Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ensign Ro is tsundere as all hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
This thread made me realise I've seen almost every episode of Voyager without even trying and I feel awful and dirty about that fact now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChogsEnhour posted:

This thread made me realise I've seen almost every episode of Voyager without even trying and I feel awful and dirty about that fact now.

Well hey, it's better to know what it is you criticize. If you spout "Voyager sucks" even though you've never seen it you're just an angry internet rear end in a top hat. Now you can have an informed "Voyager sucks" opinion, which is much more credible and normal.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I watched Star Trek Generations recently. I forgot how bad the lighting was for the ship scenes. Like were they trying to cover up the piss stains on the carpet or something?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I watched Star Trek Generations recently. I forgot how bad the lighting was for the ship scenes. Like were they trying to cover up the piss stains on the carpet or something?

They were using slightly refurbished TNG sets that looked like rear end on film.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

No that was the script.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

EvilTaytoMan posted:

uh its called imagery, they are using visuals, namely It's Really Dark, to convey the message that the Picard in the movie is not Regular Picard but is in fact Dark Picard

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Aww, I love how Generations is lit.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the world isnt ready for Dark Riker yet

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

eSports Chaebol posted:

uh its called imagery, they are using visuals, namely It's Really Dark, to convey the message that the Picard in the movie is not Regular Picard but is in fact Dark Picard

Dark Picards prefer to be called Drow Picards.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

redbackground posted:

Aww, I love how Generations is lit.

Same. I didn't want it to look like TOS, TAS, TNG or the TOS movies. And as the silver-screen torch-passing from TOS to TNG, it needed to be special, and the lighting gave it that tone. Aesthetically, it was easy on the eyes, despite missing a certain bubble bath.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Huh, despite burning through TNG a few years ago and currently going through DS9 I've never actually watched any of the kinda-TNG-Era movies

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Monkey Fracas posted:

Huh, despite burning through TNG a few years ago and currently going through DS9 I've never actually watched any of the kinda-TNG-Era movies

I recommend Generations and First Contact.

There are also two other movies. One is an Insurrection against the Prime Directive of keeping Trek films exciting. The other is my Nemesis for essentially killing the prime universe storyline B4 it could reach its own Undiscovered Country.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I recommend Generations and First Contact.

There are also two other movies. One is an Insurrection against the Prime Directive of keeping Trek films exciting. The other is my Nemesis for essentially killing the prime universe storyline B4 it could reach its own Undiscovered Country.

Insurrection was just a 90 minute TNG episode from the mid-seasons with a slightly higher budget. It wasn't a good movie, but it was an OK episode

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

Insurrection was just a 90 minute TNG episode from the mid-seasons with a slightly higher budget. It wasn't a good movie, but it was an OK episode

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beardless Riker directing his own movie was a bad call, for sure. But as far as TNG episodes go, it wasn't bad

Also, I used to own that joystick, the Gravis Blackhawk was the pro-est way to play TIE Fighter/Privateer 2

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

I vaguely remember the kid in it who was more annoying than Wesley ever was.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I vaguely remember the kid in it who was more annoying than Wesley ever was.

I don't remember a kid in the movie. I suppose I'll have to rewatch it and see if I still agree with my own assessment

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

I don't remember a kid in the movie. I suppose I'll have to rewatch it and see if I still agree with my own assessment
This jerk:
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Artim

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There's barely a kid in it. He exists but he's probably in 10-15 minutes of the movie, if that.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

That's some seriously 90s hair on that kid

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Bad lighting compared to what?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

shadow puppet of a posted:

Dark Picards prefer to be called Drow Picards.

We'll call him Larry.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Bad lighting compared to what?

Really dark compared to the series.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The lighting in late TNG was incredibly boring, are you telling me people actually preferred the doctor's office lighting?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Really dark compared to the series.

The change from TV lighting to film lighting.

It's something to be said for Nu Trek, the poo poo was bloom-filled and flashy, but at least the ship looked as well-lit as it does in most of the TV shows, i.e. everything has a light source.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It was also pretty dark compared to TOS movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's called mood.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Holy poo poo the new trailer is super awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6JLJXDF5M0

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Booblord Zagats posted:

Beardless Riker directing his own movie was a bad call, for sure.

He directed First Contact. I don't recall any too self indulgent scenes there.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Everyone knows that the heart and soul of Star Trek is smart-sounding people arguing in a roundish room most of the time

No more motorcycles or buggies, tia

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Iprazochrome posted:

It looks like it'd be a fun movie if it wasn't Star Trek.

I dunno, I liked the first JJ Trek, I thought it was fun and flashy and eh, not super Trekky, but campy and fun.

Into Darkness was just hot loving piss soaked garbage though, jesus loving Christ.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Everyone knows that the heart and soul of Star Trek is smart-sounding people arguing in a roundish room most of the time

No more motorcycles or buggies, tia

It's not that they can't do action, it's that the whole story shouldn't just be an excuse to string together some loosely connected CGI setpieces that sell well in foreign markets

I mean maybe that's not what this new movie will be but there's little reason to think things will miraculously improve now considering the state of these things in general, I mean if not for a few key sound effects I felt like I was watching a trailer for a marvel flick

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It looks like it'd be a fun movie if it wasn't Star Trek.

I dunno, I liked the first JJ Trek, I thought it was fun and flashy and eh, not super Trekky, but campy and fun.

Into Darkness was just hot loving piss soaked garbage though, jesus loving Christ.

This is pretty much my exact sentiment as well , even though I didn;t hate Darkness, just thought it was a lazy movie trying to ride on the coattails of Cumberbatch's Sherlock fame

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Chomp8645 posted:

Well hey, it's better to know what it is you criticize. If you spout "Voyager sucks" even though you've never seen it you're just an angry internet rear end in a top hat. Now you can have an informed "Voyager sucks" opinion, which is much more credible and normal.

What if you've only seen three episodes, and bits and pieces of other episodes? What if you watched one of the early promo bits where they bragged about how they built the light switch for the engine core into a panel on the set, and how they had technobabble dictionaries for all of the cast, but didn't talk about the stories so much, and you happened past a Peter David panel where he was talking about how it was Gilligan's Island in Space, then you didn't watch it because there was no UPN where you were when it premiered, and when you moved to an area that did have UPN, you had other things to do, but while channel surfing you happened to catch awkward dialogues about sex between the Klingon chick and Paris(I think), and other stupid poo poo from time to time, then you did happen to catch a couple of episodes when a friend tried to get you to watch it, so he showed you the Janeway plays Ripley episode, which was okay, then you saw the Klingon chick gets put on death row for thought crimes episode, then some other episode that was also terrible?

No sir, I do not need to taste poop to decide I don't want to eat poop.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Booblord Zagats posted:

This is pretty much my exact sentiment as well , even though I didn;t hate Darkness, just thought it was a lazy movie trying to ride on the coattails of Cumberbatch's Sherlock fame
I liked the ship-to-ship spacedive :kiddo:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Which Star Trek series has the highest number of fans who are pedophiles?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Iprazochrome posted:

Ugh, no they weren't.

"I drove a vintage Corvette Off a Cliff for no reason, I'm James Tiberius Kirk!"

"Our Communicators are really just mid-2000s flip-phones that can call people across the galaxy, because we don't understand how radios or cell phones work!"

"We have old Spock because"

"Let's bring back the Kobayashi Maru test, only Kirk beats it like it's a video game and he figured out IDKFA"

"Audiences Love Khan! And let's bring back old Spock for a one minute Cameo"

"Let's have Kirk die and have Spock get all emotional ... again"

Watchable implies that you could watch it a second time.

redbackground posted:

I liked the ship-to-ship spacedive :kiddo:

Ugh, I forgot about the parachute scene from the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, should this script end with the last twenty minutes consisting of Kirk dying and Spock having a fist-fight atop moving vehicles?

...well, I'm gonna end it that way anyway! gently caress you!

• Locked thread