Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
That FDS pirate skin is beautiful as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Natsuumi posted:

Dropship is gonna be my comedy Horizons planet landing ship because I have nothing else to spend my money on.

Unfortunately the Dropship keeps its awful badge on planetary surfaces too, it only drops right into the ground. The Federal Gunship is a better ship planetside than the Dropship.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That FDS pirate skin is beautiful as gently caress.

The Viper comes pretty close. Here's the whole set: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteLivery/search?q=pirate&restrict_sr=on

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

I really wish we could have DF skins and badges.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mitchicon posted:

I really wish we could have DF skins and badges.

We will probably have irl coffee mugs before we ever get in game decals.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

We will probably have irl coffee mugs before we ever get in game decals.

Vistaprint will gladly make irl coffee mugs if you have a transparent DF logo. $12 USD.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So here's the Cobra III I've found myself in: http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4D4D3D3D3D4C1b1b2424000m485e2f2o2i01.AwRj4yKA.AwhMIyIRnYg=?bn=My%20Cobra

I put it together with the idea that some soothing exploration while I watch TV would be the ticket to a relaxing time but as it turns out the profit from exploration is digustingly small compared to the way I made money to put the ship together in the first place: hanging out in high intensity resource extraction places and waiting for some stupid wanted sidewinder to pay out a 200k bounty. How should I start upgrading the various pieces to be more effective at doing that?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
When are the going to add basic npc communication? Have they said which season? It seems like the feature which would have the best cost/benefit to produce yet they're inexplicably implementing airless planet landing first.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Cowcaster posted:

So here's the Cobra III I've found myself in: http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/04D4D4D3D3D3D4C1b1b2424000m485e2f2o2i01.AwRj4yKA.AwhMIyIRnYg=?bn=My%20Cobra

I put it together with the idea that some soothing exploration while I watch TV would be the ticket to a relaxing time but as it turns out the profit from exploration is digustingly small compared to the way I made money to put the ship together in the first place: hanging out in high intensity resource extraction places and waiting for some stupid wanted sidewinder to pay out a 200k bounty. How should I start upgrading the various pieces to be more effective at doing that?

If you intention is to fit your Cobra for combat, I suggest A-rating your Power Distributor, Power Plant, and Thrusters in that order - in particular, get the biggest Power Distributor you can afford. With an A-rated Power Plant, you'll be able to run 2 gimballed beams in the medium slots, and either pulse or multicannons in the small slots.

You can free up a some tonnage and power by dropping the Detailed Surface Scanner, and your can downgrade the Discovery Scanner back down to Basic.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Ahead of Horizons I've added another gig or so of music to Shazbot Syndicate if (mostly) synthwave is your jam.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cool, cool. Apparently plasma accelerators fit in medium slots, are those worth it for PvE? Or are beams better?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cowcaster posted:

Cool, cool. Apparently plasma accelerators fit in medium slots, are those worth it for PvE? Or are beams better?

PACs are strictly for taking on bigger targets. They can do some extreme damage if you can hit the right things but I'd say beams and pacs are for different purposes. Beams are for melting, pacs are for smashing. You'd be pressed for power on most ships if you try to run both beams and pacs at the same time although it can be done.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is that as viable now that power cores don't pop as easily?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KakerMix posted:

PACs are strictly for taking on bigger targets. They can do some extreme damage if you can hit the right things but I'd say beams and pacs are for different purposes. Beams are for melting, pacs are for smashing. You'd be pressed for power on most ships if you try to run both beams and pacs at the same time although it can be done.

Cool. The PGS thread makes it sound like railguns and plasma accelerators are the cream of the crop when it comes to weaponry, just that the ammo count on the former makes it lousy for PvE hunting. It doesn't really mention anything about the latter besides "it's awesome, but has punishing heat levels" but it looks like from the video the travel time is slow as hell and not great for hunting.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I've got a question about how long bounties last. It says 5 days, does that mean a full 120 in-game hours?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kramjacks posted:

I've got a question about how long bounties last. It says 5 days, does that mean a full 120 in-game hours?

Everything in the game takes place and progresses in real-time including hours/days/weeks/months just shifted like 1300 years into the future.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Cowcaster posted:

Cool. The PGS thread makes it sound like railguns and plasma accelerators are the cream of the crop when it comes to weaponry, just that the ammo count on the former makes it lousy for PvE hunting. It doesn't really mention anything about the latter besides "it's awesome, but has punishing heat levels" but it looks like from the video the travel time is slow as hell and not great for hunting.

The most reliable - but most boring - weapons are Pulse lasers, which probably have the highest sustained damage output over time, unless you have power to spare, in which case beams probably have the edge. PACs and Railguns are sexy but impractical and very hard to hit with, to boot.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kramjacks posted:

Space Skeleton posted:

Everything in the game takes place and progresses in real-time including hours/days/weeks/months just shifted like 1300 years into the future.

Worth noting: This applies to missions as well, so don't take a mission with a 1-2 hour duration on it right before server maintenance. :v:

Also worth noting: Bounties tend to turn into "Dormant Bounties" with another 7D timer on it after the bounty timer ticks down. If a "system authority" ship in the system that you have the bounty in scans you, it'll flip from "dormant" back to an active bounty with the full 7D duration on it, again.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Worth noting: This applies to missions as well, so don't take a mission with a 1-2 hour duration on it right before server maintenance. :v:

Also worth noting: Bounties tend to turn into "Dormant Bounties" with another 7D timer on it after the bounty timer ticks down. If a "system authority" ship in the system that you have the bounty in scans you, it'll flip from "dormant" back to an active bounty with the full 7D duration on it, again.

A good way to make money as a newb is to fit a Kill Warrant Scanner and go ask a goon if you can blow them up. A lot of us have bounties in varying degrees of hugeness because of Cop Killing and whatnot, but you'll need the KWS to get them because they're spread across multiple systems and/or dormant.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Unfortunately the Dropship keeps its awful badge on planetary surfaces too, it only drops right into the ground. The Federal Gunship is a better ship planetside than the Dropship.

God that's disappointing. FDS was supposed to be a ground assault champion :sigh:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SciFiDownBeat posted:

God that's disappointing. FDS was supposed to be a ground assault champion :sigh:
It is though.

Just not in a way conducive to taking off again.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I've been rolling with dual class 2 railguns on my Vulture and loving it except for the stupidly low ammo limit. It would make a lot of sense to be able to use an internal compartment to store more ammo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SciFiDownBeat posted:

who say's it's not?

:happyelf:

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Will Frontier ever save the FD, or is it always going to be a sad gimmick?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Frontier should give us a hilarious short story about why it's so bad. It's the space F35.

The navy want it to dogfight, the marines want a dropship, the air force wants it to bomb planets...

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Strategic Tea posted:

Frontier should give us a hilarious short story about why it's so bad. It's the space F35.

The navy want it to dogfight, the marines want a dropship, the air force wants it to bomb planets...

And at least a thousand politicians of varying statures will not allow it to die because CoreDyn runs the manufacturing plants in their constituencies in poorly thought out locations requiring shipping parts back and forth across the Federation in a gordian knot of supply lines.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Mitchicon posted:

Will Frontier ever save the FD, or is it always going to be a sad gimmick?

I thought the FAS was intended to be the FD Mk II?

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

DarthBlingBling posted:

Probably. I'm trying to get the FAS, but I'm stuck at Midshipman and can't find any other promotion opportunities because Frontier hates me.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

DarthBlingBling posted:

All three ships are major variations on the same basic ship. If the Dropship has a niche, it either has not been implemented yet or is simply a bad design regulated to gimmicks, decoys, or experienced pilot.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
The FD does look kinda cool with the pirate skin, that's a plus I guess

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Literally Kermit posted:

All three ships are major variations on the same basic ship. If the Dropship has a niche, it either has not been implemented yet or is simply a bad design regulated to gimmicks, decoys, or experienced pilot.

I always figured the Dropship was supposed to be an Orca with armour and guns instead of a minigolf course and cocktail bar but as there's no passengers yet...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I hope they go through eventually with a balancing pass on all the ships.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope that we can use the Orca's minigolf course once we get the ability to walk around our ships :v:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Given the new ships for Horizons I don't.

They'll end up listening to the '84 grognards and making every ship terrible.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hands off my Clipper

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Xae posted:

Given the new ships for Horizons I don't.

They'll end up listening to the '84 grognards and making every ship terrible.

The new ships are so loving bad that even the brown sea has generally rejected them, though of course there are still some people who swear blind that they think that the new ships are all great and that it's a good thing that some ships are just plain worse than others while being more expensive.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

The new ships are so loving bad that even the brown sea has generally rejected them, though of course there are still some people who swear blind that they think that the new ships are all great and that it's a good thing that some ships are just plain worse than others while being more expensive.

The Cutter will be the new go-to trader though, right? The rank requirements seem too steep to me but the cargo capacity is crazy.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

The Corvette seems okay though?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Libluini posted:

Those sadly don't exist.

They just haven't been proven yet! White holes do fit into general relativity though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HiroProtagonist posted:

The Corvette seems okay though?

the corvette is basically a shittier, less-well-armored anaconda until and unless they get around to implementing Huge weapons that don't suck. the lack of class 4 lasers means that the slots are generally wasted except for niche builds, and since the 'vette sacrifices 2 Larges for 1 Huge, it's just a straight downgrade in the weapons department.

• Locked thread