Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

pandaK posted:

I tried doing just that too, but all it says is that the resolution is not supported with my monitor.

then it flashes black and nothing changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pandaK posted:

then it flashes black and nothing changes

Recent drivers broke the built in overclock when running multiple monitors.

You want a utility called CRU. Phone posting, so no link, sorry.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

EoRaptor posted:

Recent drivers broke the built in overclock when running multiple monitors.

You want a utility called CRU. Phone posting, so no link, sorry.

Is toastyx the cru thing? It doesn't work

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

If I wanted an IPS with g-sync, 27", >1080p I'm currently stuck between the Acer XB270HU or the Asus ROG PG279Q and both use panels from the same source, and are somewhat plagued with quality control problems, in addition to being absurdly expensive?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Teledahn posted:

If I wanted an IPS with g-sync, 27", >1080p I'm currently stuck between the Acer XB270HU or the Asus ROG PG279Q and both use panels from the same source, and are somewhat plagued with quality control problems, in addition to being absurdly expensive?

Unless you want to go with an even more expensive ultrawide. Yep.

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
The XB271HU is the updated version of the Acer with the same panel as the Asus PG279Q if you can find any of them in stock.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

pandaK posted:

Hey, my crossover managed to overclock to 96hz properly back when I used Windows 7, but now that I've upgraded to 10 it doesn't seem to work anymore. Configuring the toastyx thing to 96hz doesn't give me the option to change it to that in either nvidia's control panel or the regular display panel.

You might be having the same issue I did. Is your CRU set to Custom Extension Block for the resolution?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zest posted:

You might be having the same issue I did. Is your CRU set to Custom Extension Block for the resolution?

No, it's set to Default Extension Block

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

pandaK posted:

No, it's set to Default Extension Block
Something very weird is going on with your poo poo. That pixel clock is about 140Mhz too low for those numbers. Try changing the timing standard to Manual. When I dump those same numbers into mine (980 on 359.06) I get a pixel clock of 386.71Mhz (which also doesn't work because it's a bit too high, but you can turn down the front porch and sync width a good bit without ill effects).

I've had no issues running 1440p@96Hz on my older QNix on a EVGA 980, Win 10, 359.06 drivers, and two other 1080p@60Hz monitors using just NVidia's control panel.

e; with a moment of further investigation, the 241.6Mhz clock in your picture is 1440p@60Hz with default settings. Does it show something >300Hz before you try to test it?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Its about new monitor time for me, and I've got my heart set on a 34" 1440p 21:9.
The X34 Predator seems to be the one to get but :staredog: at the pricing/availability. I've read that the XR341CK (the freesync version) drops frames when you set your refresh rate over 60hz and you have an nvidia card, is this still the case?
Gsync seems nice but I'm not sure if its an extra $500ish nice.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I pulled the trigger on the predator x34 tonight. gently caress seeing over $100 in tax when I checkout.

Fingers crossed that I'm not playing the rma game on these guys.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DrDork posted:

Something very weird is going on with your poo poo. That pixel clock is about 140Mhz too low for those numbers. Try changing the timing standard to Manual. When I dump those same numbers into mine (980 on 359.06) I get a pixel clock of 386.71Mhz (which also doesn't work because it's a bit too high, but you can turn down the front porch and sync width a good bit without ill effects).

I've had no issues running 1440p@96Hz on my older QNix on a EVGA 980, Win 10, 359.06 drivers, and two other 1080p@60Hz monitors using just NVidia's control panel.

e; with a moment of further investigation, the 241.6Mhz clock in your picture is 1440p@60Hz with default settings. Does it show something >300Hz before you try to test it?

Yes, apparently now it is 386Mhz

The issue seems to happen no matter what refresh rate I set it to, whether it's lower or higher than 59-60

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

pandaK posted:

The issue seems to happen no matter what refresh rate I set it to, whether it's lower or higher than 59-60
Sounds like you need a good dose of wiping the drivers out and starting fresh. Grab a copy of your favorite driver cleaner, uninstall those drivers, and then use the Fresh Install option once you get back to installing the latest drivers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Richard M Nixon posted:

I pulled the trigger on the predator x34 tonight. gently caress seeing over $100 in tax when I checkout.

Fingers crossed that I'm not playing the rma game on these guys.

:getin:

I wish you luck in your RMA potentials.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DrDork posted:

Sounds like you need a good dose of wiping the drivers out and starting fresh. Grab a copy of your favorite driver cleaner, uninstall those drivers, and then use the Fresh Install option once you get back to installing the latest drivers.

didn't fix it, still getting the same error. retried using CRU as well, also didn't work.

e: could the fact htat I'm running an N version of Windows 10 mean anything in this? Highly doubt it, but it's probably the thing that's been giving me the most issues so far...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone is looking for a good, no frills 4K monitor I recently picked up the LG 27MU67 27" for $599 @ CanadaComputers and I have to say it beats the poo poo out of the Asus PB278Q I've been using. PLS is nowhere near as good as IPS, at least to my eyes. I couldn't get the ASUS calibrated nearly as good as the LG. I'm also impressed with the sharpness of the LG. Text is insanely clear and sharp without any over sharpening. Almost picked up the UltraWide LG but kinda glad I didn't.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pandaK posted:

Is toastyx the cru thing? It doesn't work

Ah, ToastyX is the guy who wrote it:

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

It does work, it's just incredibly fiddly and the instructions are very unclear.

First, run the pixel clock patcher and reboot.

Then, open up CRU and clean out any listed resolutions:

If you look at the bottom of that screenshot, you'll see 'custom extension block' set. Set yours to the same thing, and hit edit:

Use the add button to add the refresh rate you want. Don't change anything else, just the refresh rate. I'd recommend starting at 96, as the monitor will reliably make that.

Click okay a bunch of times and close CRU

Use the restart64 utility to make the new refresh rate active, or just restart your computer.

If you want to push your monitor further, you can go ahead and try, mine will make 110, but starts to distort colour after about 105, so I just leave it at 96 for now.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

EoRaptor posted:

It does work, it's just incredibly fiddly and the instructions are very unclear.

If you look at the bottom of that screenshot, you'll see 'custom extension block' set. Set yours to the same thing, and hit edit:

Use the add button to add the refresh rate you want. Don't change anything else, just the refresh rate. I'd recommend starting at 96, as the monitor will reliably make that.

Use the restart64 utility to make the new refresh rate active, or just restart your computer.

If you want to push your monitor further, you can go ahead and try, mine will make 110, but starts to distort colour after about 105, so I just leave it at 96 for now.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I got my Qnix back up to 96hz using this. Cheers!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

EoRaptor posted:

This worked, thanks man.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What crowd is the Z35 catering to? 35" and 2560x1080?
Is it aiming at the "legally blind gamer"?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mcbexx posted:

I'm guessing the guy who said that 1920x1080 is fine all the way up to 32" a few pages back.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm guessing the guy who said that 1920x1080 is fine all the way up to 32" a few pages back.

That was me. Several other people who have used that resolution at that size spoke up and said it was fine too. But keep trying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How far do you sit from the screen?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mcbexx posted:

People who dont think they can tell the difference and/or that the tradeoffs will be worth it and literally only play games.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
People who love the retro look of 320x200 era games but want a bigger screen.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Just got my Acer X34. It's hard to describe how big it is in person, having come from a pair of 22" 16:10 monitors. Seriously, I have absolutely no desire to maximize any application I run. You can easily run 3 applications side by side. It's incredible having that much desktop space with out any seams.

Mine doesn't seem to have any imperfections, dead pixels, dust, or any of the other problems that people have reported from the first batch.

Like KakerMix said, the under light is kind of nifty if you set it to white, solid, and turn up the brightness a little. Makes a decent little desk top lamp. It would be cool if it could be controlled like the AlienFX lights from Alienware in games like XCOM, but honestly, that would just be a gimmick.

The image quality is excellent. I have never had an IPS monitor before, so I am very impressed by this. The curve of the screen is very subtle. Enough that the outer edges are a little easier to see, but not enough that it distorts the image or anything.

Mine overclocked to 100Hz and seems to work fine. Gsync is pretty neat, but I don't have many games that push my 980ti hard enough to drop my FPS under 100, so I don't have a solid opinion on it yet.

I knew that 21:9 game support was going to be spotty and require editing ini files and what not. I remember going through the same thing when 16:10 monitors were first becoming popular. Just something to have to deal with for the time being.

All in all, I am very happy with this monitor, which I should be given the price tag.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Problem with 2560x1080 @ 35" is that it makes AA like mandatory. one of the benefits of high res not having to use it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

The image quality is excellent. I have never had an IPS monitor before, so I am very impressed by this. The curve of the screen is very subtle. Enough that the outer edges are a little easier to see, but not enough that it distorts the image or anything.

I knew that 21:9 game support was going to be spotty and require editing ini files and what not. I remember going through the same thing when 16:10 monitors were first becoming popular. Just something to have to deal with for the time being.

Yeah, the curve is really subtle, the difference is more that you don't notice the angle the sides are at because they aren't at a big angle to you.

What games have you needed to edit files for? I haven't needed to do that for any yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, the curve is really subtle, the difference is more that you don't notice the angle the sides are at because they aren't at a big angle to you.

What games have you needed to edit files for? I haven't needed to do that for any yet.

Fallout 4 is probably the biggest example lately.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Ahh. I've been playing games that have been kept up to date better, like KotOR 2 :smuggo:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

xthetenth posted:

So far, Fallout 4 and Marvel Heroes 2015.

GTA V worked fine, so did the new Unreal Tournament. I haven't tested much else yet.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

mcbexx posted:

Me. I game and watch movies and don't need a new graphics card.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

KakerMix posted:

FO4 is so hosed. I have to run it in borderless windowed mode because otherwise the high frame rate causes crashes and buggy physics everywhere. I know it's because of the Gamebryo engine though...

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Just built my new PC and my CrossOver is going great! No dead pixels, a little backlight bleed on the top left, but I can live with that. OCed in Nvidia Control Panel to 96hz with no problems!

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Ordered my x34 from Newegg today. Apparently it is on "back order" (but it said "in stock" when I ordered it) to ship in 5-10 business days. In case anyone is still looking to buy it.

Hoping my girlfriend doesn't immediately break up when me when seeing its ridiculous size and hearing about the insane cost.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Odette posted:

FO4 is so hosed. I have to run it in borderless windowed mode because otherwise the high frame rate causes crashes and buggy physics everywhere. I know it's because of the Gamebryo engine though...
You can lock the framerate to 60 to prevent that. Not sure if you can do it directly through the NVidia control panel, but NVidia Inspector lets you do it nice and easy.

beergod posted:

Hoping my girlfriend doesn't immediately break up when me when seeing its ridiculous size and hearing about the insane cost.
Tell her you got it on sale?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

You can lock the framerate to 60 to prevent that. Not sure if you can do it directly through the NVidia control panel, but NVidia Inspector lets you do it nice and easy.

If you lock the frame rate to 119hz you dont get the stupid lockups and stupidly fast lockpicking screen.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

Tell her you got it on sale?

And show the XR341CK.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I really want to grab a Dell P2715Q for development work, amazon has them for $450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
X34s are back on Amazon for not-price-gouging 1274! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016GNX4SE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1TZFA7P8W8BN7&coliid=I2EBHY7455KRZS
I have to think that there might be a little bit of a price drop coming soon to like 1100/1000 maybe for a post christmas day sale?