Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Breetai posted:

The lock reason makes me wonder, once again, why ANYONE would want to use Reddit as a forum for discussion.

How is that even a reason?

SA threads sometimes get closed for that same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Renegret posted:

oh my god this thread is so good how have I not known about it for so long

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399896&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'd just copied the quote from someplace on the forums I think, I don't even remember reading the original thread. That's amazing.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

It's pretty astounding that she's okay with the fact that she paid a massive amount of interest on her credit card debt while losing out on ~10 years of compounded investment growth for "experiences". And it's not like she's warning people about her foolish mistakes. She's encouraging people to make the same impulsive, poorly thought-out leap that she did when she clearly has a support network that's protecting her from eviction/crippling poverty. Good grief. :psyduck:

There are plenty of other people that followed the same process in their 20s and ended up with a lot more debt. It sounds like she didn't have any crippling student loan debt so she was in a much better position than most. No doubt people will use the article as justification for ending up in a terrible position, but not have the discipline to repay their debts like she did. She's good with money for getting paid to write lovely articles, or perhaps good with having a job/contracts.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
People already force a false dichotomy between "living like a poor" to save money or "actually enjoying life" by not saving any money, at all, ever. This is just more fuel for the fire.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I once saw a quote on some girl's dating profile. From uhh, someone else.. I'd never use one of those sites. "I don't believe in savings accounts"

I think that is to highlight her spontaneity, but it sounds like a good way to wind up in mid-adulthood without anything.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

flynt posted:

That's what stuck out to me. If I'm going to brag about being 14k in debt for experiences, my experiences would include destinations a bit more exciting than Mexico, Las Vegas, and San Diego.

Vegas and San Diego, sure, but there are plenty of exciting places in Mexico. Even more so if you can speak Spanish. Of course, given her other traveling destinations, I'm sure she went to a resort town.

Vegas is indeed hell on earth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So, in the vein of lighting a candle...

I was talking with a friend who made a bunch of money at a fintech company, and we were wondering: if you had $10M to spend in the US to improve financial literacy, what would you do with it?

My answer: bribe every state's education subcommittee to put a bonus question about compound interest on every exam, regardless of subject.

Thoughts? (LMK if I should ask this elsewhere, don't be shy.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

il serpente cosmico posted:

Vegas and San Diego, sure, but there are plenty of exciting places in Mexico. Even more so if you can speak Spanish. Of course, given her other traveling destinations, I'm sure she went to a resort town.

Vegas is indeed hell on earth.

Vegas is good if you spend less than 3 nights, don't gamble, and are prepared to spend a pile of money on shows and food. It's like "the 5-star jetset life" reinterpreted for people terrified of other languages.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Buy my own radio show and talk about Jesus and the government every time someone calls in asking for advice.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

So, in the vein of lighting a candle...

I was talking with a friend who made a bunch of money at a fintech company, and we were wondering: if you had $10M to spend in the US to improve financial literacy, what would you do with it?

My answer: bribe every state's education subcommittee to put a bonus question about compound interest on every exam, regardless of subject.

Thoughts? (LMK if I should ask this elsewhere, don't be shy.)

Make a game where the AI allots you a random amount of money as your salary and a random amount of money as your budget, and then you have 10 minutes to make decisions as to where the money goes (checking/savings/bonds/retirement/etc.). After 10 minutes, the clock goes ahead 30 years and you see how much money you made/lost over your career - your net worth becomes your score that you can upload and compare with others that played the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EugeneJ posted:

Make a game where the AI allots you a random amount of money as your salary and a random amount of money as your budget, and then you have 10 minutes to make decisions as to where the money goes (checking/savings/bonds/retirement/etc.). After 10 minutes, the clock goes ahead 30 years and you see how much money you made/lost over your career - your net worth becomes your score that you can upload and compare with others that played the game.

Lemonade Stand where things are appropriately stacked against you!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Can't really do much without influencing policy. Maybe you could make that happen in one or two school districts directly with that money, but the answer is effectively "lobby Congress" if you're trying to effect change on the national level.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Renegret posted:

oh my god this thread is so good how have I not known about it for so long

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399896&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Jeez, I really hope that person didn't go through with the plan. She doesn't mention how her partner had $20K saved, but given his "terrible" credit and background in corporate coffee, I'm guessing it came from a sudden windfall (inheritance or insurance payout). Suddenly he had $20K burning a hole in his pocket, and he decided to start a business without having a clue as to where to begin. Given his terrible credit, I'll also go ahead and guess that his money could have been put to much better use digging himself out of whatever hole he was assuredly in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

Can't really do much without influencing policy. Maybe you could make that happen in one or two school districts directly with that money, but the answer is effectively "lobby Congress" if you're trying to effect change on the national level.

Does changing one state lead to others changing? I guess it takes a decade to show results, so probably not. $10M doesn't move a major education needle federally.

What would you do instead?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Does changing one state lead to others changing? I guess it takes a decade to show results, so probably not. $10M doesn't move a major education needle federally.

What would you do instead?

Freakanomics had a podcast where a researcher in financial education basically said that it's worthless. IHer basic two points that I remember were that kids don't use any of the knowledge and that the cause and effect of bad financial literacy are separated by long periods of time which people in general are bad at identifying.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Push for a bill that makes everyone's tax returns public knowledge so that it's pointless to try and fake a wealthy lifestyle with luxury goods.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Make a law that 20% of your salary is automatically transferred to a savings account and can only be withdrawn when you reach a specified age.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What about no-lose lotteries? (prize linked savings accounts)

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

Make a law that 20% of your salary is automatically transferred to a savings account and can only be withdrawn when you reach a specified age.

So, Social Security, pretty much?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Way to lose money.

More like mutual funds or something.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Welcome to Australia, except it's currently 9.5% on it's way to 12% by 2025.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you want to change US federal policy, $10 millions will get you like a year of mediocre lobbying. Maybe. You'd need ten times that to get anything done.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

B-but that's communism!! Never mind that it objectively works: since it means I don't get further ahead at the expense of others, it's evil.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

il serpente cosmico posted:

Jeez, I really hope that person didn't go through with the plan. She doesn't mention how her partner had $20K saved, but given his "terrible" credit and background in corporate coffee, I'm guessing it came from a sudden windfall (inheritance or insurance payout). Suddenly he had $20K burning a hole in his pocket, and he decided to start a business without having a clue as to where to begin. Given his terrible credit, I'll also go ahead and guess that his money could have been put to much better use digging himself out of whatever hole he was assuredly in.

I highly doubt she went through with it.

It reads like an idea that had no serious thought, planning, or work put in to make a reality before that thread was posted. I wouldn't be surprised if it was thought up the night before and abandoned just as quickly.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

EugeneJ posted:

I've legit thought about making a simple game like this to teach finance.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

District Selectman posted:

I've legit thought about making a simple game like this to teach finance.

Same, actually. Making it fun would be the tough part, unfortunately.

...but for only $2.99, you can buy a $35,000 loan for your dumb character! Wow!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Direct the funds for in-app purchases to some sort of retirement account in real life.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Same, actually. Making it fun would be the tough part, unfortunately.

...but for only $2.99, you can buy a $35,000 loan for your dumb character! Wow!

But shame then somehow for taking that option. Like they immediately blow 10,000 making similarly poor financial decisions.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I would just have it throw out a pop-up that says "you have just fallen for a get-rich-quick scheme, penalty $2000 at 12% interest"

Meanwhile the programmer gets that sweet sweet microtransaction dosh

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Any pf thread that gets cross linked or hits fp gets locked because the mods have no sense of humor and don't like long joke or pun comment strings even if they're getting gilded or thousands of upvotes

Good. That poo poo sucks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3wrqwm/possibly_scammed_over_23000_and_extremely_worried/

Some dude buys a car online through some shady company, gets scammed out of $23k+. Even drove down to Texas from Ontario to pick up his car that wasn't there lmao

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Barry posted:

Good. That poo poo sucks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3wrqwm/possibly_scammed_over_23000_and_extremely_worried/

Some dude buys a car online through some shady company, gets scammed out of $23k+. Even drove down to Texas from Ontario to pick up his car that wasn't there lmao

Holy crap. This is incredible. That's going to be one very expensive life lesson.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Doesn't even say what type of car he was trying to buy. It's probably a Nissan. not a 40k leased Altima, though

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Greed blinds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The sad part is, even if it is a legit operation (and it could be, just a lovely legit operation with a F BBB rating) if they did go out of business he'd still be hosed.

So much risk. So little payoff. It's like sticking your junk in a random hole on the off chance it feels good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

Doesn't even say what type of car he was trying to buy. It's probably a Nissan. not a 40k leased Altima, though

From one of the replies:

quote:

According to his FB posts, a 2014 bmw 428i.

Which is worth almost double what he "paid."

Fool, money, ect.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Krispy Kareem posted:

The sad part is, even if it is a legit operation (and it could be, just a lovely legit operation with a F BBB rating) if they did go out of business he'd still be hosed.

So much risk. So little payoff. It's like sticking your junk in a random hole on the off chance it feels good.

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

re: Reddit. I resisted posting on or even reading it until earlier this year, despite seeing it referred to online constantly. An acquaintance of mine kept recommending it, suggesting it's my kind of place. I don't think he's a fuckup himself- managed to get a house around age 25, by himself, without a high paying job. I started to imagine it as something of a life-hacker, think outside the norm niche forum.

Now that I've actually explored it a little more, it's like the anti-BFC.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 14, 2015

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BraveUlysses posted:

From one of the replies:

Fool, money, ect.

All I have to do to get this late model BMW for half of the market price is wire $23k to some shady rear end company? Sounds good to me!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

From one of the replies:

Fool, money, ect.

I almost felt bad for the guy because I've known several idiots who think that car auctions are a great way to score hot deals, it's just that those darn dealers don't let the public in on them!

Except it was definitely a red flag in his story that he did not disclose what car he thought he was buying, even after being asked directly. A 2014 428i for $23k screams too good to be true. Not even in the realm of possibly legit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Unless it's a salvage title. In which case you run away as fast as your legs will carry you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I guess that $23K is on it's way to ISIS now.

• Locked thread