Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is Steam Workshop a thing yet?

It is, but there are three things on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.
I have a few questions about how armor works (like the one the Siren or Hans have). Does it just shave off a fraction of damage if you hit an armored section? Does penetration negate it in part? Does it apply also to fire damage ?

I was wondering also about Hans's damage model, IIRC some update notes suggested that shooting his glowing part or the tank on his back will do extra damage but I haven't found a confirmation that he had some specific weak points, except for his head, does anyone know more ?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The best part about the free weekend was going around and seeing doors welded shut everywhere.

I actually got some pretty good pub groups, beat Hans and Pat most of the time and generally everyone was open to advice. The very last group I got last night though, holy poo poo. Share dosh w/ players? NEGATIVE. Stop welding doors? NEGATIVE. Stick together? NEGATIVE. Wipe out once FPs show up? AFFIRMATIVE.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Require More Fire posted:

The best part about the free weekend was going around and seeing doors welded shut everywhere.

I actually got some pretty good pub groups, beat Hans and Pat most of the time and generally everyone was open to advice. The very last group I got last night though, holy poo poo. Share dosh w/ players? NEGATIVE. Stop welding doors? NEGATIVE. Stick together? NEGATIVE. Wipe out once FPs show up? AFFIRMATIVE.

It is so frustrating when people don't want to share money.

Mother fucker, it is a team game. You whore the money, you make it that much harder to win.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CaudaVenenus posted:

I have a few questions about how armor works (like the one the Siren or Hans have). Does it just shave off a fraction of damage if you hit an armored section? Does penetration negate it in part? Does it apply also to fire damage ?

I was wondering also about Hans's damage model, IIRC some update notes suggested that shooting his glowing part or the tank on his back will do extra damage but I haven't found a confirmation that he had some specific weak points, except for his head, does anyone know more ?

I'm wondering this as well. If I'm behind Hans I generally try to unload into the pack on his back. It'd be nice to know if that's a waste of ammo.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Green/orange/red thing on backpack and chest as well as head take 1.1x damage. Shooting his backpack is not a waste of bullets.

Kikas posted:

They ceratinly do, it's like the sirens "armor".

Looking it up in the datamined spreadsheet it looks like the exosuit and his arms and legs take 0.5x damage. That's another thing making Hans more annoying to fight then if a lot of your bullets just plink off of him. Like despite everyones best aiming efforts and knowing where to aim at, because of his small frame and him moving around quite fast in phase 3 a lot of the shots taken are wasted.

Microwave guns for everybody I guess? Clots, Cysts, Slashers and Crawlers are resistant to MWG but it does so much damage you hardly notice. Meanwhile Scrakes take double damage from it, Fleshpounds take full damage (as opposed to half from everything but MWG, explosive and piercing) and Hans and Pat take 1.25x damage from it.

Firebug is the chosen one.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Martout posted:

Firebug is the chosen one.

As it was always was destined to be.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Legit bug: If you die while holding any dual version of a Gunslinger weapon, you only drop one. I.e., I'm emptying all my .500 rounds into an FP, he swipes me, even though I'm holding two, I only drop one. Same for Deagle, etc etc.

There's also some way to make the "Rack Up Headshots" perk better, but I don't know how. It's a bit impractical to ask folks to keep their headshot counter high when they get swamped by trash. Husks are perfect for racking up your counter though. AND it makes the 9mm viable lategame.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There's also some way to make the "Rack Up Headshots" perk better, but I don't know how. It's a bit impractical to ask folks to keep their headshot counter high when they get swamped by trash. Husks are perfect for racking up your counter though. AND it makes the 9mm viable lategame.

Obvious solution: don't reset the counter to 6 after a person misses their 15th shot or whatever. If I can get up to 25 consecutive headshots, let me keep those extra headshots as insurance for when I need to do some magdumping.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Obvious solution: don't reset the counter to 6 after a person misses their 15th shot or whatever. If I can get up to 25 consecutive headshots, let me keep those extra headshots as insurance for when I need to do some magdumping.

That would be absolutely absurd, it's already pretty easy to keep the counter up high enough that the perk is a straight upgrade over the other perk at that tier. Gunslinger is not a class where you should be mag dumping 99% of the time anyway, the spread gets ridiculous really quickly and reload times are long as gently caress. Keep calm and shoot heads at a steady pace.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Booya posted:

That would be absolutely absurd, it's already pretty easy to keep the counter up high enough that the perk is a straight upgrade over the other perk at that tier. Gunslinger is not a class where you should be mag dumping 99% of the time anyway, the spread gets ridiculous really quickly and reload times are long as gently caress. Keep calm and shoot heads at a steady pace.

99% of the time, that extra damage doesn't actually matter because you're one-shotting stuff with or without the bonus. And on the big stuff, you're going to blow through your banked up bonus very quickly, to little benefit.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Psion posted:

Also, I don't have gunslinger 25 yet but to me the choice is "if I have full mags and zed time pops I can obliterate anything with 3x fire" against "I never have to worry about running out so I can always be firing in zed time" ... I can see the appeal but to me gunslinger is a slow but steady wins the race kind of class, so the no-reload perk seems like it would be less powerful in an "oh poo poo scrake in my face" zed time but more reliable because it could help in all ZTs where you had enemies in view. I'd prefer that, so, that's the one I plan on taking.

So I played a bit with Uber Ammo just now and I wasn't terribly impressed with it. The way it actually works is it gives you infinite ammo if and only if your clip* is almost-but-not-quite empty. I didn't have much opportunity to test the exact limits of it, but I'm guessing it works when you've got exactly one bullet in your gun--or, if you've got an akimbo weapon, one bullet in each gun. (I only had it happen with akimbos and it always gave me infinite ammo when I had 2 shots left; I can't say if it also works if you have 1 bullet in an akimbo weapon, though I assume it would.) It's possible it also works with 0 shots, but if that's the case it seems Quick Draw takes priority for some reason, because I always switched weapons when I tried to fire an empty gun. The thing is, zed time only rarely lasts long enough for you to actually fire more than a couple of shots, even if you're magdumping, so I never felt like I was getting a whole lot out of it; usually I either had too many bullets in my clip to take advantage of it or I was completely dry and/or in the middle of a reload, in which case it didn't do much either. If your team is really tight and getting a lot of zed time extensions you might get some solid use out of it but it's really rare to see that happen.

I find that because you carry so many guns as a GS, I usually have full ammo in at least some of them when zed time hits, whereas going into zed time with few enough shots to trigger Uber Ammo only happened a couple of times over the course of a match and usually when I had the 1858 or 1911 out (which is fine but obviously less desirable than the magnum or deagle). I think I'm going to stick with Fanfire because at least it does something all of the time, even if I can't always take advantage of it.

Of course, some of this may come down to playstyle; for me gunslinger is less about slow and steady and more about having the judgment to decide when you need to line up the shots and when it's better to just start dumping. I find myself doing both as the situation requires, which is the primary reason I take Bone Breaker over Rack 'Em Up. The headshot counter always gets me killed on later waves because I start going "I need to line up the perfect shot and make the number bigger!" instead of "I need to kill these zeds before they eat my face."

*Some nerd in-game chided me for calling it a clip instead of a magazine so consider this a preemptive "shut the gently caress up."

Booya
Feb 17, 2012

LuciferMorningstar posted:

99% of the time, that extra damage doesn't actually matter because you're one-shotting stuff with or without the bonus. And on the big stuff, you're going to blow through your banked up bonus very quickly, to little benefit.

On the big stuff, I just keep shooting it in the head like I shoot everything else in the head, unless it's like a fleshpound charging away from me. The counter resetting to 6 is just a nice buffer for when I gently caress it up.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/758092906493684178

Hotfix time!

On Gunslinger, I swap between the deagles and 1911s just based on whether or not I can instakill a thing with them. For instance, stalkers die in one deagle bodyshot and crawlers die to one 1911 bodyshot with piercing on both guns. The passive flat 20% bonus makes nearly no difference, it's only good for instantly decapping bloats with 1911s as far as I can tell.

But to say that you chew through your headshot bonuses on big zeds is just silly. I still use it for mag dumping into big zed heads, which is very easy because unlike other zeds, they run in very predictable straight lines. And you fire so quickly and with so little recoil, you can immediately rack up around 6-7 headshots almost immediately. Unless they nerf Gunslinger's bodyshot damage and the passive's numbers gets shuffled around so you can still instakill things with bodyshots, Rack 'Em Up is a straight upgrade.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I find dual deagles nearly impossible to use efficiently. The recoil and huge muzzle flash makes it a bitch to actually line up shots consistently.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I was disappointed with how Quick Draw worked, I was expecting it to simply speed up pistol switching in general. I didn't realize the tooltip meant that it would switch guns whenever they ran dry even with more ammo left. Basically it makes reloading mandatory manual, and if you click one time too many welp you're switching weapons now. I don't see how you're expected to keep your guns loaded without constantly switching back and forth reloading all the time.

I think it would actually be useful if it just affected weapon switch speed and left the reload mechanics alone. Or am I simply being too click-happy and need to slow down and more deliberately fire at heads? I was planning on taking the 20% global damage at lv10 because (I assume) that would stack with a headshot bonus, but you still get a bit of help when you miss or try to magdump into a FP's glowy chest thing.

I also keep going back and forth if I want dualies or single guns. I'm thinking I'll try splitting the difference, getting a single 500 and deagle for precision damage and doubling up on 1911s and 9mms for dumping into trash.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Takes No Damage posted:

I was disappointed with how Quick Draw worked, I was expecting it to simply speed up pistol switching in general. I didn't realize the tooltip meant that it would switch guns whenever they ran dry even with more ammo left. Basically it makes reloading mandatory manual, and if you click one time too many welp you're switching weapons now. I don't see how you're expected to keep your guns loaded without constantly switching back and forth reloading all the time.

I think it would actually be useful if it just affected weapon switch speed and left the reload mechanics alone. Or am I simply being too click-happy and need to slow down and more deliberately fire at heads? I was planning on taking the 20% global damage at lv10 because (I assume) that would stack with a headshot bonus, but you still get a bit of help when you miss or try to magdump into a FP's glowy chest thing.

I also keep going back and forth if I want dualies or single guns. I'm thinking I'll try splitting the difference, getting a single 500 and deagle for precision damage and doubling up on 1911s and 9mms for dumping into trash.

You just need to adjust. Quick Draw is a great skill because it lets you basically magdump incredibly fast on top of swapping your guns quickly to adjust to certain situations. You can also reload cancel by switching to and back to the weapon you're reloading, which is great seeing as Gunslinger has massive reload times.

On the matter of dual wielding, if you're not using dualies then you're not playing optimally. That doesn't mean you're being useless, it's mostly a matter of preference, but you can't do emergency mag dumps with just a single gun.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Are the goon servers in the OP pretty active?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Are the goon servers in the OP pretty active?

They're pretty active in the sense that they're dead and no longer runner.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Theta Zero posted:

You just need to adjust. Quick Draw is a great skill because it lets you basically magdump incredibly fast on top of swapping your guns quickly to adjust to certain situations. You can also reload cancel by switching to and back to the weapon you're reloading, which is great seeing as Gunslinger has massive reload times.

On the matter of dual wielding, if you're not using dualies then you're not playing optimally. That doesn't mean you're being useless, it's mostly a matter of preference, but you can't do emergency mag dumps with just a single gun.

Hm maybe. I get the feeling like either I need to play with single guns and pop heads like SS or go dualies and use the extra rounds to play like a Commando Jr. Guess I need to work on switching back and forth as the situation dictates. Man GS is way more complicated than any of the other classes so far, kinda wish they all had multiple playstyle options like this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Use dualies enough and you'll learn to pop heads at longer ranges and never have to worry about it, or middle-click and get the alternate aim mode and try that. I can't stand the alt aim mode but it might work for you. But really, some more practice and you will be able to chain headshots with the dualies. Single pistols are a waste for Gunslinger imo.

Another possibility is simply waiting a couple seconds for them to get a little closer and then open up. Commando can hit anything it can see, most other classes aren't that pinpoint at long range.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 14, 2015

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Psion posted:

Use dualies enough and you'll learn to pop heads at longer ranges and never have to worry about it, or middle-click and get the alternate aim mode and try that.

:aaa:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

If that is where you hold one gun up towards the center of the screen like they did when dual 9mm first got patched in.......... :aaa:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Psion posted:

Use dualies enough and you'll learn to pop heads at longer ranges and never have to worry about it, or middle-click and get the alternate aim mode and try that. I can't stand the alt aim mode but it might work for you. But really, some more practice and you will be able to chain headshots with the dualies. Single pistols are a waste for Gunslinger imo.

On the other hand, you can't carry all four akimbos at once, and if you can squeeze in at least a single from each tier (not too hard) you've got a lot of ammo to play with.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Opposing Farce posted:

On the other hand, you can't carry all four akimbos at once, and if you can squeeze in at least a single from each tier (not too hard) you've got a lot of ammo to play with.

If you aren't carri g a medic pistol you are a bad teammate

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Or playing Firebug/Deagle Demo.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

You can't quick draw a medic pistol so it is worthless to me.

(I do take the medic pistol when I grab dual magnums, since they leave you with 1 spare weight, but whether I take those or end up with akimbo everything+single magnum ends up varying from game to game.)

Also, it's pretty easy to have at least one of each GS gun+a medic pistol if that's what you want. Akimbo magnums+akimbo deagles+single 1911+single 1858+medic pistol gets you to 15 weight (though it also leaves your secondary weapon slot kind of a mess). You can also do akimbo magnums+akimbo deagles+akimbo 1911s+medic pistol but IMO that's more of a boss wave loadout; I always end up running low on ammo when I take it for a regular wave.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 15, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
1911s, deagles, 500s, medpistol

the early revolvers are not worth keeping, cool as they are. I use them up and sell them for either deagles or 1911s. or a second 9mm if I'm a shitlord I dunno whatever

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Takes No Damage posted:

If that is where you hold one gun up towards the center of the screen like they did when dual 9mm first got patched in.......... :aaa:

It is, I use it pretty exclusively.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Psion posted:

the early revolvers are not worth keeping, cool as they are. I use them up and sell them for either deagles or 1911s. or a second 9mm if I'm a shitlord I dunno whatever

That's what I take for the boss, but like I said, on a regular wave I always end up real low on ammo with that loadout and I like having more of a buffer. The 1858s don't have a lot to offer next to the gunslinger's other weapons but they're plenty good at popping heads on trash and they come with a lot of ammo, so I prefer to keep them around. (The extra style points help too.)

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Theta Zero posted:

Or playing Firebug/Deagle Demo.

Demo and firebug get a pass because heavy guns yeah
But everyone else should be packing a med pistol

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Psion posted:

I really wish the 1911s and and early revolvers were swapped in terms of power and piercing. They're just so cool.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

imagine how good this game would be if the M79 weighed 5 instead of 6.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Demo and firebug get a pass because heavy guns yeah
But everyone else should be packing a med pistol
Demo can easily pack an RPG, Dual Deagles and a Medpistol.

And this is the optimal loadout, the easy trick of buying Deagle makes Demo fun, good and useful without needing to grind to lvl 15 for Siren immunity. It also means you don't rely on the Grenade Pistol at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kikas posted:

And this is the optimal loadout, the easy trick of buying Deagle makes Demo fun, good and useful without needing to grind to lvl 15 for Siren immunity. It also means you don't rely on the Grenade Pistol at all.

Yeah, I usually get the Deagle after Wave 1 for the Demo and it makes the class a lot more viable, since those pistols solve the biggest weakness of the Demo, namely being useless against stuff that's in your face.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Kikas posted:

why are you playing demo without c4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Missing a headshot but hitting the enemy really should not subtract one from the rack 'em up counter. If you're going to make a skill that rewards good aim like that, making it actually reward good aim instead of perfect aim would be nice.

edit: Yes, I know you could max out the bonus and just go for body shots after that for consistent big damage, but if your aim is that good that you can do that even on non-trash-mobs (which the 1911s and up will kill in 1-2 hits even without the bonus), you deserve to keep it.

Also, my name in solo has changed to this:

and I am very confused.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 15, 2015

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Because Dynamite works as well and I get more of them?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ruggington posted:

Because I can't stand the user interface for detonating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Also, my name in solo has changed to this:

and I am very confused.

The Demon Rush has come back to haunt us.