Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

How far technology has come...

The ddg 1000 is the only thing that got skinnier in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Laranzu posted:

The ddg 1000 is the only thing that got skinnier in America.

Except it's huge. 50% more displacement than a Ticonderoga and 60% more than an Arleigh Burke. And longer than half of our amphibs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Except it's huge. 50% more displacement than a Ticonderoga and 60% more than an Arleigh Burke. And longer than half of our amphibs.

Yeah, but it looks skinny and that's all you need for ship tindr or grindr or whatever

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
sailr

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
swipe left for stds, swipe right for tricareatops you divorce in 10 years

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If it's that much huger why are they still calling them destroyers?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Could have asked the same about Spruance class.
At this point, I have no idea why a ship is classified one way or another.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We need Dreadnoughts and Ship of Lines back.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

LingcodKilla posted:

Ships of the Line carried between 64 and 100 guns.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If you count side arms I'm sure we can get there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/01/battleship-history/

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LingcodKilla posted:

Because originally they were intended to be a near one for one replacement for the BURKEs.

In reality though, ship classifications these days are pretty meaningless.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I got my offer letter, so I actually have a big boy job lined up. Now comes trying to sell my house and move in a month.

Don't worry guys, I'm going to fix the LCS program!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Where are you now? The winter market can be tough.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

Ships of the Line carried between 64 and 100 guns.

So pretty much make a massive carrier-like ship that just fires a gently caress you and everyone around you load of missiles. That'd be pretty bitchin.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pandasmores posted:

So pretty much make a massive carrier-like ship that just fires a gently caress you and everyone around you load of missiles. That'd be pretty bitchin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_ship

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

They had some Landing craft tank that had all the tanks on it with multiple rocket launchers that would be used before the tanks were let off on the beach.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Where are you now? The winter market can be tough.

Wisconsin. I'm actually kind of counting on the house not selling until closer to June, I don't want to pull my daughter out of school and I'll only be working about three hours away so it's not a huge deal for me to spend the week up north and come down on the weekends.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh Lordy ok.

I'm looking at moving to Port Orchard right now and I'm kinda surprised that a "fast" market for them at the 400k range is 6 months.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh Lordy ok.

I'm looking at moving to Port Orchard right now and I'm kinda surprised that a "fast" market for them at the 400k range is 6 months.

Surprised in a good or bad way? My only concern with selling is that there's a ton of inventory around here. We're the biggest lot in the area though and have a finished basement with a full bath down there and are willing to price the house to move since we bought it so cheap. I guess worst case scenario is we keep it and rent it, which would be kind of terrible because I'm fairly certain I won't be able to get another VA loan until I sell this place.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Six months is forever.
If you don't bother to remove the dead hooker before putting your under a million house it may take up to a month. If you are actually near the main freeways in the Bay Area a week is possible.

Your place sounds nice. I'm sure if it stands out it will move.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Six months is forever.
If you don't bother to remove the dead hooker before putting your under a million house it may take up to a month. If you are actually near the main freeways in the Bay Area a week is possible.

Your place sounds nice. I'm sure if it stands out it will move.

Gotcha.

The problem is my place is one of a billion cookie cutter suburbia hell type homes. I've got a good realtor which is half of the battle but it's still nerve wracking to think about.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh Lordy ok.

it's because lol @ a $400k home when the median household income is $62k in kitsap and per capita is $31k

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I know I know. The houses move fast in the 200-350 range. Looks like 2 months or so.

I am simply not use to affordable housing. The concept is strange. Was a beautiful area when I visited last month but you appear to be under water right now.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I know I know. The houses move fast in the 200-350 range. Looks like 2 months or so.

I am simply not use to affordable housing. The concept is strange. Was a beautiful area when I visited last month but you appear to be under water right now.

Kitsap is faring pretty well, considering. Because of the geology and topography here, flooding is minimal and extremely localized. The flood plains around the Snohomish/Skokomish/Skykomish rivers get pretty nuts, though.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I'm sitting here doing my get out of the Navy eval, and having absolutely nothing to put on this since we just debriefed our regular evals. All attempts at hilarity have been chopped and sent back.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
You know you can just do a letter of extension if it's less then 90 days since your last eval right?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

You know you can just do a letter of extension if it's less then 90 days since your last eval right?

Yea. So the thing is I start terminal Jan 25th, my actual EAOS is March 20th. Since the eval period is technically Nov 15th to March 20th, I don't fit in that window. According to admin of course.

So I've got the last two weeks in November, when I was doing T/GPS and going TAD on interviews, the first two weeks of December, then we have standdown until the second week of January, and I've got roughly two weeks in January. So essentially an eval covering 4 months is actually covering 4 weeks.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

This was my initial thought and recommendation but, I am going to say dollar-to-donuts that he's got terminal leave saved up that will push that to 90+ days.

Edit: Welp, that's what I get for not refreshing before posting.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea. So the thing is I start terminal Jan 25th, my actual EAOS is March 20th. Since the eval period is technically Nov 15th to March 20th, I don't fit in that window. According to admin of course.

So I've got the last two weeks in November, when I was doing T/GPS and going TAD on interviews, the first two weeks of December, then we have standdown until the second week of January, and I've got roughly two weeks in January. So essentially an eval covering 4 months is actually covering 4 weeks.
code:
Evaluation submitted for administrative purposes to cover service member's transition and terminal leave period.

PO1 Book is an outstanding Sailor and has served in an exemplary manner. His/her work ethic and [INSERT POSITIVE CHARACTER TRAITS] will serve him/her well in any future endeavors.
Maybe you already tried that and they kicked it back, but seriously, who on the planet will ever give half a poo poo about a 4-month terminal eval? Doesn't admin have some kind of boilerplate thing they can put in there?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was able to throw some stuff on there that wasn't on my actual eval, should be good to go. I'm sure the selres Chief's board will be really interested in what I did my last four months (Weeks) of active duty :lol:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

I was able to throw some stuff on there that wasn't on my actual eval, should be good to go. I'm sure the selres Chief's board will be really interested in what I did my last four months (Weeks) of active duty :lol:

I'm glad my last E5 Eval won't make it to the Chiefs' Board. I came off a deployment and had an LOD injury. Proceed to 7 months of surgery and recovery. Duties: Percocet. Collateral Duties: Flexoril/Ibuprofen. Volunteer Activities: The Kraken, Aspercreme, Ice Packs. Major activities: Not sleeping. Drooling somewhat. Re-learning how to operate major muscle groups.

I guess the bonus news is that I (as a reservist) got a 186-day A school into a rate that's promoting and finally made E-6. I've spent more of my military career as an E-5 than anything else, by a long margin. I've got six straight 80.00 exam scores with 999 multiples.

The super fun times happened when I took my exam, got the results in the NAVADMIN, got the congratulations call from my CO, my SEL, my Chief, and my LPO, then got the call from my NOSC saying "oh yeah, your community manager didn't sign off on your profile sheet. Your exam is invalidated." This after literally two months of trying to contact the detailer, community manager, community enlisted leader, ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about what the HELL this rate is supposed to do in the Reserve Component just to try to figure out what (if anything) happens after I make it through A school. It finally took some Master Chief from RCC emailing about sixty people at once with the subject of "XX1(sel) NAME previously XX2 ADVANCED" message body "XX1(sel) graduated on XXAUG15, well before taking the exam, and passed the exam. There is no reason XX1(sel) cannot advance. I will be contacting the persons responsible for the delay and letting them know the status of XX1. -- SIGNED EMMC <attached smime.p7s>"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm glad my last E5 Eval won't make it to the Chiefs' Board. I came off a deployment and had an LOD injury. Proceed to 7 months of surgery and recovery. Duties: Percocet. Collateral Duties: Flexoril/Ibuprofen. Volunteer Activities: The Kraken, Aspercreme, Ice Packs. Major activities: Not sleeping. Drooling somewhat. Re-learning how to operate major muscle groups.

I guess the bonus news is that I (as a reservist) got a 186-day A school into a rate that's promoting and finally made E-6. I've spent more of my military career as an E-5 than anything else, by a long margin. I've got six straight 80.00 exam scores with 999 multiples.

The super fun times happened when I took my exam, got the results in the NAVADMIN, got the congratulations call from my CO, my SEL, my Chief, and my LPO, then got the call from my NOSC saying "oh yeah, your community manager didn't sign off on your profile sheet. Your exam is invalidated." This after literally two months of trying to contact the detailer, community manager, community enlisted leader, ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about what the HELL this rate is supposed to do in the Reserve Component just to try to figure out what (if anything) happens after I make it through A school. It finally took some Master Chief from RCC emailing about sixty people at once with the subject of "XX1(sel) NAME previously XX2 ADVANCED" message body "XX1(sel) graduated on XXAUG15, well before taking the exam, and passed the exam. There is no reason XX1(sel) cannot advance. I will be contacting the persons responsible for the delay and letting them know the status of XX1. -- SIGNED EMMC <attached smime.p7s>"

Congrats on making first, and also glad you had someone who felt like going to bat for you over some colossal bullshit.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Percocet?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Oxycodone + acetomenophen (tylenol) in one pill.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Congrats on making first, and also glad you had someone who felt like going to bat for you over some colossal bullshit.

Thanks. "some collossal bullshit" is the executive summary of my entire time in the Reserves.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Thank God we don't fire people who gently caress up like they do in the civilian world so we can be assured generations of mouth breathers will handle all ranges of duties in the most incompetent fashion possible in perpetuity

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/13/us/navy-ship-milwaukee-breaks-down/index.html

Lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

quote:

Propulsion: 2 Rolls-Royce MT30 36 MW gas turbines, 2 Colt-Pielstick diesel engines, 4 Rolls-Royce waterjets

obviously this is the fault of the brits

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Glitter in an oil filter isn't usually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Better a chip light on a ship than a helo.

• Locked thread