Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Commissar Canuck posted:

Had a great time playing in my first Bolt Action tournament yesterday. Despite everything three different players threw at it (including two Japanese suicide spear dudes), my plucky little Crusader tank was never knocked out :britain:

I'd like to do something to the tank paintwise to honour its unlikely survival/tenacity. Anyone have any suggestions?
See if you can get spare helmets and mount them as stowage trophies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I made a battlefield!

6mm Baccus, me and some buddies played this afternoon with the Black Powder rules scaled down from inches to centimeters on about a 4x3 battlefield and it worked out just fine. None of us had played with the rule set before, and decided on a basic scenario where the Union army under Sherman was marching into northern Georgia and advancing into a Confederate ambush commanded by Bragg. Each side had about a division's worth of strength- 2 large or 3 small regiments of line infantry, some skirmishers, an artillery battery and two regiments of cavalry. The federals had a gatling gun and the cavalry had breech-loading carbines, while the rebel units had some veteran bonuses but they had less artillery and two of the pieces were smoothbore:

My friend took command of the Confederate forces and decided his best course of action was to charge blindly forward and hope his artillery could follow along, casualties be damned. It uh, didn't work so well- his cavalry attacked my flank piecemeal and ate a whole bunch of artillery and repeater carbine fire from my dismounted cavalry while my central infantry blob managed to ignore its direct commander's orders and a brigade order from Sherman and stall in the middle doing nothing for a while. A gatling gun and another unit of dismounted cavalry on my right flank traded fire with a veteran unit of rebs while two more small line regiments and a unit of skirmishers rammed up the middle towards my (larger) units, who eventually figured out they were in a battle and opened up on the charging central thrust. Here's the beginning of the headlong Confederate assault:

The rebels called off the attack after one unit of cavalry and a unit of infantry were broken and the rest were shaken after they assaulted the position. A good time was had by all and both of my friends who came over are really excited about the rules and battlefield- next up is to finish all the basing, make some earthworks and fortifications and to paint up the commanders and some casualty markers for shaken units. All in all a pretty nice Sunday of gaming!

Bonus category 6 Catju that attacked the battlefield prior to the engagement:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At that scale that amount and detail of terrain is all you need to have a great looking game.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

At that scale that amount and detail of terrain is all you need to have a great looking game.

I think terrain making might be my favorite part of this venture. :wink:

After I make some fortifications for the rebs to die behind I want to hit up Irregular for some of their buildings, forts and train track-- they have by far the best selection of stuff I found and I want something more solid than printing out paper houses or whatever. I really love the way a 6mm battlefield looks- you definitely get the effect of really detailed 3D map instead of little mans lined up on some scenery and the whole easily outweighs the individual parts.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Well, for force publique, you can't go wrong with max strength squads, Maxim MGs and maybe light field pieces. Probably inexperienced for the lot, and regular for the white officers. At 500 points, you can probably expect a StuG to try and scare you, but not much else.

Besides, people always talk how LMGs are never worth it in Bolt Action (unless you use "Season 2" rules), so you're not missing out.

Yeah, this seems to be the way to go. To answer Thundercloud, I'm not sure they got equipped with much of anything but I might fudge an armoured car for interest.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Endman posted:

Thanks! All of the Footsore minis have great personality to them. I used to always choose plastic over metal, but I think they've sold me on the lead poisoning.

This right here. I used to evangelize plastic but I'm actually really keen on metal right now

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks for the list of tank names! As much as I'd like to give the Crusader the :black101: as gently caress name "Thrasher", I'm leaning towards the appropriately plucky "Oliver." I'll ask some of the local players if they have some spare helmets, too.

One other good thing to come out of the tournament was the fact that no enemy managed to capture my homemade objective:

The last Coca-Cola machine in Western Europe remains in Allied hands, gentlemen.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My flgs has a demo kit for TY down and we have some of the stuff built, the T72s look cool, gotta be said. Made me go all :3: for historical stuff.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Flipswitch posted:

My flgs has a demo kit for TY down and we have some of the stuff built, the T72s look cool, gotta be said. Made me go all :3: for historical stuff.

TY also seems to be simplified compared to FoW and have less "You need this to make a decent list"! Go on, doooo iiiiiit, joiiiin uuuuuus.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Commissar Canuck posted:

Thanks for the list of tank names! As much as I'd like to give the Crusader the :black101: as gently caress name "Thrasher", I'm leaning towards the appropriately plucky "Oliver." I'll ask some of the local players if they have some spare helmets, too.

One other good thing to come out of the tournament was the fact that no enemy managed to capture my homemade objective:

The last Coca-Cola machine in Western Europe remains in Allied hands, gentlemen.
We salute you for your service :britain:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

TY also seems to be simplified compared to FoW and have less "You need this to make a decent list"! Go on, doooo iiiiiit, joiiiin uuuuuus.

I might stall out for more stuff so I can sperg out. Plus I just bought Twilight Struggle to get mah Cold War fix.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Flipswitch posted:

Twilight Struggle

Team Edward or Team Yakov?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yakovlev because I'm an alcoholic.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm slowly working on a historically verisimilitudinous 28mm playset. It is set in northern Italy, 1943-1944, around Rimini. Basically, it's Ghurkas vs Nazis. At this rate, I'll probably be done around 2020. :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looking good, just file off those seams on the figures.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

osirisisdead posted:

I'm slowly working on a historically verisimilitudinous 28mm playset. It is set in northern Italy, 1943-1944, around Rimini. Basically, it's Ghurkas vs Nazis. At this rate, I'll probably be done around 2020. :v:

I built that kit just last week! Our extremely Eastern Front focused gaming group recently got a new member, and he wanted to do Commandos, of all things. One week later we had all manners of lend-lease Shermans, British support guns, British Home Guards and Fallschirmjäger troops all planned out for a what-if Sea Lion campaign! I think we need some kind of professional help.

Anyway, when I don't build Bren Carriers, I managed to finish the second converted Gebirgsjäger platoon. I found the Perry plastic soldiers to have quite realistic (as in shallow) details, especially for the faces, so my first batch ended up quite flat. I tried to avoid that problem through stronger highlights, a hint of purple on the lower lips, and some stubble for added contrast:

Riflemen

MG plus crew

Grizzled section leader and light mortar team

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Grizzled section leader and light mortar team

Back pain can strike at the most inopportune time :(

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

lilljonas posted:

I built that kit just last week!

:eyepop: so we were possibly doing it at the exact same time!!!!!! For the British, I also have a Stuart put together, and have another waiting. The Germans have a StuG/StuH and a Hanomag and a Kubelwagen. I have some vague ideas of what to recreate, but I don't really know exactly what I'm "planning", but I like putting together plastic models of tanks and tiny mans, even when they are very small tanks with just a couple of small machine guns. :v:

It was this map below that inspired me to do something relating to the British Indian army Ghurkas in Northern Italy. I remember reading stories about their nighttime raids, probably in Ambrose, when I was a kid. Then, more recently, I smoked a cig. with a modern day Indian Army Ghurka on the train from Allahabad to Bikaner. The dude was like 5'4", but yoked like a bull. Anyway, when I was doing some random reading after getting into Bolt Action (I have a copy of it and CoC now), I stumbled on these posts and thought it was really rad that Nazis fought Ghurkas, so that's what I'm building.

map: https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-MTO-Cassino/maps/USA-MTO-Cassino-X.jpg

:bravo2:: https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-MTO-Cassino/USA-MTO-Cassino-17.html

quote:

mold lines shitpost

got you to do it :boom:

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Got a ton of painting done this weekend and now almost have a fully painted Finnish army for Bolt Action :toot:

Also made some progress on my Churchill Crocodile, just waiting on some decals:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
stugstugstug

:gifttank:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

stugstugstug

:gifttank:

To Stug is to live.

We only have 3 StuGs at the club, it's shameful.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really like the StuGlogs.

:gifttank: is also a great emoticon.

Also, I've been pondering what heavy tanks to add to either side when I get around to it, and I am thinking that the Crocodile may be just the ticket.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

osirisisdead posted:

I really like the StuGlogs.

:gifttank: is also a great emoticon.

Also, I've been pondering what heavy tanks to add to either side when I get around to it, and I am thinking that the Crocodile may be just the ticket.

I've always loved the look of the Churchill. Our local group has an issue with certain players spamming flamethrower stuff, so the Crocodile will hopefully teach some valuable lessons about playing with fire :downsrim:

For everyone else, I'll just use it as a regular Churchill.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I love the look of WWII era British infantry tanks, sadly they aren't very popular 1:35th scale subjects. I still need a Churchill to polish off my British Lend Lease set.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ensign Expendable posted:

I love the look of WWII era British infantry tanks, sadly they aren't very popular 1:35th scale subjects. I still need a Churchill to polish off my British Lend Lease set.

AFV Club makes the Churchill Mk III, IV, V and VI, and the III and IV AVRE in 1:35

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Too bad they were lovely tanks.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You don't earn the name Queen of the Desert for being a lovely tank :colbert:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
All tanks can be good tanks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Christmas vacation is a great time to plan next years shenanigans.

One project that I am definitely going to carry out is to recover the army that I started out historicals with some 10 years ago: my 28mm samurai. It should be a few hundred miniatures in various stages of painted with scratches and dents, half painted, and plain lead/plastic. They are also based individually, and I'm going to rebase them to 60mmx40mm bases as well.

I thought it would be fitting to start out with one of the units that I painted first, and gave a few new coats.

To:

Now I just have to do this with some 30 more of these, and the first unit will be finished! Much faster than painting up from scratch.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

You don't earn the name Queen of the Desert for being a lovely tank :colbert:

Can we link inline to wikipedia?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You don't need great tanks when you are up against Italian tanks.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's in 1944 near Florence, the Gothic Line offensive. The Germans had long since moved into Northern Italy by then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Churchill was a pretty decent tank when they got to that point really. Slow, but heavily armoured, great cross country and firepower comparable to a Sherman 75 for infantry support with older versions having the 6pdr AT gun instead. The MkI - III were a bit poo poo though, but from the IV onwards it was doing the job just fine.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Churchill is fantastic as infantry support against an entrenched enemy, but it's not a tank fighter. Think of it as a further evolution of the First World War approach to armour.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Funnily enough, if it was against Panthers my money would be on the Churchill for simple visibility benefits. See the milhist thread for why or wait until EE posts here again.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
At least the Churchills have the decency to wait before contact with the enemy is made before bursting into flames.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Arquinsiel posted:

Funnily enough, if it was against Panthers my money would be on the Churchill for simple visibility benefits. See the milhist thread for why or wait until EE posts here again.

Against Panthers my money is always on the weather, mechanical failure, or, failing those, lack of fuel. :v:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It's the Wermabos that is why my Bolt Action German force is Battle of Berlin era, with Luftwaffe infantry, Hitler Youth and Volksturm as well as normal infantry.

People get very enthusiastic about the German fighting machine. Sometimes a little too enthusiastic.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Thundercloud posted:

It's the Wermabos that is why my Bolt Action German force is Battle of Berlin era, with Luftwaffe infantry, Hitler Youth and Volksturm as well as normal infantry.

People get very enthusiastic about the German fighting machine. Sometimes a little too enthusiastic.

I'm trying to get in Blitzkrieg Germans. None of that Stg Panzergrenadier BS, just Heer Veteran Klaus, his Kar98k and whatever StuG I can pass of the Italieri plastic one.

No bicycles, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JcDent posted:

I'm trying to get in Blitzkrieg Germans. None of that Stg Panzergrenadier BS, just Heer Veteran Klaus, his Kar98k and whatever StuG I can pass of the Italieri plastic one.

No bicycles, though!

I am painting bicycle troops for my Slovak Rapid Division and they're amazing