Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I meant to say it's already priced out. I think maybe it's time you guys had your nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is anyone concerned about Sphinx of the Last Word? 7 mana seems very achievable now, I feel like blue will get it too good for too long, and also priced out of FNM.

I hope there's a good Mardu deck that can Doom it at least.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I meant to say it's already priced out. I think maybe it's time you guys had your nap.

I am not sure you know what the hell you are saying. I could sure use a nap though, you are right about that.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Sickening posted:

I am not sure you know what the hell you are saying.

Rereading its pretty obvious that it was a minor communicative hiccup.

Don't be a dickhole.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Has there been an instant speed Pyroclasm effect costing <4 printed with the exception of Volcanic Fallout?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Rolling THUNNNNNNNNNNDERRRRRRR

sorta

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Molybdenum posted:

Rolling THUNNNNNNNNNNDERRRRRRR

sorta

...Is none of the things he asked about. The closest thing I can think of is like, cycling Slice and Dice.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

It has the potential to be worse than Karn

Karn's largely better, but Karn actually has to resolve and is more difficult to produce on demand.

jassi007 posted:

The problem with him having 6G cmc is unless tron has an available egg, he's a t4 play. You need tron + a green source. It is ok that natural tron + an egg does get you there. Probably not good enough, might be worth fiddling with.

I don't think it'd ever be more than a 1-of, probably in the board, but there's no cards anything like it below 10 CMC, and the difference between 12 and 15 mana to search cast is significant enough that I think it warrants testing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's the only red sweeper available that's not converge. Why would it be win more? Pyroclasm is a good card that is used all over. Printing a new one for 3 seems pretty relevant in standard. It's dumb that it's mythic, but it could do some work. Radiant flames isn't anywhere near as good.

i agree with this but this card isn't being played in a deck with such a heavy reliance on fragile creatures

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

AlternateNu posted:

Has there been an instant speed Pyroclasm effect costing <4 printed with the exception of Volcanic Fallout?

Jund Charm was the only I could find. If you wanted "all attacking creatures" there are a couple of those. Sulfurous Blast is 2rr, but lets you do 3 to all if you cast it as a sorcery.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Big news for modo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/year-of-modern-flashbacks-2015-12-14

10 ticket modern drafts a new set each week all year long non-phantom events.

i wonder if my account is still active, doing old drafts seems fun maybe

really i just wanna do kamigawa and see if i can't force the arcane mill deck everytime

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

I don't think it'd ever be more than a 1-of, probably in the board, but there's no cards anything like it below 10 CMC, and the difference between 12 and 15 mana to search cast is significant enough that I think it warrants testing.

Honestly the real problem is I'm not sure what artifact or enchantment you're exiling that isn't itself wrecking your ability to use Eye of Ugin and/or get to 6G and if its not something ruining your mana the Eye of Ugin + tron + grove/forest you need to fetch/cast World Breaker can also cast Newlamog and exile it anyway

You still need the Nature's Claims in the board for the Stony Silences and Blood Moons of the world anyway, so I don't think it'll have a slot in the end (I think I'd rather just have another copy of Newlamog in the side if I had the space)

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

jassi007 posted:

Big news for modo.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/year-of-modern-flashbacks-2015-12-14

They should do this all the time. The most fun I have with friends is going to one of our LGS getting 3 random boosters then we all draft what we buy

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

They should do this all the time.

Yes they should. They don't because that would be fun, and MTGO can never be allowed to be fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

Big news for modo.

Holy gently caress I love this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
New Kalitas works even through Rest In Peace because it's a replacement effect. I do believe he gets Undying/Persist creatures too.

He's neat, I'd like to see where he goes once Siege Rhino rotates and there's a real graveyard block.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The real reason that they're doing two sets per block instead of three now is so they can have a Zendikar block about Ulamog and Kozilek and save Emrakul for a third Zendikar block.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hueyjensen/status/676483048037216256

:lol:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

New Kalitas works even through Rest In Peace because it's a replacement effect. I do believe he gets Undying/Persist creatures too.

He's neat, I'd like to see where he goes once Siege Rhino rotates and there's a real graveyard block.
Yeah, but isn't Rest in Peace also a replacement effect? If two replacement effects affect an object, my understanding is that the the object's controller determine the order that replacement effect apply. Wouldn't that mean since Kalitas only affects your opponent's creatures (objects), they could simply apply the Rest in Peace effect to resolve first and not give you a zombie?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, but isn't Rest in Peace also a replacement effect? If two replacement effects affect an object, my understanding is that the the object's controller determine the order that replacement effect apply. Wouldn't that mean since Kalitas only affects your opponent's creatures (objects), they could simply apply the Rest in Peace effect to resolve first and not give you a zombie?

I think it's like the trick with Obzedat and Whip, because the effects aren't mutually exclusive they both happen? Or maybe it's a priority thing, in which case I guess it's down to who's turn it is.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

quote:

]616.1. If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply, following the steps listed below. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 101.4).

Example: Two permanents are on the battlefield. One is an enchantment that reads "If a card would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, instead exile it," and the other is a creature that reads "If [this creature] would be put into a graveyard from the battlefield, instead shuffle it into its owner's library." If the creature is destroyed, its controller decides which replacement to apply first; the other does nothing.

So there you go, if two replacement effects exist, the controller gets to pick, so yeah basically as long as rest in peace is in play you won't get any zombies unless your opponent lets you for some reason.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

jassi007 posted:

So there you go, if two replacement effects exist, the controller gets to pick, so yeah basically as long as rest in peace is in play you won't get any zombies unless your opponent lets you for some reason.

Isn't there some thing though where the fact that they're both sending it into exile makes a difference, though, where because they both agree on that point, the rest of each effect still happens?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it's like the trick with Obzedat and Whip, because the effects aren't mutually exclusive they both happen? Or maybe it's a priority thing, in which case I guess it's down to who's turn it is.

I believe that works because Whip's "If" clause only cares about zones other than Exile, so you can simply stack Whip's EOT trigger first then Ghost Dad's self-exile ability second (which resolves first).

The Lord of Hats posted:

Isn't there some thing though where the fact that they're both sending it into exile makes a difference, though, where because they both agree on that point, the rest of each effect still happens?

I would think Kalitas' ability simply fails to do anything if the object it attempts to affect isn't around for the effect to apply to.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Another spike. Wooooo...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ensnaring Bridge is drat good in a format deliberately based around combat and getting all of the cards out of your hand for ~value~ so this doesn't surprise me too much. I also don't know if a control deck in Modern could be oppressive enough to get a card like this banned so I hope there's room in your SB for artifact removal!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm a fan of SaffronOlive and think he's the best content producer out there right now but holy loving balls his new article about how "♦ is the SIXTH COLOR GUYS" is loving dumb. The fact that it operates as a casting restriction, of which there have been many in the history of MTG, solely in the Eldrazi set, doesn't make it a sixth color because literally nothing else in the game requires colorless and every single other colorless non-devoid card can be cast with Generic Mana. You might as well argue basically any casting restriction is in fact, a new color.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm a fan of SaffronOlive and think he's the best content producer out there right now but holy loving balls his new article about how "♦ is the SIXTH COLOR GUYS" is loving dumb. The fact that it operates as a casting restriction, of which there have been many in the history of MTG, solely in the Eldrazi set, doesn't make it a sixth color because literally nothing else in the game requires colorless and every single other colorless non-devoid card can be cast with Generic Mana. You might as well argue basically any casting restriction is in fact, a new color.

All mana in your mana pool is exactly one of W, U, B, R, G, and C. That's why C is basically a sixth color in a way that "mana produced by creatures" is not.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm a fan of SaffronOlive and think he's the best content producer out there right now but holy loving balls his new article about how "♦ is the SIXTH COLOR GUYS" is loving dumb garbage.

I kind of felt the same way. Today someone linked the GDS that Jon Loucks was in. He basically did part of his design on this colorless concept. Much of the design feedback he got was that they'd considered it, because it is a way to add a 6th color to magic that is retroactively compatible. Their main criticisms were it needed to be more defined and unique. Basically Eldrazi / Ugin are defining the colorless color. So yeah I'm more or less convinced this is the 6th color of magic and Maro & Co. will talk about it in their design reveals.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

All mana in your mana pool is exactly one of W, U, B, R, G, and C. That's why C is basically a sixth color in a way that "mana produced by creatures" is not.

Right, but WUBRG are also C in most situations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

This is explicitly not true, any more than "WUBR are also G in most situations" is true.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I think this is a confusion between C and generic mana. WUBRG are no more C than CUBRG are W (i.e. not at all).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

suicidesteve posted:

No, WUBRG can be used to pay for generic. That confusion is precisely why they gave C a symbol.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Just like how UBRG is W in most situations but not all.

edit: gently caress

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
*busts into the thread like kramer, tripping over legs and falling face down on page 78* s..s..sixth colorrr

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Showing what was at the end of the flashback draft article

NOTE: Due to bugs currently impacting Darksteel rares Gemini Engine and Thought Dissector, Darksteel boosters opened during between the January 6 and January 20 downtimes will not contain these cards, whether in these events or through the collection. (Each pack will still contain a rare.) These cards can be opened again in Darksteel boosters after the January 20 downtime.

Great job dev team!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Glad to see people are using generic vs colorless differentiation. Still lol that people can't wrap their heads around this. Hope you guys never play board games where either types of food or coins can be used to pay for a food (harvest) tax even though food isn't money. It's been around for years in resource management games.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fine WUBRG are generic mana which counts for colorless on almost every single card ever printed you bunch of pedants.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

suicidesteve posted:

Fine WUBRG are generic mana which counts for colorless

none of these words mean what you think they mean

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

i thought it was pretty dumb too but i think all the people who can't seem to wrap there heads around the change are also dumb to be quite frank

like i instantly understood what was going on when i saw the change i don't understand how you couldn't tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

suicidesteve posted:

Fine WUBRG are generic mana which counts for colorless on almost every single card ever printed you bunch of pedants.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Showing what was at the end of the flashback draft article

NOTE: Due to bugs currently impacting Darksteel rares Gemini Engine and Thought Dissector, Darksteel boosters opened during between the January 6 and January 20 downtimes will not contain these cards, whether in these events or through the collection. (Each pack will still contain a rare.) These cards can be opened again in Darksteel boosters after the January 20 downtime.

Great job dev team!

yeah that made me lol but luckily neither of those cards looked particuarly awesome so i'm fine with them being dead

• Locked thread