Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

ZenMaster posted:

Seriously Loiosh? Dude, it was a big post. :( Oh, well...

Not sure how you missed my post, but, you said you would lose faith if by mid December (I quoted my source) they didn't have 2.0 and working as promised. They did release 2.0 (only to coincide with more sales) and it's a buggy mess, you even say so... so the question is, did you lose faith because they did not deliver as you stated they should have and as they promised... pretty much everything is hosed up and better stability isn't anything amazing after *13* patches. That was my question, thanks!

I guess you missed the part where I mentioned I wasn't paying much attention the last week here.

To your question, here's what I've said:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=357&perpage=40#post452718391
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=451&perpage=40#post452941899
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=452&perpage=40#post452942684
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=467&perpage=40#post452966826

quote:

If they fail to get AC 2.0 out. If it's a broken mess where I cannot get my friend to copilot a ship with me, that's when I will have no faith. I've mentioned this repeatedly, I don't go on rumors. I like to see sourced facts so I can evaluate for myself. [...] I'm kinda used to jank like this. It's not really that surprising to me. If they don't fix it in December, if I cannot get in my Connie and fly around doing stupid poo poo, I'll be concerned. But seeing this, it's an alpha. What'll be telling is seeing how well they clean it up. [...] I posted that a few pages back. If they failed to get 2.0 out by the middle of december. If I cannot play a Connie by then and have my friend join me, that's when I'll be done with SC. If they hit that delivery, then I'll be happy with the progress.

My friend on his massive 400 kbps downstream finished the download this morning. I asked him to join me, but he said he'd do it tonight. So, we'll see. Will I be able to get into a Constellation? Will we be able to fly out on it and do a mission? Will fun be had?! I'll know tonight.

I also addressed my view here which you can read for a more in-depth perspective on my thoughts in regards to polish and alphas: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=745&perpage=40#post453793943

Edit: And as a note, I don't really do snap judgements. When you ask me a question, you're going to usually get a larger reply. If you're not interested in reading a detailed opinion, that's cool, but if you're asking me the same question repeatedly because you didn't read through my entire reply, that's kinda not my problem.

Loiosh fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Stalkerr posted:

Star Citizen is getting into my Starsector. Noooooo

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10309.0

quote:

I wonder if you're aware you are directly copy/pasting the rhetoric of a failed games developer who calls himself an 'internet warlord' and is well known for stalking and harassing both CIG staff and members of the Star Citizen community. It's not a particularly cool attitude to have.

The irony in that person's post won't be lost to people in this thread.

CiGentologists are sounding very much like that other space cult when they defend their religion. Same words. Same methods.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Is Star Citizen to good to be true?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3wqytq/is_star_citizen_too_good_to_be_true/

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just checked /u/MyLittleTurretGunnar's posts on reddit.

quote:

I've spent TENS OF THOUSANDS on this game. My wife has spent $20 and gets just as much out if it as I do.

quote:

Jesus christ is must really suck to be poor. I loving hate poor people. You are all so pathetic.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

What if Ben is the database?

He definitely as an impressive rack

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

fuctifino posted:

When I asked a similar question a few months ago, someone replied: "His arms are normal sized. Just take your time to think about that...."

I live in the Midwest man, I know from fatties

I still ain't never seen arms like that

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone see Eurogamers recent Star Citizen Post? Haven't had a chance to browse the comments but I'm guessing the star cit community isn't happy: Star Citizen soars past $100m as alpha 2.0 launches. Prompts call for game-spending regulations from Big Pharma dev.

From the blogpost referenced in the article:

quote:

Star Citizen is a space game. Its being made by someone who made space games years ago, and they ‘crowd-funded’ the money to make this one. The game is way behind schedule, and is of course, not finished yet. They just passed $100,000,000 in money raised. They can do this because individual ships in the game are for sale, even though you bought the game. I guess at this point we could just say ‘A fool and his money are soon parted’, but yet we do not do this with gambling addiction. In fact we some countries have extremely strict laws on gambling, precisely because they know addiction is a thing, and that people need to be saved from themselves.

He goes on to compare the ship sales to the freemium elements in stuff like Game of war that exploit their player base to extract thousands of dollars daily. Worth reading the whole thing.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nyeehg posted:

Did anyone see Eurogamers recent Star Citizen Post? Haven't had a chance to browse the comments but I'm guessing the star cit community isn't happy: Star Citizen soars past $100m as alpha 2.0 launches. Prompts call for game-spending regulations from Big Pharma dev.

From the blogpost referenced in the article:

He goes on to compare the ship sales to the freemium elements in stuff like Game of war that exploit their player base to extract thousands of dollars daily. Worth reading the whole thing.

lol

all the comments about the game needing regulations on spending are being downvoted off the site

and all the comments about being free to spend your own money/star citizen is heaven are getting upvoted

the upvoting/downvoting system: Griefing opinions is ok not star ships

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

As in game transactions are part of a service economy, service providers have a social responsibility, just like the gambling industry does. Customers spending is directly linked & enabled by the service (something you don't have with alcohol from shops, if you were disgustingly drunk most bars would stop serving you).
-5 /5

downvoted

lol

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Madcosby posted:

-5 /5

downvoted

lol

It would be drat difficult to regulate though. Where would you draw the line?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Iglocska posted:

open financials for crowdfunding projects

wow that was ez as gently caress

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Madcosby posted:

open financials for crowdfunding projects

wow that was ez as gently caress

Ah I thought more like limiting how much people can spend so they don't end up buying space ships for $30k and using up their kids college funds.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My kids can spend their own cash on their own schooling :colbert:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Soothing Vapors posted:

I live in the Midwest man, I know from fatties

I still ain't never seen arms like that

His arms were definitely more in proportion to the rest of his body before it was filled with 400lb of whale blubber

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Iglocska posted:

Ah I thought more like limiting how much people can spend so they don't end up buying space ships for $30k and using up their kids college funds.

that works too

putting a cap on spending/day/month whatever is good

it's not hard and needs regulation. in-app purchases and crowdfunding are running amok right now, BECAUSE THERE IS NO REGULATION. It's literally a billion dollar industry and the groups getting into it today are going to profit out the wazzou

edit: Imagine if a single video game had a max amount you can spend of $1000 a year. That seems so ridiculously reasonable to anyone with a healthy mindset for video games. Such a model would crush Star Citizen. They prey on retarded people

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 14, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Iglocska posted:

I think we're going to have to realize that trying to regulate addiction as if it were simply a vice instead of a medical concern is not the proper way to handle things. Over the last two decades there's been a great deal of study into the mechanism of addiction and rapid cycle feedback loops that those people tend to suffer from. One of the most interesting things going on in the EU has been the embracing of that research to help deal with the drug type of addictions: http://sciencenordic.com/heroin-clinics-improve-addicts-lives

Regulation is a different problem for addiction because it does not treat the medical cause (in cases like gambling addiction), and thus provides no net benefit as those who suffer from addictive personalities will switch to a different type of activity. Gamblers tend to become impulse purchasers, or find illegal ways of avoiding gambling restrictions like online poker leagues. The justice system, especially in the US, is still far too focused on punishment and not on science-based approaches to address causative factors. Like what Mad poses is that they require open financials for crowdfunding projects, but how will that help private companies, like King who makes Candy Crush Saga? That game makes roughly $800,000 to $1 million every day from its microtransactions, the majority of which comes from under 2% of the user base. This is a wider problem, and I'd be interested to see solutions that are based on researched studies on how addictive loops actually function and the best cognitive methods for addressing them.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Iglocska posted:

How about "You as a company cannot sell a digital product without a specified release date and if you completely loving fail to hit that release date everyone can get a refund in no more than a week." We're not talking like, big daddy government here. We're talking basic consumer protections.

Or, in keeping with the article, "Do not stalk people and cultivate addictive behavior by accumulating their personal information and using it to target ads at them." I mean I can't believe that's not already illegal.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Madcosby posted:

that works too

it's not hard and needs regulation. in-app purchases and crowdfunding are running amok right now, BECAUSE THERE IS NO REGULATION. It's literally a billion dollar industry and the groups getting into it today are going to profit out the wazzou

edit: Imagine if a single video game had a max amount you can spend of $1000 a year. That seems so ridiculously reasonable to anyone with a healthy mindset for video games. Such a model would crush Star Citizen. They prey on retarded people

Lol all companies prey on retarded people

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

I think we're going to have to realize that trying to regulate addiction as if it were simply a vice instead of a medical concern is not the proper way to handle things. Over the last two decades there's been a great deal of study into the mechanism of addiction and rapid cycle feedback loops that those people tend to suffer from. One of the most interesting things going on in the EU has been the embracing of that research to help deal with the drug type of addictions: http://sciencenordic.com/heroin-clinics-improve-addicts-lives

Regulation is a different problem for addiction because it does not treat the medical cause (in cases like gambling addiction), and thus provides no net benefit as those who suffer from addictive personalities will switch to a different type of activity. Gamblers tend to become impulse purchasers, or find illegal ways of avoiding gambling restrictions like online poker leagues. The justice system, especially in the US, is still far too focused on punishment and not on science-based approaches to address causative factors. Like what Mad poses is that they require open financials for crowdfunding projects, but how will that help private companies, like King who makes Candy Crush Saga? That game makes roughly $800,000 to $1 million every day from its microtransactions, the majority of which comes from under 2% of the user base. This is a wider problem, and I'd be interested to see solutions that are based on researched studies on how addictive loops actually function and the best cognitive methods for addressing them.

this is like taking rehab advice from a junkie

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

neonbregna posted:

And some of them are regulated to try to curb it, Lenin

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Tokamak posted:

it really devalues your ship purchase if you are easily able to make illegal copies.
piracy is killing the whale industry.

SC will be fine and work perfectly* until someone with LTI and $1500+ LE ships start to LET PEOPLE steal their ships on purpose so everyone gets a limited edition ship to fly anytime they want.

*not really

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Iglocska posted:

Madcosby posted:

that works too

it's probably not reasonable to say "per day/month spending" cap because where do you draw the line really, you can blow your kids college fund on a summer cottage or midlife-crisis-mobile but as soon as it's something virtual then it's verboten? and what's disposable for one person is critical food and rent money for someone else, so who's going to keep track of that? the irs requires you declare the amount you spent on virtual stuff on your taxes and comes after you if you spent too much? :wtc:

gambling has restrictions but they're not around "amount you can spend", it's "how unfair the house is allowed to tilt the odds in it's favor"

open financials would be the only real thing you can do and hope that having the press jump on the fact that you spent $30mil of your funding on airplane sofas is enough to ward off people before it turns into a cult

hell, the one kickstarter project that I know of that actually got a federal lawsuit slapdown was explicitly related to where the money actually went, so open financials is probably the only sane way to go about it

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

neonbregna posted:

It's the American way!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

My friend on his massive 400 kbps downstream finished the download this morning. I asked him to join me, but he said he'd do it tonight. So, we'll see. Will I be able to get into a Constellation? Will we be able to fly out on it and do a mission? Will fun be had?! I'll know tonight.

I also addressed my view here which you can read for a more in-depth perspective on my thoughts in regards to polish and alphas: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=745&perpage=40#post453793943

Edit: And as a note, I don't really do snap judgements. When you ask me a question, you're going to usually get a larger reply. If you're not interested in reading a detailed opinion, that's cool, but if you're asking me the same question repeatedly because you didn't read through my entire reply, that's kinda not my problem.

Don't worry, even if your friend doesn't arrive, even if you have the worst gaming session ever, full of bugs and people clipping thru the floor of the ship, you'll still have fun and come back to the thread saying that your expectations were met and your faith in the potential of the game restored.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

How about "You as a company cannot sell a digital product without a specified release date and if you completely loving fail to hit that release date everyone can get a refund in no more than a week." We're not talking like, big daddy government here. We're talking basic consumer protections.

Or, in keeping with the article, "Do not stalk people and cultivate addictive behavior by accumulating their personal information and using it to target ads at them." I mean I can't believe that's not already illegal.

The first one - sure, what do you do about in-app purchases for current mobile games? Some of them make Star Citizen look like it's the little leagues. They're already released so no harm done to them.

For the second one: There's too much money in that. Google, Amazon, etc all do exactly that. Try searching for a specific item on amazon, you'll be seeing that on 70% of the websites you visit for the coming month. I am sure the lobby against any such regulation would be incredibly strong.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

Is there anything in my post you disagree with?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

neonbregna posted:

Star Citizen just appeals to a very specific kind of retard.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

trucutru posted:

Don't worry, even if your friend doesn't arrive, even if you have the worst gaming session ever, full of bugs and people clipping thru the floor of the ship, you'll still have fun and come back to the thread saying that your expectations were met and your faith in the potential of the game restored.

I did discuss my experiences with another alpha (Natural Selection 2) and the kinds of things I enjoy and dislike. Is the only reply that is satisfactory for you to be me lying about my experiences and opinions? That seems a bit unfair. Not only have I been offering (overly long) replies to explain my thoughts and opinions, but I also delve into the reasoning behind it to explain why I arrived at the opinion I did.

But I guess you want me to just say I'm disappointed. Would that satisfy you?

Maltag
Oct 1, 2007

D_Smart posted:

They will never - ever - finish this game. It's not that they won't; it's that they can't. Anyone who looks at the scope of the game promised, and thinks that 2.0 is the light at the end of the tunnel, is a loving idiot. I've been doing this for over 30 years and have built bigger games, I've seen this all before.

how can it be impossible to make a game of this scope if youve built bigger ones. something doesnt add up here. any comment?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Loiosh posted:

i didnt read it

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Madcosby posted:

i didnt read it

'k

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Iglocska posted:

The first one - sure, what do you do about in-app purchases for current mobile games? Some of them make Star Citizen look like it's the little leagues. They're already released so no harm done to them.

For the second one: There's too much money in that. Google, Amazon, etc all do exactly that. Try searching for a specific item on amazon, you'll be seeing that on 70% of the websites you visit for the coming month. I am sure the lobby against any such regulation would be incredibly strong.

To some degree I don't really see in-app purchases as a major issue. Yes they are exploitative, but only in the sense that they present a thing and then the customer either does or does not buy it. Yes they are fine tuned to grab a certain set of people's attention and addiction, but so is almost every other major marketing scheme, games have just found a new niche. I feel like it's a lesser evil to leave people free to make their own mistakes than it is to try and stamp this out. The point where it crosses the line though is when they start blatantly lying to people or making promises they can't back up, which is where Kickstarter has brought us.

There is too much money in it, in both of these practices really, but I'm not sure there's enough corporate will to cement them yet. Even if so, it'll only get worse over time so we might as well push for legislation sooner rather than later.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

"Before limit the amount of money you can spend on candy crush to 5 dollars a day (or whatever), before we do any single thing we have to come to an agreement on the framing of our problem, then we need propose some solutions based on the researched studies on how... whoops! is it 2050 already? time does sure fly fast!"

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

FrankieGoes posted:

Go yiff yourself, Wesha.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

"Thank you great heroes of out time for donating tens of thousands of your dollars to help create Star Citizen the best drat flight simulator ever." - a 14 year old retard who had his mom buy him the game and just shot you to death for no reason

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

neonbregna posted:

In honor of :lesnick: I would like to extend the following offer to brave goons. The culinary wizards at Pizza Hut have devised this creation

If any poor goons would like to document their consumption of this in its entirety in one evening I will happily have it delivered to your abode. :lesnick: :gary: :yarg:

If this is a serious challenge, then I am 100% :lesnick: for it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Madcosby posted:

don't teach me about rehab dude

i been in rehab half my life :smuggo:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
My avatar text was not literal

More shitposts please, Tia

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

I did discuss my experiences with another alpha (Natural Selection 2) and the kinds of things I enjoy and dislike. Is the only reply that is satisfactory for you to be me lying about my experiences and opinions? That seems a bit unfair. Not only have I been offering (overly long) replies to explain my thoughts and opinions, but I also delve into the reasoning behind it to explain why I arrived at the opinion I did.

But I guess you want me to just say I'm disappointed. Would that satisfy you?

The thing is that, just like addicts justify all the crap they have to do to get their fix, you'll rationalize (in forty paragraphs or so, using well thought-out sentences) anything in the game in order to reach your pre-determined conclusion of the game showing lots of promise which justifies you not getting a refund.

Reading that you're dissapointed is not something that will satisfy me (because I don't give a crap about that). Surprise me? yes, a lot. but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Loiosh posted:

not who it was directed at, but while I don't disagree with the fact that the US is a bit too hung up on punishment over rehabilitation, the problem is that "addiction" to something that in and of itself isn't illegal is a very wide and fuzzy grey line. it's easy to slap people for being addicted to things that are illegal because you're not slapping them for addiction, you're slapping them for the inherent illegality. it gets a bit trickier to try and make a broad and wide-ranging litigation for something that's comparatively more ephemeral like "buying too many sofa cushions"-- which is why addiction rehab tends to involve familial intervention and trying to convince the addictee that they are in fact addicted to whatever thing, be it video games or in app purchases or the internet or eating too many cookies or whatever it is that's giving them that endorphin rush. trying to litigate that opens a really big can of ethical worms that i don't think anyone but the most puritanical of lawmakers would be comfortable poking at-- and god knows i wouldn't trust anyone in office to try and grasp that particular snake.

so yeah while I may think that excessive in-app purchases and $18,000 completionist packages are scummy and lovely, it's not my place to pin someone's arms to their side, or advocate someone else to do it for me-- they and the people around them that are affected by their actions should be the ones responsible for saying at what point "too much" is. what people value and what amount they have to spend on those things is way, way too nebulous to try and restrict in any official capacity.

and this comes back around to that whole "promise of a delivered product" vs "open financials" thing, because saying "I will spend $100m to make this video game" and spending it on expensive vacations and airplane furniture is a far more concrete and enforceable thing to point at and say "yes, this is actually objectively A Bad Thing", whereas the in-app purchases are exactly what they say on the tin. (the subject of catfishing sods on facebook for marketing purposes is a :can: i won't touch)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 14, 2015

• Locked thread