Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

JC is down, yeah.

They said they had to restart it "to deal with ongoing issues", but this is the slowest restart ever. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I do recommend spoiler tagging the post you quoted, I don't want to lay out too many plot points for people who haven't played it...

More spoilers:
Basically, like Cythereal said, the story starts you out in Imperial space, but not necessarily affiliated. You eventually get a job offer to kill a Jedi, which is basically a political assassination, but the Empire wants to keep up a facade of adhering to the treaty, so they don't claim responsibility. This gives a pissed-off friend of said Jedi an opening to paint you as a lone psychotic murderer, and they launch a smear campaign that pits the Republic against you. You're basically forced to stick close to the Empire for your own protection until all that gets ironed out. They continue to give you paying work, while the Republic continues to hunt you. This explains why you're working for their side, but you're more or less forced into that role by your circumstances. They're exploiting you, and they do nothing to hide it. You can spend the entire time hating the Empire for putting you in that lovely position, and the story still makes total sense. At the end of it you have a chance to resolve things peacefully with the Republic, clear your name, and put a blaster bolt in the eye of the Sith rear end in a top hat who's been bullying you into fighting his war. The Empire don't exactly come out of it looking like the good guys, but it's basically your choice whether to support them after going through all that crap. And if you do, then you get to be their champion on Makeb I guess. The rest of the story takes pains to be faction-neutral.

You can do the you tried to play me and now you're dead thing even if you're not going LS, and I recommend it highly. But yeah, BH's story is: Act One - The Great Hunt. Act Two - Hunt some bounties. Act three - Hunt some bounties.

I'm going to finish out the old content before moving onto literally any of the 50+ stuff. I think I landed on Illum with two characters when the game came out and got bored right away. Anyway, if I understand the situation post Act 3: The emperor is dead except not really. Does the war that breaks out after act one ever formally end? From my understanding the 50+ plot has the republic and the imperials as frenemies fighting superior foes (darth rear end in a top hat, Revan, and then culminating in the fallen empire in this new expansion.) That background sound about right? With all that in mind, which class makes the most sense to take into the end-game? I mean obvious all of them have various shades of personality, but you'd wanna be playing a fairly patriotic character, right? I mean a smuggler or bounty hunter's just going to be doing this stuff as another gig, no? And I MIIIIGGHT have read some spoilers about the fallen empire That the Sith Emperor controls it? please don't confirm or deny! that suggests The Jedi Knight makes most sense to play Acts 4+ with. Is that the case? I hope not, the JK had precisely one good moment in his entire story-line and it was the very very ending. I guess I could roll a female JK if her voice actress is better and JK is more tightly connected to the end game stuff. I know there's minimal to no class content in the 50+ stuff, but am I right in thinking it makes more sense story-wise with a patriot for either side?

edit: gently caress me, JC is down? How long has that been going on for? Anyone have a clue if it'll be back tonight or not? I was looking forward to finishing another planet or two now that leveling is super fast and companions make you invincible

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 14, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
JC went down around 7:15pm EST "to resolve some issues."

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Just when I finally have a few hours to play...

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's back up.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

shadok posted:

It's back up.

Well okay then.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Server back up: my character seems to have lost the last hour or two of his life.

I was having so much space-combat fun, but now my ship has no equipment, and I have no space missions. :eng99:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Server back up: my character seems to have lost the last hour or two of his life.

I was having so much space-combat fun, but now my ship has no equipment, and I have no space missions. :eng99:

Some people are reporting a 3-hour rollback, but I was on my Warrior hunting trophies on Hoth for Qyzen's recruitment mission right up to the shutdown, and I didn't lose a single one.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

shadok posted:

Some people are reporting a 3-hour rollback, but I was on my Warrior hunting trophies on Hoth for Qyzen's recruitment mission right up to the shutdown, and I didn't lose a single one.

I lost at least the last 30 minutes of play. It doesn't seem like things are very stable lately. First the corpse thing and now servers are going down for random restarts.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
This same thing happened to Harbinger yesterday, some people losing 6 hours of progress, and BW said there was nothing they could do.

EDIT: Kinda thankful I chose to take a break the last few days, though I'm not a bit wary of spending my upcoming Christmas money on a sub with all of these server problems going on. I half expect them to announce the game shutting down or something with all the nonsense lately.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 14, 2015

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ahahaha, oh my god, I finished all of Kaliyo's conversation quests, and in the mails she sends you she types like a teenage girl and for some reason that's incredibly hilarious to me.

Edit: OH WHAT THE gently caress YOU SITH BASTARD I'VE USED KALIYO SINCE HUTTA I'M SHOOTING YOU AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 14, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Speaking of Kaliyo, I made a new agent the other day for general dickin' around, and I decided to design the character to make perfect sense as Kaliyo's BFF. I made a male Rattataki and I'm playing him more like a hitman than a spy. My previous Imperial Agent character was all about squeezing information from people, usually by pretending to be their friend. I'd basically pick any conversation option that said [lie], and barring that, whichever one had a question mark. With this new guy I always pick the [attack] option. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

You're right in that the Jedi Knight makes most sense as the "main character" in post-50 content. That story is more or less built from the ground up to be the big hero story. Second runner-up is Sith Warrior, who also has personal reasons to be involved. All the characters will basically work, but those two feel the most involved in what's going on.

The male and female Knight actors are both passable but not incredible. The main character I played for most of beta was a female knight, so I'm just so drat used to the voice at this point that I barely notice it. I've heard people complain that she's terrible, but it probably depends more than anything on the type of personality you're imagining for the character, and how it matches up to that.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Looks like the reset fixed the GTN search issue, at least for the stuff I've been having problems with anyway. Hopefully courting stuff gets fixed soon too.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, now it's just different stuff that isn't showing. So...lateral move is better than backwards I guess!

Crindee fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 14, 2015

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Are there any euro guilds or goons that are part of euro guilds? Looking for a home for my fresh level 62.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Is there a 10000-word post on the official forums somewhere about which adrenal(s) you should go with? Dulfy's class guides all just seem to note when to use it, but not which to use.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

I've been enjoying my SW's voice (and the male SW I played through Korriban was good as well) but uhh, if those spoilers I read were accurate, wouldn't his/her motivation be very... confused? I guess they're more about the Empire than the Emperor? Or does it seem like you'd be able to ally with him again, maybe in a later chapter? Working with that motivation, Inquisitor could actually be a good compromise between the epic and the mercenary, since presumably The Dark Council takes over the Imperials when the Emperor decides to start up a new civilization for some reason, so you'd be fighting off a political rival, standard Sith business. I'm only just off DK with my SW, but playing her Light Side is hilarious. It's basically not at all less evil, just more "device" and less "destructive." The Male JK's voice works IMO only if you imagine him as super, super loving serious about the Jedi code - like if most Jedi are kind of like zen monks, he's one of those Buddhist priests whose so hardcore against attachment he literally lets himself starve to death if people don't hand him food. (That's my pretentious way of saying the dude can't emote for poo poo.)

But it is a little stupid that SO MUCH was built around "oh Revan doesn't stand a chance at overthrowing the emperor after KoToR 1/2! His only hope is waiting for a new hero to rise, 300 years later!" and then when you see how it plays out The JK doesn't actually accomplish the prophesy, and Revan goes re-evil in the meantime. But uh, maybe in the next expansion! Or the one after that!

ANYWAY all of this is super theoretical because I probably have ~50 hours left or so before I'm done with SW, JC, RT, and finish off the classes... and I'm tempted to run as an evil smuggler because good is dumb and stealth makes the game much, much better.

I'd love to play the postgame stuff as my IA, but my headcanon has him working towards galactic destabilization as a triple agent so the Chiss can be left alone to expand in peace, and I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of the plot.

on an unrelated note: I just finished Balmora on my snarky DS JC. If I had let that apprentice live halfway, would I have been able to avoid killing Darth Lachris? She seemed relatively sane for a Sith Lord and of course all my imp characters hit that, so I was a little sad to see her go.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nerd Of Prey posted:

You're right in that the Jedi Knight makes most sense as the "main character" in post-50 content.

I find the light side Consular fits just as well, and of the four Jedi voice actors, female Consular is my favourite.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crindee posted:

Is there a 10000-word post on the official forums somewhere about which adrenal(s) you should go with? Dulfy's class guides all just seem to note when to use it, but not which to use.

Attack adrenal for DPS, Triage adrenal for heals, and Absorb adrenal for tanks.

This, of course, only applies to progression hard mode/nightmare mode raiding - Now that they're not reusable adrenals are not worth it in content where you don't have to squeeze out every extra minutia of DPS to make a timer in a raid.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Emnity posted:

Are there any euro guilds or goons that are part of euro guilds? Looking for a home for my fresh level 62.

I am playing with a bunch of *gasp* non-goons on The Progenitor (EN-RP) server. They are somewhat active, listed at Top 10 Conquest guilds most of the time, frequently do weekly/hardmode/ops and generally decent and helpful folk. They are not into goon-humour (whatever that maybe) but otherwise not crushingly obnoxious.

The name is Exilsium. Ping Ryssed in game if you want me to ask the guild leader.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 14, 2015

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

We've been having drama issues with our cat-lady run guild on pub side and are gonna be dropping once conquest rolls over. Would anyone be overly opposed if 1) I got my guys into pub guild and 2) invited irl friends who I'm playing with?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

1 is obviously no problem, and 2 should be no big deal either.

I noticed last night the Republic guild is right up around 495 or so though so someone will have to go in and make some space. One of my alts is Gold level, I didn't think to check if that can remove people.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

1 is obviously no problem, and 2 should be no big deal either.

I noticed last night the Republic guild is right up around 495 or so though so someone will have to go in and make some space. One of my alts is Gold level, I didn't think to check if that can remove people.

Nope, currently only Oedzi can clear up members from pub side.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rannison posted:

We've been having drama issues with our cat-lady run guild on pub side and are gonna be dropping once conquest rolls over. Would anyone be overly opposed if 1) I got my guys into pub guild and 2) invited irl friends who I'm playing with?

Heh. Which guild is that?

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Legion of Draconis. The de facto guild leader takes every dark catalyst for "guild bank" so we can "craft for our raid team" and i've "bought all of my loving hilts and barrels because she's using the poo poo for her 20th alt"

It's less of an issue now that we have 6 out of our 8 for HM raiding and can clear EV/KP [we haven't tried others yet, ok] reliably and don't need her but it's still annoying and she cries in teamspeak and ugh

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Nope, currently only Oedzi can clear up members from pub side.

I'll fix this whenever I can log in next. I tried to get in the other night, but the server was down.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rannison posted:

Legion of Draconis. The de facto guild leader takes every dark catalyst for "guild bank" so we can "craft for our raid team" and i've "bought all of my loving hilts and barrels because she's using the poo poo for her 20th alt"

It's less of an issue now that we have 6 out of our 8 for HM raiding and can clear EV/KP [we haven't tried others yet, ok] reliably and don't need her but it's still annoying and she cries in teamspeak and ugh

Yeah as I said before, hit me up if you need someone for a run of something. All of my imperial characters are geared in 216/220 stuff at the least with my Merc healer, Assassin tank, and Sniper all in 6 piece set bonuses and it's all BoL so I can send it to my pub alts if needed.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
And it's going down again right now. This is pretty weird. Whatever problems SWTOR has had over the past four years, server stability hasn't really been one of them.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Digital Osmosis posted:

I've been enjoying my SW's voice (and the male SW I played through Korriban was good as well) but uhh, if those spoilers I read were accurate, wouldn't his/her motivation be very... confused?

I was trying to answer you without spoiling any of the stories. Suffice it to say, the Warrior, like the Knight, has a personal history that adds significant weight to the game's later chapters. As I've said before, it's not that other characters don't work in the leading role, just that those two have a way more personal stake in the events that unfold. You asked which character "makes the most sense to take into the end-game" and there's your answer. I can't explain exactly why that is without spoiling the poo poo out of almost every major plot point in the game, but there's your answer.

As far as your character's motivation, it's intentionally ambiguous because that's really up to you as the player to decide.

shadok posted:

I find the light side Consular fits just as well, and of the four Jedi voice actors, female Consular is my favourite.

I guess a decent argument could be made for the consular because of the poo poo that goes down toward the end of their story, but having a few fights with Children of the Emperor is not really on par with the Knight story where both you and your best friend Kira have spent significant time being directly under the Emperor's control, or the Warrior story where you were the chosen embodiment of his wrath. Everybody else is a step or two removed, at least in terms of personal relationships. They all arguably have their own reasons for being there, but there's two class stories that are just empirically more personally connected to pretty much everything post-Makeb.

For Shadow of Revan, I think a really strong case could be made for the Agent as main character, since it's so heavily espionage-themed. There's so much deception and double-dealing going on, you'll be right at home. And of course any character that plays through Shadow of Revan has a justification to be involved in KotFE, because of your relationship with Lana Beniko if nothing else. So there's really no wrong door into KotFE, but some are just more direct than others.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I was trying to answer you without spoiling any of the stories. Suffice it to say, the Warrior, like the Knight, has a personal history that adds significant weight to the game's later chapters. As I've said before, it's not that other characters don't work in the leading role, just that those two have a way more personal stake in the events that unfold. You asked which character "makes the most sense to take into the end-game" and there's your answer. I can't explain exactly why that is without spoiling the poo poo out of almost every major plot point in the game, but there's your answer.

As far as your character's motivation, it's intentionally ambiguous because that's really up to you as the player to decide.

Personally, I feel KotFE's story works better if your PC doesn't have a personal history. I like the flavor it adds as a non-Force class that you're to some extent the Eternal Empire's self-made monster who likely wouldn't have become a significant problem for Arcann or Valkorion at all if they hadn't deliberately sought you out and gotten more than they bargained for.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Have the servers stopped making GBS threads the bed yet? Is it safe to do anything without fear of more rollbacks?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I guess a decent argument could be made for the consular because of the poo poo that goes down toward the end of their story, but having a few fights with Children of the Emperor is not really on par with the Knight story where both you and your best friend Kira have spent significant time being directly under the Emperor's control, or the Warrior story where you were the chosen embodiment of his wrath. Everybody else is a step or two removed, at least in terms of personal relationships. They all arguably have their own reasons for being there, but there's two class stories that are just empirically more personally connected to pretty much everything post-Makeb.

For Shadow of Revan, I think a really strong case could be made for the Agent as main character, since it's so heavily espionage-themed. There's so much deception and double-dealing going on, you'll be right at home. And of course any character that plays through Shadow of Revan has a justification to be involved in KotFE, because of your relationship with Lana Beniko if nothing else. So there's really no wrong door into KotFE, but some are just more direct than others.

It's okay, I stayed up till 5am on wookiepedia and spoiled just about everything there is, so I know about the whole Emperor's Wrath becoming Empire's Wrath thing. I had an incredibly fun time with my agent and would love to keep picking [flirt]s with my superior officers, even though loving nothing came of all those times I hit on Watcher 2 / Keeper and I really like Bertie whathisnames's cold performance, he reminds me a lot of Craig's Bond... plus with Sith Intelligence being involved in the alliance with the republic from the beginning, my character being a triple-agent (SIS and SI both think I'm a double agent but but really I'm all about the Chiss) and with the Eternal Empire being some apparently galaxy-threatening poo poo and not just another phase in the Galatic War the Chiss were quietly profiting from it might make sense to use him. Or gently caress, maybe I'll roll a female IA just to play through the best story again, leveling takes like twenty seconds now. Although I don't think there's any way I could go through the romance with that creepy bug dude. Are all the pre-50 male love interests so loving boring? I'm also thinking about how they stick you with loving CORSO if you're a girl-smuggler, and Torian, who my BH flirted with once or twice to make uncomfortable and who later proposed marriage despite sounding like he was half her age.

Anyway thanks for the story-chat guys.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Digital Osmosis posted:

and Torian, who my BH flirted with once or twice to make uncomfortable and who later proposed marriage despite sounding like he was half her age.

According to Bioware's own encyclopedia thing on the game, Torian and Mako are the only teenage companions in the game. :v: IIRC Torian's canonically 18 and Mako's 19.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Cythereal posted:

According to Bioware's own encyclopedia thing on the game, Torian and Mako are the only teenage companions in the game. :v: IIRC Torian's canonically 18 and Mako's 19.

Goes some way to explain Torian's awful obsession with ~honourable space bushido~. I don't think he ever left my ship in my bounty hunter playthrough.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

peer posted:

Goes some way to explain Torian's awful obsession with ~honourable space bushido~. I don't think he ever left my ship in my bounty hunter playthrough.

if you didn't do a female bounty hunter and girl power with mako, you did it wrong.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Cythereal posted:

Funny that you can hook the two of them up

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Telex posted:

if you didn't do a female bounty hunter and girl power with mako, you did it wrong.

Cythereal posted:

It's why I love the fact that Mako is the romance option, and you can make Bounty Hunters look old, grizzled, and as hell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bait and Swatch posted:

Funny that you can hook the two of them up

And they break up eventually.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

Although I don't think there's any way I could go through the romance with that creepy bug dude

In the cesspool of vanilla SWToR romances, Vector is one of the few that isn't complete garbage.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gasoline posted:

In the cesspool of vanilla SWToR romances, Vector is one of the few that isn't complete garbage.

Really? I'd have said that Rapebug Man would be among the top creepy romances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Really? I'd have said that Rapebug Man would be among the top creepy romances.

Didn't come across like that to me at the time :shrug:

• Locked thread