Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sorry what did you call me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Lao's main reason to exist is so that you can steal his clothes and use them as a fashion set on somebody who isn't Lao.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I swapped Elma and Lin's outfits as their fashion gear first chance I got.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Senerio posted:

A few of those make sense, like "You can't take Irina and Gwin because you're rescuing Irina's team from behind enemy lines"

Gwin and Doug's roles in that mission could easily be done from your party though with just a couple different lines of dialogue.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Tender Bender posted:

Gwin and Doug's roles in that mission could easily be done from your party though with just a couple different lines of dialogue.

Doug, yeah, but Irina and Gwin are explicitly a team.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have never stumbled upon any of Gwin's affinity missions and I hear they're necessary for other cooler missions with better rewards

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I have never stumbled upon any of Gwin's affinity missions and I hear they're necessary for other cooler missions with better rewards

His affinity missions are mandatory for the story. Thankfully they only require 1 heart to do.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gwin's affinity missions give you the most important thing in the whole game:

Pets for your barracks. :3:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Senerio posted:

Doug, yeah, but Irina and Gwin are explicitly a team.

Fair enough, but since Gwin's whole role in that mission is to show up at the end and apologize for not being with Irina it seems like it would've worked :v:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Heads up: The evac site is South. :suicide:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Wasn't he not with Irina because he was doing stuff on another part of the map, and Irina fell off a cliff and didn't have magical protagonist powers to jump off the highest ledge in the game in high heels and land safely?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Senerio posted:

Wasn't he not with Irina because he was doing stuff on another part of the map, and Irina fell off a cliff and didn't have magical protagonist powers to jump off the highest ledge in the game in high heels and land safely?

Really she should've just let herself die so she could be resurrected near the closest landmark. NPCs are stupid.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Senerio posted:

Yep. So he could've been off doing stuff with the PC instead.

I mean it's not this specific instance that bugs me, so much as it being symptomatic of how every mission in the game, including every story event, only has dialogue for very specific party members and forces your party construction to fit.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I love the Fashion Gear option in the game. Currently my party are all wearing these elaborate armor sets as their fashion outfits, and my character is wearing a tank top and jeans.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

I've been wearing the formal suit since I got it. For pretty much the entire main story I was using the leather jacket and those jeans with a flower pattern up one leg. (Redesigned Jeans, I think?)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
For the longest time, my character had that Pink BLADE outfit, because I was doing a lot of running over rough terrain, and it was funny to see it in heels.

Then I got a Skell, so now she wears a tank top and jeans.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

His affinity missions are mandatory for the story. Thankfully they only require 1 heart to do.

I'm in chapter 10 and have never done his missions because I certainly don't have pets running around my barracks

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The fashion gear option is a godsend considering that 99% of the armor looks absolutely terrible.

I took the only classy ensemble I could find (had to mix-and-match from 2 sets) and made it the team uniform.

(the game adds bike shorts for Lin, which they probably could have got away with not doing in this case, but TBH I wish everyone had the shorts because they add that sporty touch)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I'm in chapter 10 and have never done his missions because I certainly don't have pets running around my barracks

That's cause they're for chapter 11. (I think it's mostly to serve as a level gate, since you need to be level 41 for his second mission.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Have you looked around the city with FrontierNav at all? Affinity Missions show up regardless of whether you fulfill the requirements for them unless the previous mission in the chain hasn't been done. The specific mission for unlocking pets is in the commercial district with a client named Mathias and you can definitely do it way before chapter 10

Looper fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 14, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Senerio posted:

I love the Fashion Gear option in the game. Currently my party are all wearing these elaborate armor sets as their fashion outfits, and my character is wearing a tank top and jeans.

How do I get this, do you have to earn it? Haven't found the option.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

How do I get this, do you have to earn it? Haven't found the option.

Press X on the equipment menu.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saigyouji posted:

That's cause they're for chapter 11. (I think it's mostly to serve as a level gate, since you need to be level 41 for his second mission.)

So I can't do Elma or Lin heart to hearts that need pets until I finish ch 11??

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looper posted:

Have you looked around the city with FrontierNav at all? Affinity Missions show up regardless of whether you fulfill the requirements for them unless the previous mission in the chain hasn't been done. The specific mission for unlocking pets is in the commercial district with a client named Mathias and you can definitely do it way before chapter 10

Nvm. Ty looper

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

bef posted:

So I can't do Elma or Lin heart to hearts that need pets until I finish ch 11??

Nah, I was saying you need to do them to unlock Chapter 11. His first mission is like, level 20?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Whose stupid rear end idea ta Monolith was it to have your benched party not level up? What the hell JRPG year is this? It's okay if we have like 5 playable characters but there are what, 17, 18 in this game?

Outside that, I'm glad in this game affinity/heart to heart icons lead to actual quests. I haven't even began chapter 4 and have already completed three of them. I'm still racking my brain to understand how this one studio built such a huge loving game and didn't end up with it coming off as a buggy mess.

Just take 3 randoms with you into a skell base and Phoenix a bunch of dudes in one shot a few times. Boom +20 levels

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Senerio posted:

H.B. is the exception to the rule, honestly.

Alexa is the best.
HB is number 3 husbando behind Lara Nara and Lara Mara.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Yelv reminds me of Bart a lot. He just needs some whips.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
murderess has a soul voice for when she inflicts sleep, but no art that actually inflicts sleep.

a+ design.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Inflammatory posted:

murderess has a soul voice for when she inflicts sleep, but no art that actually inflicts sleep.

a+ design.

Skells can inflict sleep remember.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zore posted:

Skells can inflict sleep remember.

The legendary Nap Time beam

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

The weirdest fixed soul voice I've seen so far is how Lao has one for female party members healing him. Which I'm pretty sure I've only seen triggered by me.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Saigyouji posted:

The weirdest fixed soul voice I've seen so far is how Lao has one for female party members healing him. Which I'm pretty sure I've only seen triggered by me.

I love how you can make the MC basically say "D-Don't heal me baka"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

There are absolutely female party members with healing skills. Irina has Smooth Recovery for example.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Yelv reminds me of Tidus if he took after Jecht. It's funny that he hangs out by the hair stylist building though. Essence Exchange is a really great art for the player if you're using a Photon Saber, but if Yelv has it equipped it seems to only exist to get him killed.

Senerio posted:

Well I would hope so given how many loving tank tops the game gives you.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 14, 2015

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Further corroborating my theory that the denizens of the white whale were the third class citizens the Golgafrinchans sent away

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

There are absolutely female party members with healing skills. Irina has Smooth Recovery for example.

Thing is, you're never realistically going to use Lao with anyone but Elma and Lin.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If you don't bench Elma and Lin for every quest that does not require them, you're playing the game wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Saigyouji posted:

Thing is, you're never realistically going to use Lao with anyone but Elma and Lin.

Why is that?

• Locked thread