Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Sakurazuka posted:

We have to learn to co-exist though.

We're all the same, even if from another world, so one by one, we will learn to coexist because we're stuck on a different planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenoblade Chronicles X is such a weird game.

Like objectively it has a lot of really annoying design flaws. Some make sense after playing the game for a bit but others are just annoying. Yet what it is good at it is so loving good at. Combat has flaws but it's almost universally a step up from Xenoblade X except that it lacks some of the more unusual fighting styles. The exploration in phenomenal. In terms of open world games I think it may be my favorite ever simple because what it does well it does so very very well.

The big thing, for me, is that I have actual reasons to explore. The game does a phenomenal job of scaling up your exploration. You start off as cowardly and frightened and small poo poo needs a concentrated effort and then you venture further and further out and every so often you're given something new which completely changes how you explore things. Getting Overclock means that some Tyrants now are defeatable when they weren't before. Getting a mecha is less of a combat upgrade and more of a movement upgrade as suddenly entire new chunks of the map are available to you. Then you hit level 30 and suddenly Skells ARE a combat upgrade and then you keep going and get flight and.. there's a sense of upgrade to exploring that I haven't seen in an open-world JRPG in ages. It frankly trumps a lot of even more action-based games especially because the sense of scale and the actual visual design is absurdly good.

With a little more polish it would be the GotY and frankly the only reason it isn't to me is a combination of the weak plot (which I could ignore if not for the flaws) and the nagging design decisions scattered throughout. It reminds me a bit of Demon's Souls in that the core of what is there is so strong that I can look beyond the obtuseness in a lot of places. It's worse that Demon's Souls in that the obtuseness gets in your way a lot more and the game is significantly more complex in a basic 'play this' way.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The sense of scale is amazingly well done. I'm consistently surprised how much bigger everything is when I step out of my Skell.

Cauldros definitely seems to be designed with Skells in mind. Aesthetically it doesn't hold up as well on foot.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

chumbler posted:

Is it possible to mess up a heart to heart and end up locking yourself out of something? The game is in general very forgiving so I hope not, but I am still worried about that before I start doing them.

No, all of the choices are just chances for more affection

It's pretty cool how affection works for subtle characterization. Murderess has gotten some boosts from surprising things

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

horchata posted:

I need to know what skills and arts you're using cause i chose the lance/sniper class as my first class and everything seems so slow

It sucks poo poo until you get to Astral Crusader, then you get some stuff like javelin's Overwhelm, which hits hard on a low cooldown, as well as some more useful Sniper arts. It's still a class that's more about hardhitting moves with long cooldowns, that's its intended feel. Looking ahead it looks like some of its most fun/useful Arts are locked behind affinity missions.

My biggest complaint with it is honestly that it isn't flashy enough, coming off of commando where you'll slide along the ground shooting and then do some crazy twirls with your sword. I was hoping for crazy stuff like jumping in the air and spinning around for no reason before shooting or something. The javelin could have some fun twirly animations but it's all just poke poke poke.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Is there really a character legit called "Murderess" wtf

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Looper posted:

No, all of the choices are just chances for more affection

It's pretty cool how affection works for subtle characterization. Murderess has gotten some boosts from surprising things

Elma likes it if you let that one dude shoot the manon in cold blood

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah. Her recruitment mission's summary is the best:

"You took on a new job with Irina's acquaintance, the Murderess. And with a name like that, what could possibly go wrong?"

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I feel the main place that the combat falls down is that it doesn't really handle large group battles all that well. The most obvious moment for that being the Soldier Chimera fight during Chapter 12, where if you don't have any skells, you might as well restart the game because you're just going to die horribly otherwise. Same goes for the sidequest White Lifehold.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Inflammatory posted:

you have to do the orphean quests up to the point where they install robot security outside the biahno purification plant, then talk to rosie outside the plant.

Ah, I guess I didn't get it because I didn't secure the Senpira Water yet.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

she is my waifu

Calaveron posted:

Elma likes it if you let that one dude shoot the manon in cold blood

elma sucks and so do you for knowing that

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Senerio posted:

Yeah. Her recruitment mission's summary is the best:

"You took on a new job with Irina's acquaintance, the Murderess. And with a name like that, what could possibly go wrong?"

I was under the impression that your last recruit was going to be L so this is pretty interesting

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was under the impression that your last recruit was going to be L so this is pretty interesting

You get an assload of recruits from Affinity missions. Just make sure you don't accept any going to Sylvalum or Cauldros before you have a Skell. It's either dangerous or boring depending on how you tackle it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
There are a bunch of characters you can recruit through sidequests who are pretty irrelevant to the main storyline

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looper posted:

There are a bunch of characters you can recruit through sidequests who are pretty irrelevant to the main storyline

I'm in Chapter 5 and the only sidequests I get are "collect obscure things x5" or "defeat Assfucker the Indomitable"

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

And then there's Mia, whose recruitment requires you to fight stuff stronger than you'll ever find in the main story.

I wish the best raygun skill wasn't locked behind beating the game first.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm in Chapter 5 and the only sidequests I get are "collect obscure things x5" or "defeat Assfucker the Indomitable"

You gotta walk around NLA and talk to people man.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

I tried my first affinity quest and tripped and fell into recruiting some pompous bespectacled douche bag. Screw you and the shield you rode in on, buddy.

Xenoblade X's characters are so charmless and shallow, it's a real shame.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Oxxidation posted:

I tried my first affinity quest and tripped and fell into recruiting some pompous bespectacled douche bag. Screw you and the shield you rode in on, buddy.

Xenoblade X's characters are so charmless and shallow, it's a real shame.

H.B. is the exception to the rule, honestly.

Alexa is the best.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

most of the good sidequests are found by looking around the city, not at the quest board

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Wait this this what this whole ridiculous questline is leading up to? I've been running into her completely at random so far and i wondered what the gently caress the point was of actually helping out out in every area.

I need to know where she shows up in every area now because i think she's great and i would love having her in my party :allears:

There are a bunch of prerequisite side quests you have to do. It took me pretty much all of yesterday to do.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Senerio posted:

H.B. is the exception to the rule, honestly.

Alexa is the best.

H.B. is at least funny, Boze's just a jackass

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Except Bozé's, Hope's, and Alexa's, which are quest board quests

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Looper posted:

H.B. is at least funny, Boze's just a jackass

Bozé is great because he's making fun of weeaboos.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Calaveron posted:

Except Bozé's, Hope's, and Alexa's, which are quest board quests

Phog too.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
hb owns, sorry if anyone has bad taste.

but yeah if you don't do the affinity missions you're missing out on over half the playable cast.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
HB was fine, he just didn't make too great a first impression, and I pick basically the rest of the characters over him.

Except Lao. Lao is boring, and even Gwin gives you pets for doing his affinity quests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alexa is so loving excited to pilot a giant robot that I can't dislike her. She's just so happy to be an action scientist.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
lao is very handsome and looks good in the dark suit + round sunglasses

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

MohShuvuu posted:

There are a bunch of prerequisite side quests you have to do. It took me pretty much all of yesterday to do.

To elaborate on this: To recruit Mia (and to finish lobster hunting), you need to do the Alex quest chain, the Professor B. quest chain, and a series of missions that start with Lara Mara after talking to Suriella near BLADE Tower.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Boze is pretty funny as a loser weeaboo.

Really the biggest crime is that they only wrote dialogue for one or two characters per mission, which is why Elma and Lin are required for every plot mission, and any of the characters you pick to fill open slots are completely silent.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ImpAtom posted:

Alexa is so loving excited to pilot a giant robot that I can't dislike her. She's just so happy to be an action scientist.

My personal Companion tier list, as of Chapter 7 completion (because that's as far as I am). This list excludes Elma and Lin.

Alexa
L
Murderess
Phog
Irina
Hope
H.B.
Yelv
Doug
Gwin
Bozé
Lao

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it's really baffling because the final section of the game has all the main plot recruits there acting like they're participating in fights even if they aren't in your active party and why couldn't they do this anywhere else

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lao is cool and good

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So are heart to hearts available at any given point in the story? I have yet to see any, but it's possible that I haven't been in the right spots.

Also when can I mix and match different class weaponry? Only once I've maxed out a level 4 tier?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BitterAvatar posted:

Also when can I mix and match different class weaponry? Only once I've maxed out a level 4 tier?

Yeah. When you finish a class line, you "master" the weapon, and thus can use it in any other class.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

BitterAvatar posted:

So are heart to hearts available at any given point in the story? I have yet to see any, but it's possible that I haven't been in the right spots.

Heart to Hearts are only available at a specific time of day and requires you to not have the party member in your team. Also, you have to do them in order, so every character can only have one at a given time and some require you to have the right pet in your barracks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Seriously it's so hosed up that there are so many party members with fully customizable Art, Skill and gear loadouts, and you can construct your team around all kinds of combinations but you have only one open party slot for every plot mission.

Inflammatory posted:

it's really baffling because the final section of the game has all the main plot recruits there acting like they're participating in fights even if they aren't in your active party and why couldn't they do this anywhere else

There's an affinity where you can't bring three specific characters, and I thought it was because maybe the affinity party member opens up about something she wouldn't talk about in front of her fellow soldiers. But it's actually because those three show up at various points during the mission and say a couple lines. Where another game would replace them in those bits with generic NPC's, or just include a slightly different dialogue to acknowledge the character was already with you, this game just locks you out of bringing them in your party.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A few of those make sense, like "You can't take Irina and Gwin because you're rescuing Irina's team from behind enemy lines"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
What's a good ranged weapon type to focus on TP generation? I just wrapped up Galactic Knight and next is either Psycorruptor for the faster cooldowns, or whatever class helps with TP, or go weird with the Astral Crusader.

• Locked thread