Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If my opponent has a notion thief and I activate a draw ability at the end of their turn to dredge, which replacement effect happens?

I think as the controller of the draw I would pick but wanted to confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Molybdenum posted:

If my opponent has a notion thief and I activate a draw ability at the end of their turn to dredge, which replacement effect happens?

I think as the controller of the draw I would pick but wanted to confirm.

The affected player chooses which replacement effect to apply first. The affected player is you!

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2014/07/notion-thief-and-dredge/

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

tl;dr: Dredge wins.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There's actually an upcoming Sedge Troll set. Every card is Sedge Troll.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Ramos posted:

Pay no mind to the pedantic retard, guys.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

OK I guess. So you're saying that Geist will be in SOI too?

See the thing is, I know your a smart guy. You are good at the game. So I'm pretty sure your just trolling at this point. Did you think Avenger of Zendikar was going to be in BFZ because it was the face card of the duel with Oblivion Sower? how about Polukranos and Sun Titan? Where you expecting a Sun Titan reprint???

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

rabidsquid posted:

There's actually an upcoming Sedge Troll set. Every card is Sedge Troll.

Sedge Trolls - Mythic Rare
[insert sedge troll text here]

2/3

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo a sun titan and geist reprint? I get to relive the glory days of INN block! Maybe not with the unburial rites making it as good but drat next standard is looking good! :peanut:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

jassi007 posted:

See the thing is, I know your a smart guy. You are good at the game. So I'm pretty sure your just trolling at this point. Did you think Avenger of Zendikar was going to be in BFZ because it was the face card of the duel with Oblivion Sower? how about Polukranos and Sun Titan? Where you expecting a Sun Titan reprint???

Arcanis the Omnipotent, one of the pit fighter legends from Onslaught, in Kahns?

It's almost like, consistently, one face card is new and the other is a reprint.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Sickening posted:

Removal at mythic it pretty dumb.

You do not what that card at Rare or lower in this limited format, and its otherwise a niche card so it should stay down in price.

Niton posted:

Nissa's durdle game is strong, and her -2 does a decent impression of Gideon's -4 in topdeck mode. I can't imagine what would play her currently, but I don't think you can completely write off anything that durdles so well.

Funny you compare her to Gideon; the two of them are busted together.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ramos posted:

How is Atarka Red going to use it? It requires casting an Eldrazi spell to get the big flashback effect and the deck hasn't even been using the Radiant Flames card.

Also, the Sphinx still costs seven mana. Even if it's a mirror breaker in Miracles, I have difficulty seeing most games get that far with lands, especially since casting one leaves you wide open and vulnerable to a slew of angels.

It wouldn't be useful for it's second mode, but if you have some swiftspear a and abbots out, an atarkas command and this on your turn during the combat phase can wipe their small creatures off the board and allow yours with their prowess triggers to survive and crash in as an alpha strike. It's an instant speed pyroclasm. That's not bad.

Force of will exists in legacy as does daze. Both counters don't require mana, so tapping out wouldn't be the end of the world. Besides your counters can't be countered with this guy in play. So you win.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It wouldn't be useful for it's second mode, but if you have some swiftspear a and abbots out, an atarkas command and this on your turn during the combat phase can wipe their small creatures off the board and allow yours with their prowess triggers to survive and crash in as an alpha strike. It's an instant speed pyroclasm. That's not bad.

This seems incredibly best case scenario/winmore thinking.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

I feel like people are getting very worked up about this.. I don't really pay attention to the other Duel Decks and I didn't think it would've been crazy if Avenger of Zendikar was reprinted.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

I didn't think it would've been crazy if Avenger of Zendikar was reprinted.

I'm crossing my fingers for a reprint on it, or at least something that makes Nissa's dumbass plant tokens relevant

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for a reprint on it, or at least something that makes Nissa's dumbass plant tokens relevant

This Nissa isn't even as good as Vastwood Seer which isn't very good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rinkles posted:

This seems incredibly best case scenario/winmore thinking.

It's the only red sweeper available that's not converge. Why would it be win more? Pyroclasm is a good card that is used all over. Printing a new one for 3 seems pretty relevant in standard. It's dumb that it's mythic, but it could do some work. Radiant flames isn't anywhere near as good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Nissa's being kind of underrated here. Her -2 is a pseudo anthem which could be really sweet along with Gideon anthems in a token based strategy, like maybe Atarka red v:shobon:v.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

I feel like Nissa's being kind of underrated here. Her -2 is a pseudo anthem which could be really sweet along with Gideon anthems in a token based strategy, like maybe Atarka red v:shobon:v.

She isn't aggressive at all... and she's terrible on T3. There is no way she's going to get played in aggressive decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's the only red sweeper available that's not converge. Why would it be win more? Pyroclasm is a good card that is used all over. Printing a new one for 3 seems pretty relevant in standard. It's dumb that it's mythic, but it could do some work. Radiant flames isn't anywhere near as good.

In the context you were describing. It's an obviously powerful card.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

i'm guessing he means sphinx in legacy being anything besides trash, and if not i mean that

e: ah ok well as i say i mean that

also it's very funny to me that this difficult to deal with sphinx up and dies when kozilek returns

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Yeah, Nissa costs 3 and that alone makes her likely to be anywhere from solid as a sideboard card to amazing and a 4 of standard defining card.

I'm inclined to think it's more towards the latter than the former.

E: it doesn't even die to bolt are the people hating on this card crazy

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 14, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Insant pyroclasm at 3 cmc is good enough to make it a very good card. Its being colorless means that protection and red hating spells do nothing.

Radiant flames isn't worse, it is just different. Converge makes radiant flames good in a multi color deck because you can often times choose between 1-3 damage, which is very relevant. There are plenty of times 2 isn't going to do poo poo and a 3 cmc one would. Both are good tools that is going to depend on the meta. It is kind of foolish to directly compare them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Big news for modo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/year-of-modern-flashbacks-2015-12-14

10 ticket modern drafts a new set each week all year long non-phantom events.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, Nissa costs 3 and that alone makes her likely to be anywhere from solid as a sideboard card to amazing and a 4 of standard defining card.

I'm inclined to think it's more towards the latter than the former.

Tibalt confirmed to be the best card ever printed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Tibalt confirmed to be the best card ever printed.

Yeah, good old 1RR Tibs

E: it's the first 3cmc planeswalker to unconditionally give card advantage off a +1 please do not underevaluate Nissa

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 14, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

She isn't aggressive at all... and she's terrible on T3. There is no way she's going to get played in aggressive decks.

Right, I'm just spitballing--atarka red is just the most popular token based deck atm--but Bant tokens seems pretty solid with her.

Tokens strategies want a critical mass of anthem effects. With Nissa and Gideon in standard that's 8 playable "anthems" in GW, 12 if you count retreat. I don't think the curve consideration is that important since growing your team is pretty strong at any point in the game especially in a durdly format as the current one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zoness posted:

Right, I'm just spitballing--atarka red is just the most popular token based deck atm--but Bant tokens seems pretty solid with her.

Tokens strategies want a critical mass of anthem effects. With Nissa and Gideon in standard that's 8 playable "anthems" in GW, 12 if you count retreat. I don't think the curve consideration is that important since growing your team is pretty strong at any point in the game especially in a durdly format as the current one.

I think the new nissa fits pretty much only in the very popular scales deck that casual people love to play. The decks that can pay 1GG on turn 3 consistently are going to be pretty niche and honestly, what deck wants to? I feel like this was one of those cards that was a + 1/1 plant in playtesting and then made 0/1 through bad decision making. Even at 1/1 it wouldn't have been too good and mostly just a small Gideon.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, good old 1RR Tibs

E: it's the first 3cmc planeswalker to unconditionally give card advantage off a +1 please do not underevaluate Nissa

Doesn't seem like unconditional card advantage if you wouldn't play 0cmc sorcery to put a 0/1 plant token into play. The effect is worth fractions of a card.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Sickening posted:

I think the new nissa fits pretty much only in the very popular scales deck that casual people love to play. The decks that can pay 1GG on turn 3 consistently are going to be pretty niche and honestly, what deck wants to? I feel like this was one of those cards that was a + 1/1 plant in playtesting and then made 0/1 through bad decision making. Even at 1/1 it wouldn't have been too good and mostly just a small Gideon.

+1 make a 1/1 belongs on the first Elspeth, one of the best planeswalkers ever printed, at 4 cmc. There is absolutely no chance it was ever +1 make a 1/1.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

Big news for modo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/year-of-modern-flashbacks-2015-12-14

10 ticket modern drafts a new set each week all year long non-phantom events.

This is sweet. More variety is appreciated, usually by the time a new set comes out the old one has gotten stale.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

Bant Tokens might be a home for her. I don't think shes enough to make the deck good though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wouldn't Nissa fit better into some sort of GB aristocrats that uses beating an opponent's face in as another path to victory? I mean, gently caress getting fancy, just value, value, value. Remove this or I get an endless supply of sacrifice fodder.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Force of will exists in legacy as does daze. Both counters don't require mana, so tapping out wouldn't be the end of the world. Besides your counters can't be countered with this guy in play. So you win.

First one is definitely win more if it even comes into effect. Second one I can buy, though the sphinx will be at most a one of in the sideboard due to how long those sorts of matches tend to go.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 14, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nissa's also really good with Hangarback, maybe not as good as Gideon but still

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is anyone concerned about Sphinx of the Last Word? 7 mana seems very achievable now, I feel like blue will get it too good for too long, and also priced out of FNM.

I hope there's a good Mardu deck that can Doom it at least.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Born of the Gods' Tribute is '貢納'. '昂揚' might be ... advancement?

Good point- the closest meaning I can find for the Kanji seems to be Enhance/Reinforce or Invigorate/Energise

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Spitballing for a Magic-y word: Escalate?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is anyone concerned about Sphinx of the Last Word? 7 mana seems very achievable now, I feel like blue will get it too good for too long, and also priced out of FNM.

I hope there's a good Mardu deck that can Doom it at least.

You have either already lost when that drops or it's an irrelevant card the control deck wishes dearly was a board wipe at that point in time

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

BizarroAzrael posted:

And you think this sphinx is what's going to price blue out of FNM?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Sphinx is for Control Mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zemyla posted:

And you think this sphinx is what's going to price blue out of FNM?

Yeah definitely the sphinx that might see play in a control mirror and not the $62 tcg mid 2-drop

• Locked thread