Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Ninjas also have Shoulder Tackle, it's called Overwhelm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

That's cool, but also makes my decision of which damage class to level next even more difficult.

Then level Ninja. The Rogue storyline is genuinely fun and the (I stopped at 37) Ninja antagonist is... unique to this game at least. :stare:

I do hear that Monk spends its time learning to be THE GREATEST FITEMANS 'tho. So that might be equally good.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Thyrork posted:

Then level Ninja. The Rogue storyline is genuinely fun and the (I stopped at 37) Ninja antagonist is... unique to this game at least. :stare:

I do hear that Monk spends its time learning to be THE GREATEST FITEMANS 'tho. So that might be equally good.

Pugilist's class quests are genuinely the best class quests in the game. Monk is less fun but oh well.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

In case you missed it in my last post, make sure to use recruitment code 3TUHPQ6N when you create your account ;)
Code used, on Excalibur as Brawn Strongface

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
I paid 18 dollars to get transfer my silly rear end to Excalibur as Hypatia Eo, where do I go now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

I paid 18 dollars to get transfer my silly rear end to Excalibur as Hypatia Eo, where do I go now?

There's a thread on ffgoons about joining the various goon guilds. And you need to have an ffgoons account anyways. http://forums.ffgoons.com/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tenik posted:

That's the default look of the gearset that is the most practical for him to use.

Yeah dying gear hot pink/ridiculous glamouring is a sub 50 thing, at 50 the game does it for you.

FYI low level crafted tin can tank gear sets look amazing dyed pink.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
What DPS classes are the most fun these days, if I'm defining a "fun" class as having a cool style and the fewest bullshit mechanics? For example, I used to love MNK for its style, but I loathed everything conspiring to make me lose my stacks constantly.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

For what it's worth, MNK is still MNK, but better. They even extended the duration Greased Lightning lasts by a few seconds, so it's harder to lose your stacks. Bonus: even if you are in a situation where you're about to lose them, whether due to a mistake or a phase change, you can dump your stacks with a new skill, Tornado Kick, to help make up for the DPS loss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meldonox posted:

What DPS classes are the most fun these days, if I'm defining a "fun" class as having a cool style and the fewest bullshit mechanics? For example, I used to love MNK for its style, but I loathed everything conspiring to make me lose my stacks constantly.

Warrior.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Well sure, WAR's the best class hands down. Obviously I just need to read a refresher on how to maximize my damage output and just run with Goons so I can WAR DPS as God intended.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Granbar posted:

Thanks for sorting me out! Now I'm ready for anything!!!

"...yarrrrp."

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

How's this game for people who play primarily together? A friend and I duo play a lot of MMOs and some work better than others. We're currently wrapping up playing Elder Scrolls Online and that plays very well for us two, but for example we were very annoyed by The Secret World because nearly every instance (which there were many) you were forced solo. Really killed the duo vibe for us.

I've read that you can play every class with one character. Does each class have it's own story progression or something? Would our duo work if we said we will be X and Y class together and we can gently caress around with the other classes on our own? We try not to out-level each other so we can stay at the same content.

drink slurm
Feb 18, 2010

Anime and Weed, what else do you need?
until about level 15 its mostly a solo game, after that if you two get together you can queue dungeons together (dungeons are 4 man: tank, healer and two dps) and do most of the main story as a party. there are some solo instanced parts in the main story but they are all like a five minute fluff encounters. The class stuff is mostly solo as well but again its a very small part of your game time.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Natsuumi posted:

I've read that you can play every class with one character. Does each class have it's own story progression or something? Would our duo work if we said we will be X and Y class together and we can gently caress around with the other classes on our own? We try not to out-level each other so we can stay at the same content.

Each class has it's set of story quests, every five levels, but that's separate from the main story quest. There are occasional story and quest instances that you have to do solo (I think?) but that won't be the majority of your play time by any means.

The game would lend itself to you leveling up alt classes/crafting while your duo partner isn't around, as long as you don't try doing the main story quests in the meanwhile.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Natsuumi posted:

How's this game for people who play primarily together? A friend and I duo play a lot of MMOs and some work better than others. We're currently wrapping up playing Elder Scrolls Online and that plays very well for us two, but for example we were very annoyed by The Secret World because nearly every instance (which there were many) you were forced solo. Really killed the duo vibe for us.

If one of you enjoys playing either tank or healer (or both!) then you'll have a very easy time of it. Leveling in XIV is handled almost entirely by the main story quests, which boil down into the following three activities:

1. A whole bunch of stuff done in the open-world, which you can do together without issue.
2. About a dozen 4-man dungeons, which you can queue for together. If one or both of you is a tank or a healer, those queues will be much faster; instant, if one of you is playing a tank job.
3. About 7 or 8 "duty" fights at critical plot points. You're forced to do these solo, but they're not difficult and not that prevalent. They are the sort of thing where, if you were doing everything together, you would briefly separate to finish them and meet back up 5-10 minutes later.

Each individual class does have it's own storyline done through it's own quests every 5 levels, and those are mostly intended to be completed solo. However, those are not a large part of the content.

Basically, there will be occasions where the two of you will have to separate, but they are the exception and not the rule of playing the game. It's very friendly for a couple of people working together.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

My monthly subscribtion is nearly up for this month, SE did a freebie which I appreciated by I paid my month in full price. Regardless I have to write my experiences every time I subscribe to show what they are and how they change. Will I be subscribing the month after? That is a pretty big question that I hope Square Enix is paying close attention to. The quick answer is yes, but just because I am doesn't indicate that I am showing this game is a victory as an MMO IP. I have to address the problems I encountered so that hopefully some change will progress.

I have waited off a good five months before playing again and there is a good reason for it. My initial playthrough was on the PS3 which was an embarrassment to the game. I was met with RTM/gold spamming beyond any other MMO I have ever played in my life. My damaged enjoyment of the game was also slowed to a halt by the embarrassingly bad crafting classes and slow EXP gains. SE has addressed this issue with bonus EXP for returning players through the main story and I am very much thankful for that. But overall the exp felt like a bribe, my send play-through of the game showed barely improvements. Most noticeably were the new side-quests and gold saucer added in but rather than being a fresh enjoyment these features only proved to be an annoying side-quest with bells and whistles dumped into the mix as rewards. The Gold Saucer feels bland and souless, the games are bare bones and the rewards just feel like a separate grand company with a new batch of skin thrown over it.

My attempts to enjoy the small features like fates and talking with players is censored out by hoards of RTM gold spamming. I spend more time reporting annoying bots and blacklisting them after than I do enjoying the actual game. I have tried to reach out to SE multiple times to fix the issue, the only reply I am met with is prerecorded messages. Yes robots are in charge of handling RTM robots. This level of service is the most abomination and despicable slap in my face that I could ever receive from a MMO company.

Yoshi-P expects his game to survive on new players and he is throwing them into this pit of a game without so much as a lick of human respect. The only thing holding my interests for this game is the golden Heavensward expansion, I have heard reviews left and right that praise it. My own favorite youtbers for years were paid a deal to come out and review the game positively. They have done so in a weak half attempt by the point has been made to me. I resubbed after five months, with their words as my faith. But unfortunately my month is almost up and I have not even come close to the end of the base game. Even when treading through it at full speed on one class, there is just simply too much fluff in this game and brief relevant content few and far between.

The subscribtion model, you will hear this until the day the servers close. Because no matter how high and mighty in the unicorn colored clouds Yoshi-P is, this year is now 2016 and they game is ancient news. The sub model copies the first and oldest MMOs out there, and like my 140 year old great great grandparents (who are dead thankfully) they serve no purpose on this earth anymore and should be taken to the back and shot. A B2P model would be the best thing for this current game. I myself do not mind paying for a sub In a game but only if that game competes with the best of the best in video gaming, books, tv, and music, and every other form of entertainment. For a whopping 15 dollars a month when Netflix is cheaper, when Apple streaming is cheaper, god when Twitch is cheaper you know there is a problem with a game that can't compete with breathing in oxygen. If Yoshi is so uptight about a different model then He might as well put this game out of its misery. The way the trends are going if this game alone isn't B2P by the 2nd expansion, it won't be another heartbeat before falling into an early disappointing grave.

My hopes for the expansion are big. I hear many great things about from its story to its raids and world exploration. I just hope for my 40$ that I will get a wealth of meaningful content. With a game like Fallout 4, which I got for free, I use as a standard to compare. Yes Fallout 4 is my minimal expectation of this expansion, I am throwing fourty American dollars that has seen blood, taxes, weather, and age. These fourty dollars are my gift to Square Enix. But I expect to be treated like a common age gamer and most importantly a human being.

So concluding my miniature rant I would like to skip back to a positive beat. This game still stands on the pinnacle of Potential. Its future is bright but only in the hands of the vigilant. Is it the most perfect game in the world? No and it doesn't have to be. All I expect as a normal gamer in a normal game is to play that game for what it is, a game. No Rtm, no crafting classes, no bells/whistle side quests. I just want to get through the story and reach an end, then I can find something to take pride in and defend the game over. But until then my month is spent, I'll look forward to the next review coming next month. If you made it this far I appreciate it.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
I....wat?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Technogeek posted:

My monthly subscribtion is nearly up for this month, SE did a freebie which I appreciated by I paid my month in full price. Regardless I have to write my experiences every time I subscribe to show what they are and how they change. Will I be subscribing the month after? That is a pretty big question that I hope Square Enix is paying close attention to. The quick answer is yes, but just because I am doesn't indicate that I am showing this game is a victory as an MMO IP. I have to address the problems I encountered so that hopefully some change will progress.

I have waited off a good five months before playing again and there is a good reason for it. My initial playthrough was on the PS3 which was an embarrassment to the game. I was met with RTM/gold spamming beyond any other MMO I have ever played in my life. My damaged enjoyment of the game was also slowed to a halt by the embarrassingly bad crafting classes and slow EXP gains. SE has addressed this issue with bonus EXP for returning players through the main story and I am very much thankful for that. But overall the exp felt like a bribe, my send play-through of the game showed barely improvements. Most noticeably were the new side-quests and gold saucer added in but rather than being a fresh enjoyment these features only proved to be an annoying side-quest with bells and whistles dumped into the mix as rewards. The Gold Saucer feels bland and souless, the games are bare bones and the rewards just feel like a separate grand company with a new batch of skin thrown over it.

My attempts to enjoy the small features like fates and talking with players is censored out by hoards of RTM gold spamming. I spend more time reporting annoying bots and blacklisting them after than I do enjoying the actual game. I have tried to reach out to SE multiple times to fix the issue, the only reply I am met with is prerecorded messages. Yes robots are in charge of handling RTM robots. This level of service is the most abomination and despicable slap in my face that I could ever receive from a MMO company.

Yoshi-P expects his game to survive on new players and he is throwing them into this pit of a game without so much as a lick of human respect. The only thing holding my interests for this game is the golden Heavensward expansion, I have heard reviews left and right that praise it. My own favorite youtbers for years were paid a deal to come out and review the game positively. They have done so in a weak half attempt by the point has been made to me. I resubbed after five months, with their words as my faith. But unfortunately my month is almost up and I have not even come close to the end of the base game. Even when treading through it at full speed on one class, there is just simply too much fluff in this game and brief relevant content few and far between.

The subscribtion model, you will hear this until the day the servers close. Because no matter how high and mighty in the unicorn colored clouds Yoshi-P is, this year is now 2016 and they game is ancient news. The sub model copies the first and oldest MMOs out there, and like my 140 year old great great grandparents (who are dead thankfully) they serve no purpose on this earth anymore and should be taken to the back and shot. A B2P model would be the best thing for this current game. I myself do not mind paying for a sub In a game but only if that game competes with the best of the best in video gaming, books, tv, and music, and every other form of entertainment. For a whopping 15 dollars a month when Netflix is cheaper, when Apple streaming is cheaper, god when Twitch is cheaper you know there is a problem with a game that can't compete with breathing in oxygen. If Yoshi is so uptight about a different model then He might as well put this game out of its misery. The way the trends are going if this game alone isn't B2P by the 2nd expansion, it won't be another heartbeat before falling into an early disappointing grave.

My hopes for the expansion are big. I hear many great things about from its story to its raids and world exploration. I just hope for my 40$ that I will get a wealth of meaningful content. With a game like Fallout 4, which I got for free, I use as a standard to compare. Yes Fallout 4 is my minimal expectation of this expansion, I am throwing fourty American dollars that has seen blood, taxes, weather, and age. These fourty dollars are my gift to Square Enix. But I expect to be treated like a common age gamer and most importantly a human being.

So concluding my miniature rant I would like to skip back to a positive beat. This game still stands on the pinnacle of Potential. Its future is bright but only in the hands of the vigilant. Is it the most perfect game in the world? No and it doesn't have to be. All I expect as a normal gamer in a normal game is to play that game for what it is, a game. No Rtm, no crafting classes, no bells/whistle side quests. I just want to get through the story and reach an end, then I can find something to take pride in and defend the game over. But until then my month is spent, I'll look forward to the next review coming next month. If you made it this far I appreciate it.

same

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So I encountered this while healing a Tam-tara in my roulette today:

Leftside: Bronze Bastard Sword (5), Hard Leather Pot Helm (8 melee), Custom-made Cuirass (6 tank), Amatsu Tekko (1 event), Hard Leather Satchel Belt (12 mage), Amatsu Haidate (1 event), Bronze Sollerets (8 drg). All NQ although that's just icing at that point. (Rightside was actually reasonable enough. Shield was slightly out of date - level 8 I think - but accessories were normal dinky +1 str/dex stuff that you'd expect.)

Not pictured: they have a BLM at 52 and ought to know perfectly well the benefits of having a tank who can actually hold threat. Not to mention being perfectly able to buy appropriate vendor gear at least.

Suffice it to say that they occasionally had temporary threat on one mob per pack. The two sprout DPS were very good sports about it. I left the tank with some strong suggestions to update their gear before running another dungeon. The tank never actually said a word the whole time.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
wow shame on that level 17 gladiator does he not know what high stakes there are in tam-tara

you can't hold threat reliably as gla/pld until you get rage of halone anyway so who loving cares

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vil posted:

Leftside: Bronze Bastard Sword (5), Hard Leather Pot Helm (8 melee), Custom-made Cuirass (6 tank), Amatsu Tekko (1 event), Hard Leather Satchel Belt (12 mage), Amatsu Haidate (1 event), Bronze Sollerets (8 drg). All NQ although that's just icing at that point. (Rightside was actually reasonable enough. Shield was slightly out of date - level 8 I think - but accessories were normal dinky +1 str/dex stuff that you'd expect.)

Not pictured: they have a BLM at 52 and ought to know perfectly well the benefits of having a tank who can actually hold threat. Not to mention being perfectly able to buy appropriate vendor gear at least.

Suffice it to say that they occasionally had temporary threat on one mob per pack. The two sprout DPS were very good sports about it. I left the tank with some strong suggestions to update their gear before running another dungeon. The tank never actually said a word the whole time.

That's topaz carbuncle's time to shine right there. While Titan can tank better carbie is so adorable while tanking.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In fairness to OF rant guy, RMT tells are still completely obnoxious on small servers and I have little faith that SE cares to do anything about it at this point.

Lol at the rest though.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

kharaa posted:

wow shame on that level 17 gladiator does he not know what high stakes there are in tam-tara

you can't hold threat reliably as gla/pld until you get rage of halone anyway so who loving cares

They should at least have a better weapon from their class quests though. They probably weren't even doing them, one of THOSE people.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Vil posted:

Ugh, literally had something just like that, but a MRD instead of GLD. Level 5 weapon, DPS level 5 shirt, caster pants. I thought "oh, must be new." Nope, they had PLD to 60. Suffice to say I tanked as a DRG. I said "hey, you should really upgrade your gear to keep up" and he did respond with "LOL I know" and never said another word.

I had one earlier where it was a PLD in Qarn, he said it was his 1st time (he was wearing the PLD artifact gear) and he'd use flash way before the enemy was around him, then run in, and start smashing buttons, always losing aggro. Like, he'd go from riot blade, to rage of halone, to savage blade. Finally, I said "basic tanking: shield lob, let enemies get close, flash, then just use the rage of halone combo". He did it one mob, then went back to his smash buttons routine. I should have votekicked him, but I think that'd constitute harassment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's only harassment if you call them a oval office before doing it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Even then it's not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Basically the warning about abusing the votekick system is meaningless, and nobody should be worried or feel bad about kicking someone who's making the game less fun for them.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I usually votekick Paladins for harassing me by playing Paladin.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

kharaa posted:

I'm well aware Tam-tara's not high stakes, sweetie, that's why I was basically tanking it the whole time as an AST with no worries about being unable to clear. It's still pretty egregiously bad even by the standards of bad DF tanks (or even bad goon tanks who make flimsy excuses for losing threat pre-26 :v:), which is why I shared the story for entertainment.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Whizbang posted:

I usually votekick Paladins for harassing me by playing Paladin.

This but for real.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Shame on all y'all nerds. It sounds like everyone is forgetting what this game is all about. That paladin's outfit is pretty good, so she's doing it right.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
People actually care what you wear pre-60?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Astaldo posted:

People actually care what you wear pre-60?

It makes a difference. Weapon is always the priority followed by chest/legs, helm/gloves/boots, belt, and then accessories. A weapon that is 10+ levels out of date is going to make things significantly slower. Even vendor trash is better than going in way out of date. Everything doesn't need to be HQ for leveling but it's handy.

If you're a goon on excal there's no excuse to ever having poo poo gear. There are goons in every FC that can poo poo out crafted HQ gear at any level and sub 50 the material costs are so low I'll gear out a person for nothing.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

This conversation seems as good a place as any: I'm level 15 (Marauder) at the moment and get the feeling my first dungeon is coming up. Should I be upgrading my gear from any source other than rewards from quests? I'm usually kept with gear close to my current level, the next weapon upgrade coming from the 15 class quest.

Also, what's the proper pulling protocol for dungeons? It probably doesn't matter at this level but while I get the general 'overpower, run through mobs so backs face the squishes, switch targets sometimes' idea, I don't have any ranged skills or effective pulling methods. Or are low-level dungeons more like little kids playing soccer and we'll all just run at the next baddie with no plan?

Last thing, Goon Guilds - I'm new so that means I should head to TPT, is that correct? Is there any actual difference between the three (aside from rank, PBC is #1, DGKK is #2, TPT is #5)? EDIT: Just noticed that the thread about this on ffgoons was last edited in July so maybe the TPT thing is null and void by now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dromal phrenia posted:

Also, what's the proper pulling protocol for dungeons? It probably doesn't matter at this level but while I get the general 'overpower, run through mobs so backs face the squishes, switch targets sometimes' idea, I don't have any ranged skills or effective pulling methods. Or are low-level dungeons more like little kids playing soccer and we'll all just run at the next baddie with no plan?

You've more or less got it. At 15 your class quest will give you a ranged pull. Don't fret too much because the first three dungeons are babby's first, so you'll be fine.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
To add to that, it's pretty likely you'll lose hate against DPS that are being synced. Don't worry about it too much, you don't have your real that generation tools (Butcher's Block, Steel Cyclone, etc.) yet, anyway. And nothing in those dungeons hits hard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can tomahawk a mob as you're running up to get the initial attention. Overpower the pack a couple of times to secure aggro. From there cycle through your enmity combo and tab through the mobs to make sure you still have a solid aggro lead. If you're getting close to losing hate on a couple of mobs, overpower a time or two. You can see how your enmity fares with the rest of the pack by targetting a mob and looking at the party list. The white bar is the enmity bar. Once it fills up someone will steal aggro.

As far as gear goes, quest rewards are pretty solid to keep you on point. You should have upgrades every 5ish levels. Don't be afraid to ask in game for some gear, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
And if DPS is being pissy that you're losing hate (because they're synced and overgeared), it's really up to them to know better than to pull hate off of you, so don't feel bad about their whining. There's more to being a good DPS (albeit not much more...) than just making GBS threads out big numbers.

Also, make sure you understand how to use the threat list to keep track of mobs that you've lost hate on. It's one thing to lose hate, it's another to not notice and not do anything about it.

• Locked thread