Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think I'm done playing MWO until the next event, or the next wave of aimbot bans comes down. We dropped like 3 or 4 consecutive times against SJR and they weren't even subtle about their cheating.

PGI needs to get this poo poo under control. There's no point even trying to play this game when this crap goes down on the regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm considering getting a SCR-D next and loading it with SRMs for brawling. Is there any real advantage to running Artemis on dumbfire C-SRM6s? Is the reduced spread noticeable if you're just treating the SRMs as shotguns? Non-streak SRMs don't lock on at all so the lockon bonuses would be wasted, right?

How many tons of ammo would you need for six C-SRM6s for your average ~7mn game?

Artemis noticeably tightens the spread so you can get more missiles into a single part. Since many robots have structure buffs it's nice to be able to concentrate the majority of your power to where you want to hit.

As for how much ammo, it depends on how fast and loose you tend to spew missiles. If you're conservative and pick your targets, you can probably get away with less ammo and use the extra tonnage for something else. It's something you'd want to play a few games to find out.

I played again on Bad Mechs with Bad Builds (if you see a blue Awesome-8T with four LPLs, that's probably me). I had lots of fun trolling the voting screens and picking the most unvoted/least desirable options. :laugh:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Pooncha posted:

Artemis noticeably tightens the spread so you can get more missiles into a single part. Since many robots have structure buffs it's nice to be able to concentrate the majority of your power to where you want to hit.

As for how much ammo, it depends on how fast and loose you tend to spew missiles. If you're conservative and pick your targets, you can probably get away with less ammo and use the extra tonnage for something else. It's something you'd want to play a few games to find out.

I played again on Bad Mechs with Bad Builds (if you see a blue Awesome-8T with four LPLs, that's probably me). I had lots of fun trolling the voting screens and picking the most unvoted/least desirable options. :laugh:

That is my absolute favorite bad build. I use an XL375 for extra terribleness.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Had an absolute blast dropping with goons tonight. Going to work on my loadouts so I can be a bit more versatile but I'm really enjoying the 3LPL stormcrow.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Is it worth playing again, I have inconsistently played since the beta. I usually just goofed around with friends, but I was a pretty nasty light mech - cicada guy.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I think I'm done playing MWO until the next event, or the next wave of aimbot bans comes down. We dropped like 3 or 4 consecutive times against SJR and they weren't even subtle about their cheating.

PGI needs to get this poo poo under control. There's no point even trying to play this game when this crap goes down on the regular.

Who, what, why?

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Vorenus posted:

That is my absolute favorite bad build. I use an XL375 for extra terribleness.

I'd slot an XL for fun, but since the engine limit of an -8T is 300, there's no reason not to go standard. :smith:

Sometimes I'd go 2xLPL, 3xMPL, optional BAP. The MPLs need to go on the left arm because of the lower hardpoints.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I think it's pretty telling about how much cheating buys you in this game that a pack of lovely drunk goons in mediocre mechs routinely get matched up against hardcore elite MLG shitbirds.

Or it could be the <2000 players online concurrently thing.

E: Try the 8Q awesome with 2 lpl in the arm, mpl everywhere else. Std 300 and as many heatsink as you can fit. It's hitboxes are bad but it will ruin a mother fucker.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 14, 2015

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

Is it worth playing again, I have inconsistently played since the beta. I usually just goofed around with friends, but I was a pretty nasty light mech - cicada guy.

Yes, come back to us light bro.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby
Let me get that invite into WOL. In as mexicola. Played with you all before back in the Cent-shotty glory days. Then i quit around the snipe/hop fest.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Random Number posted:

I think it's pretty telling about how much cheating buys you in this game that a pack of lovely drunk goons in mediocre mechs routinely get matched up against hardcore elite MLG shitbirds.

It's my favorite part of this whole thing that the actual tryhards still just wade around in the same puddle of poo poo that we do.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Random Number posted:

Or it could be the <2000 players online concurrently thing.

E: Try the 8Q awesome with 2 lpl in the arm, mpl everywhere else. Std 300 and as many heatsink as you can fit. It's hitboxes are bad but it will ruin a mother fucker.

Is this the hack thats like on the first page of google and costs a subscription fee? Cause if so lol even harder.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

kingcom posted:

Is this the hack thats like on the first page of google and costs a subscription fee? Cause if so lol even harder.

yes and it's the same hack from since the early closed beta

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

teepo posted:

yes and it's the same hack from since the early closed beta

Check out my sick hack for known mlg pro game MWO. Only $15 a month?!!?!?!?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Did most mechs keep somewhat similar quirks or am I going to have to look through 40 mech quirks to see what's good?

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Tagichatn posted:

Did most mechs keep somewhat similar quirks or am I going to have to look through 40 mech quirks to see what's good?

They have a PDF somewhere on the MWO site you can look at and find what mech you need, since it's divided by IS weight class and Clan weight class.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Random Number posted:

Well, now. :getin:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
pretty sure i encountered my first cheater since having come back. dude was insta-gibbing our team and both times he focused on me, his laser was locked on my center torso with the laser literally center perfect right below the cockpit

i reported him though i doubt it matters, c'mon PGI

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Uh, I just had a really weird match. The game got stuck on the map loading screen, so I restarted MWO and rejoined. Everybody else in the match was inactive, like they had all disconnected. So I walked up to the enemy and blew up 2 lances. The hit detection seeemed glitchy so I couldn't farm the headshot achievement, but I still got the 8 kills one. I was in a Stalker, so I couldn't get to the last lance in 15 minutes. :(

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Edit: Awful app on phone broke.

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah man, it was particularly bad tonight. At one point two six-mans ran up against each other with an aimbotter and we had members of his own team spectating him and calling him out.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

A.o.D. posted:

How have PGI not fixed this poo poo already? Ive seen a few aimbotters as of late too.

Im wondering if they all paid for this hack or theres some public release out there somewhere, cause since steam launch theres almost one every 2 pub games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

It's built like that to help a new person not overheat constantly.

If you think you can HANDLE THE HEAT you can try this out.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=9f5523549aefa7ce8553cda67411793608757908

Cool, thanks. I was getting a little bored of 4 med lasers + 1 large pulse and want some more dubstep, plus I like having guns in my arms because it looks cooler. How bad is the disadvantage from not having an empty arm to shield?

Anita Dickinme posted:

But I, personally, would go meta and start using SRMs or SSRMs.

That's the plan! I like the Stormcrow and I'm excited to SHOTGUN MISSILES, I just need another 4mil C-bills. :suicide:

Pooncha posted:

I mostly wanted an estimate so I can scrimp a few more C-bills off the price of making a SRM6crow. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 14, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yes, come back to us light bro.

I will probably play once I am done with finals, might be fun I do like the game for all its flaws...

*Edit*

I have all the Jenners, I am pretty sure I have a commando, the ECM Raven, Cicada, firestarter with mg's and a couple hunchbacks I suck in. My biggest problem was always being on teams with terrible assaults that would die and I would get mobbed.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 14, 2015

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
My favorite cheaters are the ones that use the damage modifiers and insta gibbers. Getting one shot with a single splaser is totally not suspicious.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Rape Stink posted:

My favorite cheaters are the ones that use the damage modifiers and insta gibbers. Getting one shot with a single splaser is totally not suspicious.

Totally domed your cockpit in one shot !

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Much as I don't wanna be THAT GUY, I've played with SJR when they still called themselves Smoke Jaguars in MW4 and in MWO before open beta. While I agree their leadership is an egotistical oval office, I'm almost positive none of them cheat. Those guys literally live and breathe these stupid games and hold daily practices for them. I'm not kidding at all, they're probably like zen masters at this stupid poo poo because it is ALL they play. I mean, it's totally possible but unlikely.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Skoll posted:

Much as I don't wanna be THAT GUY, I've played with SJR when they still called themselves Smoke Jaguars in MW4 and in MWO before open beta. While I agree their leadership is an egotistical oval office, I'm almost positive none of them cheat. Those guys literally live and breathe these stupid games and hold daily practices for them. I'm not kidding at all, they're probably like zen masters at this stupid poo poo because it is ALL they play. I mean, it's totally possible but unlikely.

In the 'competitive scene' that there are a few aimbotters, or at least wallhackers which is more important than an aimbot, in most of the teams. It's not an orchestrated thing beyond a couple people who are friends with a couple other people getting it but it's there. This means that there are a really weirdly high percentage of cheaters because the population of MWO is really small.

Also, the ban wave was completely based on watching replays and streams of super obvious hacking so don't expect anyone else to ever get banned. Those 60 people or so are probably it.

Xii posted:

How have PGI not fixed this poo poo already? Ive seen a few aimbotters as of late too.

Im wondering if they all paid for this hack or theres some public release out there somewhere, cause since steam launch theres almost one every 2 pub games.

It's impossible to fix more or less. The hack pretty much has free reign over a bunch of games including MWO and if there are active games with actual money in them who can't deal with it then there's no chance PGI will be able to do anything. The people using it all paid for it and it really got popular in MWO when some community member decided to 'raise awareness' of it because he thought PGI could fix it because he's a moron.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 14, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I hadn't played in a while so decided to try out my AS7-S loaded with nothing but an AC/20 and SRMs. That was way more fun than I was expecting. 5 kills and over 1000 damage before I died, but I'd used nearly all my ammo up so I wasn't bothered. The atlas definitely feels a lot sturdier than it did.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Sputty posted:

The people using it all paid for it and it really got popular in MWO when some community member decided to 'raise awareness' of it because he thought PGI could fix it because he's a moron.

I still chuckle thinking of Lucy Liu's justification for plastering that poo poo with everything but direct links on every mwo outlet with 'It's OK to let people know, because PGI told me they were fixing the problem so it'll be gone any minute now.'

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Last night I saw lasers perfectly tracking leg bone nodes. Human hands don't do that. People were cheating, regardless of your personal opinions of them.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Last night I saw lasers perfectly tracking leg bone nodes. Human hands don't do that. People were cheating, regardless of your personal opinions of them.

Like I said dude, anything is possible. I know their core group are ultra spergs and whatnot when it comes to mech games but it really wouldn't surprise me if some or most did cheat. Ultimately I try to stick low tier so don't much care I guess.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How bad is the disadvantage from not having an empty arm to shield?

Not bad at all, especially with a Stormcrow being a pain to kill. You still want to torso twist (duh) but instead of using one arm as a shield you want to use both to protect your large pulses.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

Not bad at all, especially with a Stormcrow being a pain to kill. You still want to torso twist (duh) but instead of using one arm as a shield you want to use both to protect your large pulses.

Cool. It's going to cost about 500k C-bills to do the upgrade, so I'll wait until I can afford the SRM6 Stormcrow and then upgrade the Lasercrow. Thanks for the help!

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Fil5000 posted:

I hadn't played in a while so decided to try out my AS7-S loaded with nothing but an AC/20 and SRMs. That was way more fun than I was expecting. 5 kills and over 1000 damage before I died, but I'd used nearly all my ammo up so I wasn't bothered. The atlas definitely feels a lot sturdier than it did.

are the Cocks coming out of retirement?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fil5000 posted:

-S and -D-DC both actually feel like proper Atlases now -- alpha push mechs which need to be dealt with immediately before they bring down two robots all by their lonesome

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Pattonesque posted:

-S and -D-DC both actually feel like proper Atlases now -- alpha push mechs which need to be dealt with immediately before they bring down two robots all by their lonesome

A properly built and used Atlas could probably take down or cripple an entire lance by itself honestly. SRMs are in a drat good place and sheer chuftiness, along with their structure quirks and people normally fixating on taking down the right side torso because of the gun, means you're probably going to get plenty of time to make use of them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Zebulon posted:

A properly built and used Atlas could probably take down or cripple an entire lance by itself honestly. SRMs are in a drat good place and sheer chuftiness, along with their structure quirks and people normally fixating on taking down the right side torso because of the gun, means you're probably going to get plenty of time to make use of them.

My gun torso tends to go down so rapidly that I'll just take snapshots with the AC/20 even if I'm beyond ideal range

also, a bunch of competitive players tested LRMs vs. direct fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-JexfPCA8

spoiler: don't play LRMs

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

by.a.teammate posted:

are the Cocks coming out of retirement?

Doubt it, no one else seems fussed. Honestly I can't really imagine trying to play this properly like we did back in the day. I'm glad it seems to be improving but there's no way I'm dumping as many hours into this as I used to.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
i discovered the other day how to check your stats about all of your matches and poo poo.

i like to think i'm pretty good with number stuff and since google automatically parses it into a spreadsheet when i copy paste the whole table, i made a few conclusions about certain weapon that i wanted to share with you guys. this is all based on my own performance at ~400 matches logged with the wide range of poo poo i've used on my shadow hawk and shadow cat:

• the large pulse laser (LPL) is loving broken and super underrated. i am convinced that it is absolutely the best weapon in the game right now, regardless of clan or inner sphere version.

• PPCs are very overrated and not at all worth it compared to the LPL, considering that PPCs are 1-ton heavier, have a much higher heat-per-second, and are harder to aim than LPLs. it's not worth the average damage output per shot (adjusted for accuracy). :rip: MW3

• AC20s are always worth it if you can afford it (i.e. tonnage-wise).

• all missiles are super overrated and only not-awful when you stack a poo poo ton of them on all at once. they by far have the lowest average-damage-dealt-per-shot-fired ratio as well as the lowest average-damage-dealt-per-shot-hit ratio. both ratios are far far less than 1. it doesn't at all justify the tonnage and slots required to make them not suck so hard. so instead of equipping missles and ammo... you're always going to be better off getting an LPL+heat sink(s) with the tonnage you use to stack any missle+ammo.

• AC10 is the lowest you should go in terms of ballistics because the others (ac2 and ac5) just aren't worth the it at all unless you stack them, in which case why not just get an AC20 or some LPLs because they're so loving good.

• the only time to get Large lasers or ER Large lasers instead of an LPL is when you can't afford the heatsinks due to being tonnage blocked.

sorry if this triggers anyone. wanted to share my opinions about my own data.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

My gun torso tends to go down so rapidly that I'll just take snapshots with the AC/20 even if I'm beyond ideal range

also, a bunch of competitive players tested LRMs vs. direct fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-JexfPCA8

spoiler: don't play LRMs

This video makes me want a new mechcommander game so bad.

• Locked thread