Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

RedTonic posted:

I'm dying for another update to Dwarf Therapist. Managing my squads is agony without it.

The updated ini for 42.03 was already posted in the thread yesterday though?

e: Oh hey, the elves brought a breeding pair of tame polar bears for trade, time to slaughter some extremely obsolete war dogs.

Mygna fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Prop Wash posted:

Which reminds me that I need to download an old copy of MWDF and figure out how to transport "make full set of clothing/armor" over to a standard DF game. I should be able to manually add the reaction to an existing workshop, right?

Not in an ongoing world, but yeah, certainly. 0.42 actually increased the amount of default workshops that can accept custom reactions.

code:
[REACTION:LEATHER_ARMOR_SET]
	[NAME:Make a set of armor (leather)]
	[BUILDING:TAILOR:CUSTOM_L]
	[REAGENT:A:5:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE:NONE] 
	[REACTION_CLASS:LEATHER]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_LEATHER:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:2:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:2:GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
	[SKILL:LEATHERWORK]
This is the gist of it. I'm sure this is easy enough to repurpose for whatever specific variations you like.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Mygna posted:

The updated ini for 42.03 was already posted in the thread yesterday though?

e: Oh hey, the elves brought a breeding pair of tame polar bears for trade, time to slaughter some extremely obsolete war dogs.

Holy poo poo, how'd I miss that? Thread delivers, army is saved.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RedTonic posted:

I'm dying for another update to Dwarf Therapist. Managing my squads is agony without it.

They updated it just not the thread title.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Muscle Tracer posted:

Do we know much about the grammar of dwarfish? Word order and antecedents and conjugations and so forth? I can't remember ever encountering it outside of naming.

Only insofar as it doesn't have any of those things in-game, unless Toady changed that with the last release. As far as I know all the Dwarf Fortress languages are totally uninflected, but otherwise ciphers of English.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is the new update save game compatible?

Just take the save game folder from the old one and put in the new version right?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Unless specified otherwise (this isn't the case right now), yeah, it is. You might want to bring over the new raws into your save file for the fixed reaction and creature tweaks.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Two attempts at building a nice sea fortress today, first one failed because I forgot to disable aquifers, second one failed because I forgot to not get everyone eaten by a were-gopher.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I'm still waiting for Toady to add toilets and a sewage system.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

After a year toiling in the frozen glacier, the elven merchants arrive bearing goods. I never understood why people hate them so badly, they provide food and cloth so we don't have to.

Okay, now I understand.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I guess elf traders have access to divine materials for instrument crafting now. That's a neat bug.

Faithless posted:

I'm still waiting for Toady to add toilets and a sewage system.

IIRC he has explicitly said he's not planning on doing this.

I once created a fort with a "functioning sewer system". Every level of the fort actually being two levels is kind of a pain in the rear end. Needless to say it ended when floodgate confusion flooded all of the lower floors with sewage.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Hahahahahaha gently caress. The bug tracker doesn't seem to have that yet.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess elf traders have access to divine materials for instrument crafting now. That's a neat bug.

Yeah I got some rustling silk stringed instrument component from them, but I can't build the instrument. So far I don't think any other civ has brought an interesting material like that.

Can you have multiple civs from the same race sending trade caravans to you?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC he has explicitly said he's not planning on doing this.

I once created a fort with a "functioning sewer system". Every level of the fort actually being two levels is kind of a pain in the rear end. Needless to say it ended when floodgate confusion flooded all of the lower floors with sewage.

I feel like Today could fairly easily do this with "pipes" that work the same was as roads, or at least metal mine cart rails. Have a "spigot" piece that spews a small amount of water if it has water access, and automatically turns off after it spews 1 or 2 tiles of water. Do we know why this isn't planned? It's obviously not squeamishness or a lack of pedantry.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

I feel like Today could fairly easily do this with "pipes" that work the same was as roads, or at least metal mine cart rails. Have a "spigot" piece that spews a small amount of water if it has water access, and automatically turns off after it spews 1 or 2 tiles of water. Do we know why this isn't planned? It's obviously not squeamishness or a lack of pedantry.

I wish I had the actual quote but it was something along the lines of sewage simulation being gross, unfun and unnecessary (Dwarf Fortress). What he really needs to make pipes for is making multi-z level pumps possible.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I wish I had the actual quote but it was something along the lines of sewage simulation being gross, unfun and unnecessary (Dwarf Fortress). What he really needs to make pipes for is making multi-z level pumps possible.

Yeah, I guess I had only thought of the before of getting water there, not the after of getting poop out. I can only imagine the resulting horror that accurate pooping would wreak on the overworld. Still, I feel like modeling excrement output and decay wouldn't be that bad compared to, say, modeling the process of burning to death, or having your gangrenous limb slowly destroy your entire body.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I guess Toady doesn't like poop. Vomit is totally okay though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Moon Monster posted:

What he really needs to make pipes for is making multi-z level pumps possible.

Please yes. I refuse to make pump stacks over 10 z-levels big anymore. I just dwarfhack up some magma and call it a day.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Lareine posted:

I guess Toady doesn't like poop. Vomit is totally okay though.

I'm pretty sure this is because he has already looked into the horrors of the Internet hivemind. He decided that seeing what modders would do with a poo poo contaminant was just not on his bucket list.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can only imagine the FPS hit a sewer system with pipes and fluid mechanics would add.

Also wow you thought it was a pain in the butt carving bedrooms out before just wait until you need a plumbing hookup for them all...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

I can only imagine the FPS hit a sewer system with pipes and fluid mechanics would add.

Also wow you thought it was a pain in the butt carving bedrooms out before just wait until you need a plumbing hookup for them all...

You'll be doing that for the eventual beer faucet anyway.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Theoretically, pipes could simplify things and reduce the FPS hit from having water flowing through your fortress. You could do away with simulating every single tile of water and the flow in/out of it, and just treat the whole pipe as one entity (similar to how power is handled).

Realistically though....

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Ugnnn I want poo poo and piss on my succubi. Who's with me

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I actually think pipes could be done in a way that significantly improve fps rates for water and magma works projects. Rather than having the all the fiddly calculations for every square liquid, a lot of that could be hand waved away and just replaced by a required pressure per unit pipe length or something.

Edit: What Apoffys said

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah but you know toady is instead going to not only model each tile of pipe still but then also calculate viscosity of liquid and flow rate and blockages and whatnot.

And of course you can't have pipes and plumbing without a totally reworked ceramics system.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but you know toady is instead going to not only model each tile of pipe still but then also calculate viscosity of liquid and flow rate and blockages and whatnot.

And of course you can't have pipes and plumbing without a totally reworked ceramics system.

Which requires porcelain creation to be fully details, and while he's doing that he should take a look at glass, because of the overlap in use-cases. Any job worth doing should be done right so he might as well implement glass optics now, so that means reworking the whole lighting system, which, let's be honest, really needed a revamp anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

Which requires porcelain creation to be fully details, and while he's doing that he should take a look at glass, because of the overlap in use-cases. Any job worth doing should be done right so he might as well implement glass optics now, so that means reworking the whole lighting system, which, let's be honest, really needed a revamp anyway.

And if he's doing pipes and lighting he might as well line up some sort of electrical wire system involving copper etchings...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

You'll be doing that for the eventual beer faucet anyway.

I just want him to let us dump out barrels of liquid so I can finally have my dwarven wine pig milk monarch butterfly ichor moat.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Toady already implemented sewers underneath the towns, y'know. Cause where else are criminal gangs and weirdos going to hang out?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Toady already implemented sewers underneath the towns, y'know. Cause where else are criminal gangs and weirdos going to hang out?

Are they full of empty wooden crates and rusted iron barrels full of dynamite?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Toady should add in more night creatures. I want one that's basically the opposite of a vampire. Instead of going in to suck the blood out of innocents they sneak in to give vigilante justice to people who hurt someone else.

Edit: I'll also settle for dwarven secret police. Mash up some Tropico in this poo poo.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sankis posted:

Toady should add in more night creatures. I want one that's basically the opposite of a vampire. Instead of going in to suck the blood out of innocents they sneak in to give vigilante justice to people who hurt someone else.

Edit: I'll also settle for dwarven secret police. Mash up some Tropico in this poo poo.

The secret police is putting people you dont like in a burrow suspiciously under a drawbridge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dwarven justice is anything but secret. Its loud and brutal, and that's the way it should be.

EDIT: I really wish there was a way you could demand dwarves clean an area. I'm sick of my roads being covered in filth.

VVV "Interestingly, all tentacle demons are male, while other demons are classified as not having a sex."

Well that's awful.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 15, 2015

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

You could find yellow and brown ( as well as white ) "filth" in the tentacle demon pits, when those were a thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Internet Kraken posted:

Dwarven justice is anything but secret. Its loud and brutal, and that's the way it should be.

EDIT: I really wish there was a way you could demand dwarves clean an area. I'm sick of my roads being covered in filth.

VVV "Interestingly, all tentacle demons are male, while other demons are classified as not having a sex."

Well that's awful.

You don't just flush 40x40x5 reservoirs through your fort on a seasonal basis? :confused:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
All I want is the ability to use blood as a food/drink in fortress mode.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tunicate posted:

He's actually doing pipes, he's just making one of these

for every combination of temperature from 1 - 60 000 urists and roughness of carved stone pipes from +fine+ to ☼Masterful☼

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So Math posted:

Had a fey mood, and going through their thoughts I noticed I missed a god when putting up shrines. So I whipped up a quick shrine to the god of rain, and my dwarves decided this would be the perfect place for a statue of a blood man. I didn't even know those were a thing. :catstare:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I just went adventuring through the deep caverns with Em Dangalro, goblin Hammerwoman and noted coward. Highlights included a cave crocodile hanging out on top of a giant mushroom, which so scared Em as to force me to go on a circuitous detour so she would never even see the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Is it just me or do dwarves gain skill a hell of alot faster than they used to? Also, goblin thieves are ALOT more brave than they used to be. One bumrushed into the sleeping quarters to try and get a child before my axedwarf got to him.