Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Sigh, I wish they replaced devils's third with star wars videos instead of bloodborne...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Charles Martel posted:

People actually take that poll seriously?

People who are regulars on the gamefaqs message boards. So technically yes but not really.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

People actually take that poll seriously?

I don't know if GameFAQs still does it, but typically there's prizes for the top bracket predictions. I remember the winner of the contest that L Block won got a prize of a 200 or 500 dollar gift certificate that he donated to Child's Play.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Forgall posted:

Sigh, I wish they replaced devils's third with star wars videos instead of bloodborne...

Maybe we'll have a chance tonight? OH can't possibly take a week off...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rodyle posted:

Maybe we'll have a chance tonight? OH can't possibly take a week off...

Well if they stick with the pattern the next non star wars video is Wolfenstein. After that it's time for more bloodborne.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's no reason to have insight anymore is there?

I'm wondering if the insight would've been better put to use on blood shards and chunks if you could buy them at the time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

for some reason people really get into ludwig's charge even though it's bad on purpose

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Forgall posted:

Jeez. Tough crowd.

We try to slot in things wherever they fit. There's no conspiracy to prioritize things over the other, so sadly, just because you might not like an LP, we're not gonna stop it or slow it down. Pat scheduled BB, I scheduled Wolfenstein, and Woolie schedules FFX, and Liam scheduled DT, we basically finished DT weeks ago, so it's been slotted in a while, same thing for FFX. Woolie and I started that MONTHS ago even. BB and Wolfenstein have to kinda fit in where they can.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 14, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You can never please everyone.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A tiny thing I love of the FFX lets play is the dates, lil bit of how the sausage is made seeing the second session taking place four days after the first one, still over a month away from the wedding.

Ahhhh hahahahah that was loving embarrassing

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 14, 2015

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Captain Invictus posted:

You can never please everyone.
People have tried though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it just me or does Devil's third not seem that bad?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cmykjester posted:

No but it's not a position I'm capable of understanding

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

cmykjester posted:

Its a forgettable but decent 30 dollar mid life Xbox 360 game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cmykjester posted:

People wanna watch Pat get his poo poo pushed in by nazis and hunters more

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

cmykjester posted:

That's the thing. I wish it was way WAY worse.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheRealestMatt posted:

That's the thing. I wish it was way WAY worse.

yeah it's pretty much just mediocre and kind of eh until you guys get to a part where the game decides to really gently caress you (every boss fight, five armored guys popping out of nowhere in a cleared out area)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
To me if an action game can't deliver on its main gameplay hook it's a bad loving game

for Devil's Third it's "mix melee and shooting freely!" except that 99% of the time the game forces you into what it wants otherwise the ridiculous enemy damage kills you in seconds, and neither the shooting or melee seem particularly good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pat trying so goddamn hard to land that ludwig's charge-up attack just because it'll do a bunch of damage if it makes the 1% chance to land on an enemy is agonizing.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

cmykjester posted:

The main things that are remarkable about DT's badness is how dated it is, in that it feels like it makes a lot of mistakes earlier console generations' action games made, but have largely not been seen, and how much hot poo poo Itagaki talked about how this game is so amazing it'll change your life and gently caress your mom at the same time. And it turns out to be as bland and plain as the oatmeal from whence it creator emerged.

As to THE HATERS, I'm currently liking every LP that's going on right now, but you know what? That's not always been the case, there's been LPs I've checked out of for whatever reason. And that's OK, because I don't expect 100% hits from anything, and I know during those times where I'm watching less because I don't follow wrestling, or a game isn't clicking for me, for someone else it's their time to watch every single video and love it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Laurence is a surprisingly underwhelming boss.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Woo, two more days till the Smash direct, I kept assuming the 15th was Monday so the Zaibatsu might talk about it, but maybe they'll do a Let's Watch????

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Blockhouse posted:

To me if an action game can't deliver on its main gameplay hook it's a bad loving game

for Devil's Third it's "mix melee and shooting freely!" except that 99% of the time the game forces you into what it wants otherwise the ridiculous enemy damage kills you in seconds, and neither the shooting or melee seem particularly good
The gameplay hook works way better in multiplayer because everyone is actually using every part of the game's controls to the fullest. With no AI forcing you into one style or the other exclusively, it comes off more natural.

The game still runs and looks like rear end, no denying that, but after spending a few hours with the multiplayer the controls are responsive and functional enough that it's still fun. There's a good flow to it that unfortunately isn't readily apparent just from watching because the animations and sounds are so poor.

Campaign is still dumb schlock and I found it's actually way more fun to go through on the easiest difficulty setting because the enemy damage doesn't kill you as fast so you can cut loose more often.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ArclightBorealis posted:

The gameplay hook works way better in multiplayer because everyone is actually using every part of the game's controls to the fullest. With no AI forcing you into one style or the other exclusively, it comes off more natural.

The game still runs and looks like rear end, no denying that, but after spending a few hours with the multiplayer the controls are responsive and functional enough that it's still fun. There's a good flow to it that unfortunately isn't readily apparent just from watching because the animations and sounds are so poor.

Campaign is still dumb schlock and I found it's actually way more fun to go through on the easiest difficulty setting because the enemy damage doesn't kill you as fast so you can cut loose more often.

Yeah, I can see that. There are definitely games that are most fun on easy because you just get to go ham.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't even know if I'd call it schlock . That seems like giving the story way too much credit.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of the LPs going on right now are really good. But Final Fantasy X is better than all of them.

Final Fantasy X was the first a FF game I played so it's kind of nostalgic for me though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

cmykjester posted:

All of the LPs going on right now are really good. But Final Fantasy X is better than all of them.

Final Fantasy X was the first a FF game I played so it's kind of nostalgic for me though.

The FFX playthrough is really making me appreciate all the detail they put into Spira, like how there's no Earth element, and how every animal looks a little aquatic. Lots of good, little details.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was watching a video a couple days with a friend over skype and at the end he mentioned the gamefaqs poll and this exchange happened

I can't believe I was right

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

The FFX playthrough is really making me appreciate all the detail they put into Spira, like how there's no Earth element, and how every animal looks a little aquatic. Lots of good, little details.

I feel like you're getting a little ahead of yourself there. We're still in the starting area by the beach, after all.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Genetic Toaster posted:

imo a Best Friends Play Yakuza 5 video should be nothing but the part where Saejima wrestles a bear.

I cannot abide by bear violence, so instead it should just be the next best thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJkzHX-dRcc

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like you're getting a little ahead of yourself there. We're still in the starting area by the beach, after all.

Maybe, I know I remember a snow area and whatever you call that place with the lightning dodging, but iirc, Spira is still largely tropical/island-y. Maybe it doesn't hold up, we'll see.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
They definitely have some variety in the area types but you're never too far from water for most of the game.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

TheRealestMatt posted:

Jeez. Tough crowd.

We try to slot in things wherever they fit. There's no conspiracy to prioritize things over the other, so sadly, just because you might not like an LP, we're not gonna stop it or slow it down. Pat scheduled BB, I scheduled Wolfenstein, and Woolie schedules FFX, and Liam scheduled DT, we basically finished DT weeks ago, so it's been slotted in a while, same thing for FFX. Woolie and I started that MONTHS ago even. BB and Wolfenstein have to kinda fit in where they can.
Aw man, that was just ambient whining, I don't actually expect you to reschedule anything. No worries.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Every time pat uses that charged stab I die a little inside

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Blockhouse posted:

It's fine though.

I mean he'll learn, someday. Also per his twitter around episodes 8 or 9 there's some house cleaning done and he changes his weapons up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

havenwaters posted:

It's fine though.

I mean he'll learn, someday. Also per his twitter around episodes 8 or 9 there's some house cleaning done and he changes his weapons up.

I'm really excited for that

sword beams everywhere

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I know it's a terrible stereotype for Souls players complaining about people playing the game wrong, but man he was just not having a good batting average with the stab against the boss, and it's not exceptionally more damage per stamina used or anything. I chock these kinds of things to trying to talk and play at the same time, I can see how that would distract you from going off of autopilot and consciously changing your playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like there's a difference between someone's playing the game "wrong" in that they're playing sub-optimally or not how you would and saying someone's playing wrong in that they're just actually playing badly. Either way it's about to be a non-issue (after Pat presumably gets his poo poo pushed in on this next boss five or siz times)

Meanwhile, I am baffled at Matt's hatred of Princess Leia!

e: Pat being unable to even fake saying something nice to Matt for a joke is maybe my new favorite bit on the channel

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 14, 2015