Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Why is Wasteland 10 times the cost of stripmine? Is stripmine banned in everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I dont know how people don't find "Free spell when you cast a big creature" to not be "cool enough to be mythic"

Its efficient, splashy, and makes your big splashy spells splashier.

I don't really care what's cool enough to be mythic. That's not what I was complaining about

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Japanese reader confirming that the demon makes you lose four.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Why is Wasteland 10 times the cost of stripmine? Is stripmine banned in everything?

Yes. Strip Mine is only legal in Vintage and EDH, while Wasteland is legal in Legacy as well.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gensuki posted:

Strip Mine is banned in everything and restricted in Vintage. Wasteland is a 4 of in most Legacy decks.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

thank god, that would be insane. still a good card that you can build around avoiding the downside.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Alaan posted:

So in all this spoiler excitement I missed it. what is Caleb getting for his invitational token?

9/10 says it'll be an eyesore for the entire time whatever card makes it is played in Standard. :v:

Invitational tokens are all ugly. :colbert:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Strip Mine might also have a higher supply than Wasteland given it has actually been reprinted in white borders. Dunno enough about print runs to say for sure though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

whydirt posted:

Strip Mine might also have a higher supply than Wasteland given it has actually been reprinted in white borders. Dunno enough about print runs to say for sure though.

4 different versions in Antiquities at Uncommon. 1 in 4th Edition at Uncommon. 1 in Anthologies. And it was in FTV: Exiled.

Vs. Wasteland's single printing in Tempest at Uncommon and the Judge and Player Rewards versions from a while back (2010 and 2001 respectively).

There's probably a fair amount more Strip Mines out there.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cernunnos posted:

4 different versions in Antiquities at Uncommon. 1 in 4th Edition at Uncommon. 1 in Anthologies. And it was in FTV: Exiled.

Vs. Wasteland's single printing in Tempest at Uncommon and the Judge and Player Rewards versions from a while back (2010 and 2001 respectively).

There's probably a fair amount more Strip Mines out there.

2 Judge Wastelands!

Alaan posted:

So in all this spoiler excitement I missed it. what is Caleb getting for his invitational token?

Stangg.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

2 Judge Wastelands!

Stangg.

That's kind of fabulous if entirely silly.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I only have 1 edh deck and it's Stangg.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BizarroAzrael posted:

Don't know about Kalitas, his persistent effect seems really good, but only against certain decks. I suppose with lifelink he can pressure a chump block to get a token and enable the activated ability, but the two best decks right now either have Jack and only a handful of other creatures, or Gideon who makes tokens all day.

He ruins Aristocrats decks that can't blow one up as soon as he's on the board (exile bypasses "dies" triggers) while still being a pretty playable card even without relying getting maximum value out of his ability. There's a lot of graveyard play in standard and creatures dying is a normal part of most games.

He might spend more time in the sideboard but he's a good Anafenza alternative to people who aren't Abzan.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Gensuki posted:

If strip mine wasnt banned in everything it would be so fuckin brutal. It kills any land, including basics. I would play 4 strip mine 4 wastelands in lands and you would all die all the time.

It's good it's banned. Very very good. If you don't play legacy where you are constantly playing around wasteland you don't know how loving painful strip mine would be if it was let loose on the world.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I dont know how people don't find "Free spell when you cast a big creature" to not be "cool enough to be mythic"

Its efficient, splashy, and makes your big splashy spells splashier.
It's cool in the Eldrazi deck, but it will probably see a fair amount of play in standard as a very mundane instant-speed sweeper. Having one of those at $5 sucks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's cool in the Eldrazi deck, but it will probably see a fair amount of play in standard as a very mundane instant-speed sweeper. Having one of those at $5 sucks.

Radiant flames is just as good and cheap. It won't see much play outside of eldrazi ramp, where it will be very loving over powered.

Cast ulamog, exile your lands, all your dudes die. I win.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

What's the joke here (if there is one)?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

C-Euro posted:

What's the joke here (if there is one)?

Not really a joke, just a really old card with super limited supply that would be kind of silly to pick for your token.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Radiant flames is just as good and cheap. It won't see much play outside of eldrazi ramp, where it will be very loving over powered.

If I'm reading it correctly, the flashback-esque effect on Kozilek's Return also can't be countered (unless standard has some stifle effect I don't know about). It's a triggered effect, not a spell being cast, so it can't be countered directly, and the trigger itself is an on-cast rather than an ETB. You put a fatty on the stack and the board gets wiped.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Plus we're going back to Inni-fill up your graveyard-strad. I mean, hello, I'll be surprised if this card doesn't see play at some point.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Minority Deport posted:

This is a weird-rear end leak. We're getting things in English, but also Russian, German, Japanese, French, and Italian. Who the hell has access to enough product to pull that many mythics (and nonbasic lands, I guess) this early?

Every one of them has a hosed up edge. The QC department at the printers is where I imagine they'll start the investigation.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think World Breaker could be pretty good as a one-of in the ramp deck. You can find it with your sanctum, and it can act as spot removal for enchantments and as a recurring annoyance for control decks. Having a 7 mana way to trigger Kozilek's Return is also potentially valuable.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Having Return essentially be a 7-mana uncounterable board wipe could be a pretty big deal by itself in some matchups, especially since Abzan has apparently started splashing blue for Disdainful Stroke.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think World Breaker could be pretty good as a one-of in the ramp deck. You can find it with your sanctum, and it can act as spot removal for enchantments and as a recurring annoyance for control decks. Having a 7 mana way to trigger Kozilek's Return is also potentially valuable.

World Breaker actually looks like it could find a slot in Tron's sideboard - it can't replace Nature's Claim straight up, but a disenchant effect that you can fetch with with Eye of Ugin is definitely an effect worth looking at.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I thought Chandra might be great, then I read she costs six mana. Jesus christ.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

legoman727 posted:

She's still probably just the second or third worst Chandra at least

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think someone at creative has a list of things they'd like to do to worlds, like

Slay, Quell, Purge, Gorge, Rend, Knit, Wake, Eat, Warp, and even Bottle

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

legoman727 posted:

yeah i made the same mistake as you. chandra is cursed to never get a good card.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Seconding this.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The really important thing here is that it implies a theme in SoI of caring about card types in your graveyard.

We're getting Tarmogoyf, boys :getin:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Errant Gin Monks posted:

yes please

I didn't realize it was on cast, that's nuts

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

stinkles1112 posted:

yes please

I didn't realize it was on cast, that's nuts

on cast and the sweep itself is a trigger

and it kills the designated "unkillable control guy" in the set :v:.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nissa seems pretty terrible, even for three mana. Not sure why you'd ever *really* want new Nissa over flip Nissa (although I suppose they don't really do the same thing, but getting a forest seems better than an 0/1). Both of the new PW seem clearly worse than Bobby Nixon and dramatically worse than Gideon. I mean, Nissa's fundamental abilities are the same as Gideon's except dramatically worse even with the difference in CMC taken into account.

And I just know a bunch of obnoxious assholes are going to use Chandra + Treasure Cruise + Sphinx's Tutelage to make me want to quit Magic.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 14, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Nissa seems pretty terrible, even for three mana. Not sure why you'd ever *really* want new Nissa over old Nissa.

Both of the new PW seem clearly worse than Bobby Nixon and dramatically worse than Gideon. I mean, Nissa's fundamental abilities are the same as Gideon's except dramatically worse even with the difference in CMC taken into account.

Nissa's durdle game is strong, and her -2 does a decent impression of Gideon's -4 in topdeck mode. I can't imagine what would play her currently, but I don't think you can completely write off anything that durdles so well.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chill la Chill posted:

Same. I was surprised tabernacle was on it and strip mine wasn't. Also the worst part is that mishra's workshop is on it too so we're stuck with the really bad art for that one.

I think you think the reserve list worked the opposite way that it actually did. Basically they decided that, while they were doing this, 80% of the rares from each set would go on the list. The 20% that they didn't put on the list were the ones they thought were the best cards/most likely candidates for eventually reprinting. Sometimes their idea of "best cards" was very wrong but if I understand correctly (I know there are some recent posts on MaRo's blog about it) they actively tried to keep what they thought were "good" cards OFF the reserve list. Of course, when more cards get printed and synergies develop, some unlikely candidates can turn out to be very good cards after all, and the rest is history

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Neat thing about Kozilek's Return is it's an instant, and it has devoid so it gets around those nasty pro red creatures. I'm not sure if that interaction particularly comes up a lot, I'm not seeing decks side in Kor Firewalkers for Tron after all. The cast eldrazi effect really does make it feel mythic though, so I don't hate it.

Chandra is probably just too expensive, but I'll be damned if I don't at least try to make it work. And then I remembered Sphinx's Tutelage is still in standard. :O

I'm not too fussed about Nissa, her previous two incarnations were certainly better. Making a 0/1 plant isn't really big game for a +1, and considering the main threats flying around, it's not a great way to protect herself. I'd probably just slam her as a Gavony Township activation most of the time and if she survives that's great.

World Breaker is a myth. It has a place in my Ruric Thar EDH deck since exiling matters and repeatable exile is even better in that format, but that's about it. Sphinx of the Final Word just screams control finisher, he's pretty good for the mirror, and doesn't die to Languish even. Does he see play immediately or does he need to wait until the cheaper dragons rotate? Kalitas is good against a very certain kind of deck, but when that deck comes to play... whoo boy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Probably the most relevant protection creature that Return hits is Etched Champion.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Logicblade posted:

World Breaker is a myth. It has a place in my Ruric Thar EDH deck since exiling matters and repeatable exile is even better in that format, but that's about it. Sphinx of the Final Word just screams control finisher, he's pretty good for the mirror, and doesn't die to Languish even. Does he see play immediately or does he need to wait until the cheaper dragons rotate? Kalitas is good against a very certain kind of deck, but when that deck comes to play... whoo boy.

I think World Breaker has potential in Modern and maybe even Legacy. Sure, Newlamog exists, but sometimes you don't have a clean 10 mana, or you might need to search+cast in the same turn. Access to a lower-cost, Sanctum-fetchable answer to a problem artifact or enchantment seems pretty strong!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Niton posted:

I think World Breaker has potential in Modern and maybe even Legacy. Sure, Newlamog exists, but sometimes you don't have a clean 10 mana, or you might need to search+cast in the same turn. Access to a lower-cost, Sanctum-fetchable answer to a problem artifact or enchantment seems pretty strong!

I guess I didn't think of that synergy. I guess the question is if that cost with the ability to tutor it is just better than a Nature's Claim or not. I guess since it always has a target (can hit lands) its worth a look at least. I called it a myth since it really doesn't feel like a mythic rare, it's a big splashy eldrazi with some recursion, but it's kind of in the same camp as Deathmist Raptor to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Niton posted:

World breaker costs green, which is somehow probably more of a downside than costing 7 mana, given the decks that would use it

• Locked thread