Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

anthonypants posted:

So if I want to write an application for more than ~30% of all Android devices, you're saying I'd need to write it in Java?

Or you could use Qt! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket did not come in.

A week's vacation and only one minor life threatening emergency(for that particular end user, which I promptly deleted).

Feels good man.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The surface experience. Is it hung? Booting? Installing updates? Who knows!

I have 40 of these cunts and another 50 due next year.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Swink posted:

I always feel tempted to get one of these as a geek toy and I'm always glad that I wait a day and then never actually push the button on it

I think I'll never not prefer an ultrabook-style "real laptop" over one of those pseudo-tablet dealios

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Swink posted:

Good luck. We got six. After a year 3 of them have dead wifi chips. Since it's past a year, no warranty so they can't be fixed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Twenty-odd tickets came in through our ordering system, because my supervisor "helped" by transcribing a bunch of equipment and accessories for customers, but not actually ordering any of it. Some stuff can be ordered in group-purchases for multiple tickets going to the same address/purchaser from the one order (it's an over-complex piece of poo poo of a system), so all he did was make things worse for us because three of us had to trawl through the individual tickets to make separate orders for each. Thanks a, lot fucker :argh:.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I always feel tempted to get one of these as a geek toy and I'm always glad that I wait a day and then never actually push the button on it

I think I'll never not prefer an ultrabook-style "real laptop" over one of those pseudo-tablet dealios

There are one or two decent 2-in-1's kicking around now, but some of the best ones usually manage to flunk the landing in some way to keep them from being the one to get. Dell would actually have had a real cut above the rest with its 11-incher if it wasn't made on the cheap and prone to breaking if you so much as glance at it funny*, and Lenovo's one has an awful screen. If you want something that you can chop-and-change the RAM and harddrive on, you'll be getting something with a bit of thickness to its body though.

I spent far, far, too long going through various 2-in-1 laptop reviews before settling on mine, a HP Pavilion X360 11t :shepface:.

*I actually would've gotten one, except the three stores I asked at only each had a stack of broken ones. That was a pretty good litmus test for quality.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

Good luck. We got six. After a year 3 of them have dead wifi chips. Since it's past a year, no warranty so they can't be fixed.

Always get extended warranties and accidental damage insurance on executive toys. In that way, when they inevitably break, the executive will OK the cost for purchasing a new one, and you don't need to tell anyone that you are keeping the warranty replacement.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

evobatman posted:

Always get extended warranties and accidental damage insurance on executive toys. In that way, when they inevitably break, the executive will OK the cost for purchasing a new one, and you don't need to tell anyone that you are keeping the warranty replacement.

I worked in a school district and the CIO was convinced extended warranties and accidental damage coverage was a scam. Glad we went with a "mobile" refresh for our Pentium 4s in TYOOL 2014. About 10% of the stuff was broken and not covered by the base warranty by the time I left a few months later.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

evobatman posted:

Yeah I typically purchase the extra year but I was denied this time. You'd think lesson learned.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Re: Surface bitching

Am I the only one who hasn't had any issues with Surfaces? The Surface RTs are still going strong with the sales staff at the television station, as far as I know. I've personally owned a Surface, a Surface Pro, and a Surface Pro 3 and never had an issue out of any of them, other than Chrome making the Pros run hot.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I had an issue with my surface book when I first got it. It was a bitch get it to work properly with the way I have the screen flipped and extend to a second monitor. It's much better now with the updates that came out, although I'm sincerely annoyed that the docking station has two mini dp ports but can only power one 4k screen

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Am I the only one who hasn't had any issues with Surfaces? The Surface RTs are still going strong with the sales staff at the television station, as far as I know. I've personally owned a Surface, a Surface Pro, and a Surface Pro 3 and never had an issue out of any of them, other than Chrome making the Pros run hot.

We've sold about 50 of them (Surface 3 Pro) and we haven't had any major issues. One locked up but a hard reset solved that problem.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a dozen Surface Pro 2's with dead wifi cards too. I don't know what the gently caress.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
All of our SP3 issues started with Windows 10.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jeoh posted:

We've sold about 50 of them (Surface 3 Pro) and we haven't had any major issues. One locked up but a hard reset solved that problem.

I've heard occasional reports the Surface 4 Pro has trouble installing LibreOffice in Windows 10, though I can't find a solid bug report. (There's forum posts and a note at the end of a review of the thing.)

The wife is an artist and really really really wants a Surface as it comes highly recommended by other artists for digital painting.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I've had a SP1 and now a SP3 and they've been decent, just a little finicky. Keyboard stops working .. reboot. Wifi stops working... reboot. Stylus stops working... reboot.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I just need to spend the time to actually get a deployment sequence set up that works for the Surface Pros. I'm in a pretty small group and SPs represent a very small percentage of our machines, but as of now they're the only thing left where we basically manually configure everything.

Might be a good project for this week...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
hey speaking of the Surface

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
My friend works for a manufacturer. We were hanging out yesterday and she told me that the company's file server had some kind of hard crash and data loss. Five years' worth of data, much of it still needed and in use, gone.

No backups.

Current IT guy does everything for the company and is very underpaid, and is married to one of her designers who is close to the owner, who apparently is one of Those Guys. The kind that hires one IT guy to be helpdesk, sysadmin, network admin, and pays them too much/works them too much.

He never implemented a backup.

His predecessor was fired for fuckups including not implementing backups.

The worst part, they're five minutes from my house. I was tempted to slip them my card and get some sweet, sweet moonlighting consultant dollars but who needs the stress?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

divabot posted:

I've heard occasional reports the Surface 4 Pro has trouble installing LibreOffice in Windows 10, though I can't find a solid bug report. (There's forum posts and a note at the end of a review of the thing.)

The wife is an artist and really really really wants a Surface as it comes highly recommended by other artists for digital painting.

Well, don't install LibreOffice then! :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

go3 posted:

This.

Win8.1 works fine on the SP3, while I've heard lots of weird stories about Win10 and SP3/SP4 so far.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

go3 posted:

It's been a bear on mine, I'll admit. Just sitting on the desktop in 10 makes the whole computer run at a million degrees. I haven't actually turned the thing on in a few months, so I don't know if they've fixed it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wonder if Win10 will be the release that breaks Microsoft's tick/gently caress cycle by being the second lemon in a row they've released.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A fraudulent order came in.

For a $1500 Macbook Pro.

Shipped to a random address two states away.

That was ordered last Thursday.

Through Ebay.

That we didn't notice until today.

That's currently in the mail.

There is no :negative: large enough. I need a fractal :negative: .

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Oh my god how did that even happen?

Disclaimer: I don't deal with purchasing other than submitting orders and our site is 100% internal and not internet routable.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Segmentation Fault posted:

A fraudulent order came in.

For a $1500 Macbook Pro.

Shipped to a random address two states away.

That was ordered last Thursday.

Through Ebay.

That we didn't notice until today.

That's currently in the mail.

There is no :negative: large enough. I need a fractal :negative: .

How nice of them to give their address! I assume you've already called the police?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Oh my god how did that even happen?

Disclaimer: I don't deal with purchasing other than submitting orders and our site is 100% internal and not internet routable.

Because security here is the dictionary definition of "shitshow." I'm changing all of our passwords right now. Luckily, eBay is reversing the order so we don't get charged. As for the cops, we're working on that. The hardest part is changing all the keys because I have no idea what was compromised and I'm not risking anything.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Segmentation Fault posted:

Because security here is the dictionary definition of "shitshow." I'm changing all of our passwords right now. Luckily, eBay is reversing the order so we don't get charged. As for the cops, we're working on that. The hardest part is changing all the keys because I have no idea what was compromised and I'm not risking anything.

That is legitimately terrifying.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RadicalR posted:

How nice of them to give their address! I assume you've already called the police?

This definitely isn't how internet fraud works. The address is just a drop point somewhere, likely a house that the thief knows is empty during the day. Hitting up the destination address is useless because the thief will no-show if there's no box or if anything goes sideways, and police don't give a poo poo enough to run a sting operation on $1500 merchandise purchased from another state.

How does your ordering / shipping process not involve human checks when dealing with internet business?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

GreenNight posted:

I have a dozen Surface Pro 2's with dead wifi cards too. I don't know what the gently caress.

That and drive space are the only complaints I had, but that was with a client who bought a Surface 2 and decided to store everything locally (instead of on network drives or the USB portable they had) because they went with the cheapest model that had a 64GB drive :downs: At least now when they get Surface 3 models to replace them, they're smart enough to get a minimum 250/256GB drive instead.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How does your ordering / shipping process not involve human checks when dealing with internet business?

If it's not something that is done everyday, it may get missed until someone needs to actually do it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

I wonder if Win10 will be the release that breaks Microsoft's tick/gently caress cycle by being the second lemon in a row they've released.
We bought a 3(?)-year Microsoft contract before we started our Windows 7 upgrade for several million dollars that entitles us to constant access to the latest versions of MS products, because that was deemed the most cost-effective way to get all the Win7 licenses we needed throughout the upgrade. That contract expires next June, and our CIO is pushing for us to be completely on Windows 10/Office 2016 by then, to "make sure we get our money's worth". Our infrastructure is nowhere near ready (we're still on SCCM 2007, which can manage but not deploy Win10), our Group Policy/AD team has no idea what they're doing, oh, and did I mention we still haven't completely replacing all the XP machines? This is going to get interesting.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

We bought a 3(?)-year Microsoft contract before we started our Windows 7 upgrade for several million dollars that entitles us to constant access to the latest versions of MS products, because that was deemed the most cost-effective way to get all the Win7 licenses we needed throughout the upgrade. That contract expires next June, and our CIO is pushing for us to be completely on Windows 10/Office 2016 by then, to "make sure we get our money's worth".

Even if your SA expires you maintain the right to use the latest version of software at the time the SA expired. No need to rush to upgrade, even if you don't plan on extending it.

While I'm at it: A mail came in fro Microsoft: Apparently I fat-fingered the excell-sheet for ordering MS licenses for next year, and they want to know if I really need 5311 licenses for SQL Azure. Um.. no! :gonk:

Good thing: They caught it.
Bad thing: I'll be spending all of tomorrow going over the sheet with a fine tooth comb.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 14, 2015

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Crowley posted:

Even if your SA expires you maintain the right to use the latest version of software at the time the SA expired. No need to rush to upgrade, even if you don't plan on extending it.

While I'm at it: A mail came in fro Microsoft: Apparently I fat-fingered the excell-sheet for ordering MS licenses for next year, and they want to know if I really need 5311 licenses for SQL Azure. Um.. no! :gonk:

Good thing: They caught it.
Bad thing: I'll be spending all of tomorrow going over the sheet with a fine tooth comb.

Always double check everything before sending it off. If you don't have time to double check you don't have enough people in the department, use this as a reason to get more people. "I don't have time to double check this important sheet and we almost wasted $x

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I did double check it! I have my original too, but I got the mail between meetings and haven't had time to compare my version with theirs.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

:yotj:

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

pixaal posted:

Always double check everything before sending it off. If you don't have time to double check you don't have enough people in the department, use this as a reason to get more people. "I don't have time to double check this important sheet and we almost wasted $x

or from a manager's perspective: "I'm incompetent and you should yell at/fire me."

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Holy poo poo, grats man! Details, we need details!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Don't be a tease man, spill it!

• Locked thread