Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He's lost a lot of his juice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That might be their reasoning but really, is there anyone who JUST wants the show to be about the Winchesters and nobody else?

The show used to have supporting characters and they helped it immensely. Now it's like they refused to do it for.. reasons.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

That might be their reasoning but really, is there anyone who JUST wants the show to be about the Winchesters and nobody else?

The show used to have supporting characters and they helped it immensely. Now it's like they refused to do it for.. reasons.

I wouldnt want to be responsible for the Winchesters unleashing another monstrosity on the world.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Logically since Death is dead and there's no bigger fish, Dean will convince the Darkness to go bail Sam out of the cage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wait, shouldn't there be huge repercussions from them killing Death? Shouldn't people be immortal? Or are the Reapers still reaping despite their boss being gone?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, shouldn't there be huge repercussions from them killing Death? Shouldn't people be immortal? Or are the Reapers still reaping despite their boss being gone?

Reapers are still reaping.

Supposedly there is major fallout from that, but not yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think there's a different issue that's being addressed. Castiel hasn't been a "supporting" character since like Season 5. He's been a co-lead, but he's also had his own storyline that's separate from the Winchesters.

I think going back to just Sam & Dean (with a supporting character of the week) would be an improvement from now (or at least the Season 9-10 sort of thing) because everything just feels kind of disjoint.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has there ever been any sort of backlash against the show's take on Judeo-Christian mythology? Seems to me like saying that actual Jehovah God is a lazy do nothing absent creator would get whatever Council on Family Whatever group mad as all hell.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I'm half hoping for it to be a Gaiman's Endless type deal where a New Death just appears when the previous incarnation dies. Killing Death and having it stick makes no sense.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

zoux posted:

Has there ever been any sort of backlash against the show's take on Judeo-Christian mythology? Seems to me like saying that actual Jehovah God is a lazy do nothing absent creator would get whatever Council on Family Whatever group mad as all hell.

If any of them did, the insane legion of Supernatural fans would probably threaten them in their homes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Super.Jesus posted:

I'm half hoping for it to be a Gaiman's Endless type deal where a New Death just appears when the previous incarnation dies. Killing Death and having it stick makes no sense.

Or they pull a destruction with him. He may be dead, but it still goes on as that's the way the world works.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Or they pull a destruction with him. He may be dead, but it still goes on as that's the way the world works.

Well he was one of the best characters so I would be sad.

Still, they had to get him out of the way storyline wise because as the strongest being that's part of the natural order, he would have opposed the darkness and because of this Lucifer wouldn't have made sense as a last resort.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

They probably already hit peak mad when heaven turned out to be a bunch of dicks and Angels started dropping like stormtroopers.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Is there any compelling in-world reason NOT to let Darkness take over? She killed a bunch of people, but so have Sam and Dean and God lets worse than that happen every day. Unless there's some unimaginably awful price to letting her be the new god, why not?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pucklynn posted:

Is there any compelling in-world reason NOT to let Darkness take over? She killed a bunch of people, but so have Sam and Dean and God lets worse than that happen every day. Unless there's some unimaginably awful price to letting her be the new god, why not?

She was pretty clear she's doing that thing Castiel did and taking on souls, not destroying them, after their talk. Hence the "If you do that, a lot of people will die" line. Everyone she's "killed" isn't obliterated, they're just powering her.

Ten bucks says they forget they ever made that plot point in 2 episodes and just go back to killing her.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Pucklynn posted:

She probably wants to eat everyone and start a new universe inside herself or somesuch.

That said, unless she's completely bullshitting and in it for the Evulz, up until now she's a very interesting and reasonable villain with obvious motivations that we can be sympathetic to.

Super.Jesus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 14, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Pucklynn posted:

She's going to start over so if you like reality as it is now, that's your reason.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Hypocrisy posted:

She's going to start over so if you like reality as it is now, that's your reason.

Reality as it is now is pretty lovely for a significant chunk of the population. Liking it doesn't seem to be a very solid argument.

Who's to say we're not already living in a reality inside a cosmic being? There's nothing so far that demonstrates that humanity as a whole would really know the difference if she took over and ate everyone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plus Death has mentioned there is life on other planets so gently caress off to that planet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Super.Jesus posted:

Well he was one of the best characters so I would be sad.

Still, they had to get him out of the way storyline wise because as the strongest being that's part of the natural order, he would have opposed the darkness and because of this Lucifer wouldn't have made sense as a last resort.

Well, no, because without icing Death the Darkness wouldn't have gotten loose. No one had to die, Dean just had to go live on an uninhabited planet as an insane immortal and the Darkness would be contained forever.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Angela Christine posted:

Well, no, because without icing Death the Darkness wouldn't have gotten loose. No one had to die, Dean just had to go live on an uninhabited planet as an insane immortal and the Darkness would be contained forever.

Super.Jesus was talking "storyline wise." If the writers wanted to release the Darkness without killing Death, they could have come up with whatever.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 15, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

zoux posted:

I noticed one thing they've not touched with a 10 foot pole, and that's Jesus.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Astroman posted:

Impressive they've kept their distance from the J-man so long considering the obvious Winchester parallels.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Astroman posted:

The only time I even remember seeing Jesus referenced or shown was after Cas became a god and he was in that church telling off the pastor. As he was leaving he looked at the stained glass window and it was of Jesus. Cas quickly changed it to an image of himself and walked away.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

After Amara/The Darkness/Whatever we're calling her killed the priest there was about a two second shot of a stained glass window of Jesus. It kind of made me wonder if they're finally going to bring him up since they're getting into the idea of God having family.

They probably won't since they've spent all this time carefully avoiding him, but they could also just be like "gently caress it, yolo" since they're already 11 seasons in.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Shroomie posted:

After Amara/The Darkness/Whatever we're calling her killed the priest there was about a two second shot of a stained glass window of Jesus. It kind of made me wonder if they're finally going to bring him up since they're getting into the idea of God having family.

They probably won't since they've spent all this time carefully avoiding him, but they could also just be like "gently caress it, yolo" since they're already 11 seasons in.

I've always wondered why they avoided him. It's not like his existence poses a problem for the story. They could just portray him as some jacked-up mega angel and I think most people would be fine with it.

Anyway with the Darkness I really hope they don't just go to their old fallback of "there's a spell in the book of the damned to lock her back up", which will mean more Rowena. I don't know when they'll learn to stop trusting her. What was her motivation for screwing him over anyway, or was it just "I don't like the Winchesters"? If Lucifer gets out and acts like he normally does toward people, he'd just snap his fingers and explode her. That is what I hope is going to happen because if I have to hear one more "fffffferrrgasss" I swear to god...

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Given Rowena's sudden burst of inspiration that led her to the spell, along with her calm demeanor after the spell failed, I'm inclined to believe Lucifer got in touch with her too and gave her the plan. As for why, it's probably some combination of trying to find another evil megapower she can latch onto the way she tried to with Crowley, and the fact that she's an idiot.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, guessing she's trying to use him as a sugar daddy for her MEGA COVEN idea.

Hell, the highlight of the episode was that creepy loving shot with the eyes. Augh...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've always wondered why they avoided him. It's not like his existence poses a problem for the story. They could just portray him as some jacked-up mega angel and I think most people would be fine with it.

Because at best, you have someone like the Antichrist kid who's so powerful that you can't really write about him outside of one or two episodes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

computer parts posted:

Because at best, you have someone like the Antichrist kid who's so powerful that you can't really write about him outside of one or two episodes.

Well we already have/had God, death, the darkness etc that are arguably more (or equally) powerful.

I just think when they were looking for God it would have made sense to at least bring up the idea of asking his son, even if they just made up some reason like "we can't find him either/he's dead/whatever". The fact that he hasn't even been mentioned off-hand is strange to me.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murphy Brownback posted:

Well we already have/had God, death, the darkness etc that are arguably more (or equally) powerful.

I just think when they were looking for God it would have made sense to at least bring up the idea of asking his son, even if they just made up some reason like "we can't find him either/he's dead/whatever". The fact that he hasn't even been mentioned off-hand is strange to me.

Somewhere in there, there's a really good Jesus Christ, Vampire Hunter joke.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, guessing she's trying to use him as a sugar daddy for her MEGA COVEN idea.

Hell, the highlight of the episode was that creepy loving shot with the eyes. Augh...

Seriously loving creepy. And I got the impression Rowena helping them was mostly because bringing back/potentially freeing Lucifer would seriously gently caress over Crowley and she's petty as hell. But mega coven sugar daddy makes sense too. Probably all of the above. Ugh waiting until January 20 :(

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Murphy Brownback posted:

Or maybe because of the Holy Trinity they're the same guy anyway? :shrug:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Turns out that while all the other christian stuff was true, jesus was actually just some slightly delusional dude

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hangedman1984 posted:

Turns out that while all the other christian stuff was true, jesus was actually just some slightly delusional dude

It turns out the correct religion in their universe is Judaism, not Christianity. Lilith isn't really a christian thing. And most christians oppose the idea that there could be lots of other gods, while Jews are fine with other gods existing.

Or maybe Islam? In Islam Jesus is just another prophet/teacher/holy man -- a good dude but not divine. Islam is the light.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

It turns out the correct religion in their universe is Judaism, not Christianity. Lilith isn't really a christian thing. And most christians oppose the idea that there could be lots of other gods, while Jews are fine with other gods existing.

Isn't the jewish concept of an afterlife really different then the christian heaven/hell though?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

None of the traditional religions believe in/endorse mysticism yet here we are with tablets full of spells that can do stuff like close Heaven, move the Mark of Cain around like cosmic duck-duck-goose and spend human souls like RPG mana. There's been an increasingly kabbalah-istic bent to everything since they introduced the idea of Enochian sigils and blood magic that can banish angels.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hangedman1984 posted:

Isn't the jewish concept of an afterlife really different then the christian heaven/hell though?

Hmm, I think you're right, they don't have a Hell. Islam does though.

Islam is the light.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Angela Christine posted:

Islam is the light.

I almost hope this is the case for the massive amounts of drama it would cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
While at the gym, I watched an early Supernatural episode that references the Colt.

My conversation at home went thusly:

Me: I totally forgot about the Colt on Supernatural!

Husband: The cult?

Me: No, the COLT.

Husband: what cult?