Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

So whatever happened to the predicted thermal throttling apocalypse predicted by some because the 6P uses an 810?

Huawei proved to OPO that making proper heatsinks is, in fact, possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I haven't noticed any performance issues after I've updated some apps and the phone gets warm but I'm not mining bitcoins or anything. So far haven't been burnt by the phone either, so that's a nice feature.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SB35 posted:

The CheckR app only works when conected to a computer and only for A->C cables.

Yes, it was an A/C and connected to both an iMac and a PC.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

So whatever happened to the predicted thermal throttling apocalypse predicted by some because the 6P uses an 810?
I haven't had any thermal issues with mine yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Considering the fact that the Nexus 5x throttles to hell and back on the 808 according to the Anandtech review, it's almost certain that the Nexus 6p does as well.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Are ARM's reference cores usually this bad, or was 2015 just a really bad year for them?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Dark One posted:

Are ARM's reference cores usually this bad, or was 2015 just a really bad year for them?
2015 was bad. Apple went 64-bit, so everyone else had to go 64-bit sooner than they had originally planned because spec sheet warfare.

In 2016 the dust should have settled, Qualcomm and Samsung will be rolling new custom cores, it should be a good year for ARM SOCs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Dark One posted:

The 64 bit thing was part of it, but qualcomm usually uses custom cores and they had to use ARM reference cores for this generation. The 820 will be customized cores again and should be mongo better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, it doesn't matter if it throttles, it matters if it noticeably affects performance.

I wish AnandTech would do a review already.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rastor posted:

2015 was bad. Apple went 64-bit, so everyone else had to go 64-bit sooner than they had originally planned because spec sheet warfare.

In 2016 the dust should have settled, Qualcomm and Samsung will be rolling new custom cores, it should be a good year for ARM SOCs.

Yeah, the 820 will be fine*

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Well, it doesn't matter if it throttles, it matters if it noticeably affects performance.

It could be throttling all the time always and IDGAF because the 6P is the fastest phone I've ever used.

Apparently it throttles after around 30 seconds of benchmarking, but I don't know what real life workloads would be comparable. The sort of things people normally use a smartphone for that are compute intensive for more than a few seconds at a time are handled by the ISP, DSP, or GPU anyway. Maybe some games might do it, but are there games that actually max out a modern smartphone's CPU?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Theris posted:

It could be throttling all the time always and IDGAF because the 6P is the fastest phone I've ever used.

Apparently it throttles after around 30 seconds of benchmarking, but I don't know what real life workloads would be comparable. The sort of things people normally use a smartphone for that are compute intensive for more than a few seconds at a time are handled by the ISP, DSP, or GPU anyway. Maybe some games might do it, but are there games that actually max out a modern smartphone's CPU?

VR/cardboard stuff might.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My 6p is the coolest running phablet I've owned (others being Nexus 6 and Note 3).

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Reverse Centaur posted:

Being "overpriced" doesn't make a phone worse. You're paying more for better hardware on the 6p.

Although my 6p was $50 on contract.
That's true, but the 6P is marginally better than the G4, but over here it's quite a bit more expensive. Outright I paid £299 for the G4 while the 6P costs £450 from Google. Saved me a hole in my wallet :)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Anandtech's review of the OnePlus 2 is up, and it's pretty brutal.

:laugh:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know what's cool? When people post links to articles they want to talk about.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9828/the-oneplus-2-review

quote:

Snapdragon 810's issues are well documented at this point, but the OnePlus 2 ends up being the worst implementation that I've seen, with the Cortex A57 cores never being used at all in circumstances like web browsing or when navigating the UI. It makes the phone feel like a Moto E, which is something I remarked on before even realizing exactly what was wrong with the CPU's behavior. When considering the performance of the OnePlus 2, it's more accurate to think of it as buying a quad core Cortex A53 device than a 4x4 Cortex A57 + Cortex A53 device.

:stare:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My 2014 Moto X has rebooted itself twice in the last week, and offered a bug report each time. I emailed them to myself, but I have no idea what I might want to look for in the 200k+ line file. Anything to keep an eye out for, or should I just pastebin it and give a link here (anything to sanitize?)?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Android logs usually don't have anything too sensitive in them but apps can print anything they want there so YMMV.

If you want to check it yourself skip to the end of the file and look for lines starting with E (for error) and to a lesser extent W (for warning).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Looking for a suggestion:
I'm trying to decide whether I should go with the 16gb Moto X Pure or the 32gb version.

How well does the SDcard as external memory work on Marshmallow?

I'm asking because currently, my 2013 Moto X 32gb has 7 gb available, but the bulk of memory on my phone is used by pictures/videos that I take (9gb). Apps only use 5gb. I'm not sure spending an extra $50 is worth it for 32gb, when I think that an SDcard devoted solely to pictures/whatever (even if its not merged with internal memory) is worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In marshmallow, you have two choices for SD card use. One is portable storage and that works the same way SD cards have for awhile. The app that you need extra space for will have to support storing stuff on external storage.

If you adopt the storage, the storage combines with internal storage and you will be prompted to move existing stuff over to the SD card. Now, the external storage is marked as primary storage and all installs will go there instead of internal storage. It is not clear as to what happens when that storage fills up, if it will automatically go to internal storage or not. If the card dies or you permanently remove it, you are pretty much looking at either a factory reset or a mass app reinstall to fix all lingering issues.

It seems clear that the primary use case for adoptable storage is phones with extremely low internal storage (4 or 8 gb) since you basically forsake the internal storage when you adopt external storage.

My recommendation is to still buy the highest storage device you can afford and just use SD card as portable storage for things like pinning Google music or taking pictures.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm trying to decide whether I should go with the 16gb Moto X Pure or the 32gb version.

I'm asking because currently, my 2013 Moto X 32gb has 7 gb available, but the bulk of memory on my phone is used by pictures/videos that I take (9gb). Apps only use 5gb. I'm not sure spending an extra $50 is worth it for 32gb, when I think that an SDcard devoted solely to pictures/whatever (even if its not merged with internal memory) is worth it.

Will you sell this phone when you upgrade? If yes, it will be almost free to you to upgrade the storage (figure the price difference when you sell will be at least $20, likely a bit more if you upgrade within a year or two).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Doctor Butts posted:

I have a 16GB X Pure and I formatted my SD card as internal storage as soon as it got Android M. I have games, apps, photos, data, etc on there and I've had no issues.

When you format, it does offer to move some stuff for you but it's not very descriptive about what it's moving.

Either way, 16GB winds up being less than 9GB usable with the Pure so you definitely want to get the 32 if you're not planning on merging an SD card (which again has been working great for me. I have a Samsung Pro+ in there for speed)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are reports that Verizon employees are starting to get Marshmallow pushed to the Turbo 2.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

There are reports that Verizon employees are starting to get Marshmallow pushed to the Turbo 2.

Give us 2014 X users Marshmallow, you fucks! :argh:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Wow. That is fast.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

After the horrible 2013 Moto X Lollipop update, I almost feel like not getting updates from Motorola is now a feature.

(I'm bitter)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I do not have any issues with the 2013 Moto X Lollipop update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, my Verizon Moto X 2013 was fine on lollipop. Granted I never used that phone heavily, but it worked the same as KitKat for me.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

After the horrible 2013 Moto X Lollipop update, I almost feel like not getting updates from Motorola is now a feature.

(I'm bitter)

HTC pushed their Lollipop update through for my 820 almost exactly when Marshmallow was released. Biggest thing I remember about the update was having to check in the device information to work out why the update failed. It didn't. They spent all that time making it almost exactly the same as KitKat. Assholes. I was hoping something would be done to rid it of the horrible HTC stock replacement apps.

Speaking of lollipop, I have a retarded question. My TF700T is running ZombiPop (Stop crying) and for the first time I've needed to set up user profiles because my partner's Z2 tablet suffered a truly mysterious broken touch screen. I tried setting up a profile but only the stock apps appear in her profile. What gives? I thought all installed apps appeared between profiles.

I'll be glad when the replacement touch screen arrives even though I hate replacing them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

My poor, poor Turbo (1)

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Has anyone seen wifi issues on the Nexus 5X or 6P? I have a brand new 5X, and randomly the wifi gets stuck in weird, incredibly slow states. My normal speed is around 50-60 both directions (on my laptop and such).

I woke up this morning and my 5X seemed extremely slow. Opening a webpage or the youtube my subscriptions list would take forever or just freeze and never do anything. I did a speed test and got 7.78 down 20.12 up, which was strange. The download speed was jerky & started fast but then slowed down massively.

I reset the wifi and got a good test at 40/20.

Went to work, and came home, did a new test and got 20/1.33, and the upload basically dropped to 0 at the end.
Ran a second test and got 2.94/0.10

Reset the wifi and got 27/18

I tried setting it to force 2.4Ghz (though actually my router doesn't even have 5Ghz).

Looking online I see dozens of other people with issues dating back to the Nexus 5, but the 'solutions' are always just random crap blaming everything under the sun. My Nexus 4 never had any problems ever, my tablet and laptops never have issues either.

Speed tests I've tried on my wifes also brand new 5X are erratic, though I haven't seen it get stuck in quite as bad of a state.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone seen wifi issues on the Nexus 5X or 6P? I have a brand new 5X, and randomly the wifi gets stuck in weird, incredibly slow states. My normal speed is around 50-60 both directions (on my laptop and such).
Speed tests I've tried on my wifes also brand new 5X are erratic, though I haven't seen it get stuck in quite as bad of a state.

Well, FWIW, I have a 5X and haven't noticed any issues with WiFi. However I'm not really sure I would know because I don't do anything on it that requires constant traffic for longer than 5 minutes ( youtube ) and I've never experienced slow-down going to sites or anything on any WiFi. I've done the occasional speedtest but not for testing my phone, just for my connection in general ( out of curiousity ).

I'd hazard a guess if anything it's your own WiFi, especially if unplugging/replugging your router actually improves things. Your work WiFi experience could just be coincidental too or is being intentionally throttled. If you want to get serious you'd have to do concurrent tests with at least 2 other devices over an extended period of time though. I'd say at least 2 weeks, 3-5 times per day being sure to include a few during non-peak hours for all devices in the test, in order to rule out provider, peak time loads on local hubs, and individual device behaviour.

:shrug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Doctor Butts posted:

Every time this gets brought up people jump out of the woodwork to say they didn't have any problems...which isn't really relevant.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

kensei posted:

My poor, poor Turbo (1)

I'm in the same boat with a Moto Maxx. At least they've officially announced that we'll get Marshmellow. Eventually. :unsmith:

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Is the Nexus 5X going to be frustrating in the way that LG is known for?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Every time this gets brought up people jump out of the woodwork to say they didn't have any problems...which isn't really relevant.

Well if they didn't have issues obviously nobody ever could. Thermopyle, why would you lie about such things??

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Safe and Secure! posted:

Is the Nexus 5X going to be frustrating in the way that LG is known for?

Actually, it looks like the 5X has a similar amount of RAM to my 2013 Moto X. Is the 5X's CPU a vast improvement of that of the 2013 Moto X? Because it seems like Android gets more and more resource-hungry with each release, to the point that I wouldn't be guaranteed that it wouldn't take forever to load the home screen a few times a day.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Thermopyle posted:

I don't have any problems with you having problems with the 2013 Moto X Lollipop update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
My fairly new 5X is garbling all the audio that comes out of the upper speaker. is this a known thing? Can I get it fixed under warranty?