Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

devmd01 posted:

Thursday 6pm, thanks Dell. I'll sit through a 30 minute sales pitch for a free movie ticket and snacks. :smugdog:

poo poo that is pissing me off today: network admin rolled out switch firmware updates yesterday morning, and a 48 port at our biggest location outside of hq is bricked. Said network admin has been on a plane for the last 2 and a half hours so its been up to me, a windows engineer who knows how to do sh run and that's about it, to try and clean up the mess the network admin created.

Check if the old firmware is still on the switch to be booted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Is it, really? Seems we'd all be better off without them.

One of them is my cousin and I love her, so yes.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

This probably isn't the thread to ask, but does anyone have an experience with an HR hero? A single encounter where you walked away from an HR event going, "That HR person loving nailed it."

What's there to nail? Anyone with a heartbeat and the ability to follow simple instructions should be able to waltz into just about any HR job and perform it reasonably well.

Edit: I like how the anecdotes below are basically "person did their job properly" which shows just how terrible most HR departments are that "nailing it" has such a low bar.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 14, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

devmd01 posted:

Thursday 6pm, thanks Dell. I'll sit through a 30 minute sales pitch for a free movie ticket and snacks. :smugdog:

poo poo that is pissing me off today: network admin rolled out switch firmware updates yesterday morning, and a 48 port at our biggest location outside of hq is bricked. Said network admin has been on a plane for the last 2 and a half hours so its been up to me, a windows engineer who knows how to do sh run and that's about it, to try and clean up the mess the network admin created.

Cisco hardware?

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

This probably isn't the thread to ask, but does anyone have an experience with an HR hero? A single encounter where you walked away from an HR event going, "That HR person loving nailed it."

At my current company we almost never deal with HR directly, there's one managing partner who does 99% of the employee interaction and you only ever see HR if you done hosed up and official paperwork needs to be filed. That being said, this manager is top loving notch. Seriously I've never dealt with a boss/manager/HR rep that is as great as him. I haven't had to be written up or anything serious, but he helped me out after my car got written off and I was in the process of buying a new one (had my back when I was late cause transit sucks). The best part about him is his ability and willingness to actually communicate with you when there's issues rather than wait until they're persistent/bad enough to warrant anything going on "your file".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

I've had a few occasions when I've been managing people and needed help from hr and they've steered me in exactly the right direction and either made sure that I got the staff member what they needed or backed me up when I needed to start disciplinary poo poo.

The one who showed up late for a conference call she organised to tell a bunch of us details of our upcoming redundancy, repeatedly referred to the mass culling of hundreds of employees as "this piece of change" and generally acted annoyed at having to have the conversation at all can go gently caress off though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Agrikk posted:

We had an awesome woman doing new hires for a while. She quit after 2 months. :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

There was this old HR lady in the navy when I was interviewing for a position there in 2013, she sorted all my travel poo poo out and helped me fix my security forms etc. like it was nothing. Generally you have to fight tooth and nail to get any of that sorted, but not that time. Back when I enlisted in 2006 I had a hell of a time getting everything sorted, ugh.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

22 Eargesplitten posted:

One of them is my cousin and I love her, so yes.

I wasn't suggesting HR people be euthanized, just most of their function.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I attribute the vast shittiness of corporate America due to the ever increasing role HR plays, especially in hiring.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
HR is there to balance out the shitheads in Sales. Their job is to be nice and absorb the garbage doled out when firing said shitheads.

They're also a legal buffer when something happens in the workplace. "We have Dora here and she's state-certified in handling these incidents, no need to hire a lawyer please!"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

When they hired me :smug:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

I had one single good person in HR in the gov org that I was with. She basically knew her job to the T and she was a nice person that I could ask advice of and was the only non gossiping HR person i'd ever met. I miss her so much :(

On my companies front, the HR tech recruiter just quit after only 2 months, our new person to replace him quit after a day, our HR director quit. The whole place is a mess of turn over and NO ONE knows ANYTHING. It's complete misery here in help desk because poor new peeps call with no idea whats going on. Hurray non profit land.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

When they hired me :smug:

:golfclap:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
HR Talk? Those people who refuse to raise our pay to reasonable rates because reasons?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Gothmog1065 posted:

HR Talk? Those people who refuse to raise our pay to reasonable rates because reasons?

Because they get a CD full of rates that are comparing your very west coast city to midwest pay rates? Also that stupid loving disk always requires admin rights to install it because every quarter its an actual installer.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
We have a pretty decent HR department. Come to think of it they weren't even present when I had my interview. They just handle the legal side of things. Works quite well, actually.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gently caress Webster Report service. That thing crashes like crazy and will deny even an admin from "restart if fails" if you try and use it that reboot. Finally got every computer "stable" by telling that piece of junk to restart. Same with the ADP program.

HR uses both programs where I am! HR is also the finance department for some reason. I mean the CIO is actually qualified but most of the BS paper work gets shoveled to HR I guess.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Crowley posted:

We have a pretty decent HR department. Come to think of it they weren't even present when I had my interview. They just handle the legal side of things. Works quite well, actually.

So what you are saying is, the best HR department is the one that barely exists?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agrikk posted:

The old HR department at this place, back when I was in IT was pretty great. They kept angry managers off my back, gave me as much notice as they physcally could on new hires, and backed me up in staring down sales C-levels demanding a computer for their new hire that nobody knows about RIGHT NOW and were generally awesome. They also were pretty great at dealing with workspace conflicts (and some lovely management). I've since moved on to the ops side of things, but they still are pretty good in terms of being competent HR as far as the new guys in IT tell me.

Which reminds me: at some point I need to write up the saga of Bob the IT Director (names changed to protect the guilty), his sole underling OWLS!, and why pissing off a competent HR department is a terrible idea.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Our HR lady is really helpful and nice. She even has a bowl of candy on her desk. :3:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

OWLS! posted:

new hire that nobody knows about RIGHT NOW and were generally awesome.

This is why I always keep a spare computer prepped with everything I a new hire would need. Works great as a drop in replacement if someone gets a virus and you want to play around and see if you can figure out what exactly got into your network while also getting the user back up and running quickly.

Also lets you get someone on a computer with zero day notice.

If you have departmental software, you are kind of out of luck, but you can at least get them into email in the short term until you buy more licenses for whatever software the department uses.

OWLS! posted:

Which reminds me: at some point I need to write up the saga of Bob the IT Director (names changed to protect the guilty), his sole underling OWLS!, and why pissing off a competent HR department is a terrible idea.

This sounds great

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

An Angry Bug posted:

Our HR lady is really helpful and nice. She even has a bowl of candy on her desk. :3:

My HR lady is largely irritating but when I had all of my female employees complaining about another employee's choice of blouses, I was able to say, hey, HR lady, do the needful and the problem went away and I never had to use the words 'excessive cleavage'

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Seriously.

I did a lot of volunteer work (basically a fulltime internship but it couldn't be called that for various reasons) at a city and the HR department there was wonderful to work with. From what I understand though, that was the result of many years of restructuring and cleaning house. People there had stories from their prior workplaces that were basically the HR equivalents of this thread, so I guess it was very much an exception rather than the norm.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Look at the suckers who have a HR department. :smug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"I need you to add Fedex shipping to the computer in our office in Texas"

Do you have an account?

"No. Just get it added."

I'm IT. I don't sign contracts with shipping companies. We use UPS not Fedex.

"Why don't you want to be helpful! You're an rear end in a top hat!"

Why don't you have your boss call someone at Fedex and get a shipping account setup and I'll assist them with installing the software when it gets to that point.

"I'm going to tell your boss you're not being helpful"

:crossarms:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bob Morales posted:

"I need you to add Fedex shipping to the computer in our office in Texas"

Do you have an account?

"No. Just get it added."

I'm IT. I don't sign contracts with shipping companies. We use UPS not Fedex.

Why don't you have your boss call someone at Fedex and get a shipping account setup and I'll assist them with installing the software when it gets to that point.

"I'm going to tell your boss you're not being helpful"

:crossarms:

You should be glad you put your foot down on that. Fedex's new system doesn't require an install if you do it right. All contacts can be stored online with out installing their old bullshit database now. I think all that ends up being done now is a driver for the scale. We had a long long fight about the fedex box at one of my old companies. If you install that stupid database the migration off of it blows.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Skandranon posted:

So what you are saying is, the best HR department is the one that barely exists?

No. I'm saying our HR department is good at what they do, and that their responsibilities seem different from the (US) norm. For example, I can't imagine why you'd need a HR rep being involved in a hiring. All they could possibly assist with was checking exam papers from accredited schools, but anything technical or person-skill wise depends entirely on the department they're hiring into, both on skills and ability to fit into the department.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

hihifellow posted:

Speaking of random poo poo on networks, we just found a managed hp 8g poe+ switch on our network with no admin password. We quickly figured out it belongs to the company our security department uses to install the security cameras.

Which also do not have admin passwords and can be webbed in to freely.

poo poo I don't want know about.

Got that a couple months ago, myself. What could go wrong?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

HR Chat: Our HR person is ... awful. She's not paid people properly A TON of times, I'm sure it's happened to me and I missed it. She's hosed people over by not sending in health insurance forms quickly enough and other stuff. Also, you have questions regarding your health insurance plan and making sense of the awful plan that we picked? She'll helpfully tell you to look on the website which may as well be in loving chinese because neither I, nor my brother (who worked in medical billing IT for a long time, so knows a good bit about insurance), could figure out what the gently caress our plan covers/doesn't cover.

I want to strangle her on a near weekly basis.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Bob Morales posted:

We're going to be talking to HR before this conversation goes any further.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2021

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pixaal posted:

This is why I always keep a spare computer prepped with everything I a new hire would need. Works great as a drop in replacement if someone gets a virus and you want to play around and see if you can figure out what exactly got into your network while also getting the user back up and running quickly.

That works great until your boss yoinks that machine for himself, sends it overseas, or decides to give out to a user because the boss is unable to troubleshoot dead batteries in a wireless mouse. So this happens every time you build the drat box, and you just kind of give up, and just keep a slightly-shittier last-years' model floating around locked in your desk that you can hand out as a spare while you do the actual build. (Because god help you if you give out the spare.)

"Here, you can have this while your actual computer gets built, come see me this afternoon, have fun in your HR training."

Like I said, stories.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

HR never tells me when people leave so their accounts aren't disabled. I'm trying to get them to set up the payroll system to email me when someone is terminated but the HR dude seems more interested in picking his nose.

https://support.okta.com/help/articles/Knowledge_Article/96431486-Workday-Deployment-Guide-Version-4-0

A beautiful thing

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

HR never tells me when people leave so their accounts aren't disabled. I'm trying to get them to set up the payroll system to email me when someone is terminated but the HR dude seems more interested in picking his nose.

We recently implemented Microsoft Identity Manager, it integrates with our HR system, so employees that are terminated or leave, automatically are disabled. Helpdesk still gets an override button for this, either force account open, or force disabled. Works very well, in fact.
(Before implementing MIM this way, there were several hundred "ghost" accounts.)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Crowley posted:

No. I'm saying our HR department is good at what they do, and that their responsibilities seem different from the (US) norm. For example, I can't imagine why you'd need a HR rep being involved in a hiring. All they could possibly assist with was checking exam papers from accredited schools, but anything technical or person-skill wise depends entirely on the department they're hiring into, both on skills and ability to fit into the department.

This is exactly the problem in the US.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The day I was hired, because I wasn't from the area, the HR lady drove me to a nice trendy part of the city to show me around and suggested that I live there. I was exhausted because it was the same day that I interviewed and completely out of it with everything that had happened that day.

I didn't end up living there because I felt it was too far but, now, I actually live exactly where she told me I should live.

She's great.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

go3 posted:

This is exactly the problem in the US.
Yeah I don't know how I'd get my hiring done if the HR department wasn't parsing their resume for me and telling me who I should hire based on their (0) years of experience in IT. - Signed, an American.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I don't know how I'd get my hiring done if the HR department wasn't parsing their resume for me and telling me who I should hire based on their (0) years of experience in IT. - Signed, an American.

A good HR dept should be filtering out the rubbish applicants (people who don't actually meet the job pre-reqs) and give the hiring manager the good ones. Then they should give a good framework for conducting the interview and maybe even sit in on it to make sure that the interviewer isn't doing something bad or illegal (and be able to answer non-technical job related questions if needed).

I have said before HR is a difficult role that needs a deep understanding of employment law and best practice for running an efficient work place. Good HR are like good project managers. Worth their weight in gold.

The problem is the people who often gravitate to it are people who see it as the business equivalent of old fashioned nursing (holding hands and being nice) or its a dumping ground for the people no one else wants.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Foxtrot_13 posted:

A good HR dept should be filtering out the rubbish applicants (people who don't actually meet the job pre-reqs) and give the hiring manager the good ones. Then they should give a good framework for conducting the interview and maybe even sit in on it to make sure that the interviewer isn't doing something bad or illegal (and be able to answer non-technical job related questions if needed).

Isn't that what they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Speaking of HR...

Today we got an offboarding notice for someone who has been here for 4 months. End date: July 2016. What the hell. Our offboarding process is convoluted but at least it exists when there was zero process or notification from HR a year ago. The associated tickets: reimage machine, make pst of their mail, move data, disable accounts etc will now clutter up someone's queue for 6 months. I'd think maybe they were going to have a kid and are quitting in advance to facilitate a switchover, but this isn't an isolated thing.