Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My mother is making Cincinnati chili for dinner tonight. We live in Southern Ontario, and have never had it before. She's even putting in the cinnamon and cocoa. This is going to be interesting. I will post pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arivia posted:

My mother is making Cincinnati chili for dinner tonight. We live in Southern Ontario, and have never had it before. She's even putting in the cinnamon and cocoa. This is going to be interesting. I will post pictures.

:rip:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Aristophanes posted:

Long thin thing looks like cassava to me. And what's next to it could be taro. Do you know what country this picture is from?

Not the slightest.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Arivia posted:

I'm so sorry for you

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

"shepherd's pie" being instant potatoes (because my sister wouldn't eat real real potatoes), shredded cheddar product, frozen mixed veggies cooked with greyed ground beef, and some canned gravy.

WTF is wrong with your sister

Otherwise, you just described a Midwest staple right there. Sometimes Mom would use Kraft singles instead of shredded cheese :toot:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

WTF is wrong with your sister

Otherwise, you just described a Midwest staple right there. Sometimes Mom would use Kraft singles instead of shredded cheese :toot:

Oh definitely, sometimes those cheese food products are all you have. Or the ubiquitous shakey cheese. :(

Also, me and sis are polar opposites; she eats mostly meat, lots of pasta, and eschews all greens. Frightening, really, I'm sure with my family's stomach issues she feels like poo poo on the reg.

I eat so many veggies. I eat meat, but usually limit my portions so I don't take a brick-poo poo. Lots of rice. I love rice! She says they look like maggots. I don't know how we came from the same parents. :tinfoil:

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

RainbowCake posted:

Here is something I made with a friend several years ago:

"Chocolate-covered bacon." We ran out of bacon halfway through, but turkey bacon is just as good right

This gives me goosebumps it's soo gross.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Arivia posted:

My uncle is from Cincinnati and we would have Cincinnati chili from time to time at family gatherings when I was a kid and I thought it was delicious. I'm sure that glop out of a can stuff is horrendous, but I have found homemade to be quite good!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

She says they look like maggots.

My grandfather categorically refused to eat rice. I thought it was weird, until he explained his aversion one day. Way back in the early 50's, when he was a sophomore in high school, his ag teacher took the class out to help a guy move a dead cow. Said cow had been baking in the sun for a couple of days, and was bloated and full of blowfly maggots. And, as they were hauling it on the trailer, it popped, and a tsunami of blowfly maggots covered everything.

His ag class was the class right before lunch. The class cleaned up, and marched into the cafeteria, only to discover that the starch of the day? Was rice. And from that day onwards, if you served him rice, all he could see was a nice plateful of blowfly maggots.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

rndmnmbr posted:

My grandfather categorically refused to eat rice. I thought it was weird, until he explained his aversion one day. Way back in the early 50's, when he was a sophomore in high school, his ag teacher took the class out to help a guy move a dead cow. Said cow had been baking in the sun for a couple of days, and was bloated and full of blowfly maggots. And, as they were hauling it on the trailer, it popped, and a tsunami of blowfly maggots covered everything.

His ag class was the class right before lunch. The class cleaned up, and marched into the cafeteria, only to discover that the starch of the day? Was rice. And from that day onwards, if you served him rice, all he could see was a nice plateful of blowfly maggots.

:gonk: Oh, loving Lord.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah... That'd do it for me too

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like that the corndogs are already heated up. They're not even going to try and melt the cheese, no, they're just going to eat it like that.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

I know what the last one is but I won't tell you just yet.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I am still amazed that out of all the posts tagged What is waiting for my boyfriend, none of them involved gratuitous nudity....

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Solid would.

Captain Jesus posted:

Well it looks like there's a burger bun, but I have no idea what kind of unholy orgy is happenning on it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Is that quiche with sausage?

WOULD!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Jesus posted:

The word "abomination" given corporeal form?

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Toad in the Hole with veggies? Yes, please!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Agreed on Pizagequiche.

Anyhow, here's the Korma soup I mentioned like 6 pages back. I can't describe how gross this looked and tasted. It was still cold, so the picture doesn't how off how watery this was (I was wrong at first, she just poured tons of water instead of stock into it):

I came by for another visit a few days later, and noticed nobody ate it. I offered to touch it up and re-serve it, but mom did not have it. She said she wanted the "stew" for the whole week. After 27 years of knowing the woman, nobody would eat it including here, and she'd throw it away, blaming everyone else for wasting it. So, I put it on the stove anyway, and started reducing it and touching it up with craploads of garam masala, salt, pepper, and chilies, until it got some actual flavor. Then my mom, trying to get some kind of control, started yelling to put a bunch of andouille sausage that she bought into it. I didn't complain, and this is how it ended up:

Tasted alright, despite the watery-slop rice that my mother insisted I keep putting water into. I think she genuinely can not agree with a human being on even simple points purely out of pride. I don't think she's ever made a recipe to the word, insisting on her own version without even knowing what the food is. I wish I had my old phone that had photos of mom's cuisine. My ex genuinely made gargling dry heaves when I showed her the picture I took of mom's curry soup.

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Dec 14, 2015

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Zanael posted:

Well it looks like there's a burger bun, but I have no idea what kind of unholy orgy is happenning on it.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The word "abomination" given corporeal form?

It's allegedly a home delivery bacon burger. I can identify some undercooked bacon, a pickle and salad. The rest is a mystery. The red liquid is probably ketchup?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I kind of want to get a hangover just to eat this.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Plan Z posted:

Agreed on Pizagequiche.

Anyhow, here's the Korma soup I mentioned like 6 pages back. I can't describe how gross this looked and tasted. It was still cold, so the picture doesn't how off how watery this was (I was wrong at first, she just poured tons of water instead of stock into it):

I came by for another visit a few days later, and noticed nobody ate it. I offered to touch it up and re-serve it, but mom did not have it. She said she wanted the "stew" for the whole week. After 27 years of knowing the woman, nobody would eat it including here, and she'd throw it away, blaming everyone else for wasting it. So, I put it on the stove anyway, and started reducing it and touching it up with craploads of garam masala, salt, pepper, and chilies, until it got some actual flavor. Then my mom, trying to get some kind of control, started yelling to put a bunch of andouille sausage that she bought into it. I didn't complain, and this is how it ended up:

What the hell is in that? I see chickpeas, squash (?), spinach and a lot of water

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Mymla posted:

Why is it grey? Why is the bottom covered in tar?

Definitely squid ink, which has been delicious the times I've eaten it.

Actually I've got a pack of Japanese squid ink pasta sauce, I should photograph it for the thread when I make it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fishstick posted:

What the hell is in that? I see chickpeas, squash (?), spinach and a lot of water

Chickpeas, butternut squash, kale, jarred Korma sauce, and a lot of water.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ErIog posted:

Not saying your grandma is necessarily a racist, but with old folks there's sometimes an aversion to pizza due to racism against Italians. My grandfather always considered pizza and most other ethnic foods to be "snacks," and would never countenance eating them as proper meals. He never at snacks either, really, though, so "that's a snack! not a meal!" was just his way of saying "get hosed!"

And then there are middle-aged people who've never had pizza or any other 'exotic' food before and whom are afraid of trying new things. That's my parents. They were both born in the early 50's in East Germany. By the time 1989 rolled around, they had had homemade pizza of sorts maybe three times and it tasted nothing like traditional pizza. It just wasn't an available food in that country. Same with Asian food, French food, American (lol) food.....essentially nothing but basic ingredients and German food mixes/kits were available, so that's all they knew for the first 40 years of their lives.
I have since moved to the US. Whenever they visit, my wife and I try to get them to go to Thai places, good Italian restaurants, Indian, etc.

Mostly their response is a whole lotta NOPE. The only Chinese food they eat is sweet & sour chicken. Any time they are in a Chinese restaurant, that's what they get.
They don't even care for Greek food all that much, which is crazy for Germans.

I should try to drag them to a Sushi joint next time just for the reaction.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
http://imgur.com/dB5Hhhd

So that's what my mom made. It's horrible. It's not her fault, she's a good cook, but Cincinnati chili is a blight on this earth. I want to burn down Skyline and salt the ground with chili peppers. I hate it.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Arivia posted:

So that's what my mom made. It's horrible. It's not her fault, she's a good cook, but Cincinnati chili is a blight on this earth. I want to burn down Skyline and salt the ground with chili peppers. I hate it.

Cincinnati chili is pretty good when done right. Try adding kidney beans and topping with chopped onion as well as cheese.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I maintain that homemade Cincinnati chili is delicious. :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

Cincinnati chili is pretty good when done right. Try adding kidney beans and topping with chopped onion as well as cheese.

There's chopped onion in there. Nothing could save this. A big fat lobe of pate in the middle could not save this. A Big Mac on top could not save this. I feel bad for the cow that died to bring this into existence. I am retroactively apologizing for everything I have ever done, I am so remorseful for eating this. Please kill me.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

OctoberBlues posted:

I maintain that homemade Cincinnati chili is delicious. :colbert:

So is store-made :colbert::colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Arivia posted:

There's chopped onion in there. Nothing could save this. A big fat lobe of pate in the middle could not save this. A Big Mac on top could not save this. I feel bad for the cow that died to bring this into existence. I am retroactively apologizing for everything I have ever done, I am so remorseful for eating this. Please kill me.

Oh no not chopped onion!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TotalLossBrain posted:

And then there are middle-aged people who've never had pizza or any other 'exotic' food before and whom are afraid of trying new things. That's my parents. They were both born in the early 50's in East Germany. By the time 1989 rolled around, they had had homemade pizza of sorts maybe three times and it tasted nothing like traditional pizza. It just wasn't an available food in that country. Same with Asian food, French food, American (lol) food.....essentially nothing but basic ingredients and German food mixes/kits were available, so that's all they knew for the first 40 years of their lives.
I have since moved to the US. Whenever they visit, my wife and I try to get them to go to Thai places, good Italian restaurants, Indian, etc.

Mostly their response is a whole lotta NOPE. The only Chinese food they eat is sweet & sour chicken. Any time they are in a Chinese restaurant, that's what they get.
They don't even care for Greek food all that much, which is crazy for Germans.

I should try to drag them to a Sushi joint next time just for the reaction.

There's quality American cuisine, yo, especially the more regional you get.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arivia posted:

My first reaction, as someone with bad taste who doesn't like chili was 'Oh that doesn't look too bad.' But then I remembered that it's supposed to be chili and not spaghetti. Good lord that's awful.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arivia posted:

Where are you from? Cincinnati chili tends to taste better the more Midwestern you are. Ground zero is Cedar Rapids, Iowa - the closer your origin to there, the more you have a taste for bland one-dish meals. I hear if you're actually born there you get cream-based casserole in your bottle instead of milk.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arivia posted:

What on earth is wrong with you, your mom's chili looks/sounds full of flavor.

RareAcumen posted:

My first reaction, as someone with bad taste who doesn't like chili was 'Oh that doesn't look too bad.' But then I remembered that it's supposed to be chili and not spaghetti. Good lord that's awful.

Yeah, except I've had chili over Fritos and over rice, as well as over spaghetti, and it's always clear that the meat sauce is the star of the show.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

[to 26 y.o. child living at home] Stop taking pictures of your food.

[holding out iphone, deciding whether to add "kill me now" or "gently caress this gay earth" to post] But mommmmmmm.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
All Chili belongs either on rice, angle hair spaghetti or a hot dog, topped with red onions, sharp cheddar and sour cream :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

Where are you from? Cincinnati chili tends to taste better the more Midwestern you are. Ground zero is Cedar Rapids, Iowa - the closer your origin to there, the more you have a taste for bland one-dish meals. I hear if you're actually born there you get cream-based casserole in your bottle instead of milk.

Southern Ontario. I like a lot of white comfort food, this is just bad. And I also really like onions, I was just saying they couldn't save this.

@Pastry of the Year: You're right, my mom's chili is great with tons of flavour. This Cincinnati stuff she made tonight was a horrible experiment that just didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Oh, God, speaking of moms and cooking, I am going to go see my parents for a week on Friday (:buddy:) and she makes these pierogis that are SO GOOD but look SO WEIRD and they're always really gigantic, like the size of large oranges. Also, she will be sending me home with cabbage rolls, which are the ultimate AFP.

• Locked thread