Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FishBowlRobot posted:

I was in the mood to watch Noah after watching the clip someone posted awhile ago but it's no longer on Netflix and neither is anything else by Aronofsky, except for Pi. I watched that in high school, and I just watched trailer for The Fountain which has me even more interested in his work. Can anyone recommend something similar to Noah/The Fountain that's currently on Netflix, and is there another digital service that has his movies available?

Noah's on Hulu now if you've got that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Only have Netflix at the moment, but was curious about the best way to explore his work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Prime has what seems to be every episode of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. It may not be something anyone else cares about, but I find the episodes hypnotic in a Bob Ross way.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This is unrelated to anything currently being discussed, but if anime is your thing, like, at all you should check out Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works on Netflix

The plot is pretty dumb (it does take some neat turns and the setting is ridiculously cool, but it's so laden down with Dumb Anime Bullshit that it ends up canceling out) but the plot is basically an excuse for people to beat/shoot/sword the poo poo out of each other, and the show delivers on that in spades

If you want to watch ancient heroes fighting each other in a big dumb anime battle royale, Fate Zero is a much better watch in my opinion. The pacing is a lot tighter, the fights are generally better, and the characters are a lot more interesting. UBW was adapted from a pretty slow burn visual novel and it really doesn't translate to a show format as well as Zero did. If you want to watch something decent don't watch anime.

I've been rewatching a lot of Star Trek:TNG lately and this show really isn't as good as I remembered. The 2 parter where Picard got Borged was pretty amazing though, are there any other episodes as good as those two?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

FishBowlRobot posted:

I was in the mood to watch Noah after watching the clip someone posted awhile ago but it's no longer on Netflix and neither is anything else by Aronofsky, except for Pi. I watched that in high school, and I just watched trailer for The Fountain which has me even more interested in his work. Can anyone recommend something similar to Noah/The Fountain that's currently on Netflix, and is there another digital service that has his movies available?

May or may not help, but Noah is on Amazon Prime.

The Fountain is one of my favorite movies ever, it's definitely with tracking down (as are all of Aronofsky's movies).

Oh and for something with maybe a similar vibe on Netflix, Upstream Color is very good although very methodical in pace, and Kubrick's movies seem like a big time influence.

Accident Underwater fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Accident Underwater posted:

May or may not help, but Noah is on Amazon Prime.

The Fountain is one of my favorite movies ever, it's definitely with tracking down (as are all of Aronofsky's movies).

Oh and for something with maybe a similar vibe on Netflix, Upstream Color is very good although very methodical in pace, and Kubrick's movies seem like a big time influence.

Upstream Color is for those people that watched Primer and thought "Well that was easy to follow, what I really want is a movie that's not quite as linear and obvious what's happening"

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Medullah posted:

Upstream Color is for those people that watched Primer and thought "Well that was easy to follow, what I really want is a movie that's not quite as linear and obvious what's happening"

Upstream Color is a fantastic movie.

Recently watched Suburra. Great movie. Lots of fun. A little heavy perhaps. Italian gangster movie, though not what you think when you hear that description.

Watched all of Detectionists yesterday. Loved it. I really enjoy that mood they strike. Check it out if you want to watch two British guys walk around fields talking about their extremely low-stakes struggles. Funny show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Stir of Echoes 2 up right now on Netflix. Robe Lowe is one of my :allears: actors, I don't know why he sees to constantly remain a B-lister

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lowe#Sex_tape

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Medullah posted:

I consider Primer to be a brain teaser and UC to be an emotions teaser.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

If you want to watch ancient heroes fighting each other in a big dumb anime battle royale, Fate Zero is a much better watch in my opinion. The pacing is a lot tighter, the fights are generally better, and the characters are a lot more interesting. UBW was adapted from a pretty slow burn visual novel and it really doesn't translate to a show format as well as Zero did.

Yeah, like I said upthread Zero kicks its rear end six ways from Sunday in the writing department, but I seriously disagree on the fights- the animation in UBW is just ludicrously gorgeous. It's one of the most beautifully animated things ever put on TV, and the only thing I can think of that tops it (One Punch Man) postdates it.

quote:

If you want to watch something decent don't watch anime.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't need to be explicitly said at this point

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I've been rewatching a lot of Star Trek:TNG lately and this show really isn't as good as I remembered. The 2 parter where Picard got Borged was pretty amazing though, are there any other episodes as good as those two?

The episode where there are four lights.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

All this talk about anime reminded me that Kumiko the Treasure Hunter was awesome and that everyone should see it. It's live-action, but it's Japanese, so eh, close enough. It's a really beautiful film, maybe the best-looking movie I've seen in 2015 aside from maybe Mad Max. Even a shot of Kumiko flushing the innards of a VHS tape down a Japanese toilet is somehow a compelling, memorable image.

It's free on Amazon Prime if you're in the US, and if you don't have Prime it's probably worth the cash to just go ahead and rent it. Seriously one of my favorite movies of the year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Upstream Color is a much much better film than Primer, and I liked Primer.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The cosmic horror mystery type episodes of Star Trek TNG like that one about the crew trying to piece together the room they get teleported into and experimented on via the holodeck or that time loop one are pretty great. The show does a pretty great job of building a creepy atmosphere when it needs to.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 14, 2015

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I got freaked out early on in Upstream Color when The woman first wakes up with the worm infection, she's clearly in pain and horror but she's also making some erotic body gyrations which seemed really incongruous and downright freaky. In retrospect the scene made sense, considering the reproductive theme, but it's still an unnerving image. Very good film.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

wafflesnsegways posted:

The episode where there are four lights.

Seconding this, Chain of Command is the best two-parter in TNG. The Inner Light and Darmok are also really good, though if TNG's mostly not your bag those episodes might not be either.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

coyo7e posted:

Stir of Echoes 2 up right now on Netflix. Robe Lowe is one of my :allears: actors, I don't know why he sees to constantly remain a B-lister however, he's really great and self-aware enough to remain enjoyable in almost anything he works in.

Long-lingering effects of his underage girl sex-tape scandal would be my guess.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you see Wesley or Troys mom in the cold open switch to hard drugs and/or liquor

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ChickenMedium posted:

Long-lingering effects of his underage girl sex-tape scandal would be my guess.
lovely. I always just assumed he had a bad coke habit or something.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Banshee is on Prime. I got my husband to start it last night and he kept watching far later than he should've stayed up. He can't stop saying it's GTA: Amish Country.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BarbarousBertha posted:

Banshee is on Prime. I got my husband to start it last night and he kept watching far later than he should've stayed up. He can't stop saying it's GTA: Amish Country.

I've kinda wanted to play a GTA: Rural for a while now though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
this guide is supposedly good for watching the good TNG episodes though I haven't followed it because I've seen every TNG episode like 3 times

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3#.q29o0xlm4

also a good option is to stop watching TNG, skip to season 3 of DS9 and watch every episode of that and you'll win at star trek

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BarbarousBertha posted:

Banshee is amazing and it should be the most popular show on TV right now.

This isn't even the best fight of the first season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRPaucl8r4

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

cat doter posted:

this guide is supposedly good for watching the good TNG episodes though I haven't followed it because I've seen every TNG episode like 3 times

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3#.q29o0xlm4

also a good option is to stop watching TNG, skip to season 3 of DS9 and watch every episode of that and you'll win at star trek
You're going to want a guide for DS9 as well, unless you enjoy Lwaxana episodes. DS9 has a truckload of awful crap just like every Star Trek series.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

david_a posted:

You're going to want a guide for DS9 as well, unless you enjoy Lwaxana episodes. DS9 has a truckload of awful crap just like every Star Trek series.

there's something kinda different about DS9 when it sucks though, like I can tolerate it much more than TNG's awful episodes because I like most of the cast, whereas with TNG I hate like 90% of those dweebs and just wanna see picard do his thing

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I think I said it in the Banshee thread, but I was on the fence about this show up until this scene, then I was ALL IN.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BarbarousBertha posted:

That's a fairly accurate description. Although to be fair, the plots of most GTA games seem more realistic. But it's a fun show and well done for what it is. Really that and The Knick seem like they should've been on HBO or something rather than Cinemax since they're both really high quality. They don't seem like shows HBO would've passed on entirely, so I can only assume they're trying to build up Cinemax as some sort of prestige TV brand as well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, Banshee is probably a better adaptation of Preacher than the AMC show will be. The premise is ultra similar to the Salvation, TX arc, just with a suave Not Mads Mikkelsen instead of a short, creepy goonlord as the villain.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

My immersion is ruined because I have never been in a crowded room where exactly 100% of the people in attendance are extremely attractive.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

speshl guy posted:

My immersion is ruined because I have never been in a crowded room where exactly 100% of the people in attendance are extremely attractive.
Maybe you should leave the room.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Oh... oh my God... I have been owned :fuckoff:

uhh.. so anyway for those who enjoyed The Man from Nowhere the director has another film on netflix in a similar vein called No Tears For the Dead and it follows a lot of the same beats but manages to be a little darker, at the cost of not being as endearing as the former.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

hahaha

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

speshl guy posted:

Oh... oh my God... I have been owned :fuckoff:

uhh.. so anyway for those who enjoyed The Man from Nowhere the director has another film on netflix in a similar vein called No Tears For the Dead and it follows a lot of the same beats but manages to be a little darker, at the cost of not being as endearing as the former.

I didn't like No Tears at all. The action was well done I guess.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

:golfclap:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there one of those recommended viewing lists for Deep Space 9? The one someone posted for TNG is really making the experience a lot more enjoyable.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I know there's one floating around for The X-Files if someone is looking to expedite a rewatch before the reboot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

weekly font posted:

I know there's one floating around for The X-Files if someone is looking to expedite a rewatch before the reboot.

is there a solid list of the best one off episodes anywhere? Those were always the best.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Iron Crowned posted:

I've kinda wanted to play a GTA: Rural for a while now though.
Did you ever hear about Red Dead Redemption

NESguerilla posted:

is there a solid list of the best one off episodes anywhere? Those were always the best.
My google-fu is strong tonight http://skippable.tumblr.com/post/93538543582/the-x-files

Here's a link to more options if you don't trust that list: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+of+important+x+files+episodes+versus+skippable

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Did the second round of Amazon pickups ever get announced? I really want Edge to get picked up for series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
iZombie is really fun if you want a super silly crime show about a zombie mortician who can have visions of a victims last moments by eating their brains.