Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
https://www.esentia.com is my local vendor for security camera stuff. Their bread and butter is GeoVision, but you might get lucky and get an answer for what is causing your streaming problem. I know they deal with a number of systems for local people.

GeoVision has come a long way from what it was 10 years ago. I have moved on to a different system for ease of management and access for our office staff. 5 years ago you still needed different codecs for different models and revisions on the capture cards. My understanding is that is no longer the case and remote access is much simpler now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Milestone works with pretty much every IP camera, and is reasonably priced.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

So, as a result of this lovely software I have been tasked with either making the existing software/DVR work or pricing another solution to replace these lovely DVRs. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about cameras/DVRs and their associated software (I'm a Windows/network admin). I've been given no budget, so that doesnt help. I've started looking at IP cams and some of the solutions that Ubiquiti offers since I'm familiar with their wifi APs, but since I dont know the first thing about this stuff, I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anybody offer up some recommendations or some advice about this stuff? We've currently got about 25 cameras and we definitely need to have recording capability.

Seriously call a few vendors in your area that deal with security and have them give you recommendations. You don't know anything about this kind of thing so bring in someone who does.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I am partial to Vivotek IP cameras. They provide a excellent piece of free Windows only DVR software called ST7501 (http://www.vivotek.com/st7501/) that is designed specifically for their cameras. Allows recording and live playback of up to 32 cameras on a single server. A cheap license key option allows for up 64 cameras and also the addition of any "ONVIF" compatible camera from any manufacturer.

We have about 160 of various Vivotek models in service across our few branch locations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I somehow got the software working on another PC, so I'll just stick with that. I have no clue what I did to make it work so let's hope this new PC lasts awhile.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. I somehow got the software working on another PC, so I'll just stick with that. I have no clue what I did to make it work so let's hope this new PC lasts awhile.

Cargo cult software is the best kind of software. No rules, no real reasons why it does or does not work. Simply perform the ceremony and perhaps the gods will bless you with a working machine too!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Scented candles and burning incense coupled with holy incantations often work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a ten-year-old piece of legacy software that I could only get to run in Windows XP mode in Windows 7 (compatibility mode didn't do it). I got in three new laptops, and every time I tried to install Windows XP Mode on them, they would hard crash, blue screen, the whole shebang. I spent a couple of hours futzing with them incessantly, finally one just started working for no apparent reason. Tried to figure out what the gently caress I had done with it that I hadn't done on the others. The only thing I could come up with was that I had gone into the BIOS and turned off all the multi-core and hardware acceleration support, restarted the laptop, loaded up Windows, then restarted, gone back into the BIOS, and turned it all back on again. Literally no change in the final state. Tried it with the next laptop... and it worked, too. Same with the third.

No idea what the gently caress Dell is doing with their poo poo, but it's some goddamn voodoo.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Crosspostin' this from another thread hoping to get it in front of some more eyes:

I have a conundrum: The software ("i-cens") that our security people use to view/access video streams from our security cameras is complete poo poo. The PC that it's currently running on is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced. I figured 'hey, I'll just install this crap on another PC and we'll be good to go'. Nope, the software will install, but when it connects to our lovely chinese dvrs (made by some company called Eyemax), the streams just show up as black squares. The streams are working perfectly fine when viewed through a browser, but that aint good enough for the security staff, they dont want to learn anything new and the browser window doesnt let them view enough cameras at once. The funny thing is, when using i-cens, you can look at past recordings and they show up perfectly normal, the problem only happens with the live streams. I've installed the software on 3 different PCs, all with the same result. I've contacted Eyemax and they pointed me to a fix (copy a provided .ini file to c:\windows, overwriting their existing one) but it doesnt fix poo poo.

So, as a result of this lovely software I have been tasked with either making the existing software/DVR work or pricing another solution to replace these lovely DVRs. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about cameras/DVRs and their associated software (I'm a Windows/network admin). I've been given no budget, so that doesnt help. I've started looking at IP cams and some of the solutions that Ubiquiti offers since I'm familiar with their wifi APs, but since I dont know the first thing about this stuff, I'm not really sure where to start.
Can anybody offer up some recommendations or some advice about this stuff? We've currently got about 25 cameras and we definitely need to have recording capability.

Could try disabling Aero. What kind of video card do they have in the working machine vs the new ones?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

frogbert posted:

Could try disabling Aero. What kind of video card do they have in the working machine vs the new ones?

Couldnt tell ya...that would require walking over to that machine and then having to listen to the user bitching about "wheres mah new screen??". On the 3 machines I tested, they were all initially using Intel video chipsets. I installed a random Geforce card into one of them on the off chance that the software just didnt like Intel chipsets, but the problem persisted. Tried 3 different driver versions on that one too.
Oh well, it's working now so I'm not gonna push my luck and mess with it.

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

stevewm posted:

Just a sampling of what I've ran into over the years.

-Taking 4 months to turn on services to a building that already had the cable in place. (Comcast)
-Creating multiple accounts for said location, still getting collection calls on that one... (Comcast)
-7 month wait for a cable to be strung from the road to the building for installation of new services (Comcast)
-Ordered 5 phone lines + DSL/static IP. They installed one phone line and dynamic DSL, sent bills for 2 separate accounts (AT&T)
-Ordered business dry loop DSL circuit, informed them said location has a 50 pair line with interior demarc, so a tech needs to come out and tag the active pair. Receive residential self install DSL kit in the mail, tech never appears on scheduled date (Frontier)
-Randomly disconnected dry loop DSL circuit one day because they "didn't think any customers where still on that circuit", took over a week to fix it. (Frontier)
-Worthless tech support; call reporting severe slowness issues with DSL at multiple store locations; get told the problem was my computer (Frontier)
-Phone lines + DSL randomly going in and out, tech dispatched multiple times and would never appear, would get phone call within hours that the problem was solved. Found out local tech was just marking the problem as resolved, without ever actually working on it. Took several days and working my way up the ladder to get that one resolved (Frontier)
-Fiber going to new branch suddenly cut one day... Local fiber provider did not bury cable during installation, left it rolled up and laying in the ditch. 2 months later state road workers mowing the roadside went right over the coil of cable now buried in the tall grass.
-Local DSL provider started switching businesses in town to VDSL. Required use of their modem that acted as a NAT router with DHCP enabled and a 192.168.1.x IP range, no bridge mode, and no customer access to the modem. You had a static IP, but it was terminated on the modem and therefore useless. Setting up port forwards to your own router, etc.. required contacting their technical support and waiting multiple days for them to do it. Being the only option in town, many businesses where understandably pissed. They saw no problem with this policy, that is until the local city council and county government got involved.

This sounds about right. Currently I'm waiting for TWT (Level 3) to finish a circuit turnup, and it's taking them weeks to get their project management poo poo together to have one contractor simply extend the ethernet handoff up a few floors to the customer suite from the main telco in an office building.

At this point I probably should've just brought in my own contractor to extend it up. Project management seems near non-existent for some of these guys. I'm east-coast - Cox over here tends to be pretty abysmal with their timelines and follow-through as well. We've taken to selling customers some 4G service using Cradlepoint MBR routers, since it always ends up taking the telcos forever to get their poo poo together.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I need a reality check.

Our small finance department uses SAGE Accounts 50, Sage drive or whatever the hosting package is running from the managers Laptop. I want to install Sage and the data service on a server VM and migrate the company data to it, and have everyone connect to it as clients and do whatever is it they do.

No matter what I've said she won't budge about migrating off the laptop, every time she wants to upload data she takes it offline then feeds it data which locks out all other users until they re-establish a connection and re-sync their copy of the data. Now I don't know much about Sage, but a server host is the sensible thing to do right? No amount of telling her she's pissing off her staff and having the company data on a laptop without proper backup is extremely vulnerable to being lost (this is a person who had to be system restored maybe five times this year), yes the data gets backed up to "The Cloud" with the cloud being your loving laptop.

"Well what happens if it breaks and I lose connection and can't get back in?"
You have a VPN connection if you don't have Wi-Fi nearby that's your problem, and even if something did break like you'd be able to do anything about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As far as I know the smaller Sage applications used to just run out of a file share and the clients worked out a way amongst themselves of not corrupting things. This might have changed lately, I try to avoid Sage wherever possible.

Could you move them onto Sage Live if they have to stick with Sage, and Xero if they don't?

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Super Slash posted:

I need a reality check.

Our small finance department uses SAGE Accounts 50, Sage drive or whatever the hosting package is running from the managers Laptop. I want to install Sage and the data service on a server VM and migrate the company data to it, and have everyone connect to it as clients and do whatever is it they do.

No matter what I've said she won't budge about migrating off the laptop, every time she wants to upload data she takes it offline then feeds it data which locks out all other users until they re-establish a connection and re-sync their copy of the data. Now I don't know much about Sage, but a server host is the sensible thing to do right? No amount of telling her she's pissing off her staff and having the company data on a laptop without proper backup is extremely vulnerable to being lost (this is a person who had to be system restored maybe five times this year), yes the data gets backed up to "The Cloud" with the cloud being your loving laptop.

You have a VPN connection if you don't have Wi-Fi nearby that's your problem, and even if something did break like you'd be able to do anything about it.

Next time her laptop has an issue tell her all her data is gone and you're going to have to restore from backup.

You can go over her head, I'm sure the owner would mind if that laptop got left on a bus.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

frogbert posted:

Next time her laptop has an issue tell her all her data is gone and you're going to have to restore from backup.

You can go over her head, I'm sure the owner would mind if that laptop got left on a bus.

Have a "panic" meeting about exactly that next time. Invite anyone that can make a decision explain what is lost. Then say, this is exactly what could happen if we keep doing this we need to have this data moved.

That or you ignore it and let the above happen and get fired for knowing about a risk without informing people. I know you did inform her, but she's going to deny it and someone else is going to say they should have known too. Really that situation is unacceptable. When they say "It's backed up to the cloud" say dropbox cloud (or whatever she's using) isn't secure and there is no way to guaranty and test the backup without is being on a server. Just because something claims it is backed up doesn't mean it is. If you are doing at the very least a quarterly backup check of all critical systems you are going to get burned. Minor things can be done on an annual basis if you need to.

Yes it's a huge pain in the rear end to restore to a test system, especially in a small shop where you might not have the space, or resources, but find some way to get it. Budget it as part of the backup. Say the backup system is out of space whatever you need to. If they are smart enough to know you are telling a partial lie (a restore point is part of your backup system) then they should be able to tell that you do need to test your backups. In a small shop there's obviously cases of "previous guy bought that 1-3 years ago gently caress off" but that's part of the small shop.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

pixaal posted:

That or you ignore it and let the above happen and get fired for knowing about a risk without informing people.

Just to be clear, this guy is being glib. Please walk the middleground between "gaslight schadenfreude campaign" and "nihilistic disregard;" at earliest convenience, send an unsolicited CYA email to any decision-makers that have rank on her. Address them all as To: and single her out as the only CC:, because she is only being notified as a loving courtesy. The distinction will almost certainly go over her head but never pass up the opportunity to say "gently caress you."

Thanks Ants posted:

As far as I know the smaller Sage applications used to just run out of a file share and the clients worked out a way amongst themselves of not corrupting things. This might have changed lately, I try to avoid Sage wherever possible.

Yeah, I've never used Sage 50 but I'm looking at its instructional material and grimacing.

-With the base program, you install some arbitrary number of copies to all work out of the same location on a network drive. I don't know if the software on the server is even doing anything if there isn't a local user, I think the "server" might literally just be a shared folder on your LAN and the only reason they even want you to install Accounts there is to generate a script to point everyone else's installation at the same directory.
-With Drive, you connect to a web-based service that is entirely operated by Sage Ltd. and sync your files there. There's a browser-based portal that you can log into and extend sync permissions to other people who have their own Accounts installations. You define a "main" site (which is everybody working out of that loving network share) as being authoritative and then whenever there's an inconsistency they just overwrite it with whatever the main site says.

I have no idea why she would ever need to turn off the service for anybody else to feed data in on her end. You should probably figure out more precisely what's going on. I'm willing to bet you can just unilaterally remove her from the position of garbage server administrator without even touching her laptop by setting up one of your own machines to automatically mirror her data over the LAN and have everyone else connect to you through whatever Sage server model is the least detestable. If her device is ever rendered unusable you can make up a reason that her data can't be restored to the format she was working out of and then put her on the same program as everyone else.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Super Slash posted:

I need a reality check.

Just move the file to a shared drive, map the drive, and don't tell her that the file got moved.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The Win10 ISO that you download with the media creation tool does not include install.wim and so cannot be imported into MDT for deployment purposes.

Is there a way I can get a VL copy of the ISO so I can create an image to deploy Win10 professional? If its against the licence well, I'm at the point where I do not care.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Swink posted:

The Win10 ISO that you download with the media creation tool does not include install.wim and so cannot be imported into MDT for deployment purposes.

Is there a way I can get a VL copy of the ISO so I can create an image to deploy Win10 professional? If its against the licence well, I'm at the point where I do not care.

Are you sure this is true? I've pulled the appropriate WIMs from Win 8.1 and 10 Pro ISOs for use with WDS.

Both Install.wim and Boot.wim are native parts of all Windows client install media unless something has drastically changed that I'm unaware of.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 17, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
The iso of win10 pro I just downloaded using the media creation tool does not contain an install.wim

I'll redownload it today to make sure. Maybe I got an insider build or something.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

What's the best *CHEAP* monitoring software for monitoring availability for about 30 devices (vsphere environment, physical servers, switches, firewalls, NAS)

I work for MSP so the solution I usually use is not ideal for a company that is going to be doing their own monitoring in house.

Requirements
* send me an email when something is completely down
* send me an email when specific windows service is down
* bonus: open and close tickets in spiceworks

I started looking at PRTG and looks fine

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
PRTG is easy. Might even be free for < 100 sensors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PRTG is good. Stay the gently caress away from WhatsUpGold.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

PRTG is easy. Might even be free for < 100 sensors.

It is!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What's the best *CHEAP* monitoring software for monitoring availability for about 30 devices (vsphere environment, physical servers, switches, firewalls, NAS)

I work for MSP so the solution I usually use is not ideal for a company that is going to be doing their own monitoring in house.

Requirements
* send me an email when something is completely down
* send me an email when specific windows service is down
* bonus: open and close tickets in spiceworks

I started looking at PRTG and looks fine

I still prefer Nagios for this sort of thing but PRTG would probably work as well just fine. I just prefer the look of Nagios once it's set up the way I like.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Small business: where replacing a failing hard disk drive in a RAID array for a cost of around £60 becomes a three month argument

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Medium sized, industry specific software: Where I've been trying to get the archive data storage separated from the live data storage for two years.

Currently its just stuck on the same disk, separated by folders. On a gargantuan virtual disk that I have to store and backup.

Oh and there's no function to delete old archive data. We've been requesting that feature for 5 years.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'll one-up that. We're legally required to keep all transaction data for 10 years. Our main system doesn't have a function to aggregate or export historical data to colder storage.

When calculating risks, trends etc it uses ALL available data, even though any data older than about 12 months is pretty much irrelevant for the calculations. Those calculations now take approximately 3 hours to run. :smithicide:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Let's say I have an RDS server that is accessible directly from the WAN and it's getting hit with brute force attacks. Other than AD lockout rules is there anything I can do at the perimeter to somehow say "if you put the wrong password in too many times we're just going to block your IP address for a few days" I'm guessing no because how would my firewall know that AD is rejecting the password?

asking for a friend who can't put RDS behind a vpn.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could you not use Remote Desktop Gateway?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

will that let me do the thing I want to do

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A RDP Gateway won't change anything except for which box is seeing the brute force attack.

On a *nix system I'd use fail2ban with the action set to point at a script that can add an IP address to the firewall's blacklist. I have no idea what the equivalent tool would be on Windows, but that might give you enough to start with. From a quick search for "fail2ban windows" it looks like there are a few programs that operate similarly, though I haven't seen any so far that seem to support external scripts so it'll be blocking using the internal firewall on the server rather than at your perimeter firewall.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

will that let me do the thing I want to do

Assuming your brute force attack is against common RDP ports then it would mitigate against that since it just operates over HTTPS. It depends on whether this is targeted or just a drive-by scan for open ports as to how effective it will be.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wolrah posted:

A RDP Gateway won't change anything except for which box is seeing the brute force attack.

On a *nix system I'd use fail2ban with the action set to point at a script that can add an IP address to the firewall's blacklist. I have no idea what the equivalent tool would be on Windows, but that might give you enough to start with. From a quick search for "fail2ban windows" it looks like there are a few programs that operate similarly, though I haven't seen any so far that seem to support external scripts so it'll be blocking using the internal firewall on the server rather than at your perimeter firewall.

nice this one looks like it has the right name anyway http://rdpguard.com/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't leave RDP open to the Internet.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Let's say I have an RDS server that is accessible directly from the WAN and it's getting hit with brute force attacks. Other than AD lockout rules is there anything I can do at the perimeter to somehow say "if you put the wrong password in too many times we're just going to block your IP address for a few days" I'm guessing no because how would my firewall know that AD is rejecting the password?

asking for a friend who can't put RDS behind a vpn.

You can also just change the port forward in the router. It's still visible to the world but it's unlikely any brute force scripts will try non-standard ports.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

frogbert posted:

You can also just change the port forward in the router. It's still visible to the world but it's unlikely any brute force scripts will try non-standard ports.
One of the few cases where "security through obscurity" actually does something useful. I can say for sure that my older PBXes that listen on the standard port 5060 get so many brute force attempts that I filter off the Fail2Ban emails just to retain some sanity in my inbox, where the newer ones that listen on a random port in the 7000s have never seen an actual attack.

Also the main reason I wish more things supported SRV records. It's so drat nice to be able to put services on non-standard ports but still be able to tell someone blah.blahblah.com and expect it to work, but SIP phones, Exchange, and Minecraft are pretty much the only common things I've seen work with them.

For RDP it could at least be tolerable because you could just save a Remote Desktop shortcut that has the port already set and email that to those who need to access it externally.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 22, 2015

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks - looks like rdpguard does what it says, and leverages windows firewall to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

If you had to choose between DHCP reservations and static IPs for printers, which would you choose and why?