Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
there's a ton of proco rats made but the older the better imo. they also cut out most of your low end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dyna Soar posted:

there's a ton of proco rats made but the older the better imo. they also cut out most of your low end.

There's hate around for the new models because the whatever factory in China makes them right now uses poo poo grade components so be wary of that too. Pots shafts literally just saying ehhh gently caress this I'm out under normal use, caps blowing, that sort of thing.

On the plus side since it's so old there's a ton of well documented mods to tweak it out there if you're decent with a soldering iron.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you want the best RAT pedal you can buy and want 100% awesome consistent quality look up the Fuzzrocious Rat Tail/Rat King. He makes the best "clones" I've seen and personally I think they sound much better than the current line.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I forgot to mention that since it's so old there's also a bunch of clones with good build quality. There's a price premium but hey, the pedal not physically breaking is probably worth a premium.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Shugojin posted:

On the plus side since it's so old there's a ton of well documented mods to tweak it out there if you're decent with a soldering iron.

yeah, mines modded so that there's a switch that lets you let all the bass through that it normally cuts out. i use it since i play in C so a regular rat would make me sound like a lovely guitar.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I've heard that the IdiotBox Blower Box is supposed to be a really good RAT style pedal.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

JHVH-1 posted:

You know what that make sense. I guess what people were saying is its a bass boost vs having actual active pickups. (Its been a busy work week and my brain isn't working too good).

This is the one I have http://www.fender.com/squier/basses/jaguar/vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special/0328900500.html

The weird thing is they don't include a manual, and they don't have one online. As long as the battery lasts a pretty good amount of time, I probably will just not worry about it. The thing was $200 and I was surprised it even had any electronics in it. I picked it up and loved the way it felt and liked the sound of it. I already made up my mind pretty much at the store before I looked at the back and noticed the battery compartment. It has a knob to control the bass boost instead of a switch. I don't know if turning it down would use less power... I have no idea what the electronics look like inside. Maybe I should take off the control plate sometime just to learn more about it.

The biggest consideration is going to be, make sure you unplug the bass when you aren't using it. I have this guy and the least amount of battery life it's given me was like two years.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ok guys, I finally lost my temper with my p-bass and cut everything out, wiring the pickup straight to the jack with a toggle switch to kill the sound. Is there someone that sells completed looms or wired pickguards that are roughly the same quality as the Squier CV stuff? I am fully aware it's not a big problem to wire one yourself, but I have done so about four times, a friendly guitar tech has done it twice and there is just some crazy voodoo going on with those components/guard. I was thinking about the DiMarzio loaded guard but $100 or whatever seems REAAAL pricey.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Southern Heel posted:

Ok guys, I finally lost my temper with my p-bass and cut everything out, wiring the pickup straight to the jack with a toggle switch to kill the sound. Is there someone that sells completed looms or wired pickguards that are roughly the same quality as the Squier CV stuff? I am fully aware it's not a big problem to wire one yourself, but I have done so about four times, a friendly guitar tech has done it twice and there is just some crazy voodoo going on with those components/guard. I was thinking about the DiMarzio loaded guard but $100 or whatever seems REAAAL pricey.

Yup: http://www.bestbassgear.com/bass-passive-harness.htm

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy

Kvlt! posted:

Which one do you use? The website has a bunch of them.

The basic three knobber, the 2 mayhaps? I buy everything used so I'll probably never know what year exactly, I haven't found a wiring schematic that matches exactly.
Like everyone else is saying though, there is some bass tone loss (imo not too terribly) I really wouldn't run it alone or unmodded.

The Sansamp Bass DI is probably the best and most reliable option. They sound great and have great functionality. Most everyone I've talked to has told me it's a must have for any bass setup.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I was looking at a Hofner Ignition bass just for recording some bass lines. Through mutual friends, I was offered a brand new Hofner Contemporary Violin bass with LaBella flatwounds for $750 shipped.

I am not a bass player, but I played the ignition bass and it felt so cool. Very 'easy' compared to the fullsize nutso necks that I played when I was just learning guitar.

How dumb am I if I go for the 'upgraded' contemporary at 750 (MF has it for 859)?

Or should I just stick with the Ignition crap one since I don't play a ton of bass anyway?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
See for what they go on talkbass or ebay. If it's around what you're paying, you'll just be abled to sell it if you feel like it later. I'd def get the better one if you have the extra cash and if it has a good resale value.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

How dumb am I if I go for the 'upgraded' contemporary at 750 (MF has it for 859)?

Captain Apollo posted:

Or should I just stick with the Ignition crap one since I don't play a ton of bass anyway?

It would be worth the investment provided you were planning to do more with bass. For instance, in live applications; the Contemporary has a center block, while the Ignition is a full hollow body. So, you would have some amplification problems at high volumes, if you were using the Ignition because of that.
The Contemporary also has German electronics, which would probably be a little more reliable as time goes by, which is nice when you're working with a hollow instrument (repair is a drag).

$750 isn't that much of a price for a used Contemporary, though. That's about 3/4 of list price, and you can pick a new model for about $100 more. But, yeah, if the money is right and the resell value for the Ignition is good, then why not upgrade? It's nice to have nice things.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Actually, the 750 is for a brand new one. I have a "hookup."

I think I'm going to get the contemporary!
I was in a near life ending accident today after posting the thread and drat the expense, I'm going to be happy while I'm here!

Don't tell my wife.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Captain Apollo posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you're getting that price for a new one, you don't have to use quotation marks around the word «hookup».

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Apollo posted:

I think I'm going to get the contemporary!
I was in a near life ending accident today after posting the thread and drat the expense, I'm going to be happy while I'm here!

Don't tell my wife.

Sounds like another near life-ending event is on the way... Glad you're safe though and good luck with the wife! Easier to ask forgiveness than permission in my experience :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Found some in the UK for about 35 gbp which seeks outrageous but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. Or do it myself, again.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
FYI - Guitar Center is having 20% off right now on 'selected products' but it's quite a big list.

I think I decided to get the cheapy Hofner for 275 after the 20% discount, and get a little cheap bass amp. That way I can have a whole kit for under 500 bucks.

I saw the recommendation for the Roland Micro Cube in the OP but I haven't seen any in person. The guitar salesman was pointing me towards the Fender 'Rumble' saying they were selling like hotcakes. But, another guy came over and said to go for the Ampeg for a cool $99.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 11, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
When I was buying mine I just plugged the bass I was buying into all of them to get an idea of the sound. There were a few fender and the like that just sounded like crap. It was $20 more for the hartke hd15 and it sounded great in comparison so I went with that.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 11, 2015

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

FYI - Guitar Center is having 20% off right now on 'selected products' but it's quite a big list.
Musician's Friend has 20% as well that applies to a few more brands. And now I have a Ric on order for early next year :3:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

Musician's Friend has 20% as well that applies to a few more brands. And now I have a Ric on order for early next year :3:

Nice. I'd just been thinking about how I might need more headroom than my current amp provides, then I was reading about the Peavey MiniMegas finally getting released and then I got the MF email and here we are (or will be in a month or so when they're off of backorder).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm so happy to have found this thread. I've been thinking about buying a bass for a while now and I just took the plunge.

I looked around quite a bit and bought a new Ibanez SR300 from Sweetwater for $228 which looks to be a pretty good price. Can't wait to start plucking!

Agent York Morgan
Apr 28, 2013
Do you guys have a recommendation for a bag for my bass? I have a Ibanez ATK800, it came with a case but it has two downsides. While I maybe could hold it while I'm riding my bike, it would be a miserable experience. The second thing, while minor, is that it has "Ibanez Premium" written on the side in big letters. I think it's a little pretentious and I don't want to give any attention to the fact it has something "premium" in it. I know it still could be stolen of course with a bag or without the text, but it doesn't feel right for some reason.

I looked at the Mono M80, and their flightbag, I have a strap from them and I like it, but those are too expensive for me. It would also be cool if it could hold some cables and my effect pedal.

Agent York Morgan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 13, 2015

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Agent York Morgan posted:

Do you guys have a recommendation for a bag for my bass? I have a Ibanez ATK800, it came with a case but it has two downsides. While I maybe could hold it while I'm riding my bike, it would be a miserable experience. The second thing, while minor, is that it has "Ibanez Premium" written on the side in big letters. I think it's a little pretentious and I don't want to give any attention to the fact it has something "premium" in it. I know it still could be stolen of course with a bag or without the text, but it doesn't feel right for some reason.

I looked at the Mono M80, and their flightbag, I have a strap from them and I like it, but those are too expensive for me. It would also be cool if it could hold some cables and my effect pedal.

I have this Guardian bag. It's decently padded, has back straps, and some decently big pouches. It's not the best gig bag I've encountered but that honor goes to a thing G&L has stopped making. :rip:

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I've been happy enough with the Road Runner Roadster Bass Gig Bag that all the guitar centers up here seem to carry.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I've been thinking about buying a bass for a while now and I just took the plunge.

I looked around quite a bit and bought a new Ibanez SR300 from Sweetwater for $228 which looks to be a pretty good price. Can't wait to start plucking!

SR300 was my first bass and I enjoyed it greatly. It's very light and it's got quite an aggressive sound, definitely good for playing. I'm even thinking about picking up an SR305 fretless actually, even though I barely play bass anymore...

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

SR300 was my first bass and I enjoyed it greatly. It's very light and it's got quite an aggressive sound, definitely good for playing. I'm even thinking about picking up an SR305 fretless actually, even though I barely play bass anymore...

Seconding this. They are ridiculously light, one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played.
Now that I have the Geddy Lee Signature I'm thinking about putting flats or tapes on the SR300 or would they be better suited to the geddy? I have Marcus Miller's on the Ibanez now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Putting flats on your Geddy is legal. It's not against Bass Law. So feel free to do it.

But, just remember, putting flats on your Geddy bass is a little like rebuilding a 64 1/2 Mustang to show off around the neighborhood and at local car shows, and then dropping in a bone-stock 2008 Ford Focus I-4 engine. Yes, you can do it. And technically, it'll be OK. But... come on.

Seriously, though--tapewounds are what I have on my old SR505FL. This is a 20-year-old Soundgear, BTW, not one of the newer ones. Those tapewounds have been on there for years, and it's got a great fretless, almost acoustic, thump. I wouldn't put them on an instrument with such a strong and prominent upper-mid-range and high range sound, though, because they're wasted on such an instrument.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I signed up for Scott's Bass Lessons academy during their sale for black Friday weekend. Pretty happy with it so far. Haven't gotten real serious about practice and keeping a log yet since I have been busy with work. Though having the live Q&A sessions, the video courses all numbered with matching download materials all right there, and a whole community behind it is pretty awesome.

I wanted to find a local teacher that was more a session bass guy than just someone who teaches kids bass/guitar/piano but haven't found a good one in my area.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

does anyone know any good exercises for building up finger strength in the fretting hand? I'm trying to play a thing that requires me to play two notes at once and my ring finger keeps letting me down, I can't hold down the string well enough while my index finger is pressing down as well.

For reference I'm trying to play a B on the D string and a D on the G string

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

organburner posted:

does anyone know any good exercises for building up finger strength in the fretting hand? I'm trying to play a thing that requires me to play two notes at once and my ring finger keeps letting me down, I can't hold down the string well enough while my index finger is pressing down as well.

get a stress ball and squeeze it for 30 minutes per day per hand. i used to do it while i commuted. builds up most of your hand muscles

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

organburner posted:

So that's 9th fret on the D string and 7th on the G string. A minor third.

Building hand strength using the ball exercise will eventually do the trick. In the meantime, you can use your ring and pinkie fingers together on the troublesome note and you should be fine.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Putting flats on your Geddy is legal. It's not against Bass Law. So feel free to do it.

But, just remember, putting flats on your Geddy bass is a little like rebuilding a 64 1/2 Mustang to show off around the neighborhood and at local car shows, and then dropping in a bone-stock 2008 Ford Focus I-4 engine. Yes, you can do it. And technically, it'll be OK. But... come on.

Seriously, though--tapewounds are what I have on my old SR505FL. This is a 20-year-old Soundgear, BTW, not one of the newer ones. Those tapewounds have been on there for years, and it's got a great fretless, almost acoustic, thump. I wouldn't put them on an instrument with such a strong and prominent upper-mid-range and high range sound, though, because they're wasted on such an instrument.

Answered my question perfectly, thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

organburner posted:

You could try holding the shape but without applying any pressure, then alternate back and forth pressing down one finger at a time. You can practice moving it up the neck too. Disco practice

Once that gets easier try keeping one finger fretted while the other goes up and down, and once you build up the stamina for that you'll hopefully be able to start holding both at once

You could get a stress ball but honestly you could probably just press on your arm or leg at work or something. You just need to make sure your fingers are in the same position, so you get used to applying pressure downward while your hand is in a certain alignment. Also check your arm and hand while you're playing, if there's too much bending and tension you'll be making your life harder. See if your ring finger's getting enough support from your thumb too

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
So I took you guys' advice from a couple of weeks ago and tried a few Squier Jazz Basses and two P Basses and they felt alright but then the shop had one of these and I couldn't help myself.

For what it's worth, I love it already.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

spamman posted:

So I took you guys' advice from a couple of weeks ago and tried a few Squier Jazz Basses and two P Basses and they felt alright but then the shop had one of these and I couldn't help myself.

Nice! Now just learn to be John Entwistle and you're all set.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

'aight, thanks for the tips.

I got the stress ball so I'll use that during work and practice with the actual bass at home.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

spamman posted:

Honestly as long as you played a bunch and picked your favorite you didn't screw up :ssh:

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

organburner posted:

I was taught to spider walk, that's what my teacher called it. Start by playing the first four notes on your lowest string (closest to your face) one finger per fret and don't let up so at the end all four fingers are pressing down on the string, once you play those, move down to the next string, then reverse it completely meaning your pinkie goes first on whatever your last sting is. Once you've got that down the next step is to start the same way but shift your index finger down one fret each string change until you reach your last string then reverse it, like you're walking up and down stairs. Remember to move your starting position around so that you're not always starting in the same spot. Also don't over do it or you'll wreck your wrist even with proper position and make sure your action is comfortable I spent my first year playing with my action way to loving high because I couldn't afford a setup and didn't have the internet to teach me how to actually set up my bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Honestly as long as you played a bunch and picked your favorite you didn't screw up :ssh:

I still wish that exact bass was my favorite to play because it's sure as gently caress my favorite to look at.

Apart from maybe those old Rickenbackers.