Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Im trying to play Regrowth (still stuck behind witchery, cant get alter power up to progress, all my seeds are at 10/10/10, cant get all the tier 3 seeds as the parts arent dropping.

Using villiger spawn eggs in recs for other rec, clicking the runic alter and using the egg to spawn a villiger instead of adding it to the rec FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!
Thaumcraft gated behind greatwood sapling, which is gated behind witchery, which is gated behind this loving altar.....

unable to find working ID's to cheat poo poo in for witchery....

What seeds are you having difficulty with? I don't remember which are "tier 3."

Plant a large variety of plants to boost altar power. Do this in a very large area. Place an arthana on the altar to double the range it looks for stuff to draw power from.

If you're having trouble with creeper hearts, make an arthana and enchant it with Looting III. (You can use a spellbinding cloth from Botania to wipe undesirable enchants from an item.) Use the arthana for the killing blow on a creeper to increase the chance of a heart dropping.

Don't right click on the runic altar to add items; stand on top of it, look straight down, and open your inventory. Hover over the item and press Q to eject it onto the altar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

What seeds are you having difficulty with? I don't remember which are "tier 3."

Plant a large variety of plants to boost altar power. Do this in a very large area. Place an arthana on the altar to double the range it looks for stuff to draw power from.

If you're having trouble with creeper hearts, make an arthana and enchant it with Looting III. (You can use a spellbinding cloth from Botania to wipe undesirable enchants from an item.) Use the arthana for the killing blow on a creeper to increase the chance of a heart dropping.

Don't right click on the runic altar to add items; stand on top of it, look straight down, and open your inventory. Hover over the item and press Q to eject it onto the altar.

Ok, Arthana, will look into this.

Seeds, creeper seeds, rutile seeds (need impure titanium) amber seeds, need amber to make it...

havent looked at speed seeds yet

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Ok, Arthana, will look into this.

Seeds, creeper seeds, rutile seeds (need impure titanium) amber seeds, need amber to make it...

havent looked at speed seeds yet

the rutile and amber seeds you bootstrap using material from the nether, the nether rutile and nether amber ores

there's a complicated material hardness progression but you can skip it altogether with Botania's Rod of the Shifting Crust (equal trade)

creeper seeds just need that creeper heart which is a rare drop from creepers (looting III arthana)

az
Dec 2, 2005

Thanks friend, let me fire off a couple questions before I assemble all of those. Biome mods, advisable for nice looking worlds? What about farming and animals, do you still need mods to enjoy that? That technic pack, worth it or overkill? How about monsters and enemies, does the basegame have enough variety these days?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Meskhenet posted:

Im trying to play Regrowth (still stuck behind witchery, cant get alter power up to progress, all my seeds are at 10/10/10, cant get all the tier 3 seeds as the parts arent dropping.

I was going to post a picture of my Regrowth setup, but it looks like th update broke my save. Luckily the witchery wiki is very good.

For more altar power, I hope you have the skull, chalice and dagger on the altar. You'll also need all the witchery and vanilla trees in range, plus as many flowers as you can find. I don't remember altar power being a big issue, but I was playing an earlier version. I think I just spammed the ground with bonemeal and broke any duplicate stuff, then used a bit of mutandis to get some witchery plants there too.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

I was going to post a picture of my Regrowth setup, but it looks like th update broke my save. Luckily the witchery wiki is very good.

For more altar power, I hope you have the skull, chalice and dagger on the altar. You'll also need all the witchery and vanilla trees in range, plus as many flowers as you can find. I don't remember altar power being a big issue, but I was playing an earlier version. I think I just spammed the ground with bonemeal and broke any duplicate stuff, then used a bit of mutandis to get some witchery plants there too.

ok ive got a skull candle, ill remove that and put a plain skull down.
my land is full of trees. do i want to chop down any duplicates?

Flowers abound as i bonemealed the place to death as well.

I cant get the chalise, it requires something i cant get. Dragon stone or something. (same reason i cant get any chalk i think.)

Let me boot it and ty the skull.
im at 2100, need 3080.

Ok, skull pushed it to over 4k :0

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 14, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you use AE2, before doing ANYTHING else disable meteors and channels. Trust.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Meskhenet posted:

ok ive got a skull candle, ill remove that and put a plain skull down.
my land is full of trees. do i want to chop down any duplicates?

Flowers abound as i bonemealed the place to death as well.

I cant get the chalise, it requires something i cant get. Dragon stone or something. (same reason i cant get any chalk i think.)

Let me boot it and ty the skull.
im at 2100, need 3080.

Ok, skull pushed it to over 4k :0

Duplicates won't hurt your score, they just waste space that you may need if you're trying to force as many plants as possible into a small area. And yeah, multipliers are amazingly important if you want to boost your altar score. Get a wither skull as soon as you have the relevant seeds (nether or skeleton, I can't remember).

Turtlicious posted:

Bah, channels are a piece of cake if you're a computer programmer with years of experience debugging other people's code
But seriously, once you figure out P2P bridges connected to single pieces of dense cable with regular cable connected to the other sides, channels become less of an issue. Also quartz fibres to keep your networks separate. I think the main problem is that there's no diagnostic tool which will answer the question "what is using the channels in this cable?"

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

Compass solves meteors it takes like 10 minutes to get all the presses. I hated the meteor thing until I actually did it once or twice. Now I kinda like it. Still not the biggest fan of the in-world crafting. It seems needlessly awkward.

Channels are one of the best things about AE2. They make base building a bit more fun than usual and you can plan things out and expand your system and oh wow.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Channels werent so bad, i even managed to get my network up and running in blightfall..

Sure i had to build an entire building ontop of my base to hide the spiders web of cabling, and dig out most of the underground too, but in the end it worked.

And i finally got my greatwood sapling in regrowth.
Chapter 11 is still technically locked out for me, but i can at least use thaumcraft to start automating poo poo (that is if i can get coal to my endoflames without all hell breaking loose.)
Please tell me golems harvest these flowers properly and dont uproot them

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Meskhenet posted:

I think i asked on the goonrun Disasterpiece Theatre server to be whitelisted, Havent checked or tried to log yet, but their mod list looks pretty good.

You haven't yet, but please feel free to do so! We've got almost every mod that's been mentioned recently, outside of the big modpacks obviously, and I really think it strikes a good balance between magic and technology mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a good magic pack out there? I'm looking for something like FTB's magequest pack but with more of the stuff from FTB infinity in it, like those magic bees or whatever. Basically I'm looking for an excuse to build a cool house with a bunch of functioning rooms in it that are all wizard themed and Thaumcraft is pretty good at that but I want more stuff to build. Running FTB infinity just crashes me for some reason on map start so a more focused pack would be nice if possible.

Also would be nice if it worked with JSTR texture pack.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wolfsbane posted:

Bah, channels are a piece of cake if you're a computer programmer with years of experience debugging other people's code
But seriously, once you figure out P2P bridges connected to single pieces of dense cable with regular cable connected to the other sides, channels become less of an issue. Also quartz fibres to keep your networks separate. I think the main problem is that there's no diagnostic tool which will answer the question "what is using the channels in this cable?"

Seriously, channels are easy, even without P2P sillyness. If you're having trouble with them all you need to do is use some smart cable. And then it becomes trivially easy to figure out what's using up your channels.

And meteors, while dumb, are at least easy to find.

The real big hurdle/issue with AE2 is the damned inscriber system. Everything from having to find the damned presses (which again loops back to meteors) to having to loving deal with the inscribers with their lack of internal storage. It's not hard to set up something simple with chests and pipes to feed them supplied, or even a proper AE2 network setup (even if it does eat channels from all the export buffers you use), but the fact that I have to deal with such bullshit drives me up the wall.

Oh, also getting your first charged certus can be stupidly aggravating.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

The real big hurdle/issue with AE2 is the damned inscriber system. Everything from having to find the damned presses (which again loops back to meteors) to having to loving deal with the inscribers with their lack of internal storage. It's not hard to set up something simple with chests and pipes to feed them supplied, or even a proper AE2 network setup (even if it does eat channels from all the export buffers you use), but the fact that I have to deal with such bullshit drives me up the wall.

you can "automate" the inscriber using four hoppers, where "automate" is "build lots of one thing without having to move each input in manually"

the trick is to know that you can rotate the inscriber to be in any orientation, and the sidedness of the block orients with the rotation

the "top" of the inscriber is the top input
the "bottom" of the inscriber is the bottom input
and you input the middle input from the side and pull from the side

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Alkydere posted:

Seriously, channels are easy, even without P2P sillyness. If you're having trouble with them all you need to do is use some smart cable. And then it becomes trivially easy to figure out what's using up your channels.

Smart cable is fine if your wiring is fairly compact. If you have a run of ME glass cable snaking half way across your base, buried in floors and ceilings, and you've forgotten half the machines it connects to, it's less good. Plus if I stick some smart cable in a cable run it only tells me how many channels are used downstream of that point. What I really want is some tool I can click on the wire with and be told how many more things I can connect to that wire before something somewhere starts silently failing to work. I agree it's not impossibly hard, it's just a bit more painful than it should be.

And yeah, the AE2 stuff advanced inscriber needs to be part of the main mod. Make it absurdly expensive, I don't care, just let me replace my room full of pipes with a single block once I get up and running. Oh, and inscribers and chargers need to take acceleration upgrades while we're at it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

you can "automate" the inscriber using four hoppers, where "automate" is "build lots of one thing without having to move each input in manually"

the trick is to know that you can rotate the inscriber to be in any orientation, and the sidedness of the block orients with the rotation

the "top" of the inscriber is the top input
the "bottom" of the inscriber is the bottom input
and you input the middle input from the side and pull from the side

The issue is that hoppers = hot laggy death for multiplayer servers. The things are horrible and I'll do everything I can to avoid them. While it's a bit slower you can also emulate the exact same effect with just chests and pipes (EIO, TE, or if you really hate yourself, Buildcraft) which is exactly what I do. You can even serve multiple inscribers from one chest since they are kinda smart in that they won't let you put invalid materials in them (i.e. an inscriber with a calculation press won't accept a gold bar or a blob of silicone). Of course this could all be avoided if inscribers a) let you put a loving stack inside them and b) if they weren't so finnicky about sides.

I've never played in a pack/on a server with the Advanced Inscriber and it sounds like I desperately need to. On the other hand I'm spoiled by admins like Taffer who would set up alternate recipes for the chips. Why yes, I'd unironically love to pay twice or more in resources to build the damned chip until I get automation setup.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

The issue is that hoppers = hot laggy death for multiplayer servers. The things are horrible and I'll do everything I can to avoid them. While it's a bit slower you can also emulate the exact same effect with just chests and pipes (EIO, TE, or if you really hate yourself, Buildcraft) which is exactly what I do. You can even serve multiple inscribers from one chest since they are kinda smart in that they won't let you put invalid materials in them (i.e. an inscriber with a calculation press won't accept a gold bar or a blob of silicone). Of course this could all be avoided if inscribers a) let you put a loving stack inside them and b) if they weren't so finnicky about sides.

I've never played in a pack/on a server with the Advanced Inscriber and it sounds like I desperately need to. On the other hand I'm spoiled by admins like Taffer who would set up alternate recipes for the chips. Why yes, I'd unironically love to pay twice or more in resources to build the damned chip until I get automation setup.

yeah, it was just an example of how easy it is to automate, even with low tech tree progression

on an aside, has anyone actually tried to fix the hopper, or if not, what about it makes it so laggy

like i'd use the hell out of an alternate hopper that didn't have the "sucks up items on top of it" property if that was what caused the lag

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The server a friend of mine is running doesn't have AE2 stuff, and I just got a processor autocrafting setup that uses a subnetwork to handle the actual crafting and exposes it to the rest of the network/crafting system via a single interface. Five inscribers, six storage busses, 3 export busses, a block-style interface connection to the main network, and a panel-style interface as an item buffer, and two of the cards that let you specify more than one item in an export bus. I followed this tutorial, though I had to download the world (link included in the imgur gallery) to really get a look at configuration so I could get it working.

My to-do list has relocating the MACS and getting more autocrafting things set up, getting an enderman farm running so I can start making tesseracts and get rid of having water in the passively-cooled Big Reactor, and probably expand the reactor and upgrade the EnderIO capacitor banks so that we can actually run laser drills off of it. Really need to get EZ-Nuke up and running too, now that the server owner added ComputerCraft.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

What I really want is some tool I can click on the wire with and be told how many more things I can connect to that wire before something somewhere starts silently failing to work. I agree it's not impossibly hard, it's just a bit more painful than it should be.

So you haven't used the Network Tool then?

http://ae-mod.info/Network-Tool/

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
It's sort of late game (eyes of ender and enderium) but one chest + TE retrivers are best way to go with inscribers I think.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, it was just an example of how easy it is to automate, even with low tech tree progression

on an aside, has anyone actually tried to fix the hopper, or if not, what about it makes it so laggy

like i'd use the hell out of an alternate hopper that didn't have the "sucks up items on top of it" property if that was what caused the lag

Cauldron and fastcraft both improve it a lot. It's still not great but it's about 10-100x better than vanilla.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~

Taffer posted:

Cauldron and fastcraft both improve it a lot. It's still not great but it's about 10-100x better than vanilla.

Taffer can you shoot me an email? You had the best server I've played on with OMP a close second. I'd like to ask you some questions. Tgharlan@gmail.com

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

TheresaJayne posted:

So you haven't used the Network Tool then?

http://ae-mod.info/Network-Tool/

Yes. Have you? It doesn't tell you anything about channels as far as I can tell, it just gives you a list of everything attached to the network. It's theoretically helpful for diagnosing problems with subnetworks and checking that your P2P bridges are set up properly, but I've never found a use for it in practice.

bigperm posted:

It's sort of late game (eyes of ender and enderium) but one chest + TE retrivers are best way to go with inscribers I think.
You can do the same thing with regular servos and whitelists. The main problem is that it makes a slow process even slower.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

bigperm posted:

Nah, one chest with an ME interface pointed to it, followed by TE servo into itemducts leading to the inscribers (can't remember if you need filters for the initial four). Servo again to a filtered inscriber (pressed metal on top, redstone in middle, pressed silicon bottom). Servo for the last time to get the finished product, piping it directly into the same interface (or a centralized one). Significantly cheaper.

I've done it so many times now I try to make it look pretty and/or different from the last time.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Nah, one chest with an ME interface pointed to it, followed by TE servo into itemducts leading to the inscribers (can't remember if you need filters for the initial four). Servo again to a filtered inscriber (pressed metal on top, redstone in middle, pressed silicon bottom). Servo for the last time to get the finished product, piping it directly into the same interface (or a centralized one). Significantly cheaper.

I've done it so many times now I try to make it look pretty and/or different from the last time.

if its in the pack you can also use Steve's Factory Manager

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
This was my inscriber set up on the FYAD server. A giant block.

Here's the guts.

Bottom 4 inscribers are for the circuits, top four are for making the processors.

All connects to a chest, with a import and export bus on it for auto crafting. Just dump some stuff in there, and bam you got processors.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Alkydere posted:

Hoppers are not that bad! Everyone around here acts like placing any Hoppers ever will melt your server, kill your pets, and ruin everything forever. And thats simply not the case.

Yes, they used to be awful. They aren't nearly as bad anymore. Yes, if you place a whole ton of them, they can be a problem, but you're more likely to run into lag caused by animal or mob farms or improper pipe systems before a handful of Hoppers to automate some inscribers.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

Hoppers are not that bad! Everyone around here acts like placing any Hoppers ever will melt your server, kill your pets, and ruin everything forever. And thats simply not the case.

Yes, they used to be awful. They aren't nearly as bad anymore. Yes, if you place a whole ton of them, they can be a problem, but you're more likely to run into lag caused by animal or mob farms or improper pipe systems before a handful of Hoppers to automate some inscribers.

They are definitely still bad. They're not completely terrible when you simply use them to feed a machine, but they are horrendously awful when they're used to pull from an inventory, and god forbid if it's a double chest, that alone can outlag multiple large industrial bases. As mentioned, cauldron and fastcraft both improve this significantly, but hoppers in all situations will be 10-1000 times slower than using ducts or AE or EIO conduits instead, even with cauldron or fastcraft.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Serifina posted:

Hoppers are bad! Everyone around here acts like placing tons of Hoppers will melt your server, kill your pets, and ruin everything forever. And thats simply the case.

I used to play on someone's server, and someone had an auto-smelting room of furnaces chests and hoppers with about 20 hoppers in it, I think it took up about 50% of the CPU cycles despite the fact we had laggy crashy mods like thaumcraft and ars magica.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Right, I feel like I've mostly been using this thread for moaning recently, so to make up for it here are some screenshots of some of the stuff I've been playing with in BFSR.

I'm not very artistic, so I decided to blatantly steal a base design from the internet. This seems to be part of a 2D game artist's portfolio. He's pretty good.

And here's my current interpretation. Did I mention I'm really bad at building? I've been putting off fixing the outside but I really need to get to it at some point.

The main door is a carpenter's garage door. Works pretty well. The steps go down to a nether portal that leads to the other bases on the server.

The farms outside are just the usual. I haven't bothered with a proper crop farm yet, I just hacked together the world's most inefficient sugarcane and pumpkin farm using annihilation planes so that I can live off pumpkin pie.

Inside, the centre is mostly empty. The smeltery is only used for making clear glass at the moment, I may do something else with that space eventually. Machines on the right are for autocrafting.

The left tower is full of autocrafting. There used to be more of a mess before I added the advanced inscriber. The purple blocks are blast resistant, retrofitted after an unfortunate creeper incident. I believe that multiple small crafters are the only way to do multiple tasks at once, but I'd like to be proved wrong.

The right tower has the interface buffers to speed up crafting, as well as the fluid systems (lava, redstone, ender). Resonant ender is made on demand, the other two are just constantly filled by export buses.

This is the original AE system, there are just drives and terminals here now. All the individual sections are connected by P2P tunnels through an ad-hoc network. I've actually run out of channels there, I'll need to add a controller if I want to expand again. I also need to remember to blast protect this stuff, although the water pool outside should help.

The back corner is ore processing and Mekanism. I know there's no real need to use ore tripling in BFSR, but I need the hydrogen anyway for my jetpack, so why not? The input chest is supposed to be able to handle any regular or nether ore, but I've been too lazy to set it up properly. I need to add an induction smelter so I can use cinnabar on the things Mekanism can't triple.

There's a servo pushing things out of the input chest, and the rest is just whitelisted filters.

The infusers are kept full with export buses because it's easier. There's also an igneous extruder here for cobblestone (mostly for lava).

This is my auto-smasher, to deal with the fact that silicon can't be machine processed if you silk touch it. The block placer is filled by an export bus, and if there is silicon in the system the level emitter is turned off and the clock starts the block breaker smashing stuff.

This is the auto-crystal system. The comparator and clock auto-eject whatever is in the dropper (seeds, or the components of fluix crystals) into the block of water inside the growth accelerators. There's a whitelisted annihilation plane in there that picks them up once they've grown. Level emitters turn the accelerators on and off. Yes, I could replace this with a single AE stuff block. No, I'm not going to.

Underground is still ugly. Big reactor with an extra buffer, pretty standard. Always keep a stack of yellorite in a regular chest just in case :)

Basic grinder based mob system using fans and cursed earth. The mob essence goes to auto enchanters to be turned into books. Everything else goes into a subnetwork just full of drops. Luckily some of these mobs drop 1k storage drives :)

This is the disenchanting system. Formation plane drops armour and weapons on the belt, enchantment router splits things into enchanted and not. The non-enchanted (or enchanted with things I don't sort for) stuff ends up in the same bin as the disenchanted stuff, and the enchanted books go back into the AE system. The lever dumps the waste chest into the bin.

So yeah, that's it so far. I built this base to experiment with AE, and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on it now.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsbane posted:

Right, I feel like I've mostly been using this thread for moaning recently, so to make up for it here are some screenshots of some of the stuff I've been playing with in BFSR.

I'm not very artistic, so I decided to blatantly steal a base design from the internet. This seems to be part of a 2D game artist's portfolio. He's pretty good.

Where did you find that? its neat

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Alkydere posted:

And meteors, while dumb, are at least easy to find.

Oh, also getting your first charged certus can be stupidly aggravating.

Automated inscribers was the very first thing i ever automated. It took me multiple tries though. I got stuck at the very end wondering why nothing was being taken out intot eh network when i realised i had essentia importers and not item importers ><

neogeo0823 posted:

You haven't yet, but please feel free to do so! We've got almost every mod that's been mentioned recently, outside of the big modpacks obviously, and I really think it strikes a good balance between magic and technology mods.

I logged in briefly. Had a quick look around, got a few pages in the warp book, had a porkchop shower then got diconnected ><.

Certainly looks to be a lot of fun though.

Now, can someone give me a step by step walk through on how to automate charcoal block feeding to my endoflames in Regrowth.

And is oil really important? the closest oil fountain i have is half a days trek away from my base :/.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

And is oil really important? the closest oil fountain i have is half a days trek away from my base :/.

No, oil's not at all important on Disasterpiece Theater. However if you want to use it there's a big oilfield to the west of my base (bamboo valley warp page). I was originally tempted to set up there and make a giant field full of well jacks and oil processing stuff/tanks. Not because oil is useful (it's hilariously obsolete with the number of ways you can make ethanol/hootch/syngas and other fuels from farms and such) but because it would look cool.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Now, can someone give me a step by step walk through on how to automate charcoal block feeding to my endoflames in Regrowth.

charcoal blocks don't have a fuel value in regrowth I think (coal does)

but here's the build

you don't need the hopperhock and hourglass if you are using just charcoal

it's literally just a hopper, open crate, pressure plate, a couple of slabs, and three redstone dust

oil is not very important, i generated power in regrowth using a bunch of coal coke ovens and burning the creosote oil in a boiler (10 ovens feeds a 2x2x2 HP boiler)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolfsbane posted:

Stuff like that makes me wary of turning BFSR upside-down, which is probably a good thing. I eventually want to add some quests for making things pretty, which would pretty much just involve crafting a lot of stuff just to show you kinda-sorta looked at it. Some things worth mentioning:

1. You can get some angles with carpenter's blocks.
2. I think you're using chisel, but you would want to go through all the block families and match them up to parts of the picture and write down what they are.
3. I believe OpenBlocks is the one that has paintbrush that may help you get specific colors with certain blocks.
4. Take advantage of the saw in Forge Microblocks to make more delicate shapes.
5. Also review the Artifice stone types for different combinations.
6. If you are trying to gather specific stones the hard way, try to go to higher elevations. I had set up ore gen so that areas above sea level had alternating strata of decorative stone types. That's only true of BFSR though.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I just tried out a harvest golem in Regrowth v0.8.5 and can confirm they DO NOT break sticks when harvesting crops. Gonna go hog loving wild with these things now.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

charcoal blocks don't have a fuel value in regrowth I think (coal does)

but here's the build

you don't need the hopperhock and hourglass if you are using just charcoal

it's literally just a hopper, open crate, pressure plate, a couple of slabs, and three redstone dust

oil is not very important, i generated power in regrowth using a bunch of coal coke ovens and burning the creosote oil in a boiler (10 ovens feeds a 2x2x2 HP boiler)

Thanks. It seems pretty similar to the setup for the tree farm in blightfall.

Is it worth crafting the coal into blocks or just dropping coal as it is?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

Thanks. It seems pretty similar to the setup for the tree farm in blightfall.

Is it worth crafting the coal into blocks or just dropping coal as it is?
A coal block will burn for 10 units of coal instead of 9, so it can be worth it, but you run the risk of the item despawning before the endoflame is ready for a new one. That's what the hourglass, inverted into a hopperhock is for -- every minute it'll pick up the coal block and drop a new one, just to keep the block from despawning.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

If you are feeding coal blocks or charcoal to multiple endoflames, I find the most reliable setup is an hourglass sending a signal to a hopper feeding an open crate to time fuel drops. Divide the burn time of your fuel (40 seconds for coal/charcoal, 400 for coal blocks) by the number of endoflames you're feeding to get the delay you need for the hourglass. As long as there's a mana pool to accept the mana there's no need to worry about items despawning and I find the pressure plate method breaks down when you're trying to feed too many endos off one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mr. Peepers posted:

If you are feeding coal blocks or charcoal to multiple endoflames, I find the most reliable setup is an hourglass sending a signal to a hopper feeding an open crate to time fuel drops. Divide the burn time of your fuel (40 seconds for coal/charcoal, 400 for coal blocks) by the number of endoflames you're feeding to get the delay you need for the hourglass. As long as there's a mana pool to accept the mana there's no need to worry about items despawning and I find the pressure plate method breaks down when you're trying to feed too many endos off one.

yeah, the pressure plate system has the problem of item despawns with blocks because all of the endoflames basically get fed at the same time

i like the pressure plate because no math

for timed drops you could just use a vanilla dropper to grunt out fuel instead of a hopper/crate combo too