Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think I'd recommend the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game if you want more emphasis on the coop and less on the deckbuilding (there's none).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Azran posted:

I think I'd recommend the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game if you want more emphasis on the coop and less on the deckbuilding (there's none).

Came here to post this. It'll have expansions as well, but it's purely a puzzle of using your characters actions and equipment correctly to beat the quests, not building a deck against the enemy deck. It's really good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Azran posted:

It's not that i don't like deck building (I actually do; have a Netrunner deck builder app on my phone for when I'm seized by some terrible janky idea on my morning commute)! I was just trying to get a feel for the game.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Zephro posted:

Hm, thanks. So is the game mostly in the deck design to beat a given scenario? Are you just hunting for the One True Deck that will get you through a scenario, or does player skill play a big role?

Player skill is still very important but at least half the game is building the right deck. That said, there's an optional easy mode which removes the more bullshit cards in a given scenario (usually about 4 or 5 cards out of like 40) and starts your heroes with extra resources. Playing that I've beaten about 15 different scenarios with the same deck, which is simply Faramir pushing enemies into spike pits and throwing nets on them.

Replayability on individual quests is pretty high, mainly because a lot of cards have two effects, one when they come out normally, and one when they're dealt as a shadow card to an enemy. It leaves room for a lot of unexpected interactions from the deck, a quest you previously breezed through by racing through dark tunnels as fast as possible might next time unleash a huge goblin horde on you (I died to this last night)

All that said, it's slightly better two player than solo, and there's only three scenarios in the core set (out of 69 total) so it does want for expansions relatively quickly.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

In other news, I should probably work on the OP. Any suggestions?

Would love to see details on each game - if it's symmetrical or not, how many factions available, when it was released, and links to the tutorial videos on youtube.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mothafuckin' Necrons

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/15/legions-of-death

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
They look really strong too :o

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Standard Bearer is a pretty amazing card for both Nazdreg and Commander Sunstarburstblaze whatever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is that all the 40K factions in Conquest then?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Until they announce the surprise return of the Squats.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Thanks for the LOTRO advice. Bought a core set today, looking forward to playing around with it!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GrandpaPants posted:

Until they announce the surprise return of the Squats.

One card in Astra Militarium does NOT count as Sisters of Battle. :mad:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

StashAugustine posted:

Is that all the 40K factions in Conquest then?

It's a shame the Inquisition Ordos aren't their own faction, to be honest.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Zephro posted:

Thanks for the LOTRO advice. Bought a core set today, looking forward to playing around with it!

I can tell you are a natural, because you're already calling it LOTRO :yotj:

Be sure to visit https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/ because the Core set is sort of a warped experience in terms of what to expect from quest difficulty and player card power.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 16, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Baron Porkface posted:

I can tell you are a natural, because you're already calling it LOTRO :yotj:
Haha. Old habits die hard I guess!

quote:

Be sure to visit https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/ because the Core set is sort of a warped experience in terms of what to expect from quest difficulty and player card power.
OK, thanks, I'll check it out.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Zephro posted:

Haha. Old habits die hard I guess!

OK, thanks, I'll check it out.

Specifically, the second quest is unbelievably difficult, especially if you are limited to a single core.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Max posted:

Specifically, the second quest is unbelievably difficult, especially if you are limited to a single core.

Forest Snare is your friend.

Actual Question: In "The Hunt for Gollum." Stage 3 has a rule that states something to the effect of "Players without a hero with a Clue cannot be committed to the quest" (I'm at work and don't have the exact wording.) If, during the quest phase, you reveal the Treachery that deals 1 damage to each character currently committed or with a clue (thus removing the attached clue), do they remain committed or are they removed? Also, if this triggers and ALL clue tokens are removed from characters, does the quest immediately reset back to Stage 2, or does the quest finish resolving, THEN reset? In other words, can you complete it before it reverts?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Conquest players! Have an opinion on this Broderick Worr deck!

Broderick Worr

Army (27)
3x10th Company Scout
4xAnxious Infantry Platoon
2xCadian Mortar Squad
1xInfantry Conscripts
2xInterrogator Acolyte
3xIron Guard Recruits
3xRatling Deadeye
3xSanctioned Psyker
2xSeraphim Superior Allegra
2xSteel Legion Chimera
2xTactical Squad Cardinis

Attachment (7)
1xCommissarial Bolt Pistol
3xHonorifica Imperialis
3xPromotion

Event (11)
3xPreemptive Barrage
2xSummary Execution
3xThe Emperor's Warrant
3xTo Arms!

Support (5)
2xCatachan Outpost
1xForward Barracks
2xHoly Fusillade

Tries to just run good, synergistic stuff that also plays well with Worr's ability, hence why I mostly lean on Astra and not Marines.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

Actual Question: In "The Hunt for Gollum." Stage 3 has a rule that states something to the effect of "Players without a hero with a Clue cannot be committed to the quest" (I'm at work and don't have the exact wording.) If, during the quest phase, you reveal the Treachery that deals 1 damage to each character currently committed or with a clue (thus removing the attached clue), do they remain committed or are they removed? Also, if this triggers and ALL clue tokens are removed from characters, does the quest immediately reset back to Stage 2, or does the quest finish resolving, THEN reset? In other words, can you complete it before it reverts?

For clarification, the exact text is:

"Any player who does not control a hero with at least 1 Clue objective attached cannot commit characters to this quest. If there are ever no heroes with Clue objectives attached in play, reset the quest deck to stage 2B."

To commit characters to a quest is to declare them legally as going on the quest, before the staging step, so they would stay committed even if they lost the clue.

On the second point you'd go straight back to stage 2. Not only is there a full player action window between staging and quest resolution (so there's a definable gap between the two) but on quests where there's a different trigger to completing a quest card (for example the Hill Troll in Journey Down the Anduin) you move forward on the quest the instant the condition is met. Stands to reason the reverse is true also.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

If not Blood Angels Veterans why not Blood Angels Veterans?

Also I've never been that scared of a Holy Fusillade. Catachan Ouposts I have been though.

A lot of our Worr players are bringing back Imperial Bunkers and Boyguards on BAVs to just be horrible damage sponges.

MisterShine fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 16, 2015

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Single Tight Female posted:

For clarification, the exact text is:

"Any player who does not control a hero with at least 1 Clue objective attached cannot commit characters to this quest. If there are ever no heroes with Clue objectives attached in play, reset the quest deck to stage 2B."

To commit characters to a quest is to declare them legally as going on the quest, before the staging step, so they would stay committed even if they lost the clue.

On the second point you'd go straight back to stage 2. Not only is there a full player action window between staging and quest resolution (so there's a definable gap between the two) but on quests where there's a different trigger to completing a quest card (for example the Hill Troll in Journey Down the Anduin) you move forward on the quest the instant the condition is met. Stands to reason the reverse is true also.

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I guess we may need to play that again since I *think* we may have played that incorrectly. Not sure since it was our 3rd try that night. Those locations in that one add up REALLY quickly and our Lore player decided to "hold back Glorfindel for defense" despite the fact that I was playing mono Leadership and someone else playing mono Tactics. :confused:

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I guess we may need to play that again since I *think* we may have played that incorrectly. Not sure since it was our 3rd try that night. Those locations in that one add up REALLY quickly and our Lore player decided to "hold back Glorfindel for defense" despite the fact that I was playing mono Leadership and someone else playing mono Tactics. :confused:

Oh god yeah people really need to learn to risk taking a hit too. Can't count the number of times I've been the only one bringing willpower to a quest because my friend wants to hold back all three heroes when there's no enemies on the board and only two cards coming out. Also I wish I only worried about the locations in HfG, it's those Hunters from Mordor dropping at the wrong time and becoming 8 atk that worry me.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

MisterShine posted:

If not Blood Angels Veterans why not Blood Angels Veterans?

Also I've never been that scared of a Holy Fusillade. Catachan Ouposts I have been though.

Veterans don't combo as well with Worr as Astra units was my first thought, and I went with the Mortar Squads to go with the Fusillade + Pre-Emptive combo. I could see taking out the chimeras for them, though.

So: -1 Fusillade, +1 Catchan, -2 Steel Legion Chimera, +2 Blood Angels Veterans?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 16, 2015

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Single Tight Female posted:

Oh god yeah people really need to learn to risk taking a hit too. Can't count the number of times I've been the only one bringing willpower to a quest because my friend wants to hold back all three heroes when there's no enemies on the board and only two cards coming out. Also I wish I only worried about the locations in HfG, it's those Hunters from Mordor dropping at the wrong time and becoming 8 atk that worry me.

Well, the thing about those is that we even had enough stuff to prevent that (at least once). Most times we were rolling up on a quest MEETING the displayed threat (not counting revealed cards.) So I, as Leadership, was committing all 3 heroes, and the Tactics player at least 2. We then usually revealed NO enemies and thus threated out the first playthrough. Lore player learned his lesson, thankfully.

That said, I've had this game for a couple of years and only very recently fell completely in love with it. It's really the best co-op game I've ever played. We're currently playing through the AP's in order and unlocking cards from each pack as we play them, so it's cool to feel like our decks are "levelling up."

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EdsTeioh posted:

True, but you only get like, 1 or 2 in a single core, so have fun hoping that you pull that right at the beginning.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Deviant posted:

Conquest players! Have an opinion on this Broderick Worr deck!

As far as I can tell, you're just using SM for Tactical Squad Cardinis and 10th Company Scout (note: Eager Recruit + Catachan is some good Warlord hunting capabilities). Why not switch to Orks and get Ammo Depot, Ork Kannon, and Shoota Boyz if you really needed a 1 for 1? I'm also surprised at the lack of Void Pirates and Rogue Traders.

Other good cards that seem to be missing include Tallarn Raiders, Elysian Assault Squad, Staging Ground and an Elite of some kind.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

As far as I can tell, you're just using SM for Tactical Squad Cardinis and 10th Company Scout (note: Eager Recruit + Catachan is some good Warlord hunting capabilities). Why not switch to Orks and get Ammo Depot, Ork Kannon, and Shoota Boyz if you really needed a 1 for 1? I'm also surprised at the lack of Void Pirates and Rogue Traders.

Other good cards that seem to be missing include Tallarn Raiders, Elysian Assault Squad, Staging Ground and an Elite of some kind.

I can see your point re: orks, but I'm not sure where the hell i'd squeeze in the tallarn/elysian/staging/elite..

That's also a LOT of support cards, isn't it?

Maybe I'm over-valuing the Pre-emptive barrages/Fusillade/Seraphim Superior combo and could cut them?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 16, 2015

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Max posted:

True, but you only get like, 1 or 2 in a single core, so have fun hoping that you pull that right at the beginning.

I think you've answered your own question there! :homebrew: Kidding aside, that troll is friggin ridiculous.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

An Ork combo Worr deck looks more like this:

Army (28)
3xRatling Deadeye
3xShoota Mob
4xAnxious Infantry Platoon
3xIron Guard Recruits
3xSanctioned Psyker
2xCadian Mortar Squad
2xInterrogator Acolyte
2xSteel Legion Chimera
2xBurna Boyz
3xInfantry Conscripts
1xLeman Russ Battle Tank

Attachment (7)
3xPromotion
1xCommissarial Bolt Pistol
3xHonorifica Imperialis

Event (8)
2xSummary Execution
3xTo Arms!
3xThe Emperor's Warrant

Support (7)
2xAmmo Depot
2xOrk Kannon
2xCatachan Outpost
1xForward Barracks

Or I could dive full on with the fusillade+ranged+pre-emptive combo, but I'm not sure how well it'd work. Can't I just combo fusillade+Seraphim to hammer yet another round of Ranged combat?

Edit: Oh, drat, fusillade+Seraphim doesn't work the way i think it does. *hurls combo in trash*

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 16, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Deviant posted:

I can see your point re: orks, but I'm not sure where the hell i'd squeeze in the tallarn/elysian/staging/elite..

My main concern for the deck is that it just seem so soft, that unless you can consistently get off the your ranged tricks, you're kinda boned. Anything that can do a lot of area damage (Tau with Gun Drones + Broadside, Chaos with Warp Storm, Orks with Kannon + generally out HPing you + Weirdboy Maniak, Tyranids with Spore + Shrieking Harpy + being point for point better units than what you have) would likely chew through your 1-2 HP guys, and you'd lose a lot of investment.

I don't play AM so I'm at a disadvantage, but I'd replace the Sanctioned Psykers and definitely Infantry Conscripts with some mid-beef, like Assault Valkyrie or something (2 assault, 2 leman russ? Is Leman really the only worthwhile Elite in AM...?). Cut the Honorifica Imperialis's because while 2 shields are good, you don't have anything with a decent enough punch (without Catachans) to really make me give a poo poo, and it's 2 cost for an attachment. Similarly, you don't really have enough good Supports to justify To Arms, so I'd cut those 3. Cutting those gives you 6 slots to play with, so maybe 3 Kannons, 2 Ammo Depots, 1 Catachan? Maybe replace the Ammo Depots/Kannons with Staging Grounds depending on how the deck actually plays?

Losing SM means the slots for the 10th Company and Cardinis gets replaced, which is an easy swap for Tallarn and Elysian.

Again though I don't play AM, so uh, grain of salt and everything. I'd be interested in seeing how it works out, though.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EdsTeioh posted:

I think you've answered your own question there! :homebrew: Kidding aside, that troll is friggin ridiculous.

It's double the fun if you pull another troll during that stage.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Max posted:

It's double the fun if you pull another troll during that stage.

There's just the one in that AP though isn't there?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EdsTeioh posted:

There's just the one in that AP though isn't there?

Nope. There are two in that core set in the encounter deck.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

canyoneer posted:

Nope. There are two in that core set in the encounter deck.

Well drat; I guess we got lucky as crap when we did it.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Here's the Worr build that I've been using recently:

Warlord:
Commissar Broderick Worr

Army (29):
4x Anxious Infantry Platoon
1x Captain Markis
2x Elysian Assault Team
2x Enginseer Augur
3x Iron Guard Recruits
3x Ratling Deadeye
3x Sanctioned Psyker
2x Snakebite Thug
3x Steel Legion Chimera
3x Tallarn Raiders
3x Void Pirate

Attachment (4):
1x Commissarial Bolt Pistol
3x Promotion

Event (9):
3x Preemptive Barrage
2x Summary Execution
2x Suppressive Fire
2x The Emperor's Warrant

Support (8):
2x Catachan Outpost
1x Forward Barracks
3x Inquisitorial Fortress
2x Rockcrete Bunker

It's low on shields but pretty boss otherwise, and your defensive/control effects help mitigate the damage issue. Forward Barracks is really OP!

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 16, 2015

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Here's a very unglamorous question - what's the best way to organise LOTR cards? I guess you want binder sections for Lore, Tactics, Leadership, Spirit and Neutral. But what about the encounter cards and the quest cards? I can see storing quest cards on a single binder page for each quest, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the Encounter ones, since they get used in multiple scenarios...

Zephro fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 17, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Do it by the symbol on them, like say for core, put the forest ones together, spider ones etc.

Speaking of which. I need to actually store my cards better, but a binder seems too much hassle to me. I think sleeve them then sorted piles in a box might be the way for me. Sections for player cards / Encounter / quest cards. Player cards by sphere, release - thanks to the earlier idea - and then by their type. Encounter cards by Release, then by their set, and then by specific importance - that is put the important ones for quest setup somewhere easy to get to. Quest cars just by release.

I could binder player cards in the long run but I'd probably do a sorted stacks at first.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

The Dread Realm is out! In honor of the fact that the spirit cards are clearly going to work better with Spirit Glorfindel than Arwen, post your GlorfindelXAragorn slashart!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Zephro posted:

Here's a very unglamorous question - what's the best way to organise LOTR cards? I guess you want binder sections for Lore, Tactics, Leadership, Spirit and Neutral. But what about the encounter cards and the quest cards? I can see storing quest cards on a single binder page for each quest, but I'm not quite sure what to do with the Encounter ones, since they get used in multiple scenarios...

Go to your local hobby shop and see if they have "Team Sleeves." They're like penny sleeves but are designed to hold a bunch of baseball cards (hence the 'team') and will hold a decent amount. Put each encounter type in one. I've got a buddy that has done that with EVERY set of cards for Dominion and it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Amoeba102 posted:

Do it by the symbol on them, like say for core, put the forest ones together, spider ones etc.

Speaking of which. I need to actually store my cards better, but a binder seems too much hassle to me. I think sleeve them then sorted piles in a box might be the way for me. Sections for player cards / Encounter / quest cards. Player cards by sphere, release - thanks to the earlier idea - and then by their type. Encounter cards by Release, then by their set, and then by specific importance - that is put the important ones for quest setup somewhere easy to get to. Quest cars just by release.

I could binder player cards in the long run but I'd probably do a sorted stacks at first.

I have a Broken Token insert for the core set that holds the Core/Mirkwood/Khazad-Dum/Dwarrowdelf adventure packs (so two full cycles worth) quite comfortably while sleeved, along with the tokens and trackers and little quest sheets. If their inserts for the deluxe-expansion sized boxes didn't have the token insert, I'd consider getting one of those per cycle / two sagas and putting them in the deluxe boxes they came with, but at 24 bucks a pop MSRP that's a tad too much. Would look nice on the shelf, though.

I'm planning on putting the rest of the adventure decks in one of those shoeboxes and rotating through which ones go in the core set box depending on what cycle I'm playing at the time. Unless I eventually go full swag as mentioned above.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 17, 2015