Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I mean I guess you could synthesise useful hazmat gear out of whatever their bodies are made of given they resist acid so well, and the face hugger can synthesise oxygen somehow so that's useful. There's all kinds of useful poo poo you could extrapolate from their biology but oops everyone's dead because uh life uh uh finds a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The acid blood alone would probably be of interested to the weapons division. It would be an effective weapon and also method for removing obstacles or things you didn't want found.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Light Gun Man posted:

The acid blood alone would probably be of interested to the weapons division. It would be an effective weapon and also method for removing obstacles or things you didn't want found.

Much like regular acid.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Much like regular acid.

Are there existing acids that work that fast, on that many materials, and have an obvious bright color?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

A weapon of mass destruction you ultimately can't control, that can't be a metaphor for anything :v:

Get a face hugger, infect someone, catch the chest burster (as they're small enough to not be a threat) and plant a small bomb in its skull. Then drop it on a planet, let it kill everyone, and then detonate the bomb.

For bigger planets, release a horde of face huggers that have a genetically engineered lysine deficiency.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Light Gun Man posted:

Are there existing acids that work that fast, on that many materials, and have an obvious bright color?

Nitric acid works on most metals, and Piranha Solution works on organic material. Not sure why a bright colour is an advantage but there's more than a few acid-stable dyes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Nitric acid works on most metals, and Piranha Solution works on organic material. Not sure why a bright colour is an advantage but there's more than a few acid-stable dyes.

Which reminds me - the droopy melty effect of alien blood is east to replicate at home. Just get some polystyrene trays, the kind burgers used to come in, and pour some acetone in.

It probably gives off something toxic, so open a window.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Light Gun Man posted:

Any movie acid ever.

Also, I always found the conspiracy angle in Alien kind of counterproductive. The entire situation being engineered actually made it less frightening, since it took away the random nature of the horror. I understand how it helps and improves the overall story and theme, bit for the horror, I found it detrimental.

e X has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Dec 14, 2015

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Which reminds me - the droopy melty effect of alien blood is east to replicate at home. Just get some polystyrene trays, the kind burgers used to come in, and pour some acetone in.

It probably gives off something toxic, so open a window.

In high school we used that to freak people out. Get them to hold the chunk of polystyrene and then spray some of the acetone on it, and it like whoa, then spray some on their hand or arm, the acetone evaporates really fast so it feels weird they think it's eating their arm....

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Get a face hugger, infect someone, catch the chest burster (as they're small enough to not be a threat) and plant a small bomb in its skull. Then drop it on a planet, let it kill everyone, and then detonate the bomb.

For bigger planets, release a horde of face huggers that have a genetically engineered lysine deficiency.

Except a single alien won't be able to murder everyone in the world. gently caress, it didn't manage to murder a ship full of truckers. That's even if you ignore the eggmorphing stuff from the directors cut. It's loving hilarious how many different ways the various corporations decide they're going to somehow use the aliens in the comics and everyone just gets eaten and face hugged.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

e X posted:

Any movie acid ever.

Also, I always found the conspiracy angle in Alien kind of counterproductive. The entire situation being engineered actually made it less frightening, since it took away the random nature of the horror. I understand how it helps and improves the overall story and theme, bit for the horror, I found it detrimental.

Agreed. It should feel like things are coming off the rails, not like they're carefully controlled rails that are intentionally leading you into a crash test situation.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If you have a bomb which can wipe out a whole planet, why bother with the xenomorphs?

If you have a bomb which can only take out a single alien, you run the risk of another queen.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Dec 14, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Light Gun Man posted:

No. But in the Aliens universe, there is, because they comment went they cut into the facehugger and its blood melts through multiple decks of the ship: "I haven't seen anything like that except, uh, molecular acid." So an acid like that already exists.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

GazChap posted:

" Look, those two specimens are worth millions to the bio-weapons division, right? Now, if you're smart, we can both come out of it as heroes, and we will be set up for life."
That's not much of an incentive, this is hundreds of years from now and they're talking millions. A company that big that pisses about throughout the galaxy (are they in a different galaxy at this point?) and that has all sorts of business interests, surely you don't even think in terms of billions anymore at that point

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

No. But in the Aliens universe, there is, because they comment went they cut into the facehugger and its blood melts through multiple decks of the ship: "I haven't seen anything like that except, uh, molecular acid." So an acid like that already exists.

Molecular acid is some extreme poo poo

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Speaking dumb plans to genetically engineer monsters as military weapons, there's Jurassic World which had to keep coming up with contrived reasons why the men with guns couldn't just shoot the super dinosaur.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I always thought it was odd that they'd send a giant space navy vessel like the Sulaco to make *holds pinky to mouth* millions of dollars.

Likewise at Ripley's debriefing when the lady accuses her of detonating the engines of and thereby destroying a spacecraft worth *something something less than the cost of a B2 bomber*

Seriously screwed up numbers for a gigantic mining vessel like that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

syscall girl posted:

I always thought it was odd that they'd send a giant space navy vessel like the Sulaco to make *holds pinky to mouth* millions of dollars.

Likewise at Ripley's debriefing when the lady accuses her of detonating the engines of and thereby destroying a spacecraft worth *something something less than the cost of a B2 bomber*

Giant space navy vessel with roughly 15 people on board as well.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

syscall girl posted:

Adjusted dollars. There's no indication whatsoever how much that is worth in present-day terms.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Vulpes posted:

Adjusted dollars. There's no indication whatsoever how much that is worth in present-day terms.

Often in movies whenever a character is offered a large sum of money for whatever reason, it's written down on a piece of paper and handed over rather than actuall saying it like an actual human. I always figured the reason was partly the fact that money changes value over time, also the fact that what constitutes a lot of money varies from person to person.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd say it's more of a psychological thing; if you're negotiating with someone, especially someone not used to big money, and offer 3.5 million, they'll focus on the friendly "3.5" and shoot for a difference of maybe 1 or 1.5 million in their favor. Written down as 3,500,000.00 they're much more intimidated by the number and will probably only counter by a couple hundred grand, if even that much

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

syscall girl posted:

They're Canadian dollars, and also in the futre Canada has had some pretty extreme deflation.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Mystery Men talk earlier made me go back to try to watch it. I couldn't make it all the way through. What was it with the mid-to-late nineties that made directors think dutch angles and fisheye were good artistic decisions?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Mostly just so you can see where it is easily, as to not end up touching it yourself while using it.

Phanatic posted:

Oh, well then. gently caress my idea :v: I was just enjoying the mental image of alien blood being used in place of C4 to blow a door or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

If you want to be irritated about anything in the Alien universe, be irritated about that. All acids are molecular.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fil5000 posted:

This isn't terribly far-fetched though. Think about the size of the Saturn 5 rocket that only had three crew. Put engines and fuel tanks in it big enough to take it across the galaxy, and then think about all the firepower they probably have, and it doesn't leave much room.

Oh yeah, the ship had a huge pressurised cargo hold and massive hangars etc with tons of redundant space for the dropships. Ok resume irritation.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Ended up watching part of the original Day of the Jackal last week. After a tense conversation about how difficult it will be to assassinate the President of France, they get down to the crunch....
"I'll do it - for half a million!"
"Francs?"
"No, dollars!"
- gasps all around -

Not sure exactly what the exchange rate was back then, but about 100k to take control of France sounds like a good deal!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Danger Mahoney posted:

The Mystery Men talk earlier made me go back to try to watch it. I couldn't make it all the way through. What was it with the mid-to-late nineties that made directors think dutch angles and fisheye were good artistic decisions?

That director had a background in directing commercials. Yo quiero Taco Bell.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Danger Mahoney posted:

Agreed. That movie has some horrid art direction. Real talk though, if you want a pretty funny (and VERY nineties) superhero comedy, then The Specials is what's up. It's not very good, but it has its moments. Plus Rob Lowe, Jamie Kennedy, and Thomas Haden Church.

And anytime I see mention of a fisheye lens I think of this Home Movies episode where Brenden's only justification for wanting one is because "You put it on your camera and you make images look WEIRD." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWc_PKDP-8

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Zaphod42 posted:

If you have a bomb which can wipe out a whole planet, why bother with the xenomorphs?

Plausible deniability. "Oh the hippie planet doesn't want to pay taxes? I hope they enjoy the slow nightmare of an earth hive."

Then afterwards: "Well that planets a mess now, i guess we have to blow the fucker up."

Fragmented has a new favorite as of 03:51 on Dec 15, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vulpes posted:

The Aliens universe is also the Street Fighter Movie Universe, but one where Bison won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shxiy7l5b_4

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kramdar posted:

That director had a background in directing commercials. Yo quiero Taco Bell.
So did Jonathan Glazer, who then did Sexy Beast; a great movie, but it has some seriously weird shots where the camera was affixed to a moving object, and they all come out of nowhere. Not a complaint, mind you, just reminded me.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pseudohog posted:

Ended up watching part of the original Day of the Jackal last week. After a tense conversation about how difficult it will be to assassinate the President of France, they get down to the crunch....
"I'll do it - for half a million!"
"Francs?"
"No, dollars!"
- gasps all around -

Not sure exactly what the exchange rate was back then, but about 100k to take control of France sounds like a good deal!

It's about a fifth of today's purchasing power.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Mystery Men... when Smash Mouth starts playing I shoot myself.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Fil5000 posted:

Giant bulk container ships only have a crew of about 13 or so. I thought the Sulaco was basically a space u-haul towing mined material back to Earth.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I think there just needs to be a supercut of that movie to just be all of Raul Julia's scenes and nothing else.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

MariusLecter posted:

Mystery Men... when Smash Mouth starts playing I shoot myself.

Felt like that song was in every single movie that year except office space. And then a few years late to the bandwagon rat race ruins a completely fine movie with a smash mouth cameo to play the song they play.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
My IMM is that I like Mystery Men but nobody else does.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

nexus6 posted:

Giant bulk container ships only have a crew of about 13 or so. I thought the Sulaco was basically a space u-haul towing mined material back to Earth.

The Nostromo was just hauling poo poo. Remember they were bitching about their cut of the profits?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Memento posted:

Oh yeah, the ship had a huge pressurised cargo hold and massive hangars etc with tons of redundant space for the dropships. Ok resume irritation.

Maybe they had tanks and things. Or needed space for carrying poo poo back from the places they went to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Depressio111117 posted:

My IMM is that I like Mystery Men but nobody else does.
I spent so long tracking down a DVD, but I remember being slightly disappointed even then. Still have it. All attempts at rewatching it have been pre-empted by a strong feeling of "maybe let's keep the memory of an alright-on-the-whole film and not face the cold hard truth."

Occasionally I remember it has Tom Waits in it and I'm like :psyduck: