Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

Why can't we go back to the Air Force of old, when we had our priorities straight?

Reminder that not only did Jimmy Stewart fly combat missions in WWII after he was already a legit movie star, he was awarded the DFC (twice) and stayed in the Reserves after the war, flying on a BUFF for an Arc Light mission during Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

hosed up if true

hosed up and true.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Eyre Kneed posted:

hosed up and true.

poo poo. I need to find these MPS's and work in them then, because all MPS's/admin sections in the usaf are really controlled by the OG.

Everywhere.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 12, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

poo poo. I need to find these MPS's and work in them then, because all MPS's/admin sections in the usaf are really controlled by the OG.

Everywhere.

Your shop doesn't shut down for "training" every thursday at 11 until the rest of the day?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Your shop doesn't shut down for "training" every thursday at 11 until the rest of the day?

12. Just like the MDG (who nobody seems to mind closing twice a month *all day*) And by then the 'rest of they day' means 430. MPS's close for 4.5 hours a week. If you're too dumb to figure out how to get to the MPS when it's open literally 41 hours in a week then I don't know what to tell you :shrug:

But yea dude, it's totally 'whenever we want.' :thumbsup:

Honestly though, the personnel career field doesn't need to close once a week, especially CONUS where there are far fewer entitlement programs compared to OCOUNS. OCONUS MPS's should close once a week to stay current on all the loving dependent return, DEROS, student dependent travel, ERD poo poo that is less common but hugely important. If I was an MSG/CC, I'd say once a month for my MPS to shut down, at 11, to train. There's not enough time in 4 days to come up with 4.5 hours of training every week.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 12, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sorry, maybe I was busy working the rest of the week.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry, maybe I was busy working the rest of the week.

Don't you reboot computers all day?

How is it you fly, fight, and/or win?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 12, 2015

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I've been waiting for TMO to send my stuff to me. Talked to them before Thanksgiving, stuff won't be here for another week. Even after getting out, I'm still being hosed over.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

A Kpro posted:

I've been waiting for TMO to send my stuff to me. Talked to them before Thanksgiving, stuff won't be here for another week. Even after getting out, I'm still being hosed over.

Ask me about having my car shipped by IAL.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Got approved for separation this week. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Kuroyama posted:

Got approved for separation this week. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FscIgtDJFXg

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

12. Just like the MDG (who nobody seems to mind closing twice a month *all day*) And by then the 'rest of they day' means 430. MPS's close for 4.5 hours a week. If you're too dumb to figure out how to get to the MPS when it's open literally 41 hours in a week then I don't know what to tell you :shrug:

But yea dude, it's totally 'whenever we want.' :thumbsup:

Honestly though, the personnel career field doesn't need to close once a week, especially CONUS where there are far fewer entitlement programs compared to OCOUNS. OCONUS MPS's should close once a week to stay current on all the loving dependent return, DEROS, student dependent travel, ERD poo poo that is less common but hugely important. If I was an MSG/CC, I'd say once a month for my MPS to shut down, at 11, to train. There's not enough time in 4 days to come up with 4.5 hours of training every week.

Shut the gently caress up nonner.

Any closure for training is loving hilarious to me.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I used to think the same thing when I was an F-16 crew chief.

I also used to take myself too seriously and use words like noner un-ironically. Like when on swing shift no jets were broke and we were released at 1600, I'd drive by the MPF, that was still open and working and yell 'Fukken noner fags!' out the window of my Chevy pick up truck. I did this because things beyond my understanding confound and anger me.

Then I'd put on some Disturbed and get down with the sickness.

Really though the bitter cry-baby tears of those who whine about MPS's closing is loving hilarious to me also. Was Thursday after 12 really the only time you could find to go to an MPF? I'm sorry everybody's :airquote: real job :airquote: doesn't afford them ~30 minutes to take care of whatever. Sounds more like a lovely supervision problem than an MPS problem (it is).

VVVVV
No way dude, all training should be done after work. Keep everyone after work for two+ hours to do CBTs and green up the cann bird. Stay two+ hours after everyone else left to itemize and re-re-tag everything in TNB because closing for training is bullshit.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 12, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

To be fair if you had had non-poo poo mx leadership you would actually have been able to use the monthly training/no-fly day for actual mx training purposes as opposed to that being the day you greened up the cann bird and then knocked out some CBTs

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Everywhere.

Go somewhere run by an Air Base Wing.

Edit: Shouldn't those sections fall under MSG anyway?

Edit2: There's no excuse for our wing commander to have to make a phone call for these offices to do their loving jobs, and yet it had to happen several times. You're fighting a losing war here, bro.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Any wing king worth his weight in piss doesn't use his phone, because he's never at his desk.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Admittedly, we had a string of bad ones. But an entire squadron unable to get paid deployment moneys eventually got his attention, even if Finance didn't give a gently caress.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Our wing cc drove around in a golf cart yelling like Ric Flair.

He was p cool

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Is someone from FSS trying to say they do an equivalent or relevant amount of work compared to MX related career fields?

:allears:

Go on tell me about working nights or holidays or the last time you got a pumpkin spice latte they didn't get the cream right

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Why are we fighting over which seat is the best on the short bus? We're all retarded in the end.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

nullscan posted:

Why are we fighting over which seat is the best on the short bus? We're all retarded in the end.

Because I had to stand in a line (that only included myself) in MPF longer than it would take an O6 to call me and threaten my stripes when a plane didn't get a fuel truck. I'm bitter.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

smertrioslol posted:

Is someone from FSS trying to say they do an equivalent or relevant amount of work compared to MX related career fields?

:allears:

Go on tell me about working nights or holidays or the last time you got a pumpkin spice latte they didn't get the cream right

No. Please re-read my posts and try again.

:jerkbag:

Also, I can tell you about working nights and holidays just like you. You're nothing special I'm sorry to have to tell you this :(

Please give me more tired, unoriginal FSS stereotypes :allears:

But hurry up I need to leave early for my 2 hour lunch.

Godholio posted:

Go somewhere run by an Air Base Wing.

Edit: Shouldn't those sections fall under MSG anyway?

Edit2: There's no excuse for our wing commander to have to make a phone call for these offices to do their loving jobs, and yet it had to happen several times. You're fighting a losing war here, bro.

I was at Eglin, it was run by the 96 ABW when I was there.

Yes, those sections should fall under the MSG, but at my base any time the OG/CC whines or complains, the FSS/CC ingratiates himself before him and gives him whatever he wants. Therefore, the FSS is controlled by the OG. This is the way it is literally everywhere.

Finally, you can't act like FSS is the only place ever to get an angry call because someone isn't doing their jobs. If I'm losing a war, it's only because your only ammo is anecdotes.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 13, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have the best seat because I'm getting paid to sit in my underpants and play fallout for 70 days.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Cojawfee posted:

I have the best seat because I'm out

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Just found out there's another goddamn furry in my squadron. I hate being a linguist some most all days.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When my squadron got merged with part of an Intel squadron, we had the first fun day/cookout whatever with the new squadron. There was one intel kid with some sort of nerdy catch phrase t-shirt just standing around staring at people. It was creepy as poo poo. Never do anything involving intel.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
There was just one? I figured that description would've applied to at least half the squadron

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People used to think I was lying when I told them I can't just leave work for some random same-day CSL training thing. Anyway thats why the Air Force is gay, especially people who don't work in ops/the flightline/anything actually important

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Nothing in the af is important.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TRANSCOM stuff is important. Sorta

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

iyaayas01 posted:

There was just one? I figured that description would've applied to at least half the squadron

I was a 1N2 and that describes at least 80% of 1N2/3/4s

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
A while ago there was a guy who was either an instructor or some other permanent party member at the DLI. It was common to see linguist trainees walking around with pony tails, fox ears, and other brony/furry poo poo openly.

And nobody punched then in the stomach repeatedly. I'd like to hear more about how hilarious the DLI is.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Pony tails as in the hair style? or like an actual tail pinned to their pants?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Pony tails as in the hair style? or like an actual tail pinned to their pants?

The latter.

Like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/55656900/2-red-fox-tail-long-fluffy-fur

I saw them at Sheppard too when I went to the NCOA.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 13, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yes, those sections should fall under the MSG, but at my base any time the OG/CC whines or complains, the FSS/CC ingratiates himself before him and gives him whatever he wants. Therefore, the FSS is controlled by the OG. This is the way it is literally everywhere.

This is literally the way it has to be. Support functions exist to support operations. The problem is that they often come up far short. Obviously manning is a huge problem and it's absolutely batshit insane how the orderly room turned into the CSS, but that logic still comes up short of the level of bullshit.

The problem isn't that the OG gets his way, the problem is that the OG has to get involved at all. I don't think anyone expects everything to work 100% of the time; that's unrealistic in any setting. But when it takes literally weeks to get answers, when those answers are wrong, when documents with dependents' PII repeatedly goes missing, when people aren't getting their earned pay for months, when it takes more than half a year for missing pay to finally get disbursed, and when the office is closed 2-3 days per months for training plus an afternoon every couple of weeks for an "office function" plus only even being open from 0900-1500 with limited manning during lunch, I genuinely don't understand how anyone could be surprised that the "customer" is dissatisfied.

It's not a universal problem; I had a great experience when I drove 45 minutes each way to an ANG base to get a new ID card because it was several hours faster than going to my own MPF. And from what I've seen being a contractor on a Navy base, there are actually people who understand DTS and can make it work for the traveler. But the problems are too widespread and too consistent to be hand-waved away.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 13, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'd like to hear more about how hilarious the DLI is.

Go hog wild

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The one actual example we had of an anime sperg decided to get out and become a girl. I don't know about him being into ponies but he had gone to the ttouble of learning Japanese.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

This is literally the way it has to be. Support functions exist to support operations. The problem is that they often come up far short. Obviously manning is a huge problem and it's absolutely batshit insane how the orderly room turned into the CSS, but that logic still comes up short of the level of bullshit.

The problem isn't that the OG gets his way, the problem is that the OG has to get involved at all. I don't think anyone expects everything to work 100% of the time; that's unrealistic in any setting. But when it takes literally weeks to get answers, when those answers are wrong, when documents with dependents' PII repeatedly goes missing, when people aren't getting their earned pay for months, when it takes more than half a year for missing pay to finally get disbursed, and when the office is closed 2-3 days per months for training plus an afternoon every couple of weeks for an "office function" plus only even being open from 0900-1500 with limited manning during lunch, I genuinely don't understand how anyone could be surprised that the "customer" is dissatisfied.

It's not a universal problem; I had a great experience when I drove 45 minutes each way to an ANG base to get a new ID card because it was several hours faster than going to my own MPF. And from what I've seen being a contractor on a Navy base, there are actually people who understand DTS and can make it work for the traveler. But the problems are too widespread and too consistent to be hand-waved away.

A while ago I realized that there's two people in the air force: those who fly planes or fly in planes for a living, and those who support those who do. If you're a nobleman who flies, the whole base is there to serve you, no matter what.

Sorry that your MPS was lovely, but what you're mentioning sounds outrageous. Bombastic even. Missing pay getting dispersed has nothing to do with personnel, that's a finance role.

And, I'm sorry, but I'll never ever buy people moaning that some MPS's close for half a day to train. If what you're describing is true, about the staggering degree of incompetence going on in that MPS, then closing for training is what should happen. You need to train, but you can't train effectively when the phones are ringing off the hook and customers are coming in asking the dumbest questions.

Also I really need to find out what MPS doesn't open until 0900. Holy gently caress that would be awesome. My MPS is open from 0730 - 1700 every day, except Thursday when we close at 12 for training. Sometimes I feel like people get so wrapped up in lol personnel nonner slackers stories they believe their own hyperbole :( 9.5 hours we're open because the OG cried that we weren't supporting them enough. I guess 8 hours a day isn't enough time to stop by.

DTS isn't a personnel program or system, and 3S0's have no responsibility to help anybody with it. poo poo, we have to use it ourselves and hate it just as much. Your units have a DTS monitor for that exact reason.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

A while ago I realized that there's two people in the air force: those who fly planes or fly in planes for a living, and those who support those who do. If you're a nobleman who flies, the whole base is there to serve you, no matter what.

Sorry that your MPS was lovely, but what you're mentioning sounds outrageous. Bombastic even. Missing pay getting dispersed has nothing to do with personnel, that's a finance role.

And, I'm sorry, but I'll never ever buy people moaning that some MPS's close for half a day to train. If what you're describing is true, about the staggering degree of incompetence going on in that MPS, then closing for training is what should happen. You need to train, but you can't train effectively when the phones are ringing off the hook and customers are coming in asking the dumbest questions.

Also I really need to find out what MPS doesn't open until 0900. Holy gently caress that would be awesome. My MPS is open from 0730 - 1700 every day, except Thursday when we close at 12 for training. Sometimes I feel like people get so wrapped up in lol personnel nonner slackers stories they believe their own hyperbole :( 9.5 hours we're open because the OG cried that we weren't supporting them enough. I guess 8 hours a day isn't enough time to stop by.

DTS isn't a personnel program or system, and 3S0's have no responsibility to help anybody with it. poo poo, we have to use it ourselves and hate it just as much. Your units have a DTS monitor for that exact reason.

The MPF at fort meade is open 0930-1530, with an hour block in the middle for their lunch. Except on Thursdays when they close at lunch for training and PT. I don't know what bases you've been to, but 730-5 is not the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

xsf421 posted:

The MPF at fort meade is open 0930-1530, with an hour block in the middle for their lunch. Except on Thursdays when they close at lunch for training and PT. I don't know what bases you've been to, but 730-5 is not the norm.

*furiously updates dream sheet/refreshes EQUAL+*

Every base I've been to (Luke, Eglin, Ramstein, and this base) is from 730 - at least 1600. PT is on Mon Wed Fri, and someone from each section (ID Cards, outbound, EPRs/OPRs) *must* be at work by 0730. Those people who opened the MPS go do PT at 1530 so they can get their PT in during duty hours like everyone else. But never has an MPF not been open by 0730 because the amount of poo poo that would cause.

Perhaps, because Meade is an Army post, the MPF there only services a very small percentage of AF folks. No real reason to keep it open if they only get a handful of customers each week.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 14, 2015

• Locked thread