Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Eh, someone combined Mad Cats and actual cats.

http://mechacatathon.causevox.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
What is the general consensus of Heavy Gear Assault?

I looked into MechWarrior: Living Legends which seems like a better MWO but with shitter graphics and the player base is pretty much gone by this point, sadly. As I was browsing their forums I saw a blurb about HGA and thought I'd look into it.

Apparently they did a kickstarter but it failed pretty hard. Since the KS the Devs have continued working on the game in their own time and apparently they are about to launch an "eSports" version of the game in 2016. loving lol. Why are people SO obsessed over being eSports... If your game is good and competitive, it'll evolve naturally, don't force the poo poo if it sucks...

Anyways. I don't know if any of you have played this or heard anything about it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

[*]PPCs are very overrated and not at all worth it compared to the LPL, considering that PPCs are 1-ton heavier, have a much higher heat-per-second, and are harder to aim than LPLs. it's not worth the average damage output per shot (adjusted for accuracy). :rip: MW3

This is true except for IS where they're the same weight. And heavily quirked ppcs own a lot. Otherwise yeah, all lpl all the time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
from the same dude who bought the "Clan" Catapult for 3000 MC:

"Another question

So I bought the Warhwk Clan mech for $55. ($80 CAD). Someone in game just told me it could be bought with C Bills though?"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pattonesque posted:

from the same dude who bought the "Clan" Catapult for 3000 MC:

"Another question

So I bought the Warhwk Clan mech for $55. ($80 CAD). Someone in game just told me it could be bought with C Bills though?"

I guess the in game interface is more confusing than finding the clan page and clicking buy.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Great Beer posted:

all lpl all the time.

those of you who know how bad i am at this game, witness me! LPL is the best weapon in the game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nickiepoo posted:

This video makes me want a new mechcommander game so bad.

This is kinda happening so :woop: I guess

Also reinstalling looking to shoot some mechs in this good but bad game.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

missiles being poo poo sounds like music to my ears after dealing with LRM death swarms for years

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Doubt it, no one else seems fussed. Honestly I can't really imagine trying to play this properly like we did back in the day. I'm glad it seems to be improving but there's no way I'm dumping as many hours into this as I used to.

I'm fussed! Well not really but I like playing the game and if there was any real movement I'd be more than happy to play with eurobuddies.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ok I have to say, the UI has definitely moved forward since the last time I played. Still messy and clunky, but given the game's history it's nice to see that work is being done on it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

missiles being poo poo sounds like music to my ears after dealing with LRM death swarms for years

LRMs are dog and have been dog for a long time. SRMs, thanks to the most recent patch, are god.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zebulon posted:

A properly built and used Atlas could probably take down or cripple an entire lance by itself honestly. SRMs are in a drat good place and sheer chuftiness, along with their structure quirks and people normally fixating on taking down the right side torso because of the gun, means you're probably going to get plenty of time to make use of them.

I use my Atlas as a lance breaker, I just march it into wherever people are giving hard looks and I smash things. Usually I can kill any two mechs I see then maul a few more before going down.

EDIT: I remember last night I was stomping the hell out of two heavies and a dumbass in a blackjack kept plinking at me with AC/2's. I turned and gave him all of my SRM tubes and followed up with an AC/20 to his CT, he blew up real nice in no more timespan than it took to mouse over him.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

A.o.D. posted:

LRMs are dog and have been dog for a long time. SRMs, thanks to the most recent patch, are god.

I haven't played for a long time :negative:

kashbrok
Jul 11, 2013
So the rumors of this game being decent again seem to be true.

At random I took my old Atlas DDC set up with a Standard 360 engine, ECM, AC/20, 3x ASRM 6, and 2x ML for pin point limb shooting. Never having played the map before I just ran off in a random direction, dragging my lance with me on a flanking action. We ran full speed into their base, crushed a LRMing Highlander, mashed a sniping King Crab, engaged things as they scrambled back to base, and going out in a blaze of glory while a spider capped their base.

Ended with them having 5 still alive to our 2, but they couldn't get passed the Assault wall that flanked them in time to win the round. Great fun, but this is going to take forever to work up the c-bills pick up my first clan mech.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

kashbrok posted:

Great fun, but this is going to take forever to work up the c-bills pick up my first clan mech.

Actually, I got my first Clan mech the other night and I've only been playing a few hours a night with goons, no premium time. You can earn over 100k a game pretty easily and Clan mechs are like 15m at most.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Alchenar posted:

This is kinda happening so :woop: I guess

I funded the upcoming turnbased game but I'd still love a realtime tactics game. Never going to happen though so boooo.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I played around some more this weekend, read the OP, and bought myself a Stormcrow. I then earned enough to buy an Arctic Fox, which I am enjoying much more than the Stormcrow. Am I pretty much hosed if I don't plan to spend a dime on the game? I've already given enough cash to Marvel Heroes to last a lifetime of F2P games, so I am trying to avoid it. So many things seem to be behind paywalls. I don't mind having to save up to buy a new mech but do they ever mix up the ones that are real money only? I don't care about having a fancy paintjob or doodads hanging in my cockpit, but it would be nice to be able to purchase a decent mech or not have maxed out my available skills in 2 seconds.

I figured out the trial mech stuff pretty quick and enjoyed playing with a Jenner while they let me, but I'm not sure I get what Champion mechs are. They all seem be behind the paywall, at least any I have looked at are. Are they naturally better than regular mechs or just popular variants I could put together myself with enough c-bills and tinkering? Or something else? I also have no clue how to buy new parts. I had some extra c-bills so I was looking to mess around with my Arctic Fox a bit, but while I could figure out how to remove stuff I have no idea how to buy new parts.

After what I'd read I had been afraid the other players would be pretty toxic but it hasn't been too bad. I am still learning the maps, having no idea when someone yells out to meet at the citadel or whatever, but I feel like I am mostly doing ok.

I named my pilot Gravynaut (Hilarious misreading of my bad handwriting became a user name).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

crowbb posted:

I played around some more this weekend, read the OP, and bought myself a Stormcrow. I then earned enough to buy an Arctic Fox, which I am enjoying much more than the Stormcrow. Am I pretty much hosed if I don't plan to spend a dime on the game? I've already given enough cash to Marvel Heroes to last a lifetime of F2P games, so I am trying to avoid it. So many things seem to be behind paywalls. I don't mind having to save up to buy a new mech but do they ever mix up the ones that are real money only? I don't care about having a fancy paintjob or doodads hanging in my cockpit, but it would be nice to be able to purchase a decent mech or not have maxed out my available skills in 2 seconds.

I figured out the trial mech stuff pretty quick and enjoyed playing with a Jenner while they let me, but I'm not sure I get what Champion mechs are. They all seem be behind the paywall, at least any I have looked at are. Are they naturally better than regular mechs or just popular variants I could put together myself with enough c-bills and tinkering? Or something else? I also have no clue how to buy new parts. I had some extra c-bills so I was looking to mess around with my Arctic Fox a bit, but while I could figure out how to remove stuff I have no idea how to buy new parts.

After what I'd read I had been afraid the other players would be pretty toxic but it hasn't been too bad. I am still learning the maps, having no idea when someone yells out to meet at the citadel or whatever, but I feel like I am mostly doing ok.

I named my pilot Gravynaut (Hilarious misreading of my bad handwriting became a user name).

Hero 'mechs and champion 'mechs are always behind paywalls, but neither are P2W. Hero 'mechs are very rarely top tier and usually just offer an interesting gimmick/paint job. Champion 'mechs give you extra XP and are otherwise identical to normal robots.

You can pay real money to get new robots as soon as they're released. usually they come out for C-bills like six months later. They tend to be a bit OP at the start and then nerfed a bit once they come out for fake money. The Arctic Cheetah, for instance, used to have an insane +15 leg structure bonus, which meant legging one was drat near impossible. They don't have that anymore now that they're out for c-bills, but they are still the best light in the game.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The only time to ever spend money on this game is if you want a hero mech that has a different set of hardpoints (IS) or you want the 30% cbill bonus.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Ah interesting, sounds like I can handle that. Yeah Arctic Cheetah, that's what I bought. No idea why I typed fox.

What about skills? Is it true once I buy all the lower tier skills I have to buy 2 more variants of the same mech and skill those up to get the higher skills? That sounds pretty obnoxious, since I'd rather bounce around trying different chassis when I save up the cash.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

crowbb posted:

Ah interesting, sounds like I can handle that. Yeah Arctic Cheetah, that's what I bought. No idea why I typed fox.

What about skills? Is it true once I buy all the lower tier skills I have to buy 2 more variants of the same mech and skill those up to get the higher skills? That sounds pretty obnoxious, since I'd rather bounce around trying different chassis when I save up the cash.

yeah. it is most definitely obnoxious, but unfortunately it makes quite a bit of difference -- once you elite a mech, all the basic bonuses get multiplied.

speed tweak alone makes most robots a whole lot better

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
'Mech Decals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHzn97GqsA

New CW 4v4 mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdC90yXKRFs

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Nickiepoo posted:

I funded the upcoming turnbased game but I'd still love a realtime tactics game. Never going to happen though so boooo.

I dream of being good enough at UnrealEngine to make an MC3 knockoff that doesn't suck. It's like a Bucket List thing for me at this point...

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kashbrok posted:

So the rumors of this game being decent again seem to be true.

At random I took my old Atlas DDC set up with a Standard 360 engine, ECM, AC/20, 3x ASRM 6, and 2x ML for pin point limb shooting. Never having played the map before I just ran off in a random direction, dragging my lance with me on a flanking action. We ran full speed into their base, crushed a LRMing Highlander, mashed a sniping King Crab, engaged things as they scrambled back to base, and going out in a blaze of glory while a spider capped their base.

Ended with them having 5 still alive to our 2, but they couldn't get passed the Assault wall that flanked them in time to win the round. Great fun, but this is going to take forever to work up the c-bills pick up my first clan mech.

Run through the tutorial, it pays out a bunch of cash for not much time invested.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Not bad for my 10th or so pubby match, eh? :madmax: (700 damage with a Jenner-F)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
as you move up the tiers, your teammates will do more damage and your own numbers will normalize. Plus you'll run into the occasional streakcrow and have a bad match, but that happens to lights some times. Stll, lights are the easiest mechs in the game to do well with, and if you're new to the game and need to gind out cbills, one of the higher performing chassis are where you'll want to start. You'll have the most fun in them starting out.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

lights are the easiest mechs in the game to do well with

I feel like this is completely the opposite. When I first started I could do well in anything but playing a light I actually had to practice and learn how to not die instantly, and I'm still learning.

That is to say lights are definitely more forgiving if mistakes are made, they can just dip out; other weight classes not so much.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Anita Dickinme posted:

I feel like this is completely the opposite. When I first started I could do well in anything but playing a light I actually had to practice and learn how to not die instantly, and I'm still learning.

That is to say lights are definitely more forgiving if mistakes are made, they can just dip out; other weight classes not so much.

this was probably true when everyone was running around in jenners which can still easily be one shotted but arctic cheetahs and quirked out firestarters are entirely different beasts.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I am mildly disappointed that whoever did the preview didn't spin the PGI logo in a 360 degree circle a couple of times.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

I dream of being good enough at UnrealEngine to make an MC3 knockoff that doesn't suck. It's like a Bucket List thing for me at this point...

Someone's got to!

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Phase 3? What were phases 1 and 2?
Career mode makes sense for Loyalist and Mercenary. Why wouldn't Freelancer fall under Mercenary? I fail to see how it wouldn't be the same poo poo?
So what does Career mode actually do? You could argue grinding endlessly for progressing under a faction right now could be called Career mode...

Seeing some nice changes to the game got my hopes up, then this minimal progress on core gameplay/mechanics bums me out :c

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TVDinna posted:

Phase 3? What were phases 1 and 2?
Career mode makes sense for Loyalist and Mercenary. Why wouldn't Freelancer fall under Mercenary? I fail to see how it wouldn't be the same poo poo?
So what does Career mode actually do? You could argue grinding endlessly for progressing under a faction right now could be called Career mode...

Seeing some nice changes to the game got my hopes up, then this minimal progress on core gameplay/mechanics bums me out :c

well I mean technically you don't know the full extent of it, so it could be major progress? probably not but don't get bummed out early

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

as you move up the tiers, your teammates will do more damage and your own numbers will normalize. Plus you'll run into the occasional streakcrow and have a bad match, but that happens to lights some times. Stll, lights are the easiest mechs in the game to do well with, and if you're new to the game and need to gind out cbills, one of the higher performing chassis are where you'll want to start. You'll have the most fun in them starting out.

I don't know what to take away from that statement.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

by.a.teammate posted:

are the Cocks coming out of retirement?

No

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

We're playing cool fun games not made by shittard fuckhead devs

Except for fil but we don't like to be associated with him.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TVDinna posted:

Why wouldn't Freelancer fall under Mercenary? I fail to see how it wouldn't be the same poo poo?

in FASA BT, Mercenaries work for a Mercenary company, but Freelancers are individual people looking for short term work.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Onkel Hedwig posted:

He means you will mop up idiots in lower tiers if you are a good player. Once you get into higher tiers, your teammates should theoretically be better and do more damage, so you will be less of a superstar by comparison.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Onkel Hedwig posted:

tl;dr: if you're new, run lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Prawned posted:

We're playing cool fun games not made by shittard fuckhead devs

Except for fil but we don't like to be associated with him.

At what point did you transform into a salt golem?

• Locked thread