Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mandatory lesbian posted:

please let this mean wasteland is gonna be reprinted, it even fits flavorly!

"Wasteland your Waste Land."

"Nope, can't do that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Which goon was it that had the cool playmat designs they were selling? Like urza utilities and siege rhino security. Need to buy a secret santa gift.

i think you can get those at inkedplaymats.com

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Which goon was it that had the cool playmat designs they were selling? Like urza utilities and siege rhino security. Need to buy a secret santa gift.

It was Erik something on inkedplaymats. I quoted it if you look at my post history.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saw this while scrolling through my feed. Four likes, the saddest app. I try to click on the one friend that downloaded it so I can laugh at them but can't. :(

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Skyl3lazer posted:

On the flip side, it's actually a really fun standard if you own the cards to play it. I'll never be dissapointed in a standard that doesn't feature a pile of 20 mountains as a deck.

It's still the 2nd most popular deck on MTGO, it just feature 12 mountains (3 of which are also forests) and 8 fetchlands. It's okay, I guess, but a lot of builds get 3 for 1'd by Surge of Righteousness and scoop.

It's not anywhere near as hard to beat as it was last year with Stoke and Lightning Strike around to burn you out.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 13, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also that deck costs about the same as the most expensive deck from last standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Also that deck costs about the same as the most expensive deck from last standard.
I just don't know about that deck; every time I play it it seems like it can be just as fast as it was last season, except its way more fragile and way less consistent. I'm still on Esper Dragons and you would think that would be a really horrible matchup, but so many builds are focused on basically comboing you out that holding a Silkwrap or Surge of Righteousness often just wins the game because people keep hands with Zurgo/Taylor, 2 pump spells and land all of the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Oath of the Gatewatch is the story of four planeswalkers - one green, one red, one blue, and one white making an Oath to fight the Eldrazi or some poo poo. There's no black planeswalker in the Oath.

The Oath Cycle from Exodus has 5 oaths, one green, one red, one blue, and one white and one black. The only one on the Reserved List is the black one.

Conclusion: Oath of Druids is in OGW. The foreshadowing is obvious guys.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Angry Grimace posted:

Oath of the Gatewatch is the story of four planeswalkers - one green, one red, one blue, and one white making an Oath to fight the Eldrazi or some poo poo. There's no black planeswalker in the Oath.

The Oath Cycle from Exodus has 5 oaths, one green, one red, one blue, and one white and one black. The only one on the Reserved List is the black one.

Conclusion: Oath of Druids is in OGW. The foreshadowing is obvious guys.

They put Oath of Ghouls on the Reserve List?! WHY?!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

This sounded ridiculous so I went to look. And yes indeed. Oath of Ghouls is the only one on the reserved list. That's pretty bananas, considering Oath of Druids is in that cycle.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

They put Oath of Ghouls on the Reserve List?! WHY?!

Alaan posted:

This sounded ridiculous so I went to look. And yes indeed. Oath of Ghouls is the only one on the reserved list. That's pretty bananas, considering Oath of Druids is in that cycle.

My only guess is that, since this was near the end of the list, that they were trying to create reasons why they would stop putting cards on it by putting completely random poo poo on there.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I'd have thought it was more about them managing to keep the others off the list and Ghouls went on as a quota thing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Out of curiosity I just looked up the Oath of Ghouls oracle text and it's pretty confusing. Are they deliberately using the "no targets --> fizzles" rule instead of an intervening if clause?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Wijaya straight trying to cheat on camera. No wonder he went almost undefeated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wijaya straight trying to cheat on camera. No wonder he went almost undefeated.

What did he do?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rinkles posted:

What did he do?

Tapped 6 lands and left a shambling vent and a sunken hollow untapped. At the end of Julianos turn made to untap everything, swapped the vent for an island, then said wait, retapped it and tried to dig through time. Judge had to stop it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Out of curiosity I just looked up the Oath of Ghouls oracle text and it's pretty confusing. Are they deliberately using the "no targets --> fizzles" rule instead of an intervening if clause?

It's so you can't respond to the trigger to make it active

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Tapped 6 lands and left a shambling vent and a sunken hollow untapped. At the end of Julianos turn made to untap everything, swapped the vent for an island, then said wait, retapped it and tried to dig through time. Judge had to stop it.

Players even at FNM level just untap lands in my experience to cast poo poo all of the time, its kind of crazy. I don't want to make a stink, I just make sure they notice I caught it. They always to a man claim it was some kind of mental error and that they weren't intending to do it, but that sounds pretty suspect.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Players even at FNM level just untap lands in my experience to cast poo poo all of the time, its kind of crazy. I don't want to make a stink, I just make sure they notice I caught it. They always to a man claim it was some kind of mental error and that they weren't intending to do it, but that sounds pretty suspect.

How often do they wait your entire turn before doing it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How often do they wait your entire turn before doing it?

Usually this occurs in some sort of tapping frenzy, where they tap stuff to cast something, and then when they change their minds magically more land is untapped.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah but this was he had 8 lands untapped. It's Julianos turn. He taps 3 to counter something, taps 3 more to counter another thing. They went through it. Juliano thought for a second, passed turn. Wijaya looked at his lands for a second. Untapped them. Swapped the vent for an island, said wait, retapped 6 lands leaving two islands open and tried to cast DTT.

That was deliberate and on purpose since he tapped his mana wrong.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 14, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The feeling when you know you tapped your mana wrong is the worst. Just staring down at your lands while sweating and hoping your opponent doesn't make the play you would've held up different mana to combat. But they always do. :(

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BJPaskoff posted:

The feeling when you know you tapped your mana wrong is the worst. Just staring down at your lands while sweating and hoping your opponent doesn't make the play you would've held up different mana to combat. But they always do. :(

I once had a Deathrite in play against Reanimator, used my Bayou to cast a Thoughtseize then played a Badlands and realized I'd just lost the game. Never made that mistake again!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

I once had a Deathrite in play against Reanimator, used my Bayou to cast a Thoughtseize then played a Badlands and realized I'd just lost the game. Never made that mistake again!

If you were a pro you would have just cheated! Next Level Magic.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

suicidesteve posted:

I confuse the B and 1B ingest dorks a bunch and end up playing the wrong land turn 1 before I realize it. :saddowns:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Oh hey the cheater won. Cool.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So the penalty for obvious cheating is that if you get caught the Judge stops you?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

So the penalty for obvious cheating is that if you get caught the Judge stops you?

Is that not what the penalty is supposed to be? He took back the spell, isn't that good enough?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Voyager I posted:

You have to do it several times but sometimes if you out yourself by catching it and calling the judge over, when the opponent had no clue, you can sometimes get the DQ right then and there! :D

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Umm, wow

http://imgur.com/a/gke40

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

Is that not what the penalty is supposed to be? He took back the spell, isn't that good enough?

If the penalty for cheating is just having to take back the spell, then it incentivizes cheating since there is a potentially huge reward for the modest price of revealing the card you were going to cheat with if you get caught.

The only reason not to come down on it super hard is that Magic actually is pretty complicated so having people auto-lose for minor mistakes would be dumb, and it's quite difficult to conclusively prove intent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

hahah awesome

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kozilek's Return is sick.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So this actually was the RW manland art

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

If the penalty for cheating is just having to take back the spell, then it incentivizes cheating since there is a potentially huge reward for the modest price of revealing the card you were going to cheat with if you get caught.

The only reason not to come down on it super hard is that Magic actually is pretty complicated so having people auto-lose for minor mistakes would be dumb, and it's quite difficult to conclusively prove intent.

Look man just because someone blatantly tried to cheat by untapping a tapped land doesn't mean they should be called a cheater or be punished as if they were one.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

holy poo poo dust bowl wasteland and strip mine reprints.

edit: holy poo poo is that the fabled good chandra? that zero seems fantastic.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 14, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Can't decide if going on a tectonic edge expedition instead of a wasteland one is more feels-bad than getting the new crowdland instead of flooded strand.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

That sure is a lot of land hate :stare:

Fiend Computer posted:

holy poo poo dust bowl wasteland and tectonic edge reprints.

It's 6 mana to loot your whole hand and draw one and she doesn't start with enough loyalty to reliably -X the board by the time she comes out. She doesn't look great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wait, Strip Mine's not on the Reserve List? Also I can't wait for the one expedition I ever open to be a Tec Edge :negative:

Fiend Computer posted:

holy poo poo dust bowl wasteland and tectonic edge reprints.

I'd be in love if she was five mana, six just seems a little too slow for what she brings to the table. I do like the -X ultimate though, making that a variable cost is a neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Can't decide if going on a tectonic edge expedition instead of a wasteland one is more feels-bad than getting the new crowdland instead of flooded strand.

Where does Strip Mine land on that scale?

• Locked thread