Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

20151212-IMG_9482-Edit by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

20151212-IMG_9496 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

20151212-IMG_9542 by Nate Pritchard, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
fence by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I like Wellington, apparently.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its in New Zealand though so it's still cheating :colbert:

Since my shitposting here began a few months ago, I've been trying to emulate a lot of the more modern stuff (as in not mountains etc) itt but every time I go out, I come back with trash. This is way harder than it seems and it makes me appreciate the thread even more.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Its in New Zealand though so it's still cheating :colbert:

Since my shitposting here began a few months ago, I've been trying to emulate a lot of the more modern stuff (as in not mountains etc) itt but every time I go out, I come back with trash. This is way harder than it seems and it makes me appreciate the thread even more.

You should just shoot what you like and not try to emulate others. That usually never ends well.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Right but when you're first starting out it's a good exercise to try and emulate. You learn VERY fast while at the same develop your own style.
Of course there's a real risk of emulating too close and not diverging.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
I

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 20, 2016

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

Right but when you're first starting out it's a good exercise to try and emulate. You learn VERY fast while at the same develop your own style.
Of course there's a real risk of emulating too close and not diverging.

True also but the fast learning is more on the technical and compositional parts. I guess the risk is as you mentioned, whether the growth is enough to prevent convergent copying in the end.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't mean I try and recreate shots here, I kinda wish I did for that imitation dorkroom month though. I meant more the flat deadpan style of everything.

If I wanted, I could recreate that bp shot from a few posts above without the hill in the background, because there's a bp here thats literally identical, but thats not what I'm trying to do. I guess i should just go to some other suburbs or something, this ones really boring and full of elderly people who get cross at you because they assume you are casing their houses.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I don't mean I try and recreate shots here, I kinda wish I did for that imitation dorkroom month though. I meant more the flat deadpan style of everything.

If I wanted, I could recreate that bp shot from a few posts above without the hill in the background, because there's a bp here thats literally identical, but thats not what I'm trying to do. I guess i should just go to some other suburbs or something, this ones really boring and full of elderly people who get cross at you because they assume you are casing their houses.

I pretty much firmly believe that you can find shots most easily the closer you are to home. Once you've got your eye in, you just start seeing rad compositions everywhere.

For me, anyway, the further I am from home or the less familiar the place, the less successful my day's shooting is. I spend a lot of my photography time just walking around exploring - when I'm somewhere unfamiliar, there's more time walking and less time shooting, because I actually have to seek out and find the rad shots. To illustrate my point - of the last 15 shots on my FlickR feed, 11 were shot within 5 minutes drive of my house.... and I hardly live in a very exciting part of Sydney.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch posted:

I've been doing some stuff around my local downtown lately:

LET_5860

LET_6216-4

LET_5758

LET_5730
I really like the first and last ones.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Also, this is real fuckin' good.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I agree with elgarbo, shooting near home is the best way to train your eyes and also get the best conditions for when you're actually out shooting.

Here's something from my backyard:

Hedge by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

elgarbo posted:

also :agreed:

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I went for a walk to the small shopping center nearby because I got motivated reading everyones replies, somewhere I'd never taken the camera before, and got this and saw some other stuff that has potential.
Park Ridge

I think I just gotta stop trying to force it and figure out what my style is. That's the first shot I've taken that I like in the suburb. I'm annoyed I didn't line up the handrails perfectly though :argh:

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 14, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think I just gotta stop trying to force it and figure out what my style is. That's the first shot I've taken that I like in the suburb. I'm annoyed I didn't line up the handrails perfectly though :argh:

Greg Heisler says:

"You can't aim for a style; you can only see it in hindsight. If you try to develop it, then it's probably a technique, not a style. A technique is something someone else could do and come up with a reasonably similar result. But a style is like your fingerprints, like your DNA. It's uniquely yours. It's probably already there. You just have to shoot a lot of pictures to give it a chance to show up."

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

alkanphel posted:

Greg Heisler says:

"You can't aim for a style; you can only see it in hindsight. If you try to develop it, then it's probably a technique, not a style. A technique is something someone else could do and come up with a reasonably similar result. But a style is like your fingerprints, like your DNA. It's uniquely yours. It's probably already there. You just have to shoot a lot of pictures to give it a chance to show up."

Yeah true. Figure out what I want to do then and not try forcing it when I'm not feeling it is a better way of putting it.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 14, 2015

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

alkanphel posted:

Greg Heisler says:

Elvis Costello says:

"You start out imitating your heroes, and the way you gently caress up becomes your style."

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Those are both great quotes.

elgarbo posted:

I like this too. Personally I'd give it a bit more breathing room along the bottom and the left edges but maybe that's just my style, I don't even know any more.

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wellington
by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 14, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

God drat.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thanks, guys!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

London

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I think you may have a bit of barrel distortion going on there

Definitely. I'm still relatively new the hobby, but mainly processing in PS. Have just been learning as I go. I will work on this because I really enjoy taking wide-field shots of the night sky with the wide-angle lens.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Ric posted:

London

Sick

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I went to Jamaica:

Negril, Jamaica by Konstantin Michtchenko, on Flickr
Wild Thing by Konstantin Michtchenko, on Flickr

Was too stoned to grab the camera more often.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Good god.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is amazing.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I Rob by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I faved this on flickr cuz I dig it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I miss having snow. gently caress you, climate change.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

I miss having snow.

I didn't realize this was possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You can have some if you want. I was all strapped in and ready for a mild winter this year then el nino or loving whatever decided to show up.

But I'm gonna try to get some good shots out of it. Kind of my jam right now anyway.