Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Srice posted:

If his publisher wasn't cool with him taking his time on the last book, then they'd have forced his hand by now.

It doesn't quite work like that after you hit #1 on NYT bestseller repeatedly. Rothfuss is a huge cash cow for his publisher now, even if he takes X years to release.

And if anyone thinks Rothfuss is sitting down and writing 8 hours a day, five days a week, do I ever have some dissappointment to visit on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If Rothfuss releases this book anytime in the next year I will be shocked. I think there is a good chance I will be 40 (2020) before it comes out. Then I'll have to live with the fact that I'm reading what is essentially a YA Peggy Sue book in my 40's.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

It doesn't quite work like that after you hit #1 on NYT bestseller repeatedly. Rothfuss is a huge cash cow for his publisher now, even if he takes X years to release.

And if anyone thinks Rothfuss is sitting down and writing 8 hours a day, five days a week, do I ever have some dissappointment to visit on you.

Are there many writers that can keep up that pace? Stephen King and Sanderson maybe.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are there many writers that can keep up that pace? Stephen King and Sanderson maybe.

There's a ton of authors of varying ability that can. Bujold, Leckie, and Brust are three fantasy authors that publish yearly just off the top of my head.

It just takes discipline. Writing is work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

coughEriksoncough
Not to mention his stuff is way above Rothfuss in just about every way.

...Suddenly feeling a huge sense of déja vu here.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 14, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time:

Book 1: The Eye of the World January 1990

Book 11: Knife of Dreams October 2005

Roughly 26 years for 11 books, less than 2.5 years per book. Then he died and it took four more year so publish the next book, but that's not really his fault after all.

Name of the Wind: March 2007

Wise Man's Fear: March 2011

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

coughEriksoncough
Not to mention his stuff is way above Rothfuss in just about every way.

...Suddenly feeling a huge sense of déja vu here.

Hah,true. Now I'm off to the wheel of Time thread to tell everyone I hate them too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Torrannor posted:

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time:

Book 1: The Eye of the World January 1990

Book 11: Knife of Dreams October 2005

Roughly 26 years for 11 books, less than 2.5 years per book. Then he died and it took four more year so publish the next book, but that's not really his fault after all.

Name of the Wind: March 2007

Wise Man's Fear: March 2011

Ah yes, because all authors are required to put out content at exactly the same rate as each other.

Who wants to call George R R Martin?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

These comparisons actually make Rothfuss look even worse when you consider that Jordan and Martin were/are writing these huge, sprawling epics with enormous casts and multiple independent plot lines, while Rothfuss is writing about one dude's struggle to balance his bank account every month.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jivjov posted:

Ah yes, because all authors are required to put out content at exactly the same rate as each other.

Who wants to call George R R Martin?

He's not required to put out content as fast as the others, but it does explain that he's pretty slow compared to other epic fantasy authors like him. GRRM has a big gap between his most recent books, and he gets a lot of heat for it.

Nobody's demanding that he's writing 8 hours a day, but there is no hint that Doors of Stone is making any progress at all. Instead we see him playing Fallout 4 for charity (which is something admirable actually). But getting pissy with your fans when they inquire about the long awaited third book of his trilogy in this situation isn't helpful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That comparison once again is implying that every author is to be held to exactly the same standard of work. Some people write faster or slower and others. Books are of varying quality. This horseshit notion that Rothfuss cannot write at his own pace is infuriating. He has made no explicit promise to any release that that he's missed.

Has he gone past target windows? Yes. Am I disappointed that doors of stone isn't out yet? Yes. But am I going to bitch and whine about how Rothfuss isn't catering to my whims and getting the book out right when I want it? No. Because that's petty and childish and ignorant.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I actually don't care if the book is ever released. I'm just having fun watching Rothfuss implode under the pressure of being a failure at everything except running a charity (which, if you're only going to be good at one thing, raising money for starving families is a pretty good choice).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ah yes, the author with two successful published novels (and some shorter works) is a failure. Right.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Has he gone past target windows? Yes. Am I disappointed that doors of stone isn't out yet? Yes. But am I going to bitch and whine about how Rothfuss isn't catering to my whims and getting the book out right when I want it? No. Because that's petty and childish and ignorant.

Instead you are bitching and whining about people bitching and whining. That's much better.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

jivjov posted:

That comparison once again is implying that every author is to be held to exactly the same standard of work. Some people write faster or slower and others. Books are of varying quality. This horseshit notion that Rothfuss cannot write at his own pace is infuriating. He has made no explicit promise to any release that that he's missed.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish by wagging your finger at people who complain. There may or may not be good reasons for the delays in Rothfuss's publishing schedule but people are going to get frustrated after several years of silence. Without behind the scenes knowledge an audience can only work with the information publicly released. If bad PR is such a problem for him than he needs to be upfront about what he's doing and why.

I'm thinking back to the Harry Potter days, honestly. The nice thing about JK's blog is that we got a window into her life and updates on her progress were sporadic but existed. That won her a lot of forgiveness from fans as I recall, because we knew she was doing her best. In contrast, Rothfuss apparently publishes AMAs where he bitches about people who want a progress update and then talks endlessly about Fallout 4, seemingly without making the connection between the two concepts.

What I'm saying is that this kind of behavior is what happens when you leave your audience in the dark. It is not childish or whining to want an ETA, especially when a lot of money and attention has been given to the guy. He wouldn't be able to run a charity of marathon Fallout 4 playing if it wasn't for the fame and recognition given to him by the fantasy-reading audience. Rothfuss owes a lot to his fans and fantasy readers in general.

People want to buy this book. They want to pay Rothfuss money for the chance to read his words. They want to find out what happens next. There is a difference between authors reacting to entitled fans and authors purposefully withholding information from fans for unknown reasons. Nature abhors a vacuum. If Rothfuss doesn't fill this one, others will, and it's never pretty.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HIJK posted:

Rothfuss owes a lot to his fans and fantasy readers in general.

in what sense?

The dude wrote some books and if you paid money for those books and enjoyed reading them then you got what you paid for already. you aren't really "owed" any additional books at all, the guy could choose to never write another book in his life but he still wouldn't owe you anything further.

His publisher of course is a different matter and he could certainly cause problems for himself by violating his contract if he delays for too long. but no one "owes" future content to fans, that's some bullshit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Earwicker posted:

in what sense?

The dude wrote some books and if you paid money for those books and enjoyed reading them then you got what you paid for already. you aren't really "owed" any additional books at all, the guy could choose to never write another book in his life but he still wouldn't owe you anything further.

His publisher of course is a different sense and he could certainly cause problems for himself by violating his contract. but no one "owes" future content to fans, that's some bullshit.

You said it better than I would have.

Rothfuss doesn't owe anyone (except probably his publisher) a drat thing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Earwicker posted:

in what sense?

His publisher of course is a different matter and he could certainly cause problems for himself by violating his contract. but no one "owes" future content to fans, that's some bullshit.

You missed the point. Rothfuss owes his fans in the sense that they are the ones that let him do stuff like play Fallout 4 for charity; without his fans, he's just some goober on Twitch that no one cares about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

You missed the point. Rothfuss owes his fans in the sense that they are the ones that let him do stuff like play Fallout 4 for charity; without his fans, he's just some goober on Twitch that no one cares about.

If you're really that butthurt about him not spending every waking moment writing, just forget all about him and follow authors that release books at your preferred pace.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

there are a whole bunch of nerds who yell at video games on youtube to make ad money and most of them have not written fantasy novels.

I'm sure he could manage to be one of them, but in any case no it doesn't mean he owes any fans anything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think he owes anyone anything, but he sure as poo poo is riding this gravy train for all its worth and if the next book doesn't wrap things up satisfyingly all this good will being thrown his way will dry up incredibly fast.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not even giving him any "good will" outside of professional courtesy. The man absolutely does not deserve the entitlement-laden poo poo slinging that he's been getting.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

If you're really that butthurt about him not spending every waking moment writing, just forget all about him and follow authors that release books at your preferred pace.

You seem really upset that people aren't bowing down before the Throne of Rothfuss.

You also seem to have problems with reading comprehension, which probably explains why you're such a huge fan of Rothfuss.

Earwicker posted:

there are a whole bunch of nerds who yell at video games on youtube to make ad money and most of them have not written fantasy novels.

I'm sure he could manage to be one of them, but in any case no it doesn't mean he owes any fans anything.

Those guys are raising money to pay their bills, not for charity, and Rothfuss doesn't have the charisma to do that without the support of fans of his books. So I'd argue that Rothfuss owes his fans thanks for allowing him to raise money for charity.

And yes, there are streamers that raise money for charity, especially around this time of year, but in nearly all cases, they do so by hitching their wagon to people and organizations that are already established (such as Child's Play).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I am glad that Rothfuss is not writing, because he is not good at it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hah,true. Now I'm off to the wheel of Time thread to tell everyone I hate them too.
Just to clear up my position here: I frankly don't care how long he takes; I just find the "other writers write/don't write" argument stupid as hell, no matter how it's utilized.
As for the other half, I wasn't aware a discussion thread was reserved for people who are in favor of the topic. My interest in this thread has been - for quite a while now - trying to figure out how the hell did this get so popular; I don't really see it as less valid than any other point of view presented here.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
No authors owe any fan anything at all. I do not feel I am owed anything.

However, this does not mean that I don't have a right to complain about the amount of time it is taking him to write a book that I'm technically looking forward to, but probably ultimately won't enjoy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

So I'd argue that Rothfuss owes his fans thanks for allowing him to raise money for charity.

Sure he owes them a "thank you" in the sense of saying "thank you" to them. He doesn't owe anyone any work or writing other than his publisher.

quote:

You also seem to have problems with reading comprehension, which probably explains why you're such a huge fan of Rothfuss.

I know this was addressed to the other guy, but I do find the attitude in this thread confusing.

I don't consider myself a "huge fan", I read his books and found them to be decent light entertainment. I'll probably read the third one whenever it comes out, but I don't particularly care when that happens because I have a massive amount of other books to read in the meantime. However, you guys in this thread some to actively dislike Rothfuss, so I don't get why you read his books at all and seem obsessed with his progress on the third book which - if you didn't like the first two - you probably also won't like. so what's the point?

SpacePig posted:

However, this does not mean that I don't have a right to complain about the amount of time it is taking him to write a book that I'm technically looking forward to, but probably ultimately won't enjoy.

Of course you have the right, but I just don't understand the point of it - if you already know you won't even enjoy book, then why are you looking forward to it or care when it comes out?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ornamented Death posted:

You seem really upset that people aren't bowing down before the Throne of Rothfuss.

I don't care if you "bow down before the throne" or not. That's your call. But being a complete rear end towards him is absolutely asinine.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Just to clear up my position here: I frankly don't care how long he takes; I just find the "other writers write/don't write" argument stupid as hell, no matter how it's utilized.
As for the other half, I wasn't aware a discussion thread was reserved for people who are in favor of the topic. My interest in this thread has been - for quite a while now - trying to figure out how the hell did this get so popular; I don't really see it as less valid than any other point of view presented here.

Oh I wasn't having a go at you. I was making fun of my own tenancy of swinging into threads and complaining about books that I've devoted unhealthy amounts of energy to.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Earwicker posted:

Sure he owes them a "thank you" in the sense of saying "thank you" to them. He doesn't owe anyone any work or writing other than his publisher.

Which was all I meant.

Earwicker posted:

I know this was addressed to the other guy, but I do find the attitude in this thread confusing.

I don't consider myself a "huge fan", I read his books and found them to be decent light entertainment. I'll probably read the third one whenever it comes out, but I don't particularly care when that happens because I have a massive amount of other books to read in the meantime. However, you guys in this thread some to actively dislike Rothfuss, so I don't get why you read his books at all and seem obsessed with his progress on the third book which - if you didn't like the first two - you probably also won't like. so what's the point?

Of course you have the right, but I just don't understand the point of it - if you already know you won't even enjoy book, then why are you looking forward to it or care when it comes out?

I actually agree with you on the books. I do not, however, like the author - I find him insufferable - and I will gladly forgo an ending to this series if it means I can watch his career wither and die in a very public way. On the flip side, if he manages to keep his poo poo together and finish his series, then I'll have another book to add to the TBR pile.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

I don't care if you "bow down before the throne" or not. That's your call. But being a complete rear end towards him is absolutely asinine.

This is a forum. They are not being a complete rear end towards him. He cannot see this.

And you are a twat that will go to bat for the people you spend your money on for no other reason than you are insane. In the world of Jivjov anyone who sells something to him is sacrosanct, cannot be criticized, ever. You do this everywhere. I remember you defending rape games.

You show up in a bunch of threads I read because we have similar tastes apparently and you are always sucking the thing off. Get help.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ornamented Death posted:

I actually agree with you on the books. I do not, however, like the author - I find him insufferable - and I will gladly forgo an ending to this series if it means I can watch his career wither and die in a very public way.

what did he do that was so terrible? I'm not familiar with his personal life or anything so I'm curious what he does thats so awful that you want to watch his career die publicly.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

I actually agree with you on the books. I do not, however, like the author - I find him insufferable - and I will gladly forgo an ending to this series if it means I can watch his career wither and die in a very public way.

Other than schadenfreude why would you possibly want this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrFlibble posted:

And you are a twat that will go to bat for the people you spend your money on for no other reason than you are insane. In the world of Jivjov anyone who sells something to him is sacrosanct, cannot be criticized, ever. You do this everywhere. I remember you defending rape games.

There's "criticism" and then there's "Rothfuss is playing video games instead of writing, where's the book, why isn't it out yet, why is he faffing about and doing AMAs instead of writing??"

I heartily encourage and love to read intelligent, well-rationed criticism, especially of things that I like. But mindless frothing and self-entitlement infuriates me to no end.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Earwicker posted:

what did he do that was so terrible? I'm not familiar with his personal life or anything so I'm curious what he does thats so awful that you want to watch his career die publicly.

MrFlibble posted:

Other than schadenfreude why would you possibly want this?

Eh, that was probably an extreme way to put it. I don't actively wish him any ill will, but at the same time, if the end result of all his weird opinions (of which there are numerous examples throughout this thread), his being a dick to fans for no greater crime that wanting to read his next book, and the general downward trend in the quality of his stories is that he crashes and burns, I'll probably have a good chuckle.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

There's "criticism" and then there's "Rothfuss is playing video games instead of writing, where's the book, why isn't it out yet, why is he faffing about and doing AMAs instead of writing??"

Its the end of 2015, the posts about the book not being out have amplified. I wonder whats different about the end of 2015 compared to the end of 2013, when the book hadn't been out for almost three years instead of almost five years?

jivjov posted:

I heartily encourage and love to read intelligent, well-rationed criticism, especially of things that I like. But mindless frothing and self-entitlement infuriates me to no end.

TSRoST was a pile of wank and the gross sex stuff of the second book detracted from the neat adventures. Patrick Rothfuss continually being upset/annoyed that people are wondering where book three is after giving the impression when he sold the first book that the trilogy was done is unprofessional.

None of those criticisms are based on entitlement.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 14, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Earwicker posted:

in what sense?

His publisher of course is a different matter and he could certainly cause problems for himself by violating his contract if he delays for too long. but no one "owes" future content to fans, that's some bullshit.

In the sense that he wouldn't be where he is now without their support and money.

I'm not saying he owes people in the sense that he should be producing content. I'm saying he owes people in the sense that he shouldn't act like an ungrateful little poo poo by being a complete jerk to his fans, especially when he's whinging about how MY FANS DON'T CARE ABOUT ALL THE CHARITIES I'M RUNNING UGH HOW DARE.

It is foolish and unreasonable of Rothfuss to be such a dick. He hasn't earned dickishness, he hasn't earned any grace, and frankly he hasn't earned any leeway. I don't blame Rothfuss for not adhering to his original deadlines, it would be pretty unreasonable for that to happen. I blame Rothfuss for being a total cock about it.

e: I think the crux of the matter is that Rothfuss acts like an egotistical rear end without much to back it up. Like, I can't fault GRRM for acting like a dick because the dude has already poured out a lot of content and he is involved with the show, which is a lot of work regardless of capacity. GRRM has earned some dickishness imo. But Rothfuss has put out two mediocre novels and a short story and now he plays Fallout 4 for a living.

Rothfuss is not Markiplier or PewDiePie. Maybe he wants to be, and that's okay. But unless he wants to break contract, he needs to give us something.

Like, apparently he actually tried to stream WRITING THE BOOK LIVE BEFORE SWITCHING TO FALLOUT 4 BECAUSE "writing is hard." In what universe would that not be hilarious?

ee: ^^^^ basically, yeah. Dude is unprofessional and whiny as hell. I'm not emotionally involved in his drama, so all of this is hilarious to me, but wow. He acts like a teenager with a livejournal.

HIJK fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 14, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
e: quote is not edit!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Saw 50 posts and foolishly thought something worthwhile happened, but no it's just jivjov blindly defending Rothfuss and failing to understand how people could be frustrated with a goony procrastinating writer who is milking his fans because he's probably afraid that his next book will be as bad as WMF.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If Rothfuss was a human printing press like Sanderson we'd be waiting on the last book of the next (Bast's?) trilogy instead of Doors of Stone right now, or we'd still be waiting but we'd have gotten a trilogy about the Amir or something in the meanwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Earwicker posted:

Because I want to like it, and genuinely hope it's good. I really enjoyed NotW, and am keeping my fingers crossed that most of WMF is just some sort of small stumbling block.

I guess taking more time to fine-tune a book is better than rushing it out just to meet a release deadline, but his online presence just makes it at least appear that no serious or significant work is being done on it. I'm not expecting him to dedicate 24 hours a day to writing, but taking time to write for other projects and play video games for charity and being flippant about it all is a bit weird.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Rothfuss was a human printing press like Sanderson we'd be waiting on the last book of the next (Bast's?) trilogy instead of Doors of Stone right now, or we'd still be waiting but we'd have gotten a trilogy about the Amir or something in the meanwhile.

We got those Bast and Auri short stories, so that's something.

• Locked thread