Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Jesus loving Christ.

I don't want to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not entirely sure why they included the pale elves from Hellboy 2, but it still looks more enjoyable than Into Darkness.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm not entirely sure why they included the pale elves from Hellboy 2, but it still looks more enjoyable than Into Darkness.

It has to be better than Into Darkness. That movie was so bad.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Those uniforms are more like the old ones.

Ironically for all the bitching I've seen elsewhere so far for 90 seconds of footage it looks the most like a movie based off the original series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

It's been some time since I've run through TOS but if any of that is a callback to something that happened, I'm missing it

Frank Gorshin black-and-white allegory people?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's incredibly f*cked up that Star Trek of all things is going for a camp, goofy tone. Gene Roddenberry must be rolling in his grave ...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's a lot of writers!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

What determines whether a writer gets an "AND" credit or an "&" credit?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was a cliffhanger moment somewhere in that trailer that's almost definitely a callback to Star Trek V

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
& is usually a writing team while AND is someone else's draft that got enough used to qualify for a credit.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^ well you learn something new all the time

Supercar Gautier posted:

What determines whether a writer gets an "AND" credit or an "&" credit?

Orci is the only writer returning from the previous two films, and he's also a producer on this one. Simon Pegg comes first cause he's one of the stars, and Doug Jung probably did the lion's share of the work on the actual screenplay.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
SImon Pegg killed Star Trek.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That many writers is never, ever, a good sign.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Orci is actual poison

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Just as Jurassic World felt like poo poo because it was a dinosaur movie built on the premise that "nobody gives a poo poo about dinosaurs anymore," this will probably feel like poo poo because it's a Star Trek movie built on the premise that "nobody gives a poo poo about outer space stuff anymore."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Just as Jurassic World felt like poo poo because it was a dinosaur movie built on the premise that "nobody gives a poo poo about dinosaurs anymore," this will probably feel like poo poo because it's a Star Trek movie built on the premise that "nobody gives a poo poo about outer space stuff anymore."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ZVrbnG97w

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The most critically and commercially successful Star Trek film of all time, as well as being a fan favourite, was a fish out of water comedy about saving the whales set in 1980s San Francisco; it's always been a slightly naff, tounge in cheek series. With that many writing credits I do wonder if it'll be a case of too many cooks, but if it's bad it won't be because it's set outside the Enterprise and has comedy in it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

^^^ well you learn something new all the time

Orci is the only writer returning from the previous two films, and he's also a producer on this one. Simon Pegg comes first cause he's one of the stars, and Doug Jung probably did the lion's share of the work on the actual screenplay.

Kind of. Pegg did do the bulk of the writing, he's confirmed in interviews that he wanted to quit a few times until Abrams convinced him otherwise. Orci was booted off long ago (And likely wrote the first draft), the other writers are contractual obligations. Subsequent drafts after Orci were all done by Pegg/Jung.

Again, Orci is just there because of contractual obligations. He essentially poisoned his own relationship with Paramount by scaring them off Joe Cornish and then insisting he direct it himself despite never being behind a camera. He's essentially nuts.

It's not really the dire situation it looks, though I can see why they wanted to flash past that credit quick.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Destroying the Enterprise in the third movie? Sounds familiar...

(Also: threat to Earth, check. No bad-guy supership yet, but maybe all those little ones come from one.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

Kind of. Pegg did do the bulk of the writing, he's confirmed in interviews that he wanted to quit a few times until Abrams convinced him otherwise. Orci was booted off long ago (And likely wrote the first draft), the other writers are contractual obligations.

Payne and McKay worked on Orci's first draft with him -- the draft that got him fired -- which is why they're credited.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The most critically and commercially successful Star Trek film of all time, as well as being a fan favourite, was a fish out of water comedy about saving the whales set in 1980s San Francisco

The Voyage Home made $133 million. Into Darkness pulled in $467 million.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 14, 2015

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The most critically and commercially successful Star Trek film of all time, as well as being a fan favourite, was a fish out of water comedy about saving the whales set in 1980s San Francisco; it's always been a slightly naff, tounge in cheek series.

If you're a dweeb that ignores '09 I suppose.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Timby posted:

Payne and McKay worked on Orci's first draft with him -- the draft that got him fired -- which is why they're credited.

Yeah sorry I mean it's why they're all still credited despite the fact they were fired. Usually they'd get a story credit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wasn't even aware the next film had even been shot yet.

And I find out that not only has it been filmed, but it was filmed by Justin loving Lin.

Because gently caress Star Trek.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well that trailer was garbage.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah sorry I mean it's why they're all still credited despite the fact they were fired. Usually they'd get a story credit.

Writing credits are weird, and they always have been with the Star Trek movies -- Jack Sowards is credited with The Wrath of Khan despite Meyer actually writing it; Steve Meerson and Peter Krikes have a screenplay credit on The Voyage Home (they wrote the draft with Eddie Murphy in it) even though Bennett and Meyer threw out everything they did; Mark Rosenthal and Lawrence Konner have a story credit on The Undiscovered Country even though they didn't actually do any real work on the movie.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The new trailer looks great. It looks like a modernized version of TOS and I have faith in the Peggster to have written something at least a little bit interesting and unconventional. Even the alien planet set has a little bit of the charming fakeness of the TOS sets. Then again I mostly liked Into Darkness despite its problems so what do I know.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Must the Enterprise be destroyed every movie?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

The new trailer looks great. It looks like a modernized version of TOS and I have faith in the Peggster to have written something at least a little bit interesting and unconventional. Even the alien planet set has a little bit of the charming fakeness of the TOS sets. Then again I mostly liked Into Darkness despite its problems so what do I know.

This is a funny post. I laughed.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

wyoming posted:

If you're a dweeb that ignores '09 I suppose.

He said Star Trek, not hog poo poo.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

that trailer looked pretty rad and there were some good jokes so i think this will be a good movie

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm eagerly waiting for supermechagodzillas review of the movie, due next week or so. Unironically.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Are those Buffy Vampires a race from one of the tv shows?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just appalled this Star Trek film looks like Star Trek. Seriously

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I just appalled this Star Trek film looks like Star Trek. Seriously

It looks like Star Trek Nemesis.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Trailer gave away way too much, and seemed a little too Fast'n'Furiosy whatever that means. Not hating because Trek movies work well as action movies, but I fear this will continue to move away from what was really entertaining about ST09.

Will lose my poo poo if Idris Elba is the Sisko though (he;s definitely a Klingon)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
If this exact trailer came out and nobody knew Justin Lin was the director nobody would be complaining about it looking like Fast and Furious. It actually looks remarkably consistent with the previous two films, more so than I thought it would. I don't even like F&F or Justin Lin, I just thought this trailer was very good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Junkie Disease posted:

He said Star Trek, not hog poo poo.

So why are you discussing STIV?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like Fast and Furious. I also like Star Trek. Mashing them together will be interesting. Whether it's GOOD, who knows?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks dope. Everything I wished those lovely TNG movies were when my dad took me to see them as a kid.

Plus, Idris Elba as a weird Alien? hell yeah dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Justin Lin actually saved the Fast and the Furious franchise from just being bad trash about morons zipping around on cars and bikes and made it a worthwhile action series. Just compare The Fast and the Furious to Fast Five or Fast & Furious 6. He's actually one of the reasons, aside from Simon Pegg's script, that I'm looking forward to this movie.

• Locked thread