Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Taxpayers shell out $1,700 for three beanbags for Julie Bishop's creativity initiative Beanbags were purchased for $590 each to outfit innovationXchange, described by Bishop’s as a ‘gorgeous little funky, hipster, Googly, Facebooky-type place’

labah waaaaste

http://lovesac.com.au

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

promo image caption contest

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The LNP executive has blocked Ian MacFarlane's defection to the National Party.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

adamantium|wang posted:

lol

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

adamantium|wang posted:

Hahaha sucked in

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

adamantium|wang posted:

Hahahaha, suck poo poo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

adamantium|wang posted:

That confused me for a moment as I thought it was approved, but it was only his LNP branch approved his defection

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

adamantium|wang posted:

hahahaha sucks to be him

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

adamantium|wang posted:

lol.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Amazing. I hope this causes no end of trouble in the Coalition.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

adamantium|wang posted:

Would someone please explain the process of switching party allegiance and also who Ian MacFarlane is?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
~~Liberal Chaos~~

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what exactly does that mean, they've got an unhappy troublemaker in the ranks? If they cut him loose he'll go over anyway?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A cartoon in the Australian depicting starving Indians chopping up and eating solar panels sent to the developing nation in an attempt to curb carbon emissions has been condemned as “unequivocally racist”.

Drawn by the veteran cartoonist Bill Leak, Monday’s cartoon was his response to the climate deal signed in Paris at the weekend. India is the world’s fourth-largest greenhouse emitter.

Amanda Wise, an associate professor of sociology at Macquarie University, said in her view the cartoon was shocking and would be unacceptable in the UK, the US or Canada.

“This cartoon is unequivocally racist and draws on very base stereotypes of third world, underdeveloped people who don’t know what to do with technology,” Wise told Guardian Australia.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

EXAKT Science posted:

Would someone please explain the process of switching party allegiance and also who Ian MacFarlane is?

A person runs for a party but you vote for a person not a party. MacFarlane got dumped from a cushy spot in his party so wanted to switch to their symbiotic parasite party because that would get him a cushy job back. His party were pissed but voted that he could leave, once he left the other party could decide if they wanted him and told him to gtfo. So he's burned a *lot* of bridges for nothing because he thought he was smart.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ABC Caption: DJ Scott Ludlam dropping beats

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Don't need a loving professor to tell me a bad cartoon is racist, but good to feel validated I guess

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

The Coalition is a formal agreement between two parties: the Liberals and the Nationals. At the Federal level the Liberals are by far the dominant party, but they make certain concessions to the Nationals because they need their votes; this includes things like the Deputy PM being the head of the Nats. A certain number of ministries go to the Nats too.

When Turnbull took over he dropped Macfarlane from the ministry. Macfarlane wasn't a particularly terrible minister (and actually supported Turnbull in the leadership change), but he was seen as being a bit too much of the Howard-era old guard, and Turnbull wanted some fresh faces. Macfarlane decided to defect to the Nats (possibly with some accomplices), which would increase their numbers to the point where they'd be allocated another ministry. Naturally he would get that ministry.

Except the whole thing blew up in his face because people don't like you gaming the system for your own end, especially when you do it so openly.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Birb Katter posted:

A person runs for a party but you vote for a person not a party. MacFarlane got dumped from a cushy spot in his party so wanted to switch to their symbiotic parasite party because that would get him a cushy job back. His party were pissed but voted that he could leave, once he left the other party could decide if they wanted him and told him to gtfo. So he's burned a *lot* of bridges for nothing because he thought he was smart.

So now does he go back to the Liberals and grovel or what?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doesn't being in the Queensland LNP change things a bit, now that they've merged? He didn't change parties so much as he changed (or tried to) his allegiance to the Nationals in Canberra?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

EXAKT Science posted:

You don't have to have a party affiliation to stay around, we have senators called cross benchers who have 1 person party or are independent. We don't know what is going to happen yet as he said he's going to wait for the new year.

Edit: for example, we have the Motoring Enthusiasts Party as one of those nobody here but me guys.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

EXAKT Science posted:

It's a bit more complicated - in almost every state, the Liberals and the Nationals are separate parties. But in Queensland they amalgamated as a single party, the Liberal National Party (LNP). Queensland Liberals and Nationals caucus with their respective parties when Canberra and identify as separate parties but they're all LNP members.

Which is what makes this so glorious: in any other state the Liberals couldn't stop him quitting and the Nationals desperately want him to join, but since it's all the one party in QLD the Liberal wing of the LNP retain the power to say "gently caress you" back.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Birb Katter posted:

So, he's independent now?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Amethyst posted:

So, he's independent now?

Ian MacFarlane has been called many things, I'm not sure independent has ever been one of them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm not sure if he left the Libs or just got approval (from his local branch) to do so.

He's going to retire or be forced to though.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Maybe he can join PUP

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
This didn't take long

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Tirade posted:

Which is what makes this so glorious: in any other state the Liberals couldn't stop him quitting and the Nationals desperately want him to join, but since it's all the one party in QLD the Liberal wing of the LNP retain the power to say "gently caress you" back.

Which is exactly what they've done. After a 4 hour meeting the move was blocked 14-12.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Macfarlanes options are now a little more dire. He can't affiliate with the nats anymore, and he will find it hard to remain with the liberal party. He can switch to independent but that will pretty much spell doom for his political career because he will basically become another Bob Katter except without the loud mouth, and there's no guarantee he's popular enough in his own right to win the next election as an independent. Besides which, as soon as he switches to independent the LNP will run a candidate against him.

He's doomed, and the Nats in canberra (Barnaby) will be furious.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog on the Moon with a not-racist cartoon:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Points for penguin, points off for lack of kitties.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

SynthOrange posted:

ABC Caption: DJ Scott Ludlam dropping beats

mods namechange to Your Boy DJ S-Ludz please

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Where's the fucken kitties Tink, don't fucken hold out on me

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Look, I am stuck rationing kitty pictures until the end of the year. Besides, at present I don't have access to the kittens. It got temporarily switched to the injured cat growli-cam.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Every time you ration a kitty, an internet dies :qq:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Pickled Tink posted:

Look, I am stuck rationing kitty pictures until the end of the year. Besides, at present I don't have access to the kittens. It got temporarily switched to the injured cat growli-cam.

get your own cat

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Or just stop posting loving first dog, like everyone wishes you would.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Laserface posted:

#notallauspol

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Laserface posted:

Yeah First Dog is fine. It's a nice break from the racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
This was always scheme for the Nats to get back in charge of water policy. This involves loving everyone south of about Murtho. Everyone knows this. Everyone knows that the Murray Darling Basin is hosed. They still keep on with this stuff.

If they put Barnaby in charge of water, I might just drown him in the mud at Murray Bridge.

• Locked thread