Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Whats the best class, storyline wise, to go through the expansions with? Obviously you want to do all 8 through chapter 3, and I guess the epilogue, but since everything else is the same for all classes, which seems to fit the best?

For me the obvious Republic choice was Consular. Imp was harder; I was sorely tempted by Inquisitor and Agent but in the end, dark side Warrior seemed best.

Dely Apple posted:

Dreadseed armor is only gathered by completing the 4+ quests and doing seeker droid stuff, so I know you're dead inside.

You're wrong.

Long after I got multiple complete sets of Dreadseed and Star Forager, I kept digging until I completed all the seeker droid achievements. That's how you know I'm dead inside.

shadok fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So, anyone know if KOTFE broke pre-KOFTE romances, or if it's the Courting gifts themselves that are broken now? Either way I hate it, I'm sitting on a big stack of them that I can't sell because nobody wants them, and don't want to use because companions that definitely should "love" them only "like" them now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crindee posted:

So, anyone know if KOTFE broke pre-KOFTE romances, or if it's the Courting gifts themselves that are broken now? Either way I hate it, I'm sitting on a big stack of them that I can't sell because nobody wants them, and don't want to use because companions that definitely should "love" them only "like" them now.

They're broken. Eventually they'll fix them, so just hold onto them. I think Theron actually still loves them if you're romancing him, but that's it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

They're broken. Eventually they'll fix them, so just hold onto them. I think Theron actually still loves them if you're romancing him, but that's it.

Wait, how are romances broken? Does this mean I can't marry Mako?

Cyrelio
Mar 28, 2015

Verranicus posted:

Wait, how are romances broken? Does this mean I can't marry Mako?

Just courting gifts are broken at the moment. They don't give the proper amount of affection for the appropriate companions. Proceed with romances per norm.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Due to a super lucky drop from alliance crates today (the legacy inquisitor hat with the creepy robot voice modulation) I've made another outfit for my Assassin. Tune in next time for the wacky adventures of the cyborg Sith Assassin and her droid sidekick HK-51!

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 13, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Cyrelio posted:

Just courting gifts are broken at the moment. They don't give the proper amount of affection for the appropriate companions. Proceed with romances per norm.

Courting gifts give a decent amount of influence for Nico Okarr if you've got him unlocked. It's not the thing he likes best but the influence gains aren't bad. I have one character who uses him as their main combat companion, and for now I just mail all my courting gifts to that guy.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Can you not transfer set piece armoring? I popped two pieces into Bind to Legacy gear, threw them in my Legacy Bank, but when I picked them up at the other end, the set piece elements were gone and I just had standard armoring. Bit disappointing that.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Moreau posted:

Can you not transfer set piece armoring? I popped two pieces into Bind to Legacy gear, threw them in my Legacy Bank, but when I picked them up at the other end, the set piece elements were gone and I just had standard armoring. Bit disappointing that.

Ah wait, I see - once I actually extracted them, the set piece elements reappeared. Fun little bug, that.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Courting gifts give a decent amount of influence for Nico Okarr if you've got him unlocked. It's not the thing he likes best but the influence gains aren't bad. I have one character who uses him as their main combat companion, and for now I just mail all my courting gifts to that guy.

Talos Drellik likes them also.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Cyrelio posted:

Supposedly in KotFE your existing romances are meant to be acknowledged by Valk, but for some people it doesn't and you don't get The Mail you should do saying they've given up/haven't given up/hate you/won the lottery, leading people to suspect the whole thing is broken, not just courting gifts. There's a rather long, whiny thread about it here.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So I recently started playing again and am currently busy with the Alliance thing. Currently taking down all Star Fortresses, got two left. In the mean time, also doing heroics to level all the different disciplines on the base.

I gotta ask tho': what sort of rewards will I get out of doing this? What happens if I destroy all Star Fortresses and level up all the ranks within the Alliance?

Finally, is it me or are additional things added to the base as you level them up? I would swear that I'm seeing more force users in the enclave than at first.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
At every 2 levels of an alliance asset you get a mission on your datapad in the unmarked commander quarters that gives you some crystals for gear. As you destroy the Star Fortresses you also get additional companions available, as well as titles and poo poo if you care about that sort of thing.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Doing all the star fortress achievements gets you some pretty sweet decorations, if you're interested in that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Casyl posted:

Doing all the star fortress achievements gets you some pretty sweet decorations, if you're interested in that.

Yeah the problem with those is that one of them (The Sun Reactor) looks awesome, but only fits on a starship hook. :(

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I kinda wish they'd stop putting stuff on starship hooks altogether. Two of the 5 strongholds don't even have a starship hook, and the ones that do, it pretty much only makes sense to put a starship on it. It really burns me that the wrecked ATV decoration requires a starship hook when it's not even as big as the average centerpiece item. And I'm still upset that there's a sandcrawler decoration that you can't actually place on sand. I passed up an opportunity to buy one very cheap just because, what's even the point?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I kinda wish they'd stop putting stuff on starship hooks altogether. Two of the 5 strongholds don't even have a starship hook, and the ones that do, it pretty much only makes sense to put a starship on it. It really burns me that the wrecked ATV decoration requires a starship hook when it's not even as big as the average centerpiece item. And I'm still upset that there's a sandcrawler decoration that you can't actually place on sand. I passed up an opportunity to buy one very cheap just because, what's even the point?

meh the whole hook system itself is :effort:.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The hooks could really use a nice review. There's plenty of things that would fit on smaller hooks, while they're making new stuff like the gigantic Zakuul tech panel thing that fits medium narrow.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The reactor kind of fits in Nar Shadaa.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Yeah literally the only hook the Sandcrawler works on is the one in the back of Tatooine. I remember seeing someone post a picture of it on the Nar Shaddaa hook and saying "Don't know how they got it there, but I guess it's gonna stay there"

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah literally the only hook the Sandcrawler works on is the one in the back of Tatooine. I remember seeing someone post a picture of it on the Nar Shaddaa hook and saying "Don't know how they got it there, but I guess it's gonna stay there"

Same way I got that temple holocron thing in that small room on Yavin. Piece by piece and it's gonna be the next tenant's problem when I move out.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I've just finished the Consular story as light side, and it was quite good. Also, I kept track of the things I did to level. Doing only one flashpoint, one extra quest on the starter planet, all the class and planet quests, less than half of the companion conversations, always logging out in rest zones, and using only the XP boosts provided by the quests, I finished at level 56. This was one of the most painless leveling experiences I've ever had in any MMO. I died exactly once in combat, when fighting the First Son, and I didn't bother to interrupt the cavern collapse :blush: .

Now all that's left is to decide between Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter for my next story.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luminous Cow posted:

Now all that's left is to decide between Sith Warrior or Bounty Hunter for my next story.

Warrior's story is much better than the BH story, which kind of fizzles after Chapter 1 imo.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

shadok posted:

Warrior's story is much better than the BH story, which kind of fizzles after Chapter 1 imo.

Yeah, I just finished the BH story and it was pretty weak. I think they couldn't figure out a good way to keep the BH "loyal". I kept thinking if I'm such a thorn in the Republic's side, why wouldn't they just outbid the Empire?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I liked Bounty Hunter a lot as long as she could be played as essentially an unaffiliated third party, but once you're forced down the path of Empire loyalist it wasn't that interesting anymore.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Oh well that's kind of disheartening to hear. I was hoping being a dark side BH would let me give the middle finger to the Emperor or something by murdering everyone instead of capturing alive for intel. Oh well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can do that but you're still a stooge.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think the Bounty Hunter story is unique in how neutral it is. It never exactly railroads you into picking a side in the war; the Empire are just another client. You get a lot of opportunities to deny outright that you are "Imperial," and you can actively work against them in a lot of cases (the light side ending being the most extreme example) if you feel like it's the right move. You can attribute a lot of motivations to the character - honor, glory, money, survival, revenge - but "patriotism" is way down on the list if it's there at all. One of your main enemies is a Jedi, sure, but you also get to kill at least one Sith Lord. There's a side story where you work with the SIS. It gives you a pretty decent sense of autonomy by the end of it. To me, that was the thing that made the story interesting. It has kind of a Firefly vibe because it's just you and your pals against the universe. Your stake in the conflict is personal, not political.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's been a while since I played the BH story but iirc they solve the "bounty hunter is an 'imperial' class even though he's neutral" problem by having an event in the middle where you're public enemy #1 of the republic, thus sort of forcing you to be a de facto imperial for the sake of survival, don't they?

I don't remember what it is, so I couldn't spoil it if I wanted to, but that's my recollection of it.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Edit: This came out a little more spilery than I wanted it to, so I'll spoiler tag it.

You end up public enemy #1 of the Republic because your enemies deliberately pit the Republic against you for their own personal reasons. It's not that you actually have beef with the Republic, they essentially get duped into hunting you, and you know it. The Empire put you in that position and then disavowed you. Neither of them comes out looking good.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 14, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You end up public enemy #1 of the Republic because your enemies deliberately pit the Republic against you for their own personal reasons. It's not that you actually have beef with the Republic, they essentially get duped into hunting you, and you know it. The Empire put you in that position and then disavowed you. Neither of them comes out looking good.

Regardless of whether you actually did it though, isn't it the thing that makes you throw up your hands and say "well I guess I'm an imperial now"?

For some reason I forget pretty much everything about the BH story outside of chapter 1, and the very end of chapter 3, probably because it's very forgettable

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 14, 2015

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Think I'll go with Juggernaut simply because they're not ranged. Kinda tired of hanging back and sending in a tank companion. I want to jump in and smash heads. Think I'll level as Immortal because I'm slightly masochistic and because I intend to take this guy to 65 and tank ops. Which should be fun, considering how little tank experience I have.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Regardless of whether you actually did it though, isn't it the thing that makes you throw up your hands and say "well I guess I'm an imperial now"?

For some reason I forget pretty much everything about the BH story outside of chapter 1, and the very end of chapter 3, probably because it's very forgettable

The initial setup for the BH being Imperial is that the Great Hunt is organized and run by the Mandalorians, who are currently allies of the Empire and you have to go to Dromund Kaas to continue the competition.

As early as Nar Shaddaa, there's a sidequest where the SIS has ordered a hit on you. You can protest that you're not an Imperial, but the NPC says you've earned a reputation already as an Imperial mercenary and that reputation precedes you.

There's no reason, in theory, why the Republic can't hire the Hunter, but the story does make it pretty clear that you're seen throughout the galaxy as very Imperial-friendly. It's the whole point of the Hunter's quest on Rishi, addressing how at least in the eyes of the galactic underworld you've traded up being a common bounty hunter for a cushy retainer job as a paid enforcer for the Dark Council.

You can say you're happy being an Imperial retainer (Mako actually approves of this), or reaffirm your neutrality, but either way you've pissed off the Republic enough that they're highly unlikely to offer you a job.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
We're currently sitting at 6/8 for HM Explosive Conflict. If you forgot to log in, now's the time.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is the server down or something? I locked up creating a BH now I can't get back in.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I did my BH as neutral "gently caress you, pay me" and killed high ranking people and let scrubs go basically.

I thought it worked out pretty decently story-wise because every conversation has a "gently caress you, pay me" option to it and you just go along with the flow.

The disappointing thing is that all these huge quests basically give you 5,000 credits or less and it's like no wait I've done enough for the Empire that I should be a multi-millionaire and poo poo but nooooooo

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do recommend spoiler tagging the post you quoted, I don't want to lay out too many plot points for people who haven't played it...

More spoilers:
Basically, like Cythereal said, the story starts you out in Imperial space, but not necessarily affiliated. You eventually get a job offer to kill a Jedi, which is basically a political assassination, but the Empire wants to keep up a facade of adhering to the treaty, so they don't claim responsibility. This gives a pissed-off friend of said Jedi an opening to paint you as a lone psychotic murderer, and they launch a smear campaign that pits the Republic against you. You're basically forced to stick close to the Empire for your own protection until all that gets ironed out. They continue to give you paying work, while the Republic continues to hunt you. This explains why you're working for their side, but you're more or less forced into that role by your circumstances. They're exploiting you, and they do nothing to hide it. You can spend the entire time hating the Empire for putting you in that lovely position, and the story still makes total sense. At the end of it you have a chance to resolve things peacefully with the Republic, clear your name, and put a blaster bolt in the eye of the Sith rear end in a top hat who's been bullying you into fighting his war. The Empire don't exactly come out of it looking like the good guys, but it's basically your choice whether to support them after going through all that crap. And if you do, then you get to be their champion on Makeb I guess. The rest of the story takes pains to be faction-neutral.

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 14, 2015

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I forget the exact quote, but the BH says something to Marr along the lines of "if I killed as many Jedi as the empire has paid me to kill sith, this war would be over already".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

Is the server down or something? I locked up creating a BH now I can't get back in.

JC is down, yeah.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luminous Cow posted:

Oh well that's kind of disheartening to hear. I was hoping being a dark side BH would let me give the middle finger to the Emperor or something by murdering everyone instead of capturing alive for intel. Oh well.

The Bounty Hunter's prologue and Chapter 1 are still worth doing. I liked the Great Hunt part of the story.

I have similar problems with the Smuggler's storyline. The prologue is absolutely perfect and Chapter 1 isn't bad but 2 and 3 are kind of meh.

Agent, Inquisitor, Warrior, Consular and even the Knight have so much better stories (I know a lot of people are not fond of the Knight's storyline but I'm willing to forgive a lot over its wonderful, "holy poo poo" twist in Chapter 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

JC is down, yeah.

Well poo poo.

• Locked thread