Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you sell 3 of them for $144,500, it could technically work.

But then the guy who run lemons would claim it for $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bajaha posted:

drat those look nice, but definitely getting sticker shock from the price. If you're primarily gaming an ultrawide seems really attractive. How's the FOV support for most games, I remember reading that was an issue with ultrawides.

No idea. I'm just in the 'thinking about it' stage, and who knows when I might actually do something. Hopefully they'll drop in price a bit after the initial release rush wears off. As for Oculus, I'm not really interested in strapping a monitor onto my head, but who knows what the future might hold.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Friend of mine has an oculus and I played with it a bit. It was cool to see in action, but one of the demos he had (rollercoaster) hosed me up for like a day and a half, had a headache / felt motion sick for way too long after. He said you get used to the oculus after a while. If you haven't played with one, I would recomend it, "walking" around in a virtual environment while being able to look around is pretty cool, I just couldn't handle it when the environment moved on its own.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

Friend of mine has an oculus and I played with it a bit. It was cool to see in action, but one of the demos he had (rollercoaster) hosed me up for like a day and a half, had a headache / felt motion sick for way too long after. He said you get used to the oculus after a while. If you haven't played with one, I would recomend it, "walking" around in a virtual environment while being able to look around is pretty cool, I just couldn't handle it when the environment moved on its own.

I have a bit of astigmatism so my Oculus Rift devkit causes a seriously bad headache and really fucks up my sense of balance after 10 minutes of use.

I keep meaning to monkey with the lens settings to see if I can tune it out, but it's not like I have a huge compulsion to invite more brain problems.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

I would wait for some seat time with an oculous before splurging on a gaming monitor. A stationary monitor for gaming might seem like an outdated concept.

This (plus low wife-approval factor) is a large part of why I still have just one 1080p screen at home. However...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I have a bit of astigmatism so my Oculus Rift devkit causes a seriously bad headache and really fucks up my sense of balance after 10 minutes of use.

That might gently caress me up too. As the years go by my eyes seem to be a bit less nearsighted and a bit more astigmatic.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I need more friends that aren't my wife. All my buddies are either dads now (and don't have time for non familial male bonding) or have moved away. It doesn't help that I don't have a regular work place in the town that I live in (I'm a consultant and my clients are 120 mi away).

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The Locator posted:

I have 3 x 27" 1080p, but I apparently hate money, so I'm seriously considering a Acer Predator X34 to replace the center one. It's one of the few 34" ultra-wides that support G-Sync so should be pretty awesome to play games on now that I've got the horsepower to drive a beast like that.

Hahahaha... yeah bout that...

Mates got one of the Predator X34's, and his system which runs a hex core Xeon CPU , 32gb of ram with twin GTX 980's cant push ultra graphics in fallout 4 at native resolution on it.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Ferremit posted:

Hahahaha... yeah bout that...

Mates got one of the Predator X34's, and his system which runs a hex core Xeon CPU , 32gb of ram with twin GTX 980's cant push ultra graphics in fallout 4 at native resolution on it.

That's really surprising to me as its native resolution of 3440x1440 is only ~900 column px (35% or so more pixels) more than the 2560x1440 that I run off an i5-6600K OC'd to 4.2, 16GB of RAM and twin GTX970s, and I can push ultra in FO4 at native. 980s are only ~10% faster than 970s, true, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Twin 970s is also ~10% faster than a 980Ti, so two 980Tis is clearly the solution to this problem :v:

E: Did the pixel math. 2560x1440 = 3.686mpx, 3440x1440 = 4.953mpx, which is 25.6% more pixels. Twin 980s should handle it, barely...

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 14, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gotta love waking up Monday morning from a super vivid nightmare to the soubd of your roommate violently barfing in the bathroom. Gonna be a great week...

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

...And my GF is at the hospital. Just like my nightmare. I am gonna lose my poo poo right now.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Super Aggro Crag posted:

...And my GF is at the hospital. Just like my nightmare. I am gonna lose my poo poo right now.

I thought you already lost all your poo poo last week :rimshot:

Hope your GF is alright.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Still making GBS threads myself every 30 minutes. NFI what is wrong with me. All I ate this weekend was 2 bagels.

Girl just texted me. She has Bronchitis. I was worried sick.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Still making GBS threads myself every 30 minutes. NFI what is wrong with me. All I ate this weekend was 2 bagels.

Girl just texted me. She has Bronchitis. I was worried sick.

That's no fun. I hope your b-hole and her air tubes heal up quickly.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

It breaks all the god drat time :negative:

It's usually the receiver that burns out. it's just unbelievably comfortable and so easy to be precise because you have 2 fingers on the ball, and you only use your index finger for the scroll wheel.

It's the greatest mouse ever made, but it's logitech so the build quality is garbage. Unfortunately, they realized they could poo poo in a box and sell it for $60 because they've roped stores into only carrying their product, so they don't even bother putting that much effort into it these days. Now they're just reboxing old yellowed ball mice and selling them for $60 because gently caress you.

I hear stories of people's workplaces throwing them out because nobody likes them, and that hurts my heart.

e: 4k is 4x 1080p, so if your card can't handle 4k, just play at 1080p on the main monitor with a little AA and it should look better than playing on the other monitors. both of mine are 1440p, so i just rock full res all the time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-T...p8AAOSwNphWbZAL

You may want to check one of those out. Prices are less astronomical and they're pretty comfy. Obviously not gonna cut it if you need cordless, but I don't really see the benefit of a cordless trackball.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Safety Dance posted:

That's no fun. I hope your b-hole and her air tubes heal up quickly.

But not completely, you need those holes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just ordered 50 used golf balls for my brother for xmas. Was very tempted to get these:

But ended up with a Titleist mix instead.

bolind fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 14, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

They're loving knocking it out of the park lately. 3097877 was a shitfest too.

My favorite lately is fresh install windows 7 with sp1 only to have windows updates svchost.exe chew up a usable portion of ram to bring the machine to a crawl, so have to end task and run a hotfix that takes care of it, and another hotfix to fix the hotfix to be able to run all final updates.. I initially thought the machine had a motherboard/ram issue, after 2 different machine types doing it, I figured it had to be something MS related.. Thanks Microsoooooft... :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh what the hell. Of course a "free" car pops up and I have no place to store it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Tee-minus one week until welding lessons! Me irl: :woop: I better get that garage of ours un-hosed on the double. So much water coming in from the outside that it's starting to smell like a musty old basement and I'm not sure what to do about it since it's cold and rainy outside. Filling the gap with sand and then covering it with _______ is the first option, just not sure how effective that's gonna be :ohdear:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_T4Lr0uu8

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 14, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Powershift posted:

I can't stand missmatched screens. i've been searching for a third that matches my pair. when i bought my screens i paid i think $550 a piece. now that they're out of production, they're $1500 new, $1000 used, and $500 with stuck pixels or backlight bleed. and that's all USD so they're like $6,000 canadian at this point.

still not as bad as my mouse :( http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00006B9CR/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I think I just tossed one those, I'll check but dont get your hopes up; it might have had battery leakage issues.
It was absolute crap next to my MS Trackman Explorer which suffers from the same issues your Logitech does.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D68-00007-Trackball-Explorer/dp/B00005853Z/

I might try: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043T7FXE

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For your holiday listening pleasure - the sounds of mid-70s shopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgnaWbPLAks

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Need a making GBS threads update on SAC, it has been hours since the last one

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

Well this is just fantastic.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Goober Peas posted:

"Security to Section 3, Security to Section 3 please."

"Smoking is not permitted on the sales floor. For your convenience, smoking is permitted only in the snack bar."

Even the announcements sound dapper.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Well this is just fantastic.
That's from the abominable store on Lake street! K-Mart showed up and said "hey can we put a fuckin K-Mart in the middle of the street and block the street?" and Minneapolis said "fuckit, have at 'er." Nicollet goes on forever north and south, but then there's this motherfucking K-Mart:

right in the middle :rant:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nodoze posted:

Need a making GBS threads update on SAC, it has been hours since the last one

he dead

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Nodoze posted:

it has been hours since the last one

He is wishing he could say the same.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

scuz posted:

Tee-minus one week until welding lessons! Me irl: :woop: I better get that garage of ours un-hosed on the double. So much water coming in from the outside that it's starting to smell like a musty old basement and I'm not sure what to do about it since it's cold and rainy outside. Filling the gap with sand and then covering it with _______ is the first option, just not sure how effective that's gonna be :ohdear:

Is water coming in through the walls? what sort of garage is it. My concrete sectional garage leaked until I put mortar in some of the gaps and then painted it with a PVA solution to seal it all.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
son of a bitch
http://io9.com/the-black-and-white-cut-of-mad-max-fury-road-could-hit-1747935073

quote:

Director George Miller was insistent that the film would best be viewed in black and white. After that version was sadly absent from the home release, we might be getting something even better: a chance to see the B&W version in theaters.
:stonk: pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Tomarse posted:

Is water coming in through the walls? what sort of garage is it. My concrete sectional garage leaked until I put mortar in some of the gaps and then painted it with a PVA solution to seal it all.
Yeah, I'll snap some shots when I get home tonight of what I'm working with/against. The garage has ~2' of cinder blocks around the base with the walls built on that. There's a crack/hole/something on the outside near the sidewalk next to the garage that lets all that water in.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

scuz posted:

That's from the abominable store on Lake street! K-Mart showed up and said "hey can we put a fuckin K-Mart in the middle of the street and block the street?" and Minneapolis said "fuckit, have at 'er." Nicollet goes on forever north and south, but then there's this motherfucking K-Mart:

right in the middle :rant:

Eh, it's far enough away from Uptown.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I keep meaning to monkey with the lens settings to see if I can tune it out, but it's not like I have a huge compulsion to invite more brain problems.

Oh. drat. Think I'll stay away from them then.

I have an Acer 1080p that I got a few years ago and what I a 1280x1024 NEC that I think is ex POS that I picked up from a Men's Shed (Charity / place for men to go and do stuff in Australia). Better than nothing. What I'd really like is a rotatable monitor. For play I like landscape but for work I'd really prefer portrait.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Oh what the hell. Of course a "free" car pops up and I have no place to store it.

There's no such thing as a free car, only free pain. :homebrew:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There's no such thing as a free car, only free pain. :homebrew:

My mother works with the developmentally disabled (retarded) and one of them used to be allowed to drive. Recently he's developed behavioral problems so the state has revoked his license. The car (a first year Mazda 6) has been sitting undriven for over a year in the group home garage. He's been relocated to central Indiana and the car is just taking up space they could use for storage. As my mom noted that I've owned 4 Mazdas so far she looked into how much the car would be if sold and the agency doesn't want to deal with it and is willing to sign the title over to us and declare the value of the car equal to scrap value as they were offered $120 for it for scrap.

It has a dead battery, 4 flat tires, wheel arch rust and who knows what else. They tried jumping it with no luck. Mom took my battery charger over and it did nothing. So we have like 48 hours to decide if it's worth having it flat-bedded somewhere.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

My mother works with the developmentally disabled (retarded) and one of them used to be allowed to drive. Recently he's developed behavioral problems so the state has revoked his license. The car (a first year Mazda 6) has been sitting undriven for over a year in the group home garage. He's been relocated to central Indiana and the car is just taking up space they could use for storage. As my mom noted that I've owned 4 Mazdas so far she looked into how much the car would be if sold and the agency doesn't want to deal with it and is willing to sign the title over to us and declare the value of the car equal to scrap value as they were offered $120 for it for scrap.

It has a dead battery, 4 flat tires, wheel arch rust and who knows what else. They tried jumping it with no luck. Mom took my battery charger over and it did nothing. So we have like 48 hours to decide if it's worth having it flat-bedded somewhere.

What are the chances it can be parted? If theres 500 bucks worth of parts, its worth it, but if not, I would pass. But that's me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What are the chances it can be parted? If theres 500 bucks worth of parts, its worth it, but if not, I would pass. But that's me.

I doubt it's worth the effort to part a 2003 Mazda 6 honestly. I was thinking winter beater and I could toss my blizzaks on it with no trouble but if there's more than a dead battery I don't want to mess with it right now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I doubt it's worth the effort to part a 2003 Mazda 6 honestly. I was thinking winter beater and I could toss my blizzaks on it with no trouble but if there's more than a dead battery I don't want to mess with it right now.

Eh, I would pass. Sounds like its going to be a giant headache even if you get it running. if its not starting it could be any number of issues - crank sensor/cam sensor, fuel pump, or just a really dead loving battery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Eh, I would pass. Sounds like its going to be a giant headache even if you get it running. if its not starting it could be any number of issues - crank sensor/cam sensor, fuel pump, or just a really dead loving battery.

I'd also not be allowed to mess with it on site, it has to be removed from the garage since it's not my mom's normal work assignment. I guess they had it for sale for the last 6 months for $2000, then $1000, then $500 with no bites at all. If I had the room I'd just do it and mess with it later but even my mom's house is overloaded with cars right now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love Mazdas but it's not a car worth saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

I love Mazdas but it's not a car worth saving.

If it had no other issues, just a totally dead battery and flat tires it would be worth it as a winter car. Mom said the tires are completely flat and they couldn't get the jack under it. It's just sitting in the garage under boxes. I was looking at how much it would cost to get it trailered here and it would be roughly the same as the scrap value so it's be a wash if it's dead.

I did tell mom just now to have them take the scrap value as I don't need this nonsense in my life.

• Locked thread