Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

GeneX posted:

World breaker costs green, which is somehow probably more of a downside than costing 7 mana, given the decks that would use it

In Modern, R/G tron could certainly support it (though it makes fetching Grove or your Forest a higher priority), and in Legacy, something like John Kassari's 12-post wants Green on the regular anyways for Crop Rotation & Primeval Titan. I don't think it'll be a major player or anything, but I think it could absolutely show up in either of those decks as a role-player.

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

GoutPatrol posted:

I just read that the 2BB demon doesn't say gain for 4 life if there are 4 types in your graveyard, but that you lose 4 life if there aren't 4 types. Where can we get a Japanese reader?

Yep, here's a translation from yours truly:

~Willbreaker Demon~ 2BB

Flying, Trample

When ~Willbreak Demon~ enters the battlefield, put the top 4 cards of your library into your graveyard.

~Tribute~ - At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 4 life unless you have 4 or more different card types in your graveyard.

4/5

Doesn't seem like a great match against a Geist of St Traft though!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Yep, here's a translation from yours truly:

~Willbreaker Demon~ 2BB

Flying, Trample

When ~Willbreak Demon~ enters the battlefield, put the top 4 cards of your library into your graveyard.

~Tribute~ - At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 4 life unless you have 4 or more different card types in your graveyard.

4/5

Doesn't seem like a great match against a Geist of St Traft though!

It can just block Geist of St. Traft

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

So I guess the new keyword may be conditional upkeep costs? I hope it isn't related to counting card types at least.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So I guess the new keyword may be conditional upkeep costs? I hope it isn't related to counting card types at least.

What are you taking about?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Born of the Gods' Tribute is '貢納'. '昂揚' might be ... advancement?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I hope it isn't related to counting card types at least.

Tarmogoyf reprint confirmed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

World breaker costs green, which is somehow probably more of a downside than costing 7 mana, given the decks that would use it

R/G Tron almost always has access to green, considering that the root of its consistency is Ancient Stirrings and Sylvan Scrying and that it plays 4 grove,4 sphere, 4 star, and 4 map. World Breaker's casting cost isn't going to be what keeps it out of modern.

That said, World Breaker has a very hard time competing with any of the current Eye of Ugin targets in Tron, but its ability to handle two onboard inkmoths in one turn might let it see some play. It is essentially way more likely to see standard play than modern play since it's at a casting cost where it could hit the board in standard, isn't competing with more powerful effects at different costs, and standard is a format where its recursion ability is likely to be somewhat relevant.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Calciform pools would solve a lot of these issues

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
New Chandra seems pretty good. I've got a lot of goofy decks I would put her in. I think she's got a solid shot of making it into standard if some sort of jeskai or some other red/x control deck ends up viable.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
What BFZ should have done is, instead of having C be relegated to the second set, gone all-in on it. Straight up have a sixth of the creatures and spells and stuff be C, cut off chunks of the color pie for it, the whole nine yards.

Then, in OGW, you bring in Devoid, but have it only on spells that cost both C and one or more other colors.

This solves many problems: it makes Devoid less underwhelming because people aren't asking "Why is this spell that costs red colorless?" It's colorless because it costs colorless and red. It also reduces the proliferation of four-color decks, because splashing colorless is rather harder than just filling your decks with fetches and bofas.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Zoness posted:

R/G Tron almost always has access to green, considering that the root of its consistency is Ancient Stirrings and Sylvan Scrying and that it plays 4 grove,4 sphere, 4 star, and 4 map. World Breaker's casting cost isn't going to be what keeps it out of modern.

That said, World Breaker has a very hard time competing with any of the current Eye of Ugin targets in Tron, but its ability to handle two onboard inkmoths in one turn might let it see some play. It is essentially way more likely to see standard play than modern play since it's at a casting cost where it could hit the board in standard, isn't competing with more powerful effects at different costs, and standard is a format where its recursion ability is likely to be somewhat relevant.

It can't be cast by the three tron pieces alone, which is a hilarious situation, because the optimal draw for the deck that is most likely to want to use it is completely unable to cast it on whatever you could refer to as tron's curve. It's even more ridiculous that the barrier isn't the humongous mana cost but the single green.

the point is that tron is a very dumb deck. Fun, but dumb

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is it bad that I saw Chandra and Kozilek's Return and immediately though "red based control"?

Because I want to try and build Temur control again now that there's an actual red "board wipe" in standard again.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
so lets price speculate on these new expo lands

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It's definitely related to counting card types in your graveyard and not upkeep costs, and I'm fairly confident that it'll be always 4.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I'm not gonna :toxx: it, but at least for a little while, I'm pretty sure the wasteland expedition is going to net you a playset of non-foil shock lands.

And forbidden orchard'll get you half a cavern of souls.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Tec Edges will be the cheapest expedition at 40 dollars.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Niton posted:

I think World Breaker has potential in Modern and maybe even Legacy. Sure, Newlamog exists, but sometimes you don't have a clean 10 mana, or you might need to search+cast in the same turn. Access to a lower-cost, Sanctum-fetchable answer to a problem artifact or enchantment seems pretty strong!

It has the potential to be worse than Karn

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Niton posted:

I think World Breaker has potential in Modern and maybe even Legacy. Sure, Newlamog exists, but sometimes you don't have a clean 10 mana, or you might need to search+cast in the same turn. Access to a lower-cost, Sanctum-fetchable answer to a problem artifact or enchantment seems pretty strong!

The problem with him having 6G cmc is unless tron has an available egg, he's a t4 play. You need tron + a green source. It is ok that natural tron + an egg does get you there. Probably not good enough, might be worth fiddling with.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

World breaker would be great in pod :smith:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Well Painful Truths is in every Standard and Modern deck but no legacy this weekend :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I didn't see it specifically posted, so I want everyone to realize that the 4/5 Demon is NOT in OGW. It's a Shadows over Innistrad preview card.

That being said, my initial thoughts:
1. Kozilek's Return will be a chase rare until everyone realizes the only couple decks that will use it are G/R Eldrazi ramp in standard and maybe Tron in Modern. I want to say being an instant is kind of a red herring, but it might make 4-color Control (Grixis splash W) preferrable over straight Esper the leading deck in the format since it would no longer be an autoloss against Atarka Red/Landfall.
2. (Unironically) Kalitas would make a bomb loving EDH general in Attrition/Sac decks. And he hoses Rally pretty nicely. Hopefully, there are more common/ubiquitous graveyard fuckery effects as a last "gently caress you" to delve before it rotates.
3. The R/W manland will see even less play than the R/B one. Maybe if it had trample, too? :shrug:
4. New Nissa is neat, but yeah. Flip Nissa is just better for the cost since 0/1 plants don't seem to have any support in the format. (We'll see.)
5. As someone said earlier, New Chandra does 3 very powerful things, but unless the aforementioned Grixis control deck pops up, there really isn't anything out there to support a 6-mana walker.
6. Rorschach Sphinx of the Final Word will allow U/x control decks to move away from the Dragon archetype, and will be blue's new finisher after rotation.
7. Blighted Crossroads is the land I called out back when BfZ was first spoiled. Glad they actually decided to print it. :v:
8. Crumbling Vestige is the best common mana fixing in the set, will be snatched up super early in drafts, and will see play as a 1 or 2-of in Bloom decks (assuming they're not banned out of existence soon).
9. Eye of Ugin being one of the Expeditions makes me loving sad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

I didn't see it specifically posted, so I want everyone to realize that the 4/5 Demon is NOT in OGW. It's a Shadows over Innistrad preview card.

No. It's a Duel Deck Preview card.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Return will be great in Eldrazi. I can see it as an SB in atarka red, if you can prowess your creatures above its reach its a great instant speed wiper to get through whatever they have blocking. It could also go into jeskai black against rally decks to wipe out their guys when they do an eot coco.

I can POSSIBLY see the Sphinx as an SB card in miracles mirrir matches. It costs a lot but an end game beater that can force your cantrips through counter balance might be a thing in really slow games. I'm not sure.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Calciform pools would solve a lot of these issues

Yo my World Breaker destroyed her Calciform Pools. :heysexy:

*rereads card* oh poo poo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

And following the pattern of one face-mythic from each Duel Deck being a preview card for the upcoming block, I stand by my loving statement. :colbert:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

you know what he meant you pedantic retard

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Return will be great in Eldrazi. I can see it as an SB in atarka red, if you can prowess your creatures above its reach its a great instant speed wiper to get through whatever they have blocking. It could also go into jeskai black against rally decks to wipe out their guys when they do an eot coco.

I can POSSIBLY see the Sphinx as an SB card in miracles mirrir matches. It costs a lot but an end game beater that can force your cantrips through counter balance might be a thing in really slow games. I'm not sure.

How is Atarka Red going to use it? It requires casting an Eldrazi spell to get the big flashback effect and the deck hasn't even been using the Radiant Flames card.

Also, the Sphinx still costs seven mana. Even if it's a mirror breaker in Miracles, I have difficulty seeing most games get that far with lands, especially since casting one leaves you wide open and vulnerable to a slew of angels.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

Tec Edges will be the cheapest expedition at 40 dollars.

What about Dust Bowl

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Yes and the duel deck it is in is the one that comes out after Oath, Blessed vs. Cursed which is very clearly the Spring block preview duel deck. The demon will be in SoI.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Okay maybe not Temur control but UR/Izzet control because holy poo poo Sphinx of the Final Word looks really strong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Yes and the duel deck it is in is the one that comes out after Oath, Blessed vs. Cursed which is very clearly the Spring block preview duel deck. The demon will be in SoI.

OK I guess. So you're saying that Geist will be in SOI too?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Remember when the theros duel deck was polukranos and sun titan as displayed cards? Same thing.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

They don't both have to be in SOI. The last one had Oblivion Sower (which was new and in BFZ) and Avenger of Zendikar (which is a reprint and wasn't in BFZ).

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

What about Dust Bowl

Regular foil Dust Bowl is a billion dollars.

But Tec Edge will not be the cheapest of these.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Do we have data on the number of Wastelands on MTGO? I'm wondering if expedition Wastelands could be a notable percentage of those since OGW is going to be opened far more than Tempest or Tempest Remastered were.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Geist is a reprint in the Duel Deck that is most likely only for that Duel Deck because it fits thematically, like Sun Titan in the Theros one or Arcanis in the Khans one or Avenger of Zendikar in the Zendikar one. What's the other option for the demon though? Do you think Wizards printed a brand new card in the Blessed vs. Cursed Duel Deck just for that Duel Deck?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pay no mind to the pedantic retard, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Have you ever seen a duel deck before? They're this neat product line that explores the themes of the upcoming block, or the opposing beliefs of planeswalkers. Belief vs. Spoopy is the first category.

• Locked thread