Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember seeing that live and going "what the gently caress???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw that episode live and I don't remember that at all. Might be a regional thing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I remember that and having a whole sleeve of Premium crackers afterwards too.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDKA97GcGpM

You can thank ronald reagan rear end for that

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Thank you Ronald Reagan, your legacy is intact.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I don't know what happened but I tend to have some repeats but not the same one ad again and again. Also, I hate how people don't understand that Hulu is different in a lot of ways than Netflix, between first-run shows, exclusives like FX series and Criterion movies and Seinfeld, and whatnot. So yeah, they charge what they charge. I like it because it's cheaper and easier than getting cable and DVRing the things I want to watch.

Also, with some shows I like the break that commercials provide because of how writing tends to account for it.

Their the same thing. Amazon prime and netflix both have exclusives / original programming and no commercials for the same price. I just :filez: what I need when the season is over if they are never coming to netflix. rip fx.

snergle has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Dec 14, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just saw a truck go by plastered in ads, carrying this stuff:

Their tagline was "Have you tried it?" ;)

Haha, how clever. Because the name of our brand is a sex act. How titillating!

I mean I guess in a way the ad "worked" because I'm posting about it now, but its pretty stupid, and I instantly don't trust any vodka that has to use sex. Good Vodka just advertises that its good vodka. This stuff isn't, I'm guessing, very good.

Its like if Budweiser tried to take those commercials where they make it look like the beer gets you the attention of hot ladies, and then completely re-branded the company around it. Introducing NAKED HOT CHICKS beer! You're sure to have a good time with NAKED HOT CHICKS!

Also they had a big logo for GF - GLUTEN FREE CERTIFIED but considering its distilled alcohol, I would really hope so. In retrospect though I guess it is flavored vodka though and I guess some brands use flavor additives that have gluten? :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Writer Cath posted:

But you might wind up with a few more issues.

Well yeah...you're much less worried about the headache when a screaming clown with tentacles is chasing you through a maze

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Pretty sure LSD works topically, kind of hit-or-miss for headaches though. Probably better than head-on.
Great for migraines, not so much for getting back to your plans for the rest of the day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GWBBQ posted:

Great for migraines, not so much for getting back to your plans for the rest of the day.

That was a good episode of House.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean I guess in a way the ad "worked" because I'm posting about it now, but its pretty stupid, and I instantly don't trust any vodka that has to use sex. Good Vodka just advertises that its good vodka. This stuff isn't, I'm guessing, very good.

Its like if Budweiser tried to take those commercials where they make it look like the beer gets you the attention of hot ladies, and then completely re-branded the company around it. Introducing NAKED HOT CHICKS beer! You're sure to have a good time with NAKED HOT CHICKS!

Also they had a big logo for GF - GLUTEN FREE CERTIFIED but considering its distilled alcohol, I would really hope so. In retrospect though I guess it is flavored vodka though and I guess some brands use flavor additives that have gluten? :v:

All I see when I read this post is: "They used sex? Pfft. Clever. Sex act. Titillating! Don't trust sex. Hot ladies. NAKED HOT CHICKS beer! NAKED HOT CHICKS!"

and I think that undermines your thesis of how this is a dumb move in marketing

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My parents have a bottle of that stuff and every time I visit I have to deal with them snickering and asking if I want to have some Menage a Trois with them. What the hell! That's gross!! Then when I get mad they keep laughing at me! :mad:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Also, I'm pretty sure every grain alcohol has gluten in it, so it's a valid concern. Vodka you can make out of pretty much any plant however.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Last Chance posted:

All I see when I read this post is: "They used sex? Pfft. Clever. Sex act. Titillating! Don't trust sex. Hot ladies. NAKED HOT CHICKS beer! NAKED HOT CHICKS!"

and I think that undermines your thesis of how this is a dumb move in marketing

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean other than "I skimmed your post"

All I see when I read this post is "think undermines thesis dumb" which doesn't make much sense to me??

FutonForensic posted:

My parents have a bottle of that stuff and every time I visit I have to deal with them snickering and asking if I want to have some Menage a Trois with them. What the hell! That's gross!! Then when I get mad they keep laughing at me! :mad:

Lol that's actually pretty funny.

"The vodka for dad jokes" would have been a better tagline!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure every grain alcohol has gluten in it, so it's a valid concern. Vodka you can make out of pretty much any plant however.

Actually, the distillation process generally leaves the gluten behind. If you're drinking alcohol made of a gluten-containing grain, though, there's always the possibility that the distillation process was performed incorrectly, or, you know, some of the thousands of tons of rye wafting around came into contact with the finished product. But most distilled alcohol will have less than 20 ppm of gluten, which meets the standards for gluten-free labelling.

Source: I have celiac disease and love whisk(e)y.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly, I'm more put off by the thought of buying vodka from a brand that I know for wine.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MFh0r2RJs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean other than "I skimmed your post"

All I see when I read this post is "think undermines thesis dumb" which doesn't make much sense to me??

I just think it's funny that this vodka ad got you so fired up about sex that you were sputtering about titillation, naked women and partying with alcohol. This was the exact goal of the ad.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i loving hate white people

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This easily could be a fake ad.

Also, Sexy beer ad talk reminded me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCOSejS1SSY&index=5&list=PLm-xHGFX5jXHV9bC_-Gevxgb7-hNJPXfs

The only difference is its got dudes rather than babes.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean like this?
https://www.ballsvodka.com

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Sentient Data posted:

I'd never heard of this one since I didn't watch it on regular TV, here it is (and :nms: warning since it does involve a gunshot wound, of course)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcum6lPrRo
Regarding BSG and marketing choices: does anyone else remember when KFC was running commercials for a Battlestar-themed chicken whatever named the "Frak Pack" The commercials only ran once.

I can remember turning to my wife and asking if I had actually seen what I had seen: KFC attempting to sell me a gently caress Bucket.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dogfish posted:

Actually, the distillation process generally leaves the gluten behind. If you're drinking alcohol made of a gluten-containing grain, though, there's always the possibility that the distillation process was performed incorrectly, or, you know, some of the thousands of tons of rye wafting around came into contact with the finished product. But most distilled alcohol will have less than 20 ppm of gluten, which meets the standards for gluten-free labelling.

Source: I was gluten shamed at the liquor store

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I posted this in the 90s thread, but I realized they also fit here

IBM really wanted Os/2 to compete with windows. Os/2 did have a lot to offer. It could multitask really well, better than windows at the time, and had a bunch of other benefits. It could run windows/dos programs in emulators but they ran like poo poo.

Anyways, the campaign they ran decided that its gimmick was not to show the product at all, just show people asking questions that were NOT ANSWERED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cYd6dxj7w

At least the terrible MS ads of the time showed people using windows and what it could do.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Probably there's a good write-up somewhere, but apparently IBM spent a few decades, especially the 80s, making new things/technologies and then refusing to market them at all and sabotaging their own sales because they might in any way impact or distract from the mainframes business. Saw a couple examples recently but can't remember what.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FebrezeNinja posted:

Probably there's a good write-up somewhere, but apparently IBM spent a few decades, especially the 80s, making new things/technologies and then refusing to market them at all and sabotaging their own sales because they might in any way impact or distract from the mainframes business. Saw a couple examples recently but can't remember what.

I have a pin around here somewhere I got in the early 80s that was from their Chaplain Campaign for their home computer. It's weird they'd worry about taking away sales from their mainframe because I'd think there was little to no overlap between the two markets.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Kareem posted:

My beef with Hulu is their inconsistency. I tried to convince my wife to cut the cord.e. But no, all the Food Network and Cooking channel shows she likes, .

lmao sounds like the problem is your wife, not hulu

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Dogfish posted:

Source: I have celiac disease and love whisk(e)y.

Is this you
http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/gluten-free-alcohol

quote:

All I wanted was a bottle of Chopin vodka.

When I arrived at the liquor store to grab a bottle and some ginger beer to make Moscow Mules for my parents, I found the Chopin shelf empty. I didn’t know what else to get, so I asked the man working at the store for help.

“Do you happen to know if there are any other vodkas here that aren’t made from grains with gluten?” I asked.

That’s when he gave me that look. Those of you who are gluten-free know that look. The one that says, “Oh, great. Another hypochondriac, fad-loving idiot.”

He tilted his head at me and said, “I’ll tell you which ones if you answer this question for me.”

I smiled. I don’t know why I smiled. I think I thought he was being friendly and might challenge me to a riddle. He seemed like a quirky guy and I’m a good sport, so I said sure. I’ve never gotten a riddle right once in my life, but I’ll usually venture a guess.

“People who are allergic to gluten are actually allergic to what?” he asked.

“Wheat, rye, and barley, mostly,” I said, feeling quite proud. If this was a riddle, it was an easy one, and it actually seemed like something he’d need to know to help me find the right vodka.

“That’s right. But I mean, what protein?” he asked with one evil eyebrow raised.

“I guess the gluten protein in the grain,” I said.

“Okay then, what are the two proteins that make up gluten?”

I scrunched up my face, trying to figure out exactly why he needed this information. Did he know which proteins were in which vodkas? Were there proteins in vodka in the first place?

“I don’t know,” I said honestly.

He cackled and mashed his lips together in a “gotcha” smirk. “And why do you think you need gluten-free vodka?” he asked, his glasses sliding down his nose, aimed at me.

“Because I’m a Celiac. I can’t have gluten,” I said as I picked up my phone and started googling “gluten free vodkas," wondering why I hadn’t just done that in the first place.

“If you are indeed a Celiac,” he said, tapping his fingertips together like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons, “then why don’t you know what you’re actually allergic to?”

Oh, I get it! I thought, as a layer of shame-sweat covered face. He’s telling me I’m full of poo poo. He’s saying I’m an rear end in a top hat for asking about gluten.

I don’t know why I didn’t just walk out of there, but if I’m being totally honest with myself, it’s because I’m terrified of upsetting men I don’t know. I don’t have this problem online, but in person I sometimes freeze when stared down by a man.

I wasn’t afraid he would hurt me, I was afraid he wouldn’t like me. I was afraid he would think I was a bitch if I didn’t laugh along with him. I was afraid he’d think I was lying.

I should have told him he had no right to judge me, and that his only job was to assist me in my purchase. I should have told him that unless he was interviewing me for a life insurance plan, asking questions about my medical history was rude, intrusive, and obnoxious as hell. I should’ve asked him when his last prostate exam was, just to show him how it felt.

“You know why I don’t know the names of the two proteins in gluten?” I should’ve yelled. “Because it’s been almost twenty years since I was diagnosed. Twenty years. That’s a full Bieber!”

But I didn’t. I looked down at my phone, fingers shaking, and discovered that Ciroc was also made without gluten-containing grains and grabbed a bottle, heading toward the cash register. I even said “thank you” to that rear end in a top hat.

Later I told the story to a friend who said, “You know where he got that from, right? Jimmy Kimmel did that on his show a while ago. Asked people coming out of a yoga studio who claimed to be gluten-free what gluten was. None of them knew.”

That’s when the steam started pouring out of my ears. Not only had he humiliated me, he hadn’t even been original when he did it. He did it because some smug talk-show host thought he’d be clever by embarrassing people. People like me.

I don’t think this man’s intention was to hurt me, or to remind me of the year before my diagnosis that I spent incredibly sick. Back then I had so many people telling me I was crazy that I started to believe it. Celiac disease just wasn’t a thing 20 years ago. In fact, the doctor who diagnosed me called it "Non-Tropical Sprue."

My then-boyfriend thought I was starving myself, and he cried one night at four a.m., telling me he thought I was going to kill myself if I kept doing it. I actually started to wonder if I was starving myself and just didn’t know it.

But I wasn’t. I was a Celiac. I am a Celiac. And I’m good now. I have all my hair and some softness to my belly and my thighs, because I’m healthy and I’m happy and because now they make gluten-free doughnuts and really good bread that doesn’t come shrink-wrapped to a piece of cardboard and shipped via UPS like I used to have to eat. Now I get to buy my bread where you all buy yours, at the grocery store. Where they also have the doughnuts I can eat. I love doughnuts.

But I didn’t walk out of the liquor store in protest that day. Because I’ve been subtly told throughout my whole life not to make men feel bad, I let this man make me feel ashamed. Since I was 19, I’ve been told that I was weird because I can’t eat this one stupid thing. And almost 20 years later I put up with, humored, and even said “thank you” to a man who treated me like poo poo, who questioned my medical condition and my integrity.

I was raised by feminist parents, and my grandmother was in the first class of women to go to her college. She was brilliant and secretly bought Xerox stocks in the sixties when her husband became ill and she was worried for her financial future. I wasn’t taught to defer to the will of men, but society still tells me that my value lies in how much I’m liked by them. Every day, we’re told in both explicit and implicit ways not to challenge them or make men uncomfortable, to always laugh at their jokes and to never, ever be a bitch.

I’ve spent most of my adult life fighting against these instincts, but being gluten-shamed in a liquor store and not saying a word to challenge the guy was the moment I realized how deeply ingrained in me this pleasing bullshit is.

Believe whatever you want about the medical reality of gluten intolerance, but it’s time we all quit acting like we know more about someone’s body or health than they do. Not just the stupid jokes making fun of people who eat gluten-free food, but all intrusions into people’s private body choices. Your opinion on someone’s weight, diet, whether they breastfeed their child or anything else should be reserved for when they ask you directly for your thoughts.

And it’s also time for me to conquer my fear of upsetting men who feel bold enough to stand in front of me and make me feel ashamed.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
It's nice that gluten insensitivity increases one's typing stamina.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
http://www.npr.org/2015/12/15/459788999/encouraging-tv-binge-watching-may-backfire-on-advertisers
NPR this morning played this, talking about how binge watchers of shows don't click through ads as much. Some dubious explanations get made that it's because people get wrapped up in fantasy land and don't want to come out of it to click an ad. For me, I binge watch when I'm doing something else, so I can't click dummies. Then again, I don't click anything ever anyway.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean I wouldn't want to click on anything because I'm here to watch my show, and that ad is definitely not going to tell me who got voted out of the kitchen or which loser is the babydaddy.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Gluten-shaming is my favourite stdh

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bast Relief posted:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/15/459788999/encouraging-tv-binge-watching-may-backfire-on-advertisers
NPR this morning played this, talking about how binge watchers of shows don't click through ads as much. Some dubious explanations get made that it's because people get wrapped up in fantasy land and don't want to come out of it to click an ad. For me, I binge watch when I'm doing something else, so I can't click dummies. Then again, I don't click anything ever anyway.

Who the hell clicks ads?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
^Appareny people who are just watching one episode at a go.

Puppy Time posted:

I mean I wouldn't want to click on anything because I'm here to watch my show, and that ad is definitely not going to tell me who got voted out of the kitchen or which loser is the babydaddy.

Seems pretty obvious, but no, it must be some magic voodoo instead. People secretly want to click ads. They're just hypnotized by the shows.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I posted this in the 90s thread, but I realized they also fit here

IBM really wanted Os/2 to compete with windows. Os/2 did have a lot to offer. It could multitask really well, better than windows at the time, and had a bunch of other benefits. It could run windows/dos programs in emulators but they ran like poo poo.

Anyways, the campaign they ran decided that its gimmick was not to show the product at all, just show people asking questions that were NOT ANSWERED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2cYd6dxj7w

At least the terrible MS ads of the time showed people using windows and what it could do.

I remember when they were running this. It was just baffling.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This is pretty fantastic. There's a reason Gluten free people get mocked all the time, because of poo poo like that. There's gluten in the world, I'm so opressed! My friend who's celiac does love the increased amount of stuff he can eat that doesn't taste like crap, but hates the bandwagoners who walk around with knives in their backs because of the evils of gluten. I once had a woman say to me "bread the worst thing humanity has ever done". Uh bread is why you can have that kind of opinion because the ability to make something that wasn't just what we killed or picked up enabled civilization to start.

I do find it funny that stuff that wouldn't have gluten in it at all advertise themselves as gluten free. There is an organic butcher shop in my neighborhood that advertises "All meat Gluten Free". I'd hope so, unless they were selling the meat of some lovecraftian terror that was half plant and half animal I don't think meat has any gluten in it. Unless the feed can enter the meat.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I remember when they were running this. It was just baffling.

Yea. I remember them too and not understanding what the product was even. They also had a series of ads with people in non-computer related situations talking about Os/2 and other upcoming technologies from IBM. I remember nuns and one of them having a beeper.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I do find it funny that stuff that wouldn't have gluten in it at all advertise themselves as gluten free.

I love this so much. The same thing happened with THE DEVIL TRANS FATS. "0g trans fats!" on the labels of fish fillets and bottles of water. Goodness, I'm glad this fresh cantaloupe is trans fat- and gluten-free!

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Bast Relief posted:

If you listen to Morning Edition often you'll know that anything Shankar Vedantam reports on is going to be the equivalent of a Buzzfeed science article. Its basically "generic scientist people found this interesting correlation" with very little information about the test and a whole lot of conjecture on what it means.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I do find it funny that stuff that wouldn't have gluten in it at all advertise themselves as gluten free. There is an organic butcher shop in my neighborhood that advertises "All meat Gluten Free". I'd hope so, unless they were selling the meat of some lovecraftian terror that was half plant and half animal I don't think meat has any gluten in it. Unless the feed can enter the meat.

Wheat flour is often used as a cheap filler / thickener / binding agent, so it can turn up in surprising places. Including sausages and hot dogs :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

aardwolf posted:

Wheat flour is often used as a cheap filler / thickener / binding agent, so it can turn up in surprising places. Including sausages and hot dogs :shrug:

Yea, but they label chops and steaks as gluten free. I can't fault them because it probably A) it stops a lot of dumb questions and B) appeals to their target market.

The artisan ice cream place near me has a big sign on the gelato case that said "these flavors are gluten free, these are vegan, these are not" and you always get people asking which is which. The girls who work there have given up being nice to the customers who ask this because they ask it all the time.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Pretzellogic posted:

Regarding BSG and marketing choices: does anyone else remember when KFC was running commercials for a Battlestar-themed chicken whatever named the "Frak Pack" The commercials only ran once.

I can remember turning to my wife and asking if I had actually seen what I had seen: KFC attempting to sell me a gently caress Bucket.

KFC with The Walkind Dead left a similar, lovely set of imagery, a nice reminder of what, exactly, meat is -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXNce4unN8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
The gas station near my house sells your typical paraphernalia like rolling papers and rose crack pipes but, because of its proximity to a school, can't sell alcohol.

They recently put up a big sign explaining this: "We don't sell alcohol. FAMILY FIRST!"

:haw: