields that are more than just a standard guard break, and thus if you're two-handing/powerstancing then the defense-to-offense tradeoff is just a bit less detrimental. Secondarily, it's often about doing most of your damage through melee attacks.* In any case, in addition to being able to dodge consistently you'll either want to be making fast attacks (rapiers are great for this) or to be making heavy attacks to break enemy poise.

In my case I've been powerstancing a fully upgraded Majestic Greatsword/Drangleic Sword, and while neither is a strike weapon running around with the two of them and dodging everything is a lot of fun. About the only enemies I've had issue with are the ones with high poise and wide sweeps (such as the Greatsword Phantoms in Undead Purgatory/Belfry Sol), but at least in that case I can just sling a bunch of Dark Beads.

*Magic is still useful after the "rebalance" but it's not AMAZING like pre-nerf lightning spears and whatnot. I usually stick with a lot of Dark Bead and a Dark Sunset Staff on NG+-whatever, since those do decent damage against non-bosses and come with an absurd quantity of casts.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

They each have kinda this 'wakeup' animation so if you really just blitz the gently caress out of them it can work really well. But you have to be careful you don't miss one behind you or they'll go off and you'll get chain stunned to death.

Yeah, I wasn't kidding about that strat.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well I did a combination of this - triggered them and legged it, then came back and took them out. This character is a quality build weighted towards dex, but I really can't go through using Syan's Halberd for the rest of the game again. I'm thinking of:

a) Respec to remove STR and add INT for magic weapon buff + Old Whip/Warped Sword/dex weapon
b) Keep things as is and go for Mastodon GS + Fire Weapon buff

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I did my NG++ run with the Curved Nil Greatsword, and it was pretty fun + good. It's a quality weapon and it gets a unique damage bonus based on your NG+ level. I really liked the combination of its speed and its wide sweeping attacks, although the stamina consumption was kinda heavy which can be a pain for some of the tankier NG++ enemies.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Maybe some friendly goons can help me, because I'm feeling a little aimless in my 'build,' such as it is.
The idea is a paladin of sorts, i.e., heavy armor, big weapons, and miracles for buffs and self-healing. Here's where I am so far:

Lv 70
Vgr 20
End 20
Vit 7
Atn 11
Str 16
Dex 14
Adp 20
Int 3
Fth 12

Morningstar +6
Spear +3
Chime +2
Silver Eagle Kite Shield

Royal Swordsman Helm +1
Falconer's Armor +2
Falconer's Gloves
Falconer's Boots

Not having many clearer ideas, I started as a Knight and spent a fair bit of effort getting my Faith and Attunement up to where I could at least use Heal, plus leveling my Adaptability. I figure I'll work towards Str 20 for halberds, then start pumping Faith - but I still haven't found anyone who actually sells any drat miracles. :mad: Or maybe start boosting Vit, since that seems to be the "I want to wear heavy gear" stat.

I guess I'm asking for general advice - I know Str/Fth isn't stupidly powerful or anything, but I'm having fun and it seems to be working so far, so I'm not asking for anything like "respec your character into a Dex mage." But suggestions for weapons/armor I might want to consider, directions to take in allocating stats, or just "keep an eye out for a really good sword for that in ____ area, wink wink" - stuff like that would be great.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes i find it tricky to find good builds that arent just some fantasy roleplay stuff. Im playing with a katana and most builds seem like some kinda ninja stuff.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Starman:

For armor, Alva armor is probably the best at that weight class. You unlock it by spending enough souls at Maughlin. You can definitely stick with the morningstar if you want, but switching to the craftsmen's hammer (chest near the smith in bastille) is a good idea. it's stronger and has a better moveset. For spells, you probably want enough Faith to use Sunlight Blade and Great Magic Barrier. I'd ignore Strength, enchant my weapon towards lightning, and focus on improving Vigor and Endurance otherwise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Maybe some friendly goons can help me, because I'm feeling a little aimless in my 'build,' such as it is.
The idea is a paladin of sorts, i.e., heavy armor, big weapons, and miracles for buffs and self-healing. Here's where I am so far:

Lv 70
Vgr 20
End 20
Vit 7
Atn 11
Str 16
Dex 14
Adp 20
Int 3
Fth 12

Morningstar +6
Spear +3
Chime +2
Silver Eagle Kite Shield

Royal Swordsman Helm +1
Falconer's Armor +2
Falconer's Gloves
Falconer's Boots

Not having many clearer ideas, I started as a Knight and spent a fair bit of effort getting my Faith and Attunement up to where I could at least use Heal, plus leveling my Adaptability. I figure I'll work towards Str 20 for halberds, then start pumping Faith - but I still haven't found anyone who actually sells any drat miracles. :mad: Or maybe start boosting Vit, since that seems to be the "I want to wear heavy gear" stat.

I guess I'm asking for general advice - I know Str/Fth isn't stupidly powerful or anything, but I'm having fun and it seems to be working so far, so I'm not asking for anything like "respec your character into a Dex mage." But suggestions for weapons/armor I might want to consider, directions to take in allocating stats, or just "keep an eye out for a really good sword for that in ____ area, wink wink" - stuff like that would be great.

Heavy armor, big weapons, and 7 vitality? :v: That's not a smart plan.

For how early you are in the game just pump VIT and STR until you actually get miracles you like and then you can worry about FTH.

DS2 lets you respec so don't worry about making a commitment anyways.

STR/FTH is a perfectly fine build. Find a nice STR weapon and put sunlight blade on it when you get far enough to find that spell. Done.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Just found out that the Eye of the Priestess let's you see the invisible enemies in Shaded Woods too. I'm guessing that's only in Scholar cause I never noticed it in the base game.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Ghost of Starman:

Buy the Royal Kite Shield from Mcduff, also as mentioned above consider using the hammer you get from his room. Also as mentioned above putting some points in to Vit is going to go a long way in your armor/weapon choices. You have two main routes, you can pump STR or you can pump faith and enchant your weapon with lightening. As far as armor goes, I'd just wear whatever you can get away with, seeing as your Vit is so low. Stats to de-prioritize: Dex, unless you find a weapon you want to use that requires X amount of Dex, Int as well. Your VGR, END, and ADP are decent, but I wouldn't totally ignore them moving forward. I would put on the Royal Soldier's Ring until you get your vit to more comfortable level.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
grumble, grumble...

So I finally found miracles-lady. (On the plus side, a +6 morningstar did a pretty good job carving through the enemies in Heide's Tower. :haw:)
I'm guessing that I have done things slightly out of 'expected' order, because I have had access to someone that sells unlimited Large Titanite Shards for quite some time, but can't bloody -use- them because I still haven't found anyone to sell me small Shards. :mad:
I know, I know, I'll find someone in the area past Huntsman's Copse; it's just bloody frustrating because I've had the stats to use better weapons for a while, but no way to upgrade them. :(

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

grumble, grumble...

So I finally found miracles-lady. (On the plus side, a +6 morningstar did a pretty good job carving through the enemies in Heide's Tower. :haw:)
I'm guessing that I have done things slightly out of 'expected' order, because I have had access to someone that sells unlimited Large Titanite Shards for quite some time, but can't bloody -use- them because I still haven't found anyone to sell me small Shards. :mad:
I know, I know, I'll find someone in the area past Huntsman's Copse; it's just bloody frustrating because I've had the stats to use better weapons for a while, but no way to upgrade them. :(

If it makes you feel better, the morningstar isn't objectively bad. Most weapons can be used to great effect when you get used to them.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

So what light shield is it that can deflect spells without even needing to parry?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

None. Yorgh's Ring has a random chance of it.

I know a thing that lets me do it 100% of the time without needing to parry, but I doubt you saw that since it's not well known at all.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 12, 2015

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I had no idea it had such a high proc rate. I guess it just happened to be that the only times it didn't proc were when his shield happened to be down.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I haven't played since release, are bows any good now? I'm starting a dual wielding run and I don't wanna get burned in the Darklurker fight like I did in my first (all melee) playthrough.

I guess I could also level the bare minimum str and agi to meet my weapon requirements, then focus on Int and Faith and try to scale my damage that way?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elman posted:

So I haven't played since release, are bows any good now? I'm starting a dual wielding run and I don't wanna get burned in the Darklurker fight like I did in my first (all melee) playthrough.

I guess I could also level the bare minimum str and agi to meet my weapon requirements, then focus on Int and Faith and try to scale my damage that way?

Bows were always good, but they won't help you much with Darklurker, they are too slow. Dual wielding will almost certainly be easier way to kill him. Darklurker pure melee isn't that hard if you have a good weapon at +10, probably easier than using magic on him since you can't nuke him with firestorm as he splits anymore.

Pure physical damage is best in general, infusion+buff will get you through most of the game a little more easily but the DLC zones shut that right down. Also if you're dual wielding you need a pretty sizable investment in STR/DEX anyway, so I wouldn't bother going for magic damage.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hmm... feeling kinda overwhelmed by options of where to go.
Lost Bastille - the fog door just past Straid's cell
Luna Belfry
Undead Purgatory
Shaded Wood
Earthen Peak
whatever's past that fire-spewing salamander in Lost Forest of Giants, I think I can take him by now :black101:
...and I guess whatever's in The Pit, it would be pretty easy to scrounge up the souls for the catfall ring

Suggestions? Advice? "Go where your heart takes you"? :)
Edit: Oh, right - still doing the STR/FTH "paladin" thing, so anything that points me in the direction of useful new miracles, armor, weapons, boss souls would be double-plus good.

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 13, 2015

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Hmm... feeling kinda overwhelmed by options of where to go.
Lost Bastille - the fog door just past Straid's cell
Luna Belfry
Undead Purgatory
Shaded Wood
Earthen Peak
whatever's past that fire-spewing salamander in Lost Forest of Giants, I think I can take him by now :black101:
...and I guess whatever's in The Pit, it would be pretty easy to scrounge up the souls for the catfall ring

Suggestions? Advice? "Go where your heart takes you"? :)
Edit: Oh, right - still doing the STR/FTH "paladin" thing, so anything that points me in the direction of useful new miracles, armor, weapons, boss souls would be double-plus good.

If you want a loose end to tie up, then the fog door beyond Straid's cell is the place to go.

Alternatively the Shaded Wood path has a long way to go and 3+ shopkeepers to encounter for gear.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lost Bastille, Belfry, and Undead Purgatory are all good places to go if you want to close off some options. Also, don't forget about ominous hole in the middle of Majula that hungers for your broken bones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Righty-o! Thanks for the suggestions. :patriot:

Unrelated: is it just me, or was the Covetous Demon a bit of a chump? :cheeky: