Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Saoshyant posted:

You need to play Binary Domain. Now.

Big Bo knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Soon, maybe all the Yakuza bucks will finally get us a Binary Domain 2.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would be super down for a post-war Yakuza game. Crib from Battles Without Honor and Humanity.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Saoshyant posted:

Tell your mother I love her.

(I've played it, I loved it)

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm sure the game is going to try and trick me into sympathising with her eventually, but I want to state for the record that Ms. Park is a real piece of poo poo.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Not Operator posted:

I'm sure the game is going to try and trick me into sympathising with her eventually, but I want to state for the record that Ms. Park is a real piece of poo poo.

Agreed.

Also for the locker keys in chapter 3, do I want to wait and get them with Akiyama or do Haruka and Akiyama share an inventory? since Haruka doesn't have combat I figure ill want the items for him.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Zaggitz posted:

Agreed.

Also for the locker keys in chapter 3, do I want to wait and get them with Akiyama or do Haruka and Akiyama share an inventory? since Haruka doesn't have combat I figure ill want the items for him.

Last I heard, they don't. So save the locker keys for Akiyama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So to quote near every non Japanese person ever, what the gently caress is up with pachinko?

Like, I know what it is on paper, but I have no idea how I'm ACTUALLY supposed to play these machines. I spent like 3 grand on the Virtua Fighter pachinko machine and thought I was doing well because I was progressing the...story??? but somehow I got zero balls for it and was a chump.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So to quote near every non Japanese person ever, what the gently caress is up with pachinko?

Like, I know what it is on paper, but I have no idea how I'm ACTUALLY supposed to play these machines. I spent like 3 grand on the Virtua Fighter pachinko machine and thought I was doing well because I was progressing the...story??? but somehow I got zero balls for it and was a chump.

At the heart of it, a pachinko game is like a slot machine. You put money in and hopefully enough balls go through to eventually trigger a win. That's really all there is to it, it's just a slot machine, you put the money in, you hope you get a jackpot after enough time, the flashy graphics distract you from the fact that you're throwing away all those child support payments on a CGI Aladdin game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's good when balls go in the good hole and bad when they go in the bad hole at the bottom. Try to get most of your balls to land in the good hole.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's good when balls go in the good hole and bad when they go in the bad hole at the bottom. Try to get most of your balls to land in the good hole.

We're still talking about pachinko, right?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yes.
You also wanna try and get as many extra balls as possible.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The best compliment that I can pay this game is that I really want there to be a post-game substory where, as Saejima, I get to take the deputy warden out for a long night of Korean BBQ and batting practice. And maybe also form The A-Team with him and my prison roomies.

But NEVER MIND THAT poo poo BECAUSE NOW I'M FIGHTING A BEAR.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

man nurse posted:

It's a miracle enough we're getting Zero, but god drat I want that remake and 6. I hope we can keep this train going. We've come this far, right?

I bet the same two people they tasked with translating Five just rolled onto Zero as soon as they were done. Who's to say the process need stop there?

Actually, once someone hits the English credits I'd be curious to see how many people are credited as 'Translators/Localizers.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still want my Binary Domain x Yakuza crossover game, where Big Bo and Cain has to team up with cyborg Kiryu and Majima against an army of evil robots in the bustling streets of Neo-Kamurocho.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Saoshyant posted:

I worked on Binary Domain, but I recall it sinking without nary a ripple upon release.
I didn't know people even noticed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I worked on Binary Domain, but I recall it sinking without nary a ripple upon release.

It's pretty cult classic-y I thought, at least among Goons it well enough is.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Like most good SEGA games, they come out without anyone really noticing that it came out.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I just started chapter 2-4 and this is already my favorite Yakuza. It feels like at least the two subgames I've played are as big and dense as Kamurocho used to be. I love how the two characters both fight completely differently and have a ton of different minigames and subquests and whatnot. Makes it feel a lot more like different games vs Yakuza 4, in which the different chapters and protags felt kinda samey.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Has anyone from these parts done a good LP of Binary Domain that I can watch on YouTube? I tried playing it when it was free with PS+ but it didn't quite take with me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can check the master list of SA LPs: http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/

But the answer is yes: http://lparchive.org/Binary-Domain/

I think it's well worth watching for the series of wacky twists at the end.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 13, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I heard it only sold around 20K copies in the US. Shame too, it's honestly one of the better third person shooters I've played behind maybe Vanquish. But yeah, it is pretty much the definition of a cult-classic, with a small but dedicated fanbase. Much like the Yakuza games for that matter.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I hosed up the HEAT action in the (amazing) boss fight in 2-2, will I fight a boss like that again so I can see it?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Binary Domain owns

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That unlockable Taxi race is 110% bullshit.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it wrong to want this jacket?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Manzai/Stand up comedy really didn't translate too well to English.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Four hundred attempts later, and I'm still unable to do any better than 68 percent on there.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

How is the translation quality overall?
I thought that the manzai thing would be a total bitch.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
There are a few minor errors like how they call the shotguns you use in Saijima's chapter double-barreled rifles, but it's good overall.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I enjoyed talking about Hokkaido dialect with the hostess at the beginning of Saejima's section. I thought that was localized pretty well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea all in all it's a good translation, the problem is unlike past things that are like 'well SEGA thought people couldn't handle a Japanese based trivia game', Manzai is super Japanese and super different from what 90% of non-Japanese people view as a modern comedy thing. I fuckin love it but yea, that's gotta be a bitch to translate

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There was a cab driving mission where your fare was a foriegner and you had to tell them stuff about Japanese and translate stuff. That was a lot of guessing. Also I am loving Saejima's sub-stories a lot more than Kiryu's. A car crashed at a mall? FIGHT A BEAR. Plus brutalizing people to help the Little Match Girl, being a Battle Santa, all that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I love Kiryu's story because it's basically the only place his character could have gone at this point to just be full on self imposed exile but holy poo poo is Saejima just insane and fun along with the good main story.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I just got to Haruka's bit. Is my boy Akiyama next or is it the new bloke?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I love Kiryu's story because it's basically the only place his character could have gone at this point to just be full on self imposed exile but holy poo poo is Saejima just insane and fun along with the good main story.
Saejima's got that hunting thing where you stalk around the snowy Hokkaido wilderness, right? Does a rival clan eventually send goons after you, and Saejima has to hunt them?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I want a Yakuza game set in the late 70s where you play as a punk rock biker gang dude who just happens to be modeled after and voiced by Seiji from Guitar Wolf, who also does the soundtrack.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

projecthalaxy posted:

There was a cab driving mission where your fare was a foriegner and you had to tell them stuff about Japanese and translate stuff. That was a lot of guessing. Also I am loving Saejima's sub-stories a lot more than Kiryu's. A car crashed at a mall? FIGHT A BEAR. Plus brutalizing people to help the Little Match Girl, being a Battle Santa, all that.

When I got the westerner I thought it was going to be a slam dunk but instead I got them all wrong. I assume that in the original version he quizzes you on English instead.

Has anybody managed to beat the cop in the sports car? He is ridiculously fast and the regular trick of saving everything for the final lap doesn't work when he's got a solid lead on you for the whole race.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

croutonZA posted:

I just got to Haruka's bit. Is my boy Akiyama next or is it the new bloke?

It's ya boy.

Also I used a guide for the manzai thing because it was completely alien to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

mikeycp posted:

I would be super down for a post-war Yakuza game. Crib from Battles Without Honor and Humanity.

Postwar Japan pre 1964 olympics was a fascinating time and Id live to see a game set at that time. Everyone needs to be wearing suits with gigantic collars all the time though.

• Locked thread