Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And remember that Eve Elite has sound! Seriously the noise of your FSD is basically the only indicator whether you're going to disengage like a pro or go skidding past the station like a scrub :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Strategic Tea posted:

And remember that Eve Elite has sound! Seriously the noise of your FSD is basically the only indicator whether you're going to disengage like a pro or go skidding past the station like a scrub :smuggo:

This is spot on about the sound.

There are audio cues for absolutely everything (go exploring and target different planets in system view...), and the whiny/grindy engine noise when flying close to planets is one of them, but it's a bit counter-intuitive.

It doesn't help at all that the screen will say 'slow down', when what it really means is you are being *slowed* down by whatever you are flying close to. And you can use that to your advantage. It basically means you can throttle up!

There's also a helpful beep when you get to safe drop-out speed, and a different one for range. Similary, fuel scooping by ear is a thing, if you like to live dangerously.

Definitely listen to poo poo.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The "slow down" message actually means "you should've slowed down 2 minutes ago lol".

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Forcyte posted:

Saw this tip on Reddit, and it's worked well for me.

1. Bind a key to 75% throttle
2. Go in at full 100% throttle until time to destination drops to 7 seconds, then hit your 75% throttle key
3. Don't touch your throttle again -- drop out of friendship drive when prompted

Btw, is there a recommended load-out for taking on the bigger ships in a Viper or Cobra? I accepted an assassination mission, only to realize later that the target in his Anaconda was basically impervious to the four pulse lasers I had mounted.

I used to go hunting for pirate Anacondas in my Viper. My go-to loadout was a pair of C1 burst lasers in the nose mounts and two C2 cannons in the wing slots. Basically you want to target their power generator or main drive and hammer that with the cannons when their shields go down. The recent penetration fix might have made cannons less effective, though - you'll want to attack from below and behind, where there's the least hull between you and the generator.

Railguns might be more effective at component sniping, but C2 rails are difficult to fit on a Viper. Torpedos at point-blank range also quite capably cripple subsystems, but you only get four and those things are expensive.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Alphabet bobble heads and a Christmas tree?

:homebrew:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If you don't have Braben on your dash you aren't ~Elite~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhebvZytQuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Bl6XYtJpg

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

I am not ~Elite~ :(

I missed out on the Brabenbobbler by a few weeks, iirc

e: It's okay though, I can write rude words on my dash soooooooooon

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

IrvingWashington posted:

I am not ~Elite~ :(

I missed out on the Brabenbobbler by a few weeks, iirc

e: It's okay though, I can write rude words on my dash soooooooooon

If the letters work like the other bobble heads then you only get 1 of each letter. Meaning no 'butts' or 'rear end' or 'weiners' because you'll only have one 't' or one 's' or one 'e'

EDIT
I stand corrected

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 12, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

If the letters work like the other bobble heads then you only get 1 of each letter. Meaning no 'butts' or 'rear end' or 'weiners' because you'll only have one 't' or one 's' or one 'e'

This isn't true at all and says so on the product description.

quote:

The Alphabet Bobblehead pack gives Commanders access to 71 alphanumeric characters with which to adorn their cockpit. 10 of these bobbleheads can then be displayed in any combination on your ship’s dashboard to spell a word, message or phrase of your choice. All characters can be used more than once.
:frontear:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, that's a bummer; I plan to get "creative"

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

KakerMix posted:

A-R-S-E
D-O-N-G-S
:v:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

WebDog posted:

A-R-S-E
D-O-N-G-S
:v:

Fits nicely in the 10 char limit (If you swap an S for a Z)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"Having fun?" Fits lol

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It is, however, true for the Braben bobblehead.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

KakerMix posted:

EDIT
I stand corrected

ILUVDONG

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEQGbjLONDY

I'll take "Things I probably should have expected" for 1000. Dat Corvette, tho.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

IrvingWashington posted:

Yeah, that's a bummer; I plan to get "creative"

I WILL find a way to dickbutt, one way or another.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Groggy nard posted:

I WILL find a way to dickbutt, one way or another.

I'd suggest using a d, i, c, k, b, u, and two t's.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They've also added an Onionhead T-shirt.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That's been out for a while. Their tshirts are really good quality btw.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The question about what would happen to the player if their ship was destroyed while they were driving around in an SRV has been asked a few times. Now, thanks to goon scientist bricka assisting me, we know what happens.

Experiment 1:
While driving around the surface, a vile marauder preyed on my unguarded ship and destroyed it, leaving me stranded just outside a local settlement where I had docked at previously.

Without a ship to pick me up, I made my way back to Crippen Terminal, where they told me to drive my SRV to Hangar 1

As soon as I entered the hangar, I was immediately presented with the regular insurance screen allowing me to rebuy my ship there and then.

Experiment 2:
After verifying that I could indeed rebuy my ship from the last settlement I docked at, I tried to see what would happen if I lost my ship after docking at a space station.
As such I docked at Hunziker Station and then made my way back to the surface, landing again near Crippen Terminal; to also answer the question "can I blow my own ship up?", I weakened the ship's hull down to 20% integrity and turned off the shields to make it easier for my SRV turret to do its thing

Beautiful

Without a ship for a second time, I made my way back to the Crippen Terminal again

And it turns out that I can rebuy my ship at Crippen Terminal instead of having to start from Hunziker Station again

Not only that, but by rebuying my ship instead of just self-destructing my SRV, I kept all my bounties/bonds/exploration data instead of losing it like it normally happens when my ship explodes with me in it
Before

After

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Alright, 3 evenings of robigo runs, it good.

Got my FDL and my stripped out clipper from the 'no rank' event, a long jumper diamondback explorer, this 20m-ish asp for robigo, the other cool looking imperial fighter ship thing, from when i played over the summer, and now 115m space money thanks to robigo.

Ready for horizons!

FDL with the +5 power from the bigger reactor is going to be a beast I think.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

The drifting specks of light sooth the darkness in my heart.

Enough to forget my nightmares.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

The drifting specks of light sooth the darkness in my heart.

Enough to forget my nightmares.

Oi, you!

What's your colour matrix?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

So with the upcoming update on Tuesday, which activity is more likely to be hurt hardest - rep grinding on Tamar/Liabeze or Robigo running? I'm up to 220m but my fanction ranks still suck, trying to figure out which activity to get one last push in before it's not worth it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone know if the discount for previous Beta owners go away when the game launches?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They said it'd continue for a short time after Horizons is released, that's as specific as they got as far as I remember.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I finally bought an anaconda and I'm ready to achieve some endgame fantasies. I'm spectacularly bad at trading though, anyone got a hot tip? Is there still a trading thread in PGS?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

I finally bought an anaconda and I'm ready to achieve some endgame fantasies. I'm spectacularly bad at trading though, anyone got a hot tip? Is there still a trading thread in PGS?

You can afford an anaconda, but you are bad at trading? How did you get all that moneys?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Trading is going from a to b then back again, non stop, using one of the online tools if you want to min max. It's far from complex

If you don't mind gimping yourself and want to put a bit of thought in, you could go from station to station and use the 'traders bible', see where you end up.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Mitchicon posted:

You can afford an anaconda, but you are bad at trading? How did you get all that moneys?
A fair bit from playing boths sides of that big combat CG ages back and a huge chunk from a weekend running Sothis missions before they nerfed them.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Trading is going from a to b then back again, non stop, using one of the online tools if you want to min max. It's far from complex

If you don't mind gimping yourself and want to put a bit of thought in, you could go from station to station and use the 'traders bible', see where you end up.
Is Thrudd's still the weapon of choice for finding routes? What's considered a good cr/ton rate these days?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

A fair bit from playing boths sides of that big combat CG ages back and a huge chunk from a weekend running Sothis missions before they nerfed them.

Is Thrudd's still the weapon of choice for finding routes? What's considered a good cr/ton rate these days?

Thrudds is long loving dead, https://eddb.io/ is where it's at atm, though always always always the best routes will never be in an online tool.

There's some other neat looking one but it's really difficult to read and gives inconsistent results.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kinda excited for Horizons, haven't played in a fair while and I am looking forward to jumping back in.

How would you guys fit an Asp for general loving around? Money is not an issue, I could max it out if that's worth it.

What's a good pve weapons loadout? Guessing 2 medium beams / 4 small multicannons or maybe the other way around

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

TorakFade posted:

What's a good pve weapons loadout? Guessing 2 medium beams / 4 small multicannons or maybe the other way around

Yeah, other way; the hull size damage reduction only applies to hull damage, so small beams will do exactly the same amount of shield damage against small, medium, and large hulls, while small multicannons will do basically gently caress-all against hulls medium and up.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

DarthBlingBling posted:

What's your colour matrix?

Running http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/#theme_0.5_0.01_0.05_0.48_0.04_1_0.03_0.37_1 which is neat as bad things still show up in red. I forget who made it.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Is the FD really that bad? I'm currently stuck at Midshipman and want to try something different, but I've heard the FD is pretty terrible. I really only play PvE.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yes it is bad.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Got it. Thanks. :v:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Mitchicon posted:

Is the FD really that bad? I'm currently stuck at Midshipman and want to try something different, but I've heard the FD is pretty terrible. I really only play PvE.

It's not great but you might have fun in it anyways. It's really inexpensive for the damage it can pump out and it drifts so much that you can do some simple strafing with it without turning off flight assist. It's good for mining, and if/when piracy is financially viable it can make for a good pirate ship too. The Clipper has fight-or-flight down pretty well, but the Dropship is going to be very sturdy in 1.5 without needing shields (so you can do stealth poo poo) and can dock anywhere. Plus it's higher on the mass-lock table.

e: also, and this is super important: no ship wears pirate paint better than it does.

Sard fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Dropship is gonna be my comedy Horizons planet landing ship because I have nothing else to spend my money on.

• Locked thread