Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Skoll posted:

Where does it say Pat is explosive resistant?

Data-mined spreadsheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Martout posted:

The datamined googledoc thing tells me he takes 0.6x explosive damage

Demo really is useless now. That was the one thing he was good for, killing Pat.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
In 8 months when we get Matriarch maybe he'll have his day... :gbsmith:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Skoll posted:

Demo really is useless now. That was the one thing he was good for, killing Pat.

He's okay pre-boss with the deagle now, and he can be a vital asset if you enjoy not blowing things up if you absolutely really have to and still having nearly no explosive ammo by the end of the wave anyways.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Martout posted:

In 8 months when we get Matriarch maybe he'll have his day... :gbsmith:

TWI hates the Demo so no.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
EA/beta is the perfect time to toy around with numbers, and it should be a vanishingly easy change to tweak damage up, recoil down, ammo cap up, etc. It's a massive waste of potential that they're not taking this time to try out different balance configurations and are just letting the meta stagnate itself to death. It's stupid that the best recommendation for a demo is "switch perk."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, demo's the weakest of the classes by a noticeable margin but even then you CAN make it work for regular waves, and it CAN be pretty satisfying to obliterate a pile of zeds with a rocket. Almost everything pre-boss works well enough if not balanced quite right (still grumpy about some ammo counts) ... it just goes right to poo poo immediately if Hans pops up on screen. I cannot overstate how much I think Hans is a completely loving awful experience right now.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 13, 2015

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Good lord Hans is a chore to fight. God help you if you manage to be the last man in a Hard+ fight with him, as you'll spend a good 15 minutes kiting him around stairwells looking for ammo boxes because you already emptied your inventory at halfway through the 3rd round.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah he seems pretty lovely. I was doing really well the last time I fought him but then I got pinned into a wall and he brought me from full health and armor to dead. Not fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when did they add tf2 hats to this game

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
Joked with a friend that the small patch the day the free weekend started was to remove the boss rotation and go back to Hans every game.

Ten games later, haven't seen the patriarch once. :suicide:

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

voltcatfish posted:

I was just in a game with a Berserker who kited Hans for 45 minutes straight on Hard as the only one alive, taking occasional potshots at him with the Pulverizer. He won.

haha i was on hard and was the last one alive after habns was on his second stage.
I killed myself.
It wasnt worth it

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully server options will allow you to select only Patriarch as a boss.

Seriously, gently caress Hans.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thejacob posted:

Joked with a friend that the small patch the day the free weekend started was to remove the boss rotation and go back to Hans every game.

Ten games later, haven't seen the patriarch once. :suicide:

I haven't seen the pat since the patch dropped.

I'm starting to believe he isn't real.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

voltcatfish posted:

I was just in a game with a Berserker who kited Hans for 45 minutes straight on Hard as the only one alive, taking occasional potshots at him with the Pulverizer. He won.
What an entirely pointless waste of everyone's time. I can't believe you stuck around for that.

Elysiume posted:

EA/beta is the perfect time to toy around with numbers, and it should be a vanishingly easy change to tweak damage up, recoil down, ammo cap up, etc. It's a massive waste of potential that they're not taking this time to try out different balance configurations and are just letting the meta stagnate itself to death. It's stupid that the best recommendation for a demo is "switch perk."
This is genuinely irritating to me, and so far their only defense has been "yeah we're totally doing that internally, and only letting out the perfectly 100% tested and confirmed best stuff every few months"

which is either hard to believe or kinda depressing at this point

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 13, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yes because a team of ~40 is going to produce the meaningful numbers you need to tweak the balance for your game :rolleyes:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i must be the only person in the world who doesn't have issues with ammo as demo

ya loving shoot too much demo is about oppurtunity if it doesnt show pop a loving 9mm

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This is genuinely irritating to me, and so far their only defense has been "yeah we're totally doing that internally, and only letting out the perfectly 100% tested and confirmed best stuff every few months"

It's also hosed up because developers are almost always bad at their own games (the TWI guy even made a joke about it on the AW stream) and so we have a group of Bad Players acting as the gateway for all ideas to make it out to the playerbase at large. This presents something of an issue with regards to balancing. It's also somewhat contradictory of this game's own mission statement or whatever for EA.

on the other hand we fought Pat tonight (he exists!) and it was fun as hell. A+ would put one in the pipe again every night. If there's a mod or way to remove Hans from the game post that poo poo, I want it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Yeah this happens way too often.

quote:

ya loving shoot too much demo is about oppurtunity if it doesnt show pop a loving 9mm

"I picked demo so I could shoot a pistol at people," said no one ever. Except the devs apparently.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah this happens way too often.

"I picked demo so I could shoot a pistol at people," said no one ever. Except the devs apparently.

if there isnt a good time to bomb some cats then shoot them with the 9

the demo pistol kill gores in 2 hits if you see one wait for a second position youself you your AOE to help the team mates killing trash

later waves just loving hide near the berserker and bomb the poo poo outta anything big

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Psion posted:

It's also hosed up because developers are almost always bad at their own games (the TWI guy even made a joke about it on the AW stream) and so we have a group of Bad Players acting as the gateway for all ideas to make it out to the playerbase at large. This presents something of an issue with regards to balancing. It's also somewhat contradictory of this game's own mission statement or whatever for EA.

on the other hand we fought Pat tonight (he exists!) and it was fun as hell. A+ would put one in the pipe again every night. If there's a mod or way to remove Hans from the game post that poo poo, I want it.

This is why I feel that they balance for normal and hard, you won't notice the medic nerf much on those difficulties but on sui and hoe is a big problem.

They should have like a PTR where they push stuff out to test it, just tweak values here and there till they hit the sweet spot.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

verbal enema posted:

i must be the only person in the world who doesn't have issues with ammo as demo

The RPG ammo is fine and I suppose C4 is too since you get an extra one every 5 level, those two are comparable or better than their KF1 counterparts (LAW and pipe bombs) but the M79 and grenade pistol need more ammo. I mean, personally I think the grenade pistol is okay when you get On-perk and just use melee bash which saves tons of ammo and decapitates all trash but we can't be calling it good when you're using it as a club and have to be level 20.

Also there's the fact that unless you hit certain enemies (gorefasts) just right they shrug it off and keep coming. Now that Gunslinger has dropped I will unashamedly say I go .500 as my backup with Demo, D.Eagle if I'm skint.

voltcatfish posted:

What madness compelled you to stay and watch the whole thing? :stare:

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 13, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Elysiume posted:

Well you see, this is a hard thing to do because...

verbal enema posted:

I think Demo is fine with regard to ammo. Skip the grenade launcher, use C4 like grenades, shoot RPGs at groups of enemies. Demo just needs a class-specific weapon that clears trash on a one-by-one basis.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Demo should get it's M4 M203 back, which would allow it to take on single zeds in an ammo efficient manner.

Support should get an M4 Masterkey, cause why the gently caress not?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Demo should get a rechargeable ECD that causes zeds to explode after split second. Kind of like Acidic Compound except not complete poo poo.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

PantsBandit posted:

Yes because a team of ~40 is going to produce the meaningful numbers you need to tweak the balance for your game :rolleyes:

Sure would be nice if they had a large amount of playtesters that they could push updates to while the game is in beta.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
What's overall consensus on buying this game currently? I'm playing the free weekend and having quite a bit of fun. Has development been overall going well and potentially worth the $20 to get it right now?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Onion Rings posted:

What's overall consensus on buying this game currently? I'm playing the free weekend and having quite a bit of fun. Has development been overall going well and potentially worth the $20 to get it right now?

Development has been slow but steady, and the developer isn't going anywhere. They're definitely not on track for a release any earlier than six months down the line though, so if that bugs you, wait for it to be released. Otherwise, there's a fair bit of content there already, although you have to put up with the inevitable beta "here's some sweeping balance changes" stuff.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Development has been slow but steady, and the developer isn't going anywhere. They're definitely not on track for a release any earlier than six months down the line though, so if that bugs you, wait for it to be released. Otherwise, there's a fair bit of content there already, although you have to put up with the inevitable beta "here's some sweeping balance changes" stuff.

That's reasonable enough. Anyone out there have a leftover copy from a 6 pack to sell?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Onion Rings posted:

That's reasonable enough. Anyone out there have a leftover copy from a 6 pack to sell?

It's on sale for $20 bucks right now.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Onion Rings posted:

It's cool and good and fun, frantic chaos, and most of the voiced frustration is coming from the fact that the fantastic parts of the game (gunslinger, patriarch) show that the flawed parts of it (balancing overnerfs, Hans) could be much better.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I haven't played since before they added Manor and I might be really rusty but did this game just swing up in difficulty? I remember having a much easier time on hard. Not that I've played much but I'm getting wiped out much more easily than I remember.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

About buying: the parts that are good are really good. The parts that are bad are really bad. I'd say wait but if you played the weekend and still had a ton of fun, go for it. Otherwise wait for the next sale.

averox posted:

I haven't played since before they added Manor and I might be really rusty but did this game just swing up in difficulty? I remember having a much easier time on hard. Not that I've played much but I'm getting wiped out much more easily than I remember.

Depends, are you talking normal zed waves or bosses? I'm sure part of it is that you're out of practice either way.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 13, 2015

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

averox posted:

Yeah they've changed some the enemies and Hans. Off the top of my head they added any Zeds left once you whittle them down to 5 in a wave instantly enrage and chase you relentlessly, took out the circlestrafing cheese with Hans and Scrakes, Husks now suicide detonate faster, changed the parry system so weapons have a "parry strength" that must be equal to or greater than the Zed's so you can't parry FPs and Hans in place with a pocket knife anymore as well as the heavies having unparryable attacks when their weapons glow orange (IIRC they CAN still be parried and the damage negated but the enemy just won't stumble), weakened Hans' gas and guns but buffed his melee, then gave him an AOE gas attack when too many people surround him, and given Zeds certain weak/resistant areas on their bodies.

There's other changes too with the classes and weapons, like Commando having less ammo with his weapons and the Medic's healing if you have armor repair as well as the armor repair both being reduced, but it's not ALL enemy buffs and player nerfs, just mostly.

Plus if you just started playing again like this weekend there's also the free weekend issue so you might be playing with other people who don't know what they're doing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Plus if you just started playing again like this weekend there's also the free weekend issue so you might be playing with other people who don't know what they're doing.

This is probably it. Hard isn't usually very... hard, but last night I wiped almost all of the games I played with my lv5-6 GS. Buncha free weekend noobs who don't know the game/classes yet. I am getting more comfortable with the GS weapons though, I've found that with even a single .500 I can just steadily plink at things' heads and not run into ammo issues too much, and just keep a pair of deagles on hand whenever something gets too close to me.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Onion Rings posted:

It's an early access beta that the developers are seemingly afraid to actually use to test anything. As a result, some parts of the game are tuned really poorly. You'll run into a lot of complaints with Hans in particular, and once you see just how much better the Patriarch is, you'll probably agree with them. Their balance philosophy seems to be making everything equally terrible, instead of making each perk fun and functional. Larger zeds are made "difficult" by being bullet sponges. Ways to disable them or deal with them strategically have been getting stripped away with each new patch.

Oh, and patches always take several months. Even when it comes to balance issues that developers are acutely aware of and have publicly acknowledged, you will not see a fix for it until the next content update. Meanwhile, programmer time that could be spent implementing and testing changes that don't require new assets is being spent on developing a Playstation 4 port, working closely with Nvidia to improve visual effects for one brand of video card exclusively, and implementing a microtransaction system.

If you are mentally prepared to accept the game exactly as it is now and have some friends you can play with, the game is capable of being fun. But I wouldn't recommend it without a sale price attached to it, probably a steeper one than we have now. As additional food for thought, look at the monthly player history for the game on Steamcharts and consider the fact that this game has more negative reviews than it has active players. Look at the achievement history for it on steam and consider the fact that the bulk of the playerbase that bought it during the initial release couldn't be bothered to come back, even with content updates.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I will probably get GS to level 25 before any other class simply from buying the Desert Eagle or .500 for other classes as sidearms.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

OneDeadlyBum posted:

As additional food for thought, look at the monthly player history for the game on Steamcharts and consider the fact that this game has more negative reviews than it has active players.

I just did this and was kind of surprised to see that even on a free weekend, the numbers aren't particularly great. As a point of reference, Payday 2 is almost doubling KF2's numbers right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I went ahead and bought it because I need a new game where I can shoot lots of dudes with my buddies. For a while it was Payday 2 but for as many issues as KF2 has, PD2 has an order of magnitude more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I just did this and was kind of surprised to see that even on a free weekend, the numbers aren't particularly great. As a point of reference, Payday 2 is almost doubling KF2's numbers right now.
I think it's pretty good considering that Payday 2 is a mature game that just had a major content patch, and KF2 isn't released yet.