Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

VitalSigns posted:

Obama called out CNN for their scaremongering at the Press Correspondents' Dinner, that was pretty great.

What baffles me now (not really) is that no one is calling out the right for their deluge of "the South American refugees are secret ISIS soldiers" from last year, that just went down the memory hole and now Syrian refugees are secret ISIS soldiers.

Honestly a lot of politics, especially those on conservative siding issues, depend heavily on the average voter having no memory or understanding of the past. All that matters is just how irrationally angry or fearful you can get them right before the election time. Given that most voters just vote along party lines, it's depressingly effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

-

quote:

According to the Times of Israel:
Swedish PM: Stabbing attacks in Israel not terrorism
“No, it is not classified as [terrorism],” Lofven said in an interview to the Swedish news agency TT. “There is an international classification regarding what constitutes or does not constitute [terror]. As far as I know, the [knife attacks in Israel] are not defined as terror.”
Later in the day, Lofven contacted TT again to clarify his message, fearing what he called a “misunderstanding.”
“I meant that it was unclear if the knife attacks are organized by a group classified as a terrorist organization,” Lofven told the agency. “Nonetheless, the attacks themselves do constitute terror.”
Ties between Israel and Sweden have soured in recent weeks following a series of comments by Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom criticizing Israel’s treatment of Palestinians and suggesting a link between the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the terrorist attacks in Paris last month, claimed by the Islamic State.
Sweden’s Minister for Foreign Affairs Margot Wallstrom gives a statement to media on the Paris terrorist attacks, Stockholm, Sweden, November 14, 2015. (AFP/ TT NEWS AGENCY / HENRIK MONTGOMERY)
Last week, Wallstrom said that Israel was conducting “extrajudicial executions” of Palestinian stabbers, calling the Israeli response to the terrorist attacks “disproportionate.”
Israel has suffered near-daily stabbing attacks by Palestinians in recent months, part of an ongoing wave of violence. -more
-

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Axetrain posted:

The art is pretty good I guess but what's happening here? Is she supposed to be swooning into his muscular chest or what, why does she have this panicked look on her face whilst the guy is just standing there trying to look cool.

They're dancing with peppers, she probably put some in her eyes.

The little girl is America, the peppers are DEBT, and the mother is Obama.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This is actually very true, but lmao at it coming from vegan artbook lady, the most vocal evangelical vegan.

You have no idea how often an exchange happens like this: "hey do you want to go to this bbq place for lunch?"
"Oh no thanks, I'd go somewhere else though, I uh, don't eat meat."
And then the other guy acts like I just handed him a PETA pamphlet and proceeds to act all defensive about eating meat, goddamn dude all I said is i don't eat it. I avoid using the v-word at all costs because that makes it 10x worse.

But the irony of this comic coming from who i can only imagine is the most obnoxious vegan of all time irl...

RyokoTK posted:

I like that the vegan dude is super ripped and the vegan lady has huge tits, as if every vegan ever isn't super frail and skinny.

People have already pointed out that you're an idiot, but take it from Arnold Schwarzenegger, who a week ago said many of his best body builder buds have been vegetarian or vegan.

RADIOHEADISGOD
Sep 29, 2005
wtf mate?

This is from 10 pages ago, but I wanted to say that I've been reading this thread for years and this is the first time I've laughed at a cartoon.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Personally I think it's fascinating to read these old comics from the 1920's

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Are we over the anal rape thing? Because when I looked at the first cartoon, I said to myself "nah, that can't be what he means by back door, this is just goons being goons and reading into things." But then there were anal cartoon ouchie stars and I'm really not over that.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There is always Muir and it's always worse.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Muir is composed of bile, some hair product (assuming he's left his house/not showered since he last left his house)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

betaraywil posted:

Are we over the anal rape thing? Because when I looked at the first cartoon, I said to myself "nah, that can't be what he means by back door, this is just goons being goons and reading into things." But then there were anal cartoon ouchie stars and I'm really not over that.

If you thought Muir meant something other than buttsex when he said "back door" you clearly don't read DbD often

That said though the "rape" part was really harder to get over than the "anal" part IMO

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

betaraywil posted:

I am not over the cartoon man raping his cartoon wife while it is explained that since she is a liberal and reads 50 Shades she secretly wants it no matter what she says.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

betaraywil posted:

I had the same thought, I figured it was just a coy roleplaying thing.

I underestimated Muir once again, and once again I was horrified :cripes:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

albany academy posted:

Muir is composed of bile, some hair product (assuming he's left his house/not showered since he last left his house)

Hair sticks up like that on its own after a few days sans washing. Sweat/grease/filth makes a pretty resilient wax substitute.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

alnilam posted:

There is always Muir and it's always worse.

In my mind, this is still the thread title

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

betaraywil posted:

What exactly does "over it" mean? Is there more outrage you want posted? Poop you want touched? A few more pages of arguing over whether we should ever post him again even though we post Lester and McCoy and Latuiff and Ratman and that crayon guy and weird vegans we found on DeviantArt?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thump! posted:

I had the same thought, I figured it was just a coy roleplaying thing.

I underestimated Muir once again, and once again I was horrified :cripes:

yeah, I want to make some snide comments about it, but I just feel bad. Yes, I feel bad for an imaginary cartoon waifu.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Part of me is hoping that those DbD characters had a safeword established beforehand that isn't the word "stop" but this is DbD and he used rape as a metaphor for why you shouldn't have gun control.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

alnilam posted:

This is actually very true, but lmao at it coming from vegan artbook lady, the most vocal evangelical vegan.

I hope you felt a bit less attacked since I attached the 'this is a crazy vegan girl, not the usual vegan stuff'. I genuinely didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable. :ohdear:

Muirchat: gently caress Muir.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

E-Tank posted:

I hope you felt a bit less attacked since I attached the 'this is a crazy vegan girl, not the usual vegan stuff'. I genuinely didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable. :ohdear:

Muirchat: gently caress Muir.

Yeah no I appreciated your "don't judge all vegans/vegetarians by this idiot lady" comment

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Part of me is hoping that those DbD characters had a safeword established beforehand that isn't the word "stop" but this is DbD and he used rape as a metaphor for why you shouldn't have gun control.

Again: a straightforward reading of the text suggests that a man has raped his wife, anally without lube or foreplay, as punishment for her voicing opinions about gun control that conflict with his, and this is portrayed as Right And Good

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I'm so inured to Muir being a shithead that the one thing I noticed about the cartoon is that Jan says "pain in the... rear end." like she was fishing for a euphemism but hosed it up because Muir is hella incompetent at what he does.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Eschers Basement posted:

What exactly does "over it" mean? Is there more outrage you want posted? Poop you want touched? A few more pages of arguing over whether we should ever post him again even though we post Lester and McCoy and Latuiff and Ratman and that crayon guy and weird vegans we found on DeviantArt?

You're right, of course. I don't know what's to be done.

I'm complaining about things simply because they happened without offering any solution or even direction toward amelioration. Oh God I've become a ptoon.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Eschers Basement posted:

What I'm wondering is, why don't we ever hear the gun community condemning this kind of thing when it happens?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rogers really does have a thing about our stupid alcohol laws, I mean when I was in UT with the Americorps this year they less stupid alcohol laws, loving Utah! :stare:

Also that vegan comic guy makes me want to find the person who draws/writes those comics and eat a burger and talk about how much I love eating animals; I mean there is no way I could argue with a person that ingrained in their thinking might as well Double Down.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

betaraywil posted:

You're right, of course. I don't know what's to be done.

I'm complaining about things simply because they happened without offering any solution or even direction toward amelioration. Oh God I've become a ptoon.

Too be fair, it's so bad and so obviously wrong that there isn't even much of a need to talk about it. Like if your uncle says "friend of the family" at Thanksgiving. You know he's too far gone and too crazy to say anything too. You just give a 'wtf?' glance to your cousin and eat some more turkey and hope the conversation moves on to something else. Though most conversations around the dining room table on Thanksgiving have been kinda boring. I don't want to hear about my aunt's hysterectomy. Maybe I'll ask my uncle who's a better leader Obama or Putin?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

achillesforever6 posted:

Also that vegan comic guy makes me want to find the person who draws/writes those comics and eat a burger and talk about how much I love eating animals; I mean there is no way I could argue with a person that ingrained in their thinking might as well Double Down.

Versus that, which is totally a mild and moderate course of action.

I get that you are being satirical, but I'm surprised at the anti-vegetarian sentiments in this thread. I don't get why people being vegetarian is seen as an attack by so many people.

Yeah, that chick is crazy, but like every comic ITT she is at least something of a minority

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

achillesforever6 posted:

Send them the picture of Lester eating Chik-Fil-A and his contact info.
(Don't actually do this. Poop touching is bad. Touching the poop with poop is probably worse)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Versus that, which is totally a mild and moderate course of action.

I get that you are being satirical, but I'm surprised at the anti-vegetarian sentiments in this thread. I don't get why people being vegetarian is seen as an attack by so many people.

Yeah, that chick is crazy, but like every comic ITT she is at least something of a minority

Because the majority reason for being vegetarian - and more importantly vegan - is the moral one, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever looking at the history of our species, which means the odds are any given vegetarian is a nutcase. You can get squeamish about things your ancestors had to do for millennia, but that doesn't mean goons won't make fun of you for it.

There's no less reason to make fun of vegetarians than there is to make fun of people eating soylent.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

endlessmonotony posted:

Because the majority reason for being vegetarian - and more importantly vegan - is the moral one, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever looking at the history of our species, which means the odds are any given vegetarian is a nutcase. You can get squeamish about things your ancestors had to do for millennia, but that doesn't mean goons won't make fun of you for it.

There's no less reason to make fun of vegetarians than there is to make fun of people eating soylent.

What? There are plenty of people who don't eat meat for religious, health, or just taste reasons. Not everyone is a psycho.

I am not vegetarian, but it seems a bit extreme to say that people eating veggies and people eating nutrient paste are the same.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

This person clearly knows a lot about vegetarianism, e: and ethics in general

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 14, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

endlessmonotony posted:

Moral arguments can be made irrelevant by people doing other things in the past, all moral systems disproved overnight.

First off, we have the luxury to not do a lot of things now that our ancestors had to do for millennia, and second, necessity is not inherently moral one way or another.

Literally saying that you enjoy the thought that things had to die to make your meal is a better argument because at least then you have an argument, and can make a case that the happiness of a more intelligent being matters more by enough to make it worth it.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Dude I'm the one posting the Vegan Comix to mock and you're just being an rear end in a top hat.

I want it clarified: I don't care what you eat. I care when people make strawmen characters and spout off bad science to try and justify their beliefs. If you wanna say 'I'm a vegetarian because I personally find meat disgusting' then cool! That's fine. I for one cannot stand swiss cheese because to me, it smells like sweaty socks and tastes about the same.

If you wanna say 'I'm a vegetarian and therefore better than you loving evil 'Carnists'' then we're gonna have disagreements.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 14, 2015

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

My way of life is the best and anyone who disagrees is dumb and wrong

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

For the record, I'll be the uncle tom vegetarian and endorse continuing to post vegan komix because i like mocking them. Thank you, brave e-tank :patriot:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Swiss cheese is objectively the best cheese because it's my favourite

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Swiss cheese is objectively the best cheese because it's my favourite

Gouda forever, I'll kill you!!!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hail Meat Satan

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

alnilam posted:

Gouda forever, I'll kill you!!!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Hail Meat Satan

Yes that's a thing she made.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Any time you patronize a business that doesn't exclusively employ vegans, you are complicit in giving people money to buy torture meat, so there's no non-symbolic point in simply living vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Gonna trot this one out here again because it's just so :ironicat: that it needs to be re-visited.

Yes. The same person who has with no hint of self awareness basically implied that all meat eaters are evil carnists who revel in the slaughter that went into their food. . . Wants you to know that you shouldn't be a butt about being Vegan.

:irony:

• Locked thread