Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

Yeah. I dunno how I feel about Y-Wings getting an EPT any longer though. Adding any 1 point EPT to them could break things with the TLT now. Crack shot especially comes to mind.

If you didn't have to discard Crack Shot I might agree with you. But honestly the problem with Rebel Y-wings isn't generics not having EPTs, it's how Dutch and Horton (who is a loving 8 skill pilot) don't have EPTs when they arguably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

Rebel Y-wings need EPTs. Crew slot would be fun but is honestly optional.

E-wing needs fixes badly for generics. A Title that can only be used by PS 4 and below might work.

Y'know what, I'll be honest, EPTs are good but having played with Dutch a lot and having had Horton played against me a fair bit, they really aren't the be-all and end-all of why you'd want to run a ship, and I think that both named Rebel Y-Wing pilots have come into their own by this point. Even with Kavil, a Y-Wing pilot who actually has an EPT slot, I find myself struggling to think of EPTs that have really made him pop as opposed to other upgrades. Yeah, I guess you could slap PtL on a TLT Y-Wing to improve your chances of landing both shots consistently, but I have a feeling I'd rather spend those 3 points elsewhere.

As for E-Wings, they've sort of worked themselves into a corner on that one. Like you said, any fix would have to be for the generics only because anything that makes Corran Horn better is strictly not necessary.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

i wonder what kind of titles they are going to give the defender. Twin Ion mk II does help, but the main issue is price. A chased an refit? We'll have to see.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

If you didn't have to discard Crack Shot I might agree with you. But honestly the problem with Rebel Y-wings isn't generics not having EPTs, it's how Dutch and Horton (who is a loving 8 skill pilot) don't have EPTs when they arguably should.

I'd agree with that for sure. Maybe a card similar to Test Pilot where they have to be a certain PS. I actually think having that as a title (so, choice between the BTL warthog or having an EPT on the elite pilots) would be a pretty solid way to go. Dunno though. They seem pretty committed to not allowing elite bombers to have any EPT slots (TIE Bomber and Punisher, Y- and K-Wings). On the other hand, Scum faction. Who knows?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I want an EPT on Horton for Opportunist, VI, Predator, and Crack Shot (which is more EPTs than I want to put on most X-wings). I want an EPT on Dutch for VI (and not a whole lot else, admittedly). It's having to pay 2 points for a 1 point EPT, and further having that restricted to exactly one unit in your squad, that's really annoying.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Gate posted:

I'd agree with that for sure. Maybe a card similar to Test Pilot where they have to be a certain PS. I actually think having that as a title (so, choice between the BTL warthog or having an EPT on the elite pilots) would be a pretty solid way to go. Dunno though. They seem pretty committed to not allowing elite bombers to have any EPT slots (TIE Bomber and Punisher, Y- and K-Wings). On the other hand, Scum faction. Who knows?
Major Rhymer has an EPT

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

I want an EPT on Horton for Opportunist, VI, Predator, and Crack Shot (which is more EPTs than I want to put on most X-wings). I want an EPT on Dutch for VI (and not a whole lot else, admittedly). It's having to pay 2 points for a 1 point EPT, and further having that restricted to exactly one unit in your squad, that's really annoying.

Predator on Horton seems pretty pointless TBH. VI plus engine on him seems pretty solid though, especially with TLT.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Predator lets you re-roll focuses. Horton doesn't.

EDIT: That reminds me, I'm sticking Wired on Horton so loving fast.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Tekopo posted:

Major Rhymer has an EPT

Yeah, but that's 1 out of 4 for Empire, 0 out of 4 for Rebels. Scum have it on 2 out of 4 Y-Wings for some reason though. Also, Rhymer is hilariously overcosted and running him is probably worse than just leaving those points unspent so your opponent doesn't get to kill 30% of your list for free.

Edit: Sure, but you could just take the focus action on Horton 90% of the time and not need to reroll instead?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Kai Tave posted:

Y'know what, I'll be honest, EPTs are good but having played with Dutch a lot and having had Horton played against me a fair bit, they really aren't the be-all and end-all of why you'd want to run a ship, and I think that both named Rebel Y-Wing pilots have come into their own by this point. Even with Kavil, a Y-Wing pilot who actually has an EPT slot, I find myself struggling to think of EPTs that have really made him pop as opposed to other upgrades. Yeah, I guess you could slap PtL on a TLT Y-Wing to improve your chances of landing both shots consistently, but I have a feeling I'd rather spend those 3 points elsewhere.

As for E-Wings, they've sort of worked themselves into a corner on that one. Like you said, any fix would have to be for the generics only because anything that makes Corran Horn better is strictly not necessary.

Predator and TLTs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
For one Y-wing that is now greater than 1/3rd of your total list. Generics (that aren't A-wings or TIEs) don't get EPTs.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Maybe there could be an R7 series astro that's E-Wing only and does something for them? It would prevent it from really buffing Corran, because he 100% needs to have R2-D2 to be the powerhouse build. Fluff wise, the R7's were made specifically for the E-Wing and were physically incompatible with other ships (and vice versa, no R2's for the E-Wing). Also, depending on what it did, you might see people use Corran for something other than his 1 True Build of regen and flee rear end in a top hat.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Serissu: Veteran Instincts, Munitions Failsafe and X-23 Thread Tracers

5x Binayre Pirates with Advanced Homing Missiles

This looks dumb as hell but has a decent chance of killing something outright! Then you're just stuck with a mediocre swarm.

Unless they manage the incredibly difficult task of engaging at range 3 or range 1!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

alg posted:

Predator and TLTs.

Which is still a lot of points for me to want to sink into a single TLT hog. I mean I've put a lot of points into Dutch but it's mostly to increase his flexibility by giving him bombs in addition to a turret. Trading that out to be slightly better at TLTing doesn't really scream "oh yeah, I've gotta do this," maybe it's just me.

Also I know that if they ever do wind up printing a Rebel Y-Wing pilot with an EPT that everyone's gonna get super salty over Dutch and Horton not having one.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Kai Tave posted:

Which is still a lot of points for me to want to sink into a single TLT hog. I mean I've put a lot of points into Dutch but it's mostly to increase his flexibility by giving him bombs in addition to a turret. Trading that out to be slightly better at TLTing doesn't really scream "oh yeah, I've gotta do this," maybe it's just me.

Also I know that if they ever do wind up printing a Rebel Y-Wing pilot with an EPT that everyone's gonna get super salty over Dutch and Horton not having one.

That ship sailed the moment they revealed some PS7 scum scrub with an EPT.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

pbpancho posted:

Unless they manage the incredibly difficult task of engaging at range 3 or range 1!

Look just let me have my stupid gimmicky lists

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Look just let me have my stupid gimmicky lists

Same, brother.

Dude I played yesterday is absolutely in love with Scyks. He says he flies a swarm of them with missiles. I didn't get a chance to fly against that list but I kinda want to now just to see what the hell.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Gate posted:

Yeah, but that's 1 out of 4 for Empire, 0 out of 4 for Rebels. Scum have it on 2 out of 4 Y-Wings for some reason though. Also, Rhymer is hilariously overcosted and running him is probably worse than just leaving those points unspent so your opponent doesn't get to kill 30% of your list for free.

Edit: Sure, but you could just take the focus action on Horton 90% of the time and not need to reroll instead?
You aren't a true Bomber pilot until you have flown Rhymer with PtL, APT and extra munitions. It's expensive, it's gimmicky, it dies easily but it's so much fun.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Strobe posted:

I don't understand where this idea that every pilot with at least X pilot skill should have an EPT comes from. They're completely unrelated mechanics.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Poopy Palpy posted:

I don't understand where this idea that every pilot with at least X pilot skill should have an EPT comes from. They're completely unrelated mechanics.

Then they shouldn't be called "Elite Pilot Talents" when "pilot skill" is pretty drat obviously a measure of how good the pilot is. :colbert:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Tekopo posted:

i wonder what kind of titles they are going to give the defender. Twin Ion mk II does help, but the main issue is price. A chased an refit? We'll have to see.

A BTL-A4 equivalent, maybe? One that lets it use the ion cannon and primary at once.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Defender fixes I bandied about to my particular group (that never got used because we all play tournament stuff all the time) were two titles, one that basically gave free Advanced Sensors (that the Defender desperately needs for those hard turns), and one that made cannons three points cheaper to mount (effectively free Ion cannons, 4 point HLCs), with a modification that allowed both to be fit for 3 points.

The end result is you could fit an HLC on a generic 1 skill with Advanced Sensors for 37 points, or a generic 1 skill with an HLC for 34 points (can't fit three), or a generic 1 skill with Advanced Sensors for 30 (which fits the cost of the E-wing with the same with a worse dial and upgrade slots) which is still loving high, but isn't game-breaking high for what you get out of it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Here's the official reveal on the Imperial Veterans pack.

This is going to be interesting

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 14, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kai Tave posted:

Holy gently caress yes. Even if Defenders are a pain to fit in storage trays, please be good.

Also, you know what this means, right? Rebel Veterans :getin:

Scum aces :unsmith:

E: Bomber crew transport title looks like 'swap all torpedo missile and bomb for two crew, can't take crew costing more than 4 points'.

Super TIE Bomber pilot I THINK is '1/round after you discard an EPT card, flip it face up.'

Long range scanners 'You can acquire target locks on ships at range 3 and... I stop being able to read it at that point.

E: I think it's you can acquire TLs at range 3 and beyond, but you can't acquire them at range 1-2. Which does sound P awesome. Also, SO going on my Latts Razzi/K4/Weapons Engineer build.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 14, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"Once per round, when you discard an [EPT] upgrade, flip that card face-up."

Goddamn.

6 PS generic Defenders, 5 PS generic Bombers (with EPTs).

I'm in love.

EDIT: HOLY gently caress Long Range Scanners are going to revolutionize Ordnance so goddamn fast.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yes TIE/D: do a cannon and a primary attack, 0pt title. Unnnnnngnhfal;lsjkfaqwilenh;gasdergasdf

edit: TIE Shuttle, looks like you lose bomb, missile and torpedo to gain 2 crew spots (but can't equip crew costing >4pts so no Palpy)

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 14, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Holy poo poo at that chaardan refit for the tie defender as well

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Don't forget that the X7 is a -2 point title. Get free evades for any maneuver 3 speed or faster, drop points values down to 28, 30, 33, 35.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is that a Maarek Stele Tie Defender card I spy? His ability seems to be same as it is on the Advanced. That's cool, Tie Fighter is still my favorite Star Wars videogame of all time and Stele deserves to be played.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The X7 title looks good, the D title looks good, I have no idea which to pick.

Also, bombers with crew, how does that affect things? Bombers are pretty terrible ships but as crew carriers maybe not awful?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Strobe posted:

The Defender fixes I bandied about to my particular group (that never got used because we all play tournament stuff all the time) were two titles, one that basically gave free Advanced Sensors (that the Defender desperately needs for those hard turns), and one that made cannons three points cheaper to mount (effectively free Ion cannons, 4 point HLCs), with a modification that allowed both to be fit for 3 points.

Well you were kinda close on the TIE/D title. It doesn't reduce costs, but free double-taps with Ion or Flechette Cannons (and soon Tractor Beams, however the gently caress those work).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Holy poo poo TIE/D is insane.

Long range scanners are excellent for everyone.

Should be an awesome pack.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

thespaceinvader posted:

The X7 title looks good, the D title looks good, I have no idea which to pick.

Also, bombers with crew, how does that affect things? Bombers are pretty terrible ships but as crew carriers maybe not awful?

Bombardier, Prox Mines (or Connor Net). :getin:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^The Shuttle upgrade looks like you lose all missiles, torpedoes, and bomb upgrades though in exchange for two crew which explicitly can't be Palpatine (no crew upgrades costing more than 4 points).

I'm not gonna lie, this pack actually has me a little more excited than the Ghost does, simply because until yesterday I'd have told you a TIE Bomber/Defender vets two-pack with sweet upgrades was wishful thinking.

Also hey Imperial players, merry Christmas.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So is now the time to get into this game and relive my TIE FIGHTER days?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh wow; makes me want to fly Imperial.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm incredibly happy they put Stele in a Defender. This is a dream come true. Oh man I can't wait.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Can someone read the text for tractor beams?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Bringing along a pair of generic X7 Defenders (30 points each ) and a pumped up Vader (with 40 to spend) sounds like it'll be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tekopo posted:

I'm incredibly happy they put Stele in a Defender. This is a dream come true. Oh man I can't wait.

Ahah, I didn't notice that and I've actually been hoping for Stele and Vader in Defenders for a while because of that mission where Stele and Vader tear poo poo up together in TIE Fighter. No Vader but to be honest I wasn't expecting FFG to ever reuse pilot names across different ship types at all so I'll take it.

• Locked thread